• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Man Tsuki ga Kirei has some BAD CG crowds

The rest is good tho

Although I see what people mean with those post credits scenes
Specially the teacher ones...

Omg these two

It's good, but I'd say it's a bit too slow at times, to the point I was actually expecting some twist or drama such as girl B's confession leaving the MC in a confused state; but no, it's just that they're moving towards becoming an item at a snail's pace.

On the topic of crowds, I'd say that moving characters at least make some sense since they're probably a lot cheaper produce compared to hand-drawn ones, but static images that still use CG crowds look all kinds of wrong... guess they're still cheaper on top of keeping a clear distinction between random crowds and important characters.

...And that reminds me that I'll probably never get over Kado's constant swapping between 2D and 3D representations of characters.

MSMrRound

What do you mean? They revealed what the two new movies are going to be about?

1- Mizore's and Nozomi's story- directed by Naoko Yamada
2- Kumiko's (and company's) experience as second year students

Euphonium is one of my favourite series, so I don't mind more of it.

The thing about Mizore and Nozomi was that they weren't really focused on season 1, which was why people were a bit disinterested/thought it was getting in the way of the main story when season 2 came about....

...but I guess a standalone film might be a good place to give us a lot more detailed insights into that incident that the 2nd and 3 years kept on talking about, about where
a lot of the band members quit the club. I know they showed us a bit, and that it was mainly the then-3years being pieces of shit, but they could always delve more into it.

Excited for a look at Kumiko's 2nd year as a student though, since this might as well be Euphonium season 3 in the guise of a movie. Recruiting band members! Relentless bullying between the ribbon and the ponytail! More Grumpy-chan!

Oh yea, the author of the original Euphonium works said that she will be releasing novels relating to Kumiko's 2nd year as a student as a two-parter later this year...maybe the film might take quite a few ideas from it?

I have to take a proper look at AniChart and see what Summer is bringing to the table, but overall, are there any shows to watch out for in you guys' opinion?

Personally gonna go for

-New Game 2
-More Fate trash is always good. A1 picures means I have to toss a coin and if it's the good A1 pictures team, I'll take that as a bonus. Get their C team and well...
-Made in Abyss (sounds like I should disregard the cutesy exterior and strap myself in via what others have been saying about it...)
-Netsuzou Trap-NTR- was reading the same manga a while back and was surprised it got adapted. Production company that's doing it doesn't seem to inspire much confidence though..we shall see..

-SENKI ZESSHOU SYMPHOGEAR AXZ- SYMPHHHOOOOOOOGEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

(To be honest SymphogearGX [season 3 from 2015] was kind of a hit and miss for me. There were some really hype-inducing episodes but then its later monster-of-the-week format and some story beats wore me down a bit)

Still gave us arguably what might be considered as one of the most epic 5 minutes opening scene from ANY first episode of any anime EVER: https://streamable.com/c0ic (season 3 episode 1 opening)

buuuut hey, more Symphogear anyway! Fighting with mecha-looking suits activated via the power of songs which are sung by likes of Nana Mizuki, Yoshino Nanjo, Yoko Hikasa, Aoi Yuuki (whose singing really came a long way since season 1) and more, A FONDNESS FOR CLIFFHANGER ENDINGS (which they continue to try to refine season over season), strawberry jam and lots more so buckle in for the ride!

If any of you out there are curious about it, the Symphogear series timeline goes
1. Senki Zesshou Symphogear
2. Symphogear G
3. Symphogear GX
4. the upcoming Symphogear AXZ so feel free to hop in!

(Season 1 was admittedly a bit kind of tough to go through due to budget and stuff but once you reach Season 2 onwards, the difference can really surprise any fan)

pbayne

Sailor Moon R 1

Lol didn't take long for them to rectify the ending of last season. Reading up on it sounds like they were in a pretty weird position with that. The filler villains seem fun enough.

I'm surprised at how bad CGI crowds tend to look in e.g. Tsuki ga Kirei. It always feels like they do something fundamentally wrong with the framerate. As though they can't convert a smooth 3D model animation into a smooth enough final 2D animation that runs at low relatively low framerates.

I mean, drawing techniques for making movement appear fluid when animating for 24fps and at 1s, 2s and 3s have been well developed of course and I guess attempting to mask 3D models and their animations as 2D is just really god damn difficult. Yet, I can't help but feel like it should be possible to do it much better.

Narag

Attack on Titan S2 9

I can't remember but did Reiner demonstrate signs of mental instability in S1 past the Marco thing in the flashback? I didn't have a grasp on the cast then past the main trio + Sasha as I expected them to all die so would have overlooked this sort of thing.

Eccentric Family S2 - 09

Can someone please kill the old, lecherous Tengu already. He's causes all the problems since episode 1 of season 1 -_-

Attack on Titan S2 9

I can't remember but did Reiner demonstrate signs of mental instability in S1 past the Marco thing in the flashback? I didn't have a grasp on the cast then past the main trio + Sasha as I expected them to all die so would have overlooked this sort of thing.

He's always been kind of conflicted.

Attack on Titan S2 9

Not necessarily "mental instability" but he was surprisingly jovial when he, Armin, and Jean were chasing down the Female Titan. It was a really tense situation and he was cracking jokes like he wasn't bothered at all.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 18

Bibury has a nice design, but other than that she's just okay. Will need to see more of her. I do like her evil stuffed animal though. Finally got a name for the main antagonist. Julio is just moping around. Did they think he would just come back to school after everyone knows he's evil? Spreading bad rumors about KiraPati is a nice evil scheme, though I don't see how it directly hampers the Precure. It might even hurt the villains more with how often they target their customers. The evil fangirls are now the Cure's best allies. Surprisingly helpful those creepers. I'm still enjoying the middle schoolers more exaggerated reactions vs the high school duo being more subdued. Though Akira is still more inclined to get involved with silly things like the paper cups. Why didn't Ichika and Akira go home together since they live next to each other? Good on the non-Ichika girls for getting things done without needing a motivational speech from their leader. Yukari shows why she's the best yet again by identifying the villain yet again. Bibury's plan involves running away with the Kirakirau as soon as possible. Better idea than beating up the heroines that's for sure. Good start for this arc. Hopefully Ciel doesn't disappoint.

Narag

Not necessarily "mental instability" but he was surprisingly jovial when he, Armin, and Jean were chasing down the Female Titan. It was a really tense situation and he was cracking jokes like he wasn't bothered at all.

That much I picked up on since I knew his deal then via cultural osmosis. The flashback had me wondering if there were more subtle elements that I missed is all.

That much I picked up on since I knew his deal then via cultural osmosis. The flashback had me wondering if there were more subtle elements that I missed is all.

In that case, nothing else comes to mind. It was always Bertholdt who always seemed like he wasn't all there.

Alucard

Banned
Been out of anime forever. Faves included Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, LAIN, and Haibane Renmei. Also love pretty much the whole Ghibli catalog, and some other random movies like Millennium Actress.

What's worth watching these days, specifically on Netflix? Watching the Blame! movie right now and am enjoying it.

I don't like the weird perv stuff and horny animators drawing women with a ton of cleavage and showing teenage boys freaking out.

Been out of anime forever. Faves included Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, LAIN, and Haibane Renmei. Also love pretty much the whole Ghibli catalog, and some other random movies like Millennium Actress.

What's worth watching these days, specifically on Netflix? Watching the Blame! movie right now and am enjoying it.

Since you're looking specifically on Netflix I'd say:
  • Attack on Titan
  • Death Note
  • Durarara & Durarara x2
  • Fate/Zero
  • Gurrenn Lagann
  • Kill la Kill
  • One Punch Man
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Netflix only has season one of Attack on Titan, you'd need Hulu/Crunchyroll/Funimation to watch the currently airing Season 2. Fate/Zero and Kill la Kill are both pretty divisive here so you'll hear mixed opinions on them.

JulianImp

I'm surprised at how bad CGI crowds tend to look in e.g. Tsuki ga Kirei. It always feels like they do something fundamentally wrong with the framerate. As though they can't convert a smooth 3D model animation into a smooth enough final 2D animation that runs at low relatively low framerates.

I mean, drawing techniques for making movement appear fluid when animating for 24fps and at 1s, 2s and 3s have been well developed of course and I guess attempting to mask 3D models and their animations as 2D is just really god damn difficult. Yet, I can't help but feel like it should be possible to do it much better.

Well, you could possibly look at the way Guilty Gear Xrd handled models and shaders to give them a more anime-style, but then again they took months to make each character due to the way the model data, shaders and animations worked, so it'd probably be quite a pain to implement such a system only to end up using the characters as extras.

I also agree that the limited number of keyframes is way more apparent in CG models than in traditional animation, but I think it might mostly be an issue with the animations being mostly cheap tweens, where the crowd animators might not have tweaked or even looked at the tweening curves.

Edit: to avoid double-posting
  • Kill la Kill

I'd probably cut KLK from that list since it does feature fanservice pretty heavily, which goes against what s/he was asking for.

I don't really know what's available in Netflix, but I'll throw in some other series just in case:
  • Baccano! (action with a bit of supernatural stuff, set in early 1900s pseudo-USA, I think)
  • Space Dandy (episodic sci-fi comedy)
  • Showa Genjou Rakugo Shinjuu (drama centered around performers of rakugo, a dying art form in circa WW2 Japan)
  • Thunderbolt Fantasy (action and fantasy-themed puppet show)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (fantastic action shounen with really compelling characters and plot)
  • Black Lagoon (follows a band of mercenaries as they try to survive in a lawless city)
  • Samurai Champloo (part of the same staff as Cowboy Bebop, I think? Ancient Japanese-themed, and mostly episodic while still having an overarching narrative somewhat like Bebop's but lighter, I'd say)

Eccentric Family S2 09

"What if we piss off Benten or Akadama?" "Don't worry, if we just blame me, nobody else will get hurt." The most brilliant plan. At least Nidaime is there to clean up the trash.

I look forward to adventures of Yajiro next episode.

BokuHero 23

That was some Mob Psycho level shit, and not just because of Yutapon.

Re:Creators 09

Sharktooth girl is more entertaining then everyone else but the MC is such a wet blanket that its impossible to make good interactions with anyone when hes involved

Eccentric Family S2 09

"What if we piss off Benten or Akadama?" "Don't worry, if we just blame me, nobody else will get hurt." The most brilliant plan. At least Nidaime is there to clean up the trash.

I look forward to adventures of Yajiro next episode.

I almost think Yasaburo tried to overcompensate after his mountain's mini exile, and do something very foolish, very him. This time it got out of his hands.

I think Benten's fury came more from the fact they acted behind her back, as if she couldn't be reasonable and was only an capricious tanuki-eater (which of course it's kind of true, just don't say it on her face). In the end it only reinforces that behavior of hers ('they believe I'm an evil witch, you will have an evil witch' type of scenario).
In general terms I think the author could be setting up some kind of redemption arc for her in the third novel. From a pure fiction-making perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense to use up so much of the first two novels in the character if in the end you just say "it's just a capricious, bitchy woman". You are going to make some kind of character arc with her, surely. Hell, we already got the start of it in the first season, where we saw she had some issues hidden within her.

I don't think there was any avoiding this Benten situation. She would have thrown a fit even had she been informed prior. The choices were to do what was done or to kowtow to her and let her be the observer.

kewlmyc

1- Mizore's and Nozomi's story- directed by Naoko Yamada
2- Kumiko's (and company's) experience as second year students

Euphonium is one of my favourite series, so I don't mind more of it.

The thing about Mizore and Nozomi was that they weren't really focused on season 1, which was why people were a bit disinterested/thought it was getting in the way of the main story when season 2 came about....

...but I guess a standalone film might be a good place to give us a lot more detailed insights into that incident that the 2nd and 3 years kept on talking about, about where
a lot of the band members quit the club. I know they showed us a bit, and that it was mainly the then-3years being pieces of shit, but they could always delve more into it.

Excited for a look at Kumiko's 2nd year as a student though, since this might as well be Euphonium season 3 in the guise of a movie. Recruiting band members! Relentless bullying between the ribbon and the ponytail! More Grumpy-chan!

A movie about Oboe chick sounds boring as hell, but if it's a prequel about the fall of the band, then I wouldn't mind that.

JulianImp

A movie about Oboe chick sounds boring as hell, but if it's a prequel about the fall of the band, then I wouldn't mind that.

The only thing I remember fondly about Mizore was how the show's VAs would fawn over her in the mini-radio programs, but that probably doesn't count since it isn't in-universe anyway.

Been out of anime forever. Faves included Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, LAIN, and Haibane Renmei. Also love pretty much the whole Ghibli catalog, and some other random movies like Millennium Actress.

I don't like the weird perv stuff and horny animators drawing women with a ton of cleavage and showing teenage boys freaking out.
  • Attack on Titan
  • Death Note
  • Durarara & Durarara x2
  • Fate/Zero
  • Gurrenn Lagann
  • Kill la Kill
  • One Punch Man
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Netflix only has season one of Attack on Titan, you'd need Hulu/Crunchyroll/Funimation to watch the currently airing Season 2. Fate/Zero and Kill la Kill are both pretty divisive here so you'll hear mixed opinions on them.
I can't say if any of these below are on Netflix since I don't have the service, but I'll throw a few more recommendations your way.

While it's a little old, Fullmetal Alchemist still holds up quite well, though you may have still been watching anime when it still came out. If you haven't, be sure to watch the original before Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which is a more accurate manga adaptation than the original (the first series aired before the manga was completed).

If you like mob dramas, you'd probably like 91 Days. It has a bit of an awkward start but it's excellent after that. Also related to mafia drama, the author of Durarara!! also wrote a supernatural mob story called Baccano! that I'd argue is better than Durarara!!

As for one final recommendation, if you haven't seen either season of Ghost on the Shell: Stand Alone Complex I would wholeheartedly recommended it if you have any fascination with cyberpunk whatsoever.

Again, I apologize if none of these are on Netflix, but I thought I'd throw them out in case you want to check to see if they're for you.

Mushi-shi appears to be on Netflix, so, can't go wrong with that.

I'd also suggest Attack on Titan and maybe Gunslinger Girl is to your liking.

Seirei no Moribito - #8
This show continues to amaze me. The whole excange between the swordsmen and the blacksmith was great, and helped made the swordsmen and the blacksmith into truly multi-faceted characters rather than the generic, one-dimensioned ones I'm used to seeing in anime.

Forgot to reply to this earlier.

That episode was so damn good. The tension is high because Balsa and the prince are trapped and depending on how the soldiers recount their encounter with Balsa the swordsmith might turn them in. Well and then the episode exceeds at delivering important backstory concerning Balsa while also deepening the characterization of the soldiers. The dialogue flows naturally and it's just kinda fun to see the blacksmith in control and smartly inquiring about Balsa in a roundabout way.

At first I wasn't sure if I'd be interested in this kind of pacifist blacksmith offering some wisdom but never fricking mind when it's executed so well.

Seriously a storytelling masterpiece of an episode.

KiraKira Precure a la Mode 18

DBfycS6VYAE0Cw3.jpg:large
DBf2F45VwAAciQG.jpg

Here we go, Ciel time, time to see what the justification of making her a Precure is. Julio seems to be aware of her too going by the last episode.

Quasar

I'm not particularly enthused about the Eupho announcements at this point and would rather they do something new instead but whatever. They're doubling down on the worst arc last season.

Really not interested in recap movies. They seem pointless to me, especially given the limited screenings they normally have. But I guess they are worth it financially.

Yakitate!! Japan Bread-puns the show- 02-05 (or so)

Honestly, it seems decent enough but I'm not that interested in a bread-restricted Shokugeki no Soma of sorts. The characters are just too simple and there's basically no engaging plot.

And when the rival store's manager turned out to be the oh so god damn obnoxious flamboyant drag queen I immediately lost the little drive I had left.

Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 8
This is such a cute show. I appreciate how natural their relationship is. Also all the shorts at the end are just hilarious. But what's the deal with the teacher in love with the student?? That seems really out of place for the tone of the series.

Renai Boukun Episode 9
First half was eh, second half was a little better. Still just an average episode though I'd say.

KABUKIBU! Episode 9
Things have finally picked up a bit, with Jin so threatened by the newcomers.

Hinako Note Episode 9
As much as this looks and feels like it wants to be another Lucky Star, it has none of the charm and wit, so it really falls short.

Seikai Suru Kado Episode 8
That smirk at the end of the episode. I've been waiting for that moment zaShunina's intentions become clear and I think it's finally happening. Even with all of the vague warnings they showed beforehand, I think broadcasting was very irresponsible decision, albeit a realistically possible one.

Shingeki no Kyojin 2nd Season Episode 10
Wow that felt like a big reveal dump. Lots of big clues as to what's going on with Titan transformations and shifters. It makes me wonder how much more if anything they'll reveal in the remaining 2 episodes, especially as the manga's not even really close to finishing, right? Anywho, Eren continues to be an insufferable and dumb character.

Re:CREATORS Episode 9
I'm really enjoying Re:Creators and this episode just further cemented that. It was a really good episode. Magane is a great villain. Even though it was clear that
Mamika was going to die, it's a shame since she was undoubtedly the character who's had the most positive development.

GRANBLUE FANTASY The Animation Episode 10
So Lyria is some kind of tool, but what exactly does she do? Summon the gods?

Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season Episode 10
I was hoping Midoriya would win, but that was quite the battle. It'll be hard for any of the later battles to compare. I hate seeing Todoroki's dad get the smug satisfaction though, even more so now that we know how fucked up his childhood was.

Eromanga Sensei Episode 9
Ehhh the inevitable beach episode. Not sure if I enjoy how this is shifting into a harem though. The sibcest is bad enough.

Kyoukai no RINNE 3 Episode 9
Please, Rinne, just some relationship development, that's all I want.

So catch up from what I watched over the weekend:

MHA Episode 23: That shit was fucking hype. I always dread these early fights Deku have due to him constantly self-harming from One For All, but the animation absolutely exceeded my expectations. This may top the Reiner and Bertholdt reveal or best moment of the season.

Attack on Titans Episode 35: Ymir has been saving these last few batches of episode. I'm glad Studio Wit decided to include more of her backstory here that didn't get elaborated on until further down the line in the manga. Outside of that, this felt like a bit of a retread of the previous episode. Eren beating Reiner with his stubby arms in the background while Ymir and Bertholdt hold a casual conversation was unintentionally hilarious.

Re:Creators Episode 9: I've dug these last couple of episodes for the most part. Kudos to the writers for actually pulling the trigger
and having Mamika die.
Alice is dumbass, and I honestly think she's doomed to be the Lancer of this show. Magane is the best character. Sota's angst is still toeing the line of being insufferable.

Silver Spoon - Completed: This has been another series on my "to watch" list for the longest time. I actually quite enjoyed to the point where I actually started to read the manga. I have to give Arakawa props for making Hachiken's culture clash with getting used to farming life actually endearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom