• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I seriously doubt that was unintentional.

Yeh that was 100% intentional. Eren struggling like a maniac while Ymir and Berthold hold a calm conversation was hilarious. Hell, this time around Eren was almost endearing in his attempt to elbow-pummel Reiner to death lol.

Kickz

Gigguk with some funny impressions on Ero Manga Sensei, including possible Imouto Cinematic Universe
The show still looks like absolute cancer to me to be honest

N93Qtyl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hseORduMkM

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tanuki society while Yasaboru crosses swords with Benten
giphy.gif

JulianImp

Forgot to reply to this earlier.

That episode was so damn good. The tension is high because Balsa and the prince are trapped and depending on how the soldiers recount their encounter with Balsa the swordsmith might turn them in. Well and then the episode exceeds at delivering important backstory concerning Balsa while also deepening the characterization of the soldiers. The dialogue flows naturally and it's just kinda fun to see the blacksmith in control and smartly inquiring about Balsa in a roundabout way.

At first I wasn't sure if I'd be interested in this kind of pacifist blacksmith offering some wisdom but never fricking mind when it's executed so well.

Seriously a storytelling masterpiece of an episode.

Yeah, it was an incredible way for the show to flesh its preexisting characters out, produce a lot of tension using a device as mundane as a conversation, and also establish a new, interesting and complex character in record time. Everything in the show has been great so far, so I'm really glad you guys recommended it to me.

On the other hand...

Gigguk with some funny impressions on Ero Manga Sensei, including possible Imouto Cinematic Universe
The show still looks like absolute cancer to me to be honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hseORduMkM

The guy saying it's even better because you know Sagiri's going to win right from the start really nailed it. Better cut your losses and drop it while you can, because Eromanga-sensei doesn't just revel in fanservice and a premise full of moral issues, but does it all like it's the most normal thing ever, to the point that it's the prime example to whip out whenever you want to turn someone who hasn't seen all that much anime into a vocal hater of the medium.

And last but not least...

Tsukimomo ep.10

I need to go back to church.... New chick sucks, btw.

Please drop it, Corn. If Eromanga-sensei is a work of art, then Tsugumomo's most certainly art itself.

...Really, it basically runs all the things that are wrong in Eromanga and then some, and also amps the smut up as much as possible without making it into an R-rated series. Manga chapters probably come with a complimentary one-way ticket to hell to use as a page mark until you need to use it, even.

Tokyo Ravens ep.6

Oh Kon, how could you? Lololol

So many misunderstandings....

I miss yaoi ravens alot, cant wait to rebuy it and rewatch it.

Also that first OP, I hope youre liking it, X-Encounter is one of the best songs in anime, and Maon Kurosaki is one of the anisong goddesses I love. 2nd half of the op animation (after the logo) is my favorite part.

the japanese government should pass a law that if you have a son who works in the anime, manga or LN industry they cannot be within 100 feet of their little sister if they have one.

edit: on second thought, if they DON'T have a sister they have to sign an agreement they can't ever write a sister character that has an older brother. Because I doubt the ones writing this crap have siblings.

Tuck

Attack on Titan S2 9

I can't remember but did Reiner demonstrate signs of mental instability in S1 past the Marco thing in the flashback? I didn't have a grasp on the cast then past the main trio + Sasha as I expected them to all die so would have overlooked this sort of thing.

Not really. It's probably something they could have hinted at earlier rather than in retrospect.

JulianImp

the japanese government should pass a law that if you have a son who works in the anime, manga or LN industry they cannot be within 100 feet of their little sister if they have one.

I loved how Araragi said during Mayoi Snail that the only people who are into brother/sister incest are those without siblings of their own...
but then Nise happened.

Kickz

That image still for the gigguk video has me wishing nobody quotes it past this page while I'm on mobile in public lol

2913234.gif

edit: on second thought, if they DON'T have a sister they have to sign an agreement they can't ever write a sister character that has an older brother. Because I doubt the ones writing this crap have siblings.

Agreed, especially loli ones

ID-0 8

I enjoy how focused the storytelling in this show is. The writing feels tight and purposeful, which is good when it's centered around the search for answers to mysteries. It gives me faith that the show actually has satisfying answers prepared rather than just winging it.

KraytarJ

My Hero Academia 23
FUCKING YES TODOROKI!!!

*ahem*

It was a pretty good fight.

Attack on Titan 35
Ymir' backstory revealed some kinda cool plot points but she's still really lame to me. But next week shit's gonna go down and that seems pretty hype.

Cornbread78

Tokyo Ravens ep.7
Oh man, this new good/bad guy is a real piece of crap. Why are all the top mages pieces of crap in this show?

And last but not least...
Please drop it, Corn. If Eromanga-sensei is a work of art, then Tsugumomo's most certainly art itself.

...Really, it basically runs all the things that are wrong in Eromanga and then some, and also amps the smut up as much as possible without making it into an R-rated series. Manga chapters probably come with a complimentary one-way ticket to hell to use as a page mark until you need to use it, even.

It's almost over. Still not sure why I stuck with it; ok, it has a pretty cool tone, the art is nice, etc. However, then you get that 30 sec to 2 min part when you feel you are doing some very, VERY wrong to be watching it....

JulianImp

It's almost over. Still not sure why I stuck with it; ok, it has a pretty cool tone, the art is nice, etc. However, then you get that 30 sec to 2 min part when you feel you are doing some very, VERY wrong to be watching in....

I really feel for anyone who gets walked in during those scenes... The only one who ends up winning in that kind of situation is the devil, who gets a couple extra souls out of it.

Edit: I'll tell you, the next arc's actually decent in case you'd ever want to catch up with the manga, and it's easier to bypass the smutty pages as opposed to experiencing Tsugumomo in anime form. The arc after that one (which is still ongoing) is a freaking tournament arc though, so I'd probably consider it a deccent cut-off point.

Quasar

Tokyo Ravens ep.7

Oh man, this new good/bad guy is a real piece of crap. Why are all the top mages pieces of crap in this show?

:)

They aren't all crappy. But I guess that tends to happen.Happened in Harry Potter, and it happens in a favourite urban fabtasy series of mine, the Dresden Files. Its pretty common in YA for authority figures to be crappy like that too. Gives the kids an excuse to go off on their own and be protagonists I guess.

Narag

Attack on Titan S2 10

It's like it's already a sadsack world but anyone afflicted with the ability to turn into a Titan has 5x the emotional scarring. Figured the show would fall off some after that strong start but the Ymir stuff is really compelling.

The guy saying it's even better because you know Sagiri's going to win right from the start really nailed it. Better cut your losses and drop it while you can, because Eromanga-sensei doesn't just revel in fanservice and a premise full of moral issues, but does it all like it's the most normal thing ever, to the point that it's the prime example to whip out whenever you want to turn someone who hasn't seen all that much anime into a vocal hater of the medium.

That shade at Emilia though lol. "I have the highest respect for garbage men..."

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Twin Star Exorcists Episode 9

It took several episodes to get to something good, but the show finally delivered it. Wow that was dark.

Going into the episode they were
throwing out a red herring to make the viewer thinkthat Rokuro had a killing the younglings moment at the dorm

Benio's brother is a fucking asshole.

kewlmyc

From everything I've heard of the show in the later season, I don't see why anybody would dislike Emilia. Seems like Rem is a bit TOO perfect idealized waifu where she supported Subaru in all of his shit.

People only really dislike her since Subaru likes her more than perfect idealized Rem.

From everything I've heard of the show in the later season, I don't see why anybody would dislike Emilia. Seems like Rem is a bit TOO perfect idealized waifu where she supported Subaru in all of his shit.

Gigguk actually summarized it perfectly in a different video;

"She got deemed worst girl for doing absolutely fucking nothing."

So to summarize Rem being a maid just sky rocketed her, then she also happened to be this super loving waifu who would support her husbando through thick and thin. Put it alongside the fact Subaru gives zero fucks and still wants Emilia, and then apparently she is now a tragic loving Waifu (Punished Rem) which makes people love her more and hate Emilia.

JulianImp

People only really dislike her since Subaru likes her more than perfect idealized Rem.

Emilia's case is crappy because Subaru only "fell in love" with her because she was the first female character to ever care for him, which is meh as hell. Rem's an squally shitty love interest for Subaru as well IMO, because she's doing the same dang thing, only the the gender roles flipped.

If you haven't watched Garo, watch Garo. If you have, bahumut season 1.

Season 2 is a bit dull

Wow, why have I not heard of Garo until now? I only watched the first ep, but I hope it continues in quality. As a huge fan of the manga of Berserk, I see similarities(sleeping with a demon he is going to kill, the Berserker like armor), that it made me imagine the same studio doing Berserk instead. They even use a ton of CGI that actually looked good. Of course we don't live in that timeline.

But I'll enjoy Garo for now. Thanks for the rec!

kewlmyc

Basically because she got lkts of character developement and worked great with Subaru.

Yes (wo)men usually go great with anyone.

Just messing around. Rem is cool, but she's the most factory-manufactured character in the show. The nutso maid girl who eventually falls for the MC, and then proceeds to always be by his side and do whatever he asked her to do while always smiling and being supportive of his crazy bullshit. But she doesn't have her feeling replicated, so you feel sad for her, hate the MC and other girl(s), and buy her merch.

LotusHD

Banned

Regardless of the medium, it's just painful to watch the main character ignore a love interest that clearly loves them back. Also on Subaru's end, he was extremely obsessed with her, so yea, not healthy.

As for Emilia, I personally didn't hate or anything, but she was pretty damn bland in comparison to Rem, and then more or less vanished for the second half. From my perspective, I'm like if the MC is gonna have a crush, can said crush actually do stuff and show up more often?

That said, describing Rem as a "perfect idealized waifu" is completely spot on too lmao

Either way, the most important thing is that Subaru is garbage.

Cornbread78

So to summarize Rem being a maid just sky rocketed her, then she also happened to be this super loving waifu who would support her husbando through thick and thin. Put it alongside the fact Subaru gives zero fucks and still wants Emilia, and then apparently she is now a tragic loving Waifu (Punished Rem) which makes people love her more and hate Emilia.

This is far better than I could have summorized it, lol.

Either way, the most important thing is that Subaru is garbage.

And this is fact....

.JayZii

Banned
Sorry this is a bit off topic but I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I'm trying to find a somewhat recent anime opening or closing that I saw out of context, but I don't know what show it's from and am having trouble finding it. It was minimalistic with a pale yellow and possibly paper textured background with very simple –possibly silhouetted– school girls and like intersecting disembodied arms and legs intercut with simple text. Overall very artsy.

Thanks in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction.

duckroll

Wow, why have I not heard of Garo until now? I only watched the first ep, but I hope it continues in quality. As a huge fan of the manga of Berserk, I see similarities(sleeping with a demon he is going to kill, the Berserker like armor), that it made me imagine the same studio doing Berserk instead. They even use a ton of CGI that actually looked good. Of course we don't live in that timeline.

But I'll enjoy Garo for now. Thanks for the rec!

Garo is pretty great. The first 12 or so episodes are made up of more episodic stuff that starts to tie together. Production values are hit or miss because there was a lot of outsourcing for some of the episodes. After that the main story kicks into high gear and it was super enjoyable all the way to the end.

Don't forget, after the series ends, there's still a movie that takes place after it, with REALLY good production values. :)

Garo is pretty great. The first 12 or so episodes are made up of more episodic stuff that starts to tie together. Production values are hit or miss because there was a lot of outsourcing for some of the episodes. After that the main story kicks into high gear and it was super enjoyable all the way to the end.

Don't forget, after the series ends, there's still a movie that takes place after it, with REALLY good production values. :)

Good to know. For some reason, (maybe I'm a bit odd here) I avoid most anime series sequel OVA's like the plague. I guess it stems from my impression of them from the watching anime in the 90's where I felt they were all giant recap episodes for theatres. I've probably missed some good ones!

I enjoyed the first half of Nobunaga The Fool but the series started to decline when Jeanne was nothing more than a damsel in the distress, and The Knights of The Round were cookie cutter villains. The series had so many glaring flaws.

I enjoyed the first half of Nobunaga The Fool but the series started to decline when Jeanne was nothing more than a damsel in the distress, and The Knights of The Round were cookie cutter villains. The series had so many glaring flaws.
But it was still fun overall.

AXIS is still one of the more memorable things from the anime as well as the acoustic version (featuring Ruco)

Aki-at

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - 2

I didn't feel the first episode so much but this I was laughing non stop from the moment Seo was on screen;

I don't know there's something I like about girls being dicks, is there something wrong with me?

Nozaki's friend was a cool addition to the cast but Seo stole the show. Can't wait to watch more.

I didn't feel the first episode so much but this I was laughing non stop from the moment Seo was on screen;

I don't know there's something I like about girls being dicks, is there something wrong with me?

Nozaki's friend was a cool addition to the cast but Seo stole the show. Can't wait to watch more.

Lol, I miss this show. It's​ a great comedy from start to finish.

jonjonaug

Lol, I miss this show. It's​ a great comedy from start to finish.

The manga's still being published actively in the USA and has long passed where the show ends. It's still really good and funny, there's even been (a very small amount of) progress in some of the relationships as of the latest volume. I highly recommend picking it up.

zulux21

Yakitate!! Japan Bread-puns the show- 02-05 (or so)

Honestly, it seems decent enough but I'm not that interested in a bread-restricted Shokugeki no Soma of sorts. The characters are just too simple and there's basically no engaging plot.

And when the rival store's manager turned out to be the oh so god damn obnoxious flamboyant drag queen I immediately lost the little drive I had left.

sad to hear but not every show is for everyone.

sadly you won't meet the clown. oh well :p

JulianImp

Unless I'm mistaken, she's even voiced by Sawashiro... that's just too perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom