• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

I'm not particularly enthused about the Eupho announcements at this point and would rather they do something new instead but whatever. They're doubling down on the worst arc last season.
I'll take anything over recap movies. And more Eupho is okay on my book.
What happened to that LN which was hyped by all kind of people here and in the internet?

Violet Something I guess.
It's still coming but I think it hasn't been confirmed if it's a TV series, OVA series or movies.

Wow, sooner than I expected.

JulianImp

Oh, I agree, but that is an "industry/otaku" problem...

If the demand is there yadda yadda..

Yeah sure, why try to come up with an interesting story when you can just go to the Anime section of TV Tropes and lift the high concept for your next story, all of its characters and even story beats from there, right?

..Seriously, I'm not a fan of series that just copy-paste character archetypes wholesale and just go on play them perfectly straight. It almost makes me want to think that there's a single, multiverse-spanning entity per personality type that's actually possessing all the kuuderes, tsunderes, yanderes, thousand-year-old lolis, ojou-samas, childhood friends and so on and making them into the exact same character regardless of space, time and dimensions, because it's otherwise mind-numbing how cheap writers can be at times.

But I guess most anime does that. For example Eromanga-sensei constantly goes on about stuff such as the heroine of the MC's latest work being identified merely as "the little sister", as if that was enough to give a general sense of how the character is, acts, thinks and so on, whereas normally it'd be more of an all-but-useless blanket statement like "the heroine is 1.60 meters tall"... Except that in anime "the little sister" package already comes with enough characterization tropes associated with it that you can say just that, and that already gives the audience the image of the cute and fragile younger sister that must be protected because she's both younger and female.

If I was to watch a serious(at least non comedy focused) fantasy action anime, which of these would be best to choose from:

GranBlue
Rage of Bahamut
Grimgar

It's best if it focuses on action and fast moving plot. I just want something bingeable for the summer.

LotusHD

Banned
If I was to watch a serious(at least non comedy focused) fantasy action anime, which of these would be best to choose from:

GranBlue
Rage of Bahamut
Grimgar

It's best if it focuses on action and fast moving plot. I just want something bingeable for the summer.

I haven't watched GranBlue, but Rage of Bahamut was pretty good, with the main cast being a particular highlight. Grimgar, assuming it's the show I'm thinking of, is slow as fuck.

phaze

GranBlue
Rage of Bahamut
Grimgar

Rage of Bahamut seems like the only sane pick given your criteria. S1 more than S2 at this point in time though.

My wedding reception just finished. We're both exhausted, but we had a blast!

Only our friends noticed the stealth weeb playlist we had on during dinner, which were jazz remixes of different anime themes. They really appreciated that.

Omedetou!

Hibike movies said:
Mizore and Nozomi's Story Director : Naoko Yamada
Kumiko and her friend's story in second grade Director : Tatsuya Ishihara
Both are in 2018

Not sure I've much interest remaining after season 2 but maybe the second grade film might tickle my fancy, especially since that could be original material as the novels were more or less already adopted, right?

I'll stay far away from more Mizore and Nozomi.

phaze

Omedetou!

Mizore and Nozomi's Story Director

ow68sadrczcq.jpg

duckroll

Virgin Bahamut - Episode 9

Why are the monster girls all hostesses now? What the fuck is wrong with this world?

Gran's blue fantasy - Episode 10

Probably the ugliest episode yet, clearly mostly outsource, but Leviathan still looked pretty awesome. Maybe something will actually happen in the next episode though. Zzzz.

I'm not excited about the new Euphonium movies after season 2 left such a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe I can hope that the storytelling will be better in these films - at least the Yamada-directed one. It's probably best to keep expectations for the Ishihara-directed film at rock bottom.

I'm not particularly enthused about the Eupho announcements at this point and would rather they do something new instead but whatever. They're doubling down on the worst arc last season.

Yuyucow on Twitter was supposing that KyoAni will mostly keep their theatrical projects to previously established franchises while introducing new franchises with TV series as with Violet Evergarden. That makes a certain amount of business sense. I would rather see KyoAni do more stand-alone films such as A Silent Voice myself, but it is what it is.

Violet Evergarden. That's a TV anime in Winter. We'll see as I don't necessarily trust Ishidate after KnK.

Kyoukai no Kanata had bad material, no question, but Ishidate's visual direction was exceptionally creative. I wouldn't count him out.

GranBlue
Rage of Bahamut
Grimgar

GranBlue, but Grimgar is a good second choice. Though since Cygames is both Rage of Baha and GranBlue, you could do both.

Spring went by so fast. Overall with only 3-4 weeks left for most shows I gotta say, this was single-handedly one of the weakest season of recent years for me. A quick look at my post count shows that much lol. I don't want to think that my tastes changed from the previous season to this one, but nothing really stood out much for me aside from Kado at the start until it began getting into sorta crappy territory and AoT, which is honestly the AOTS for me. Tsuki ga Kirei was cute and nice at first, and still is, but it's just way too slow and annoying at times due to how awkward the kids are.

I have to take a proper look at AniChart and see what Summer is bringing to the table, but overall, are there any shows to watch out for in you guys' opinion?

TUSR

Banned
Spring went by so fast. Overall with only 3-4 weeks left for most shows I gotta say, this was single-handedly one of the weakest season of recent years for me. A quick look at my post count shows that much lol. I don't want to think that my tastes changed from the previous season to this one, but nothing really stood out much for me aside from Kado at the start until it began getting into sorta crappy territory and AoT, which is honestly the AOTS for me. Tsuki ga Kirei was cute and nice at first, and still is, but it's just way too slow and annoying at times due to how awkward the kids are.

I have to take a proper look at AniChart and see what Summer is bringing to the table, but overall, are there any shows to watch out for in you guys' opinion?
someone let me know what's looks good next season

this season I graduated, started my career, and caught up with friends.

And watched eromanga

Not an Eccentric Family fan? Too bad.

I am most excited for The Reflection, due to Nagahama, Umakoshi, and Studio Pablo's involvement and the unique visual style Nagahama is going for. Secondarily I am excited for Welcome to the Ballroom, as it looks like a high quality adaptation of a respected manga about an interesting subject. Otherwise I am interested in Kakegurui because of director Yuichiro Hayashi, though I am worried that it won't have much production resources to work with; Made in Abyss because of the talented staff and attractive trailers, though I am worried about the manga's reputation; 18if because of Koji Morimoto's involvement, though I have no real idea how it'll turn out; Altair because of Furuhashi and the manga's reputation, though again concerned about MAPPA's resources; and Mahoujin Guru Guru because of the cute trailer, though I am concerned because its original director was fired.

Spring went by so fast. Overall with only 3-4 weeks left for most shows I gotta say, this was single-handedly one of the weakest season of recent years for me.

I agree. Most of my posting content this season has been about my backlog that I've been watching moreso than any currently airing season.

I'm actually on the verge of dropping quite a few of the shows I've been following. :p

2 Eccentric 2 Family 9

Ok at this point, if you're still rooting for Benten then I don't know what to say. What an utter asshole. Nidaime was introduced to the setting specifically to show what a high and might tengu character SHOULD be. Nidaime is my husbando. Save us from this god damn uppity fucking wanna be queen. Kick her ass. My poor kawaii tanukis don't deserve any of this.

So I had a quick look at AniChart. Before I answer to everyone, here's what looks kind of interesting to me, quite a few shows... Way more than normal:

- Knights & Magic
- The Reflection Wave One
- Owarimonogatari (Ge)
- Netsuzou Trap [note: I am hoping this is another Scum's Wish, but I doubt it]
- Fate/Apocrypha
- Ballroom
- Gamers
- Hajimete no Gal
- Kakegurui
- Koi to Uso
- Tsurezure Children
- Youkoso Jitsuryoku

Of course as always, things will be removed or added once more info, trailers, impressions and whatnot are out.

Not an Eccentric Family fan? Too bad.

I am most excited for The Reflection, due to Nagahama, Umakoshi, and Studio Pablo's involvement and the unique visual style Nagahama is going for. Secondarily I am excited for Welcome to the Ballroom, as it looks like a high quality adaptation of a respected manga about an interesting subject. Otherwise I am interested in Kakegurui because of director Yuichiro Hayashi, though I am worried that it won't have much production resources to work with; Made in Abyss because of the talented staff and attractive trailers, though I am worried about the manga's reputation; 18if because of Koji Morimoto's involvement, though I have no real idea how it'll turn out; Altair because of Furuhashi and the manga's reputation, though again concerned about MAPPA's resources; and Mahoujin Guru Guru because of the cute trailer, though I am concerned because its original director was fired.
To answer your first question, here's the thing, I never watched the first season. I'm actually jotting this series as something to binge from start to finish at this point, since season 2 is nearly done.

As for your second one seems like quite a few of the shows you mentioned are also things that stood out to me for one reason or another. Made in Abyss I will keep an eye on, seems like something that could be very special. The poster alone is fantastic. I'll wait on impressions for it.

New Game!! S2
Ougimonogatari S2
Teekyu S9000
Horse Girl Hentai
Not Free
Ballroom Blitz

That horse show scares me.

I agree. Most of my posting content this season has been about my backlog that I've been watching moreso than any currently airing season.

I'm actually on the verge of dropping quite a few of the shows I've been following. :p

I dropped Kado and Eromanga from the pile I picked up. In the end I'm left with only 4 shows this season, AoT, Saenai Heroine, Tsuki ga Kirei and Re:Creators. Saenai is actually in my opinion much improved over season 1, and is actually a pretty decent watch.

kewlmyc

What do you mean? They revealed what the two new movies are going to be about?

Qurupeke

The Eccentric Family S2 9

#TeamBenten

The short peek on the past of Nidaime and Benten was surely interesting. Their relationship is certainly the greatest aspect of this season and I'm certainly looking forward to the tanuki elections, they'll be fun.

- Netsuzou Trap [note: I am hoping this is another Scum's Wish, but I doubt it]
I'm keeping an eye on it for the yuri, but I highly doubt that.

In any case, next season doesn't look promising but I think I'll manage to find 4-5 shows to watch. Looking forward to Owarimonogatari S2.

BluWacky

I read AniChart for next season and my particular low bar for creative dumbness is the one about the guy who wishes that he can have his mobile phone with him in another world.

What use is that going to be unless they have phone towers? Mostly it seems to be about a fantasy busty harem so perhaps this is by the by, but it seems a very stupid thing to have as your one with for a fantasy universe.

Otherwise there are other things I might watch - you never know - but my main interest for the year is Children of the Waves in October.

I still need to watch the first season of New Game.

Outside of that, Kakegurui sounds pretty cool and I'll be following the new Fate series. Gamers maybe, but it's a light novel adaptation about a group of students forming a club and a comedy focused on "misunderstandings" so that already sends red flags. lol

Tuck

GranBlue
Rage of Bahamut
Grimgar

If you haven't watched Garo, watch Garo. If you have, bahumut season 1.

Season 2 is a bit dull

blurr

New Game S2 and Owarimonogatari S2 are what I'm looking forward to. Let's see how the new shows go.

I do need to watch Koyomimonogatari.

phaze

Eccentric Family S2 09
4a4z0uwp.gif

What was exactly the master plan here, Yasaburo ? lol Ritual Sudoku of you, your family, your brethren ?

Did S1 ever delve into what makes Benten tick and I just forgot it ? Cause I've no idea what's her deal most of the time, what's her underlying relationship with Akadeime who I'm pretty sure she kept blowing off in S1, this stuff about becoming Tengu or even her being kidnapped back in the day. They left some breadcrumbs but they never followed it up. This season brought her backstory with Nidaime which will be probably resolved at the end of day but outside of that and up till now, there's nothing to her beyond snide remarks and behavior.

----
Huh, summer too looks bit barren.

Will put my faith in Owarimonogatari (Ge) in particular and Tsurezure Children, Katsugeki Touken Ranbu (this is some action fantasy based on game right ?) beyond that. Nagahama's Marvel thing and Ballroom look promising from production standpoint but I've grave doubts whether they'll be something I can get into.

I'm kind of shocked how early I started to focus on the summer season. In comparison to Winter where I had four shows spread throughout the week I was invested in all season long (ACCA, Demi-chan, Maid Dragon & Youjo Senki), despite currently watching 3x that this season I'm finding I'm only really getting excited for AoT and MHA these days (I missed out on the KADO bandwagon during my previews and I haven't seen Eccentric Family's first season). That said, as blah as this spring season has been in comparison to the surprisingly strong winter, I think we're likely to have something more resembling the latter than the former in summer. There's a few big sequels and some major studio works, but it primarily feels like a season full of surprise hits and dark horse candidates from smaller studios, which is kind of exiting in its own way.

Tonton

Man Tsuki ga Kirei has some BAD CG crowds

The rest is good tho

Although I see what people mean with those post credits scenes
Specially the teacher ones...

Omg these two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom