• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're like me, don't read the Manga because you'll catch up to the Manga and its so God damn far ahead I have little desire to come back to these arcs in Anime form this soon after reading

zulux21

If you're like me, don't read the Manga because you'll catch up to the Manga and its so God damn far ahead I have little desire to come back to these arcs in Anime form this soon after reading

I can get that. while I would love one piece dub to catch up with the japanese and just be able to watch it in english, it's also pretty great being years behind and rewatching everything and often catching little things I missed the first time. I wouldn't want to watch the japanese and then english a few months apart (most likely) though.

Cornbread78

New Game OVA
bUCsj9Z.png
I give them props for adding fanservice into the show. Well, not just fanservice, but 15 mins of bath scenes with just the office woman, lol. Despite that, it was a cute episode with the normal New Game charm.

Taruranto

LWA 18

Eeeeh, It was OK I guess, but I gave up on this series story/characters at this point. It feels like Trigger is just throwing random ideas/situations at it.

Aki-at

Attack on Titan - 5

Eren is insufferable, I'm glad the
Titan ate him even though I know he'll be back, whatever, it'll shut him up for a few episodes.
Took a while before we saw the first fight, people weren't kidding about the pacing.

Little Witch Academia - 12

So I decided to give the series another try and now I remember why I ditched it, it was this exact episode and another "wonderful Diana" that made me close my browser window. It was alright in the end though, the bit with Chariot's pass was pretty to watch.

Gundam Build Fighters Try Episode 8
download_1.png

This is lame. Gyanko isn't exactly a great character, but suffering such a defeat leaves her role in the show to build up the actually threatening team. Well, that and fawn over Sekai. Try overall has too many curbstomp battles. Like this episode had a brief, but enjoyable action scene that introduced this mobile Armour unit...

download_2.png

How do you not follow up on this?
...and Team Try just effortlessly rekts its shit in just over an minute.

Qurupeke

LWA 19
TjJ5PpQ.jpg

Red eyes + darkness = truly evil person
A lot of good Akko faces, in what was a pretty bland episode otherwise. It would have been more interesting if it wasn't a two parter and if I actually cared about Diana. Also, Akko looked like a kid in this episode, especially on the scene with the dress.

Laughing Salesman NEW 07

That first half was actually pretty interesting. It starts off with Moguro picking on a perfect happy family for NO REASON and then stealing the dudes bag when he doesn't comply, so he's actively baiting him even harder then anyone before him. But then he just gives him some advice and he kinda fucks his own life up? Like Moguro didn't really do a whole lot of evil magic here until the end.

The second half made me upset because Moguro punished the normal lady and not the overbearing worst type of person possible helicopter parent. Fuck those people!

If go home? If what?

:lol

IF probably stands for Imperial Forces or something because they are being occupied by the Empire.

Eromanga-sensei 6

Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. PLEASE!!!

cj_iwakura

I don't know if I'll ever watch the new season of Crystal because of stuff like this. The original anime made Mimette into a fun character, more than just a one off villain. I liked how it did that with most of the antagonists, who were very minor in the manga, but became more fleshed out in the anime. Crystal has always struck me as losing that sense of camp and fun that the original had.

That's what Crystal is; a manga adaptation, for better or for worse. That means every villain becomes a one-off. That said, they're doing it with WAY more charisma than Crystal 1 & 2 did, and are giving Haruka and Michiru some pretty interesting depth.

cj_iwakura

Serial Experiments Lain 2-6

Lain is blessed with a very special family. A creepy dad that loves hardware and an even creepier mother that only seems to eat and kiss.
Lain's sister was the only one that acted like a normal person and she was erased from existence or something, like a punishment for being normal.
Also, I still can't understand Lain, the character. I don't understand if she's good or evil, if she knows what she's doing or not, if she realizes her room looks like a jungle.

The show definitely outweirds almost anything I've watched, but it remains very interesting. I just can't believe that it will eventually have an explanation for everything it has shown, but its thematic and the fact that a higher power exists, kind of allows that, so maybe it's not impossible.

You'll understand soon enough.

Or maybe you won't.

mebious_icon_02.gif

Just hold off watching some anime and now watching old video from video games FMV from Wing Commander 3 & 4. Make me wonder if they is any anime which have the similar tune like Wing Commander except Macross and Gundam. I am kinda have this itch to watch one. Why do I like old FMV stuff.

wc3.jpg
Does this war agree with you?

I love WC3 & 4. Uh... go play Night Trap, lol.

Cornbread78

Beck ep.11-12
Some pretty cool scenes in here, but man did Koyuki screw things up with Naho. Stay away from friends like that dude, she's old news. His stage performance was pretty dope though. Good scene..

JulianImp

Eromanga-sensei 6

Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. Please don't go the way of Oreimo. PLEASE!!!

Hmm... looks like people still watching the show are showcasing symptoms of the Hinamizawa Syndrome. You'd all better move back there and get away from the triggering vector while you still can.

..Seriously, I watched the second episode today and after that I pretty much expected the show to be yet another retread of the same stuff we had to go through with OreImo.

Stardust Crusaders 10

I enjoy the travelogue aspect of this series. The opening scenes in India reminded me of my brief time in Morocco - swarmed by a mob of the impoverished hawking their wares and hoping for us foreign tourists to rain some of our riches down upon them. An awkward situation all around. Never ran into a toilet with a pig's head in it though.

While often the slow pacing of this anime can be a problem, sometimes it can be used to good effect, such as when Polnareff took a bit to notice the hand smeared on the window's reflections, or when he was scouring the streets searching for anyone who had information on his sister's killer. With Toshiyuki Kato handling this episode, I feel like the deliberateness of the direction was a bit above the series norm.

That pigs head in the toilet thing seemed like another wacky JoJo thing but later I learned that pig latrines are totally real and not uncommon in rural areas of India and China. JoJo is oddly accurate when it comes to locations.

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 19

As much as Diana is my favorite character (and she still is what with her hiding her sorrow at leaving and handing off a mission she's had since she was a kid to a brat because she realizes its importance), I really can't care much for this. This show is better when it's about magic. I'm not here for inheritance disputes.

That pigs head in the toilet thing seemed like another wacky JoJo thing but later I learned that pig latrines are totally real and not uncommon in rural areas of India and China. JoJo is oddly accurate when it comes to locations.

I just assume most of the details like that are things Araki found cool during research and so found some excuse to include them. This was extra neat because the appearance of the pig's head in the toilet after Polnareff took a second look at it served to foreshadow the appearance of Hanged Man in the window after he took a second look at it.

Cornbread78

Grimoire of Zero ep.6
Ok, that was a stupid way to end that opening fight, but the rest of the episode was pretty damn good. That final scene was pretty damn well done as well. I want my good times adventure back..

I just assume most of the details like that are things Araki found cool during research and so found some excuse to include them. This was extra neat because the appearance of the pig's head in the toilet after Polnareff took a second look at it served to foreshadow the appearance of Hanged Man in the window after he took a second look at it.

I'm sure Araki has talked about his creative process somewhere (probably JOJOVELLER where he makes a comment on every single Stand) but I think Araki just has the ability to think of something or turn something random into something interesting. Or he just hits random on Wikipedia until he is struck by inspiration. In Part 3 you can tell a lot of Stands are based on old horror movies - but I guess they weren't that old when SC was being written - because its obvious and Araki has said multiple times he's a horror fan. Tower of Grey is The Fly, Yellow Temperance is The Blob, Death XIII is Freddy Kreuger, Wheel of Fortune is Christine, Strength is Death Ship and Murders in the Rue Morgue, Ebony Devil is Chucky and apparently Hanged Man is very similar to a story from a serial TV show where someone is chased by a monster that can only appear in reflective surfaces, and the monster ends up getting the person via a reflection in the eye.

In Part 4 and beyond I think Araki may just take a concept and them develop an ability out of that - like Bad Company being based on green army men or G.I. Joe toys.

Taruranto

Eromanga-sensei 6

I'm not sure why are you even watching it.

Puruzi

Banned
Eromanga-sensei 6

Eromanga-sensei

Brother and Sister

Same dude that made Oreimo made this

Hello????

Aki-at

Rage of Bahamut S1 - End

QkzZluw.png

There's something about a giant fire breathing reptile burning everything to ashes that just does it for me.

So that concludes this series, I just love the dynamic between Favaro and Kaiser and now I get the tepid reception the sequel series has gotten. Kaiser has lost someone to bounce off of and Nina seems like she might be a one note gag of constant sexual frustration. The ending shot of the two friends riding off into the distance seems bittersweet to me now that I know for the next ten years Kaiser is going to end up at a dead end job with a horrible boss. Ah well, time to move on to Virgin Soul.

just admit you want to watch perverted anime instead of pretending you're disgusted by where it's going lol. Or stop watching. I can't think a show with that name ever lied to you where it was going.

Clov

That's what Crystal is; a manga adaptation, for better or for worse. That means every villain becomes a one-off. That said, they're doing it with WAY more charisma than Crystal 1 & 2 did, and are giving Haruka and Michiru some pretty interesting depth.

It's nice that the newer season of Crystal is doing it a bit better, but it still doesn't sound like it's for me. Maybe I'll watch it eventually, but it's not a priority.

Jarmel

Banned
LWA TV-19
First let me talk about the visuals. For a two-parter that is supposed to be possibly one of the highlights of both the show and Diana as a character, the storyboarding and visuals were flat as fuck. The camera angles are almost always straight horizontal to the character speaking. I understand the Cavendish mansion is supposed to be decrepit but they didn't do a good job of selling that, especially after the scene with Diana arriving at home. The character animation was extremely lackluster coming off two fairly strong episodes in that field. The only thing impressive from a visual standpoint was the tapestry. That was my positive comments about the episode.
Now before I rip into the writing, let me just call out how unbelievably lazy this storyboarding, and storytelling, is. She literally has a snake go into her dress and exits a scene by apparently extinguishing the lights and fades away with glowing red eyes. Fucking really? This is about as subtle as a goddamn brick to the head and seems ridiculously overkill. I just checked, Ragyo's introduction was more subtle than this. Let that sink in. The woman who molested her daughter and tried to kill off humanity had a more subtle intro than this. Continuining from this, apparently blonde hair is a dominant gene in this universe.
This is such lazy character design and is beating a dead horse at this point. This was Yoshinari's chance to expand the Cavendish family into a more interesting entity and we get this. Two sisters who have no personality other than following their mother's orders. There's so many ways of executing the 'step-mother's daughters' trope without making them clones of each other. Just as a point of contrast, let's look at Cinderella's family:
There's differences in height, personality, and color. All three characters in the above picture exert the same spoiled and rotten personality but their designs are different and they show off how a person can be spoiled in different ways. Maybe they have more personality in the second half but they maybe had ten lines total in this entire episode and pretty much never interacted with Diana by herself. There's a number of writing decisions where I'm wondering why is this even happening.
Another one is Andrew and his father appearing to go to a dinner. Maybe Andrew does something in the second half but his father and him show up, drop off Akko, go to dinner, say no to the aunt and walk out. Were they just supposed to be Akko's ride? I'll just assume that Andrew does something that justifies his existence later but it ties into a larger point about this episode in that it has a lot of bloat and not much character substance was given out about anyone. Unless that upcoming episode is full of action and tearjerkers, I'm already wondering if this should have been condensed into just one episode.
04yl1Wk.jpg
Iy3UGp9.jpg

One scene from episode 17 and the other from episode 19.
So first off, in a previous episode the teachers are running around as if an immediate emergency had happened with the Cavendish family. However here we learn that the aunt has been steadily draining the family's finances and resources. Now this doesn't make any sense. This would have been a known problem even before Diana entered school so it shouldn't be a surprise or new event essentially to anybody unless her aunt bet big on something and the stock collapsed in the past few weeks. However no immediate cause is brought up about the state of Diana's family and instead is shown to have been a long term issue. The second thing is that Diana has been in that school for less than a year. Why did she even bother signing up if she knew she would potentially have to take control of the family not one year in. Did she not know the date that the stars would line up? The maid says that she wanted to hold off the Aunt until graduation but even after Diana graduated she still wouldn't be head of the household as the ritual comes X number of years. Diana's mother seemingly died when she was young but the maid treats the servants leaving as a recent event. So the aunt burned through most of the finances in under a year?
j7TMx8A.jpg
kknrhH6.jpg

WHAT'S YOUR REVENUE GENERATOR?
Expanding on this, the audience is never showed how the Cavendish family brought in an income in the past. Do they own stock in companies? Magical Walmart? What is Diana managing if she quits school right now? Most of her servants are already gone so is she just taking control of the property? In which case does that require her to quit school and do this fulltime? I guess her aunt is selling the magical heirlooms to pay taxes.
aNf2j6T.jpg
bb_awwwwwkward.png

But you're not even bringing in a stable source of revenue?
The whole 'magic is outdated' concept is brought up here but it doesn't even make sense in terms of the argument. What the aunt is doing is at best delaying the inevitable. She's not even doing something 'modern' related that is providing an interest point of contrast for Diana's traditional ways. This is a problem because there's no real reason to take the aunt's position and her argument comes off as nonsensical. If she was using that money to invest in some techfirms, that might be a justifiable stance but there's no mention of what she's doing with the money. In fact the assumption is that the aunt splurges the money on dinner parties and clothing due to the way her children and she dress.
TlE3VZF.jpg

bitch you aint doing shit either
I still have questions about whether most witches even go to school to begin with? It seems to be treated in a fairly casual manner. I understand Luna Nova looks to be about the equivalent of an inner city school with their focus on 'teaching' but do people get credentialed at all? Don't you need some form of high school education? Even elites need degrees from Oxford or whatever. None of this makes sense. That's on top of an episode that was supposed to have fleshed out Diana but instead came across as a waste of runtime.

All of that said, "Hitchhike!" still made the episode for me.

I'm not sure why are you even watching it.

Eromanga-sensei

Brother and Sister

Same dude that made Oreimo made this

Hello????

I actually really liked Oreimo.

The problem for me was how it ended, but I enjoyed my viewing time with it up until said ending. So, yes, I am aware it's the same person but I am just kinda hoping for better sense this time since, once again, I am enjoying the show.

EROmanga...

OREimo

It all makes now.

just admit you want to watch perverted anime instead of pretending you're disgusted by where it's going lol. Or stop watching. I can't think a show with that name ever lied to you where it was going.

Oreimo I should've seen coming because of it's title. But I was too snarky for my own good and was, like, "they wouldn't actually do that." And then they did it. So, I am hoping they have better sense to avoid an ending like Oreimo's but retain what made that show so entertaining. Which so far is what it's doing. But, again, I don't know how this ends and it will turn out. I am hoping for the best. Planning for the worst.

Prove me wrong, writer!

Thoraxes

I must have missed this due to being busy with moving, but Pony Canyon USA is releasing Kuromukuro on BD in two sets. They're even making an English dub for it.

I'm honestly surprised. They had gone so quiet lately, I thought they had just silently shut their doors.

They also look like they moved to try AoA style releases and pricing structure, even coming in a little under AoA's usual $10 per episode thing. Before they were closer to like, $15-$18.

Either way, I pre-ordered both sets. Also I can breathe a sigh of relief that I may yet see Eupho S2 after all.

jman2050

Oreimo was a scathing dressing down of modern otakuism disguised as a simple romcom. The level to which Kirino and Kyousuke were taken down due to the corrupting influence of modern anime and its surrounding culture should be a warning to everyone who wishes to engage in the hobby.

The ending and the events leading up to it were just a downward spiral of degeneracy.

duckroll

I'm surprised how cool Netflix is with people releasing their anime Netflix Originals on BD and using their dubs. Can't think of any "Netflix Original" that gets the same treatment. Same is happening with Seven Deadly Sins (the battle action series, not the porn one).

I'm not sure why you assume they're not getting something out of it.

zulux21

Whatever happened to Crunchyroll's plans to release Blurays?

I recall them having Kabaneri in their lineup.

most series take 12-18 months between announcement of obtaining home video rights and actually releasing them.

I imagine we will start seeing them this fall.

Line_HTX

They announced their plans last AX. I have a feeling they might have an update at this year's AX. This is kind of dumb that it's taken this long for a release.

Whatever happened to Crunchyroll's plans to release Blurays?

I recall them having Kabaneri in their lineup.

The only one that has released from the initial announcement so far was Free! Iwatbi Swim Club, through Funi. Gintama and Bersek's dubs surfaced on Funimation, but nothing else.

Seems like Funi prioritized things like Mob and a few other shows from the partnership announcement. But Crunchy seems dedicated to pushing Kabaneri (the recent theatrical double feature), so that might surface soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom