• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

This is something that I've to disagree with. For a lot of S1 Kaiser's character could almost be summed up as "FAVAROOOOOO" IIRC. Good riddance.

He had other qualities too. Like constantly falling.

In all seriousness, I won't deny that Kaiser wasn't exactly a good character ever, but I liked his relationship with Favaro and he was generally fun to watch. He was fine for an extravagant interpretation of a chivalrous noble. In S2, he's pretty much defined by his indecisiveness and his poor acting. He's finally a knight, and a captain, but he seems like a loser 99% of the time.

Probably late on this, but...

Just read somewhere that Shirobako's website was updated to read "under construction" recently. Please, please, please someone tell me that this likely means a new season is in the works.

John Blade

Someone actually watched Kamichu ;~;

Good on you, good on you.

Thank you. You have to thank the anime trailer which was use to introduce me to go found out about the show as the song catch my attention quickly. I know something is good when I saw it and yup, worth my time and money for it.

Cute girls and cute cats fighting...

No I must resist, my backlog is too massive.
06db3c80.JPG
kamichu2014_01b.jpg
20080910153651.jpg
2011090223555885a.jpg

Update: Just found out the city it based on is Onomichi. Kinda interesting to see from image of the anime and real life.

We've got also scenes of people who don't care at all or even if they feel it's wrong, they don't air their misgivings given the general climate. I dunno, are we a basically expecting medieval society of all things to suddenly turn, even in small part, into proponents of demon rights and freedoms ? Especially since they used to be on receiving end of their ire for a long time ? What we have seems to me like a more realistic depiction of a situation where humans get themselves into the position of power.

I guess that's true. It still remains so simple and repetitive, though. E.g. the slave handlers could've at least some story of their own. Like, if the leader of the handlers in episode 5 had lost his wife to demon attacks back then, so his extreme treatment has some better motivation. It's not necessary as I don't expect slave traders to be the nicest folks but when we get a similar scene in every episode and they remain entirely one-note then it's easy to get bored.

What I'm also not liking at all is how there've been many fatal ambushes by the Rag-Demon, yet those groups don't appear to show any caution when they have every reason to be afraid.

I would imagine, on some level he's appreciating of the order and prosperity the king achieved though not the means.It's hard to turn your back on your country and even species and he's still confused, not sure what is the way he wants to follow or what is an attainable modus vivendi that he would welcome.

To me it just seems a 'honorable' person such as him would be far less tolerable of the King's deeds when he isn't actually presented with reasonable arguments and his advice entirely ignored. I mean he was a world-saving hero after all a decade ago. It's just that some more nuance and less smug "we'll destroy the demons because we can *smirk*" would help a lot.

Also doesn't help that we aren't shown a glorious side of the King. He's mostly shown in a negative light.

JulianImp

Tsuki ga Kirei - #5
Still cute, but I've got to say that cram school teacher conveniently talking about a fictional love triangle in class was pretty much unnecessary IMO. The boy's apparently too dense to even notice what's going on with the other girl while the couple's bashfulness is helping them lead the girl into the false notion that he's "open". I honestly hope things don't get too melodramatic, since I kind of like the subdued and bashful kind of romance the show has been portraying so far.

Post-credit scenes still feel out of place as usual, but thankfully I wasn't really paying attention by then.

Tsugumomo - #6
Harenchi!

Still, I wish anime would've alreay gotten over half-baked harem MCs as the only type of characterization available. They don't really have to be Makoto or even Agagari-tier characters, but them being thicker than a bag of bricks is one awfully boring and overdone way of maintaining the status quo of not solidifying any ship for the sake of continuing to milk the harem elements in cheap and dumb ways.

I guess that's true. It still remains so simple and repetitive, though. E.g. the slave handlers could've at least some story of their own. Like, if the leader of the handlers in episode 5 had lost his wife to demon attacks back then, so his extreme treatment has some better motivation. It's not necessary as I don't expect slave traders to be the nicest folks but when we get a similar scene in every episode and they remain entirely one-note then it's easy to get bored.

What I'm also not liking at all is how there've been many fatal ambushes by the Rag-Demon, yet those groups don't appear to show any caution when they have every reason to be afraid.

To me it just seems a 'honorable' person such as him would be far less tolerable of the King's deeds when he isn't actually presented with reasonable arguments and his advice entirely ignored. I mean he was a world-saving hero after all a decade ago. It's just that some more nuance and less smug "we'll destroy the demons because we can *smirk*" would help a lot.

Also doesn't help that we aren't shown a glorious side of the King. He's mostly shown in a negative light.
Yeah show would be far more intriguing if they should a competent, tough but ultimately Grey King vs this comically evil one. If he was a guy who got results done, was fair to his people, but just absolutely taking in this racism like it's nothing then I'd see kaisars conflict. Instead we got skeletor

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Someone asked a consumer affairs show in Australia about some release of Pokemon not containing all the episodes, and the company actually replied. I'm not sure why, but I found the level of detail amusing (especially when the host clearly didn't give a fuck and told people to read the letter themselves lol). The fact that they answered the sarcastic second question shows how far PR training goes these days, I suppose.

KraytarJ

I actually like Virgin Soul more before I went back and watched Genesis. Honestly, seeing how badly Virgin Soul has built off of Genesis thus far really takes the wind out of its sails.

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation Episode 17 – Start!!!
C_Vg23qXYAELjvu.jpg:small
C_VjoE6W0AAQlKH.jpg:small

One of the few times we see hotshot laugh, it was great.

Aoyagi helping Onoda get focused was just as good as Sugimoto's passionate moment with Imaizumi there riding, wish it wasnt ruined by the other Kyoto Fushimi.

Cornbread78

HS DxD Born ep.7
Always gotta hace at least 1 old pervert in the mix, but at least Odin is badass in this case. Now plot wise? Well, it was fun for a couple mins of harem hijinks, but yet another kidnapping plot... ugghh.

Planetes 15

It can be hard to fit a single plotline into a half-hour successfully, let alone juggle multiple, but then there are virtuoso episodes like this that prove it is possible. This episode

- Futhered the development of Tanabe and Hachimaki's new romantic relationship
- Closed off the subplot of Cheng-Shin's relationship with Tanabe
- Greatly expanded on Edel's character and backstory
- Followed an Orbital Security Agency drug(?) bust operation
- Furthered the subplot regarding OSA chief Gigult's cancer
- Showed Claire's growing discomfort, depression over Hachimaki's new relationship, and new sparks forming with OSA officer Hakim

All this by efficient storytelling in which characters are constantly rotating around each other in the same physical locations, their paths crossing and diverging alternately. Every moment has a purpose, yet without anything feeling rushed. It's a really impressive bit of writing.

Grimoire of Zero 5

LMAO at the dog jumping in front of the arrow. Saint Bernard is fucking Neo from the Matrix with those reflexes. Not only that, but convenient 'waiting until I can speak to you, and then immediately die' trope. Fantastic.

edit:

ATOM: The Beginning 4

Aight. It's decided. Dropping this show. I can't anymore. They make an episode about a fucking school festival. If they wanted to make a show about having school and wacky adventures with robots, then focus on the fucking robots. This show seems to have little to no direction and it relies on me thinking the cast of characters are likable or some crap. And I just don't care. How do you mess up the premise of a prequel to a classic show, and set in a robotics university? By ignoring all of the sci fi, engineering, and instead opting to having the two leads honk their noise every 5 seconds.

I'm done.

John Blade

Finish watching this two movie during my flight home and have to say, I can see why people like Hosoda Mamoru work and did get entertain when watching it. I will most likely look for his other animated work and buy it if the cost of them is cheap here in Canada.

I won't go too detail about this movie as majority of people here have either watch it and know it quite well now and the movie is very popular in the anime communities. I will say this, even though I enjoy both of the movie, I feel the Wolf Children is a better one over Summer Wars mostly of the story it's trying to tell which is nothing too crazy (basically a story of growing up and founding out what what you want to do in your life when you mature) but still powerful based on the situation they're in and the risk it might happen if it didn't goes well which you see in few incident in the movie. Summer Wars is still a fun movie but didn't really hit me even with the sad event. Also, how the family is kinda not united till all of them join together as a team at the end kinda meh for me. The OZ idea is interesting but kinda silly when you consider it suppose to be a virtual reality game but also business and government use the software which isn't a wise thing to do which you found out why.

Something I notice in both movie is the character animation (mostly the face) isn't detail. Not hatting it but notice it when MC is talking and start to notice the lack of detail. I guess it's his style but something you quite notice as it's literally in your face. For the other animation, it look nice and beautiful when it show the colorful side of scene.

Still, a fun two movies to watch but would recommend Wolf Children if you want a good Hosoda Mamoru's work (based on this two movie).

BEYBLADE VForce #45 Zeo Vs. Ozuma

Whoa, after being gone for litrally the whole season, Brad Best and AJ Toppper came back. The world tournament is ultimately fantastic just for them alone, I missed their hilarious commentary and their drama and excitement.

Zeo is incredibly strong, I wish we had Wyatt around too.

Cornbread78

Beck ep.5
Excellent episode. Spazdic Saito is a crazy old man, but adds fun to the show. However, that Naho x Koyuki scene at the end of the episode was great and it's a shame Saito had to ruin the moment, lol.

Gundam Build Fighters Finale
C_Vun_Q1_V0_AEQUdm.jpg

A promise between men is a beautiful thing.

A flawed, but still pretty enjoyable conclusion. Other people have already pointed out how this episode momentarily breaks the rules for the final fight between Reiji and Tatsuya. Honestly I'm not too bothered by that, nor the giant battle between the cast and the drone gundams. (Hell, Gundam Build Fighters has always positively reveled in fanservice, and that fight was just chock full of it. It even momentarily made me forget my hatred of Mao. Momentarily.) There were certainly some questionable jumps in logic here and there for the big fight. (If you can't predict at all, doesn't that mean there might not even be a problem?) The biggest problem with this episode is how the long awaited battle between Reiji and Tatsuya feels like an afterthought, and that is very explicitly not what Gundam Build Fighters was about. Especially after the excellence that was episode 6, which was all about how great it is to Gunpla. If this all sounds really negative, I still had a pretty good time watching this finale, but it felt cramped. Also...
C_V5rd_WVYAAmyq5.jpg

This is wrong.

Overall I would recommend Gundam Build Fighters. (Especially if you like nice effects work. Whew, some of the effects work in this series.) It's got a big likable cast that all bounce off each other well. (Save for Mao, he's terrible.) It knows not to try and go %100 all the time, and not to take itself too seriously. It doesn't exactly stick the landing, but I still enjoyed it throughout. Save for when Mao was onscreen.

Random Thoughts...
-Looking forward to Se Jun Kim's hand in Twilight AXIS now.
-There's absolutely no shame in looking up Rinko Iori fanart. I feel no shame.
-Hooray! A happy ending for the rich people!

Gundam Build Fighters Finale

A flawed, but still pretty enjoyable conclusion. Other people have already pointed out how this episode momentarily breaks the rules for the final fight between Reiji and Tatsuya. Honestly I'm not too bothered by that, nor the giant battle between the cast and the drone gundams. (Hell, Gundam Build Fighters has always positively reveled in fanservice, and that fight was just chock full of it. It even momentarily made me forget my hatred of Mao. Momentarily.) There were certainly some questionable jumps in logic here and there for the big fight. (If you can't predict at all, doesn't that mean there might not even be a problem?) The biggest problem with this episode is how the long awaited battle between Reiji and Tatsuya feels like an afterthought, and that is very explicitly not what Gundam Build Fighters was about. Especially after the excellence that was episode 6, which was all about how great it is to Gunpla. If this all sounds really negative, I still had a pretty good time watching this finale, but it felt cramped. Also...

The tossing away of the long-awaited rematch that had been teased for almost the entire show for lame brainwashing, a lame villain, and a battle with lame faceless mooks and an anonymous machine (and then a brief attempt at a rematch which was profoundly anticlimactic and cut short anyway) is the main reason I strongly dislike this show's finale. It's a similar problem I have with something like FMA Brotherhood: the shounen scale problem of forgetting about characters in the rush to provide a giant spectacle for the ending. That just doesn't appeal to me at all.

The tossing away of the long-awaited rematch that had been teased for almost the entire show for lame brainwashing, a lame villain, and a battle with lame faceless mooks and an anonymous machine (and then a brief attempt at a rematch which was profoundly anticlimactic and cut short anyway) is the main reason I strongly dislike this show's finale. It's a similar problem I have with something like FMA Brotherhood: the shounen scale problem of forgetting about characters in the rush to provide a giant spectacle for the ending. That just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I could definitely see how the finale could leave people cold. It would be cool if the upcoming series/ova could rectify this issue, and have the leads and Tatsuya finish their match.

Narag

I could definitely see how the finale could leave people cold. It would be cool if the upcoming series/ova could rectify this issue, and have the leads and Tatsuya finish their match.

I'd rather the show keep moving ahead rather than coming back to that. The characters seemed past it and it'd just be the worst sort of fanservice to loop back around.

It's cool we all make mistakes and you corrected it!

Honestly I don't really like the superhero trope done in anime because more often than not it has a myriad of characters having stupid powers (that one small hero that has sticky ball hair); just characters having powers without the superhero angle is fine with me like was done in Index/Railgun series. I recall one of the reasons I've put off Boku no Hero Academia, despite it getting great reviews, was the preview of All Might looking like a stereotypical blonde/white American hero, ironically when I finally watched it he turned into a character I really enjoyed.

The Royal Tutor Episode 5 – Assailed by the Greatest of Trials

What type of past could Heine even have, great warrior who had some crime or something? I can only think of negative things, but it may probably be something really light hearted.

e_i

I wonder, Funimation, did you listen to the Clockwork Planet Japanese dub? Instead of giving Naota a female VA, you gave him a male one that makes sound like a pretentious snot. A really fucking pretentious little snot.

Honestly I don't really like the superhero trope done in anime because more often than not it has a myriad of characters having stupid powers (that one small hero that has sticky ball hair); just characters having powers without the superhero angle is fine with me like was done in Index/Railgun series. I recall one of the reasons I've put off Boku no Hero Academia, despite it getting great reviews, was the preview of All Might looking like a stereotypical blonde/white American hero, ironically when I finally watched it he turned into a character I really enjoyed.
All Might is the coolest hero in the entire world!
Curious did you watch sub or dub? Simulcast or uncut?

All Might is the coolest hero in the entire world!

Curious did you watch sub or dub? Simulcast or uncut?

Defeinitely, All Might gave more superman vibes than... well Superman. Then again I'm not a big superman fan but I understand the archetype well enough. The big villains though seemed to be ripped straight from Index/Railgun though in terms of personalities and mental states, not that I mind. I watched sub on Crunchyroll.

Zero Mahou Ep 6

Hmm all out battle between two sorcerors got to use the equivalent of magic laser beams XD. Wonder what beast guts is gonna do to help turn this battle around.

Defeinitely, All Might gave more superman vibes than... well Superman. Then again I'm not a big superman fan but I understand the archetype well enough. The big villains though seemed to be ripped straight from Index/Railgun though in terms of personalities and mental states, not that I mind. I watched sub on Crunchyroll.
Cool! If you are ever curious, I think the dub is really good and at least worth hearing out. Christopher Sabat as All Might is awesome.

https://youtu.be/8TFAGAyLzcg

That clip is the dub version of All Might vs Noumu.

Prey

Game is twenty hours long and I feel like I got everything I liked out of it in 8.

Will forever be shackled as being that game we got instead of the extremely ambitious bounty hunter one

Aki-at

Virgin Soul - 1

Man, demons AND gods all battling it out with dragons thrown in too, is this Dragenkard the anime? Jokes aside I enjoyed the animation and premise but I should probably go back to season 1 and finish it before continuing.

Cool! If you are ever curious, I think the dub is really good and at least worth hearing out. Christopher Sabat as All Might is awesome.

https://youtu.be/8TFAGAyLzcg

That clip is the dub version of All Might vs Noumu.

I get a lot of guff for this opinion, but I really feel Chris Sabat is not as good an All Might as his Japanese VA. I don't think he captures the voice I expected to come from All Might. He's too gruff and rough and, well, I always just hear Vegeta/Piccolo from him. The rest of the cast I didn't have a problem with when I briefly checked out the dub, but I personally feel like Chris Sabat isn't really what All Might's voice should've sounded like.

I get a lot of guff for this opinion, but I really feel Chris Sabat is not as good an All Might as his Japanese VA. I don't think he captures the voice I expected to come from All Might. He's too gruff and rough and, well, I always just hear Vegeta/Piccolo from him. The rest of the cast I didn't have a problem with when I briefly checked out the dub, but I personally feel like Chris Sabat isn't really what All Might's voice should've sounded like.
Ah it's cool you can have your opinion! I have friend who has that opinion too.
I just beat him up when he dare spout such nonsense.

Love Rice Episode 5
C_WlCk3XkAACKY6.jpg:small

Prodigy Sasanishiki finally gets his HarveShow and it is the most unrealistic of all, still loved how he was able to stop the speeding train. Too bad it led to a coughing blood fit.

This weeks meal doesnt look that good :(
C_WlchpXcAAXq6q.jpg:small

KraytarJ

Virgin Soul 5
God Kaiser is such a wad. All 3 races living in peace? Come on dude you were there 10 years ago, you lived through that age you have to know that's not gonna happen and the humans trying to improve their standing in the pecking order isn't the reason it won't happen. At this point outside of Rita and Charioce there just aren't really any characters in this show I actually like, and since Charioce is clearly being painted as the bad guy there's basically not a single good guy I want to see succeed. On the brightside that ED is still fantastic.

Kenka Bancho Otome -Girl Beats Boys- Episode 4 – Fight In the Rain
C_WnaojXYAIjkgg.jpg:small

That Totomaru smile, you could kind of guess what the plan would be and how they would solve the Konparu misunderstanding but it played out well. Fighting wasnt bad either. I would love the anime if we had only Totomaru, Hikaru, and Konparu and no one else.

Room Mate Episode 4 – Miyasaka Shinya Is Displeased
C_WptzmXcAA-nc_.jpg:small

New ED, hm I wonder if it will do like the first one and make them eventually nekkid.

For the episode, Miyasaka ends up being the least good of the characters though if his design was a bit more attractive he would probably end up my favorite due to some aspects of his personality and how I like a few of his type in a few other otome animes.

Izayoi

Banned
It seems that I'm eating my words regarding 3D animation in anime... It really seems to be coming into its own. Am I wrong, or are the characters in Gran Blue Fantasy all 3D CG? The effect is really well done, if so.

Some shows still completely fuck it up though (see KADO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom