• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Knights of Sidonia stop following the manga and had an anime original end?

Also, didn't the manga already end?

The anime's S2 ending still has some room to follow the events of the manga with some modifications. It's not like the Gauna ever stop coming. Who knows, they might even fix the manga's ending in some way.

The anime's S2 ending still has some room to follow the events of the manga with some modifications. It's not like the Gauna ever stop coming. Who knows, they might even fix the manga's ending in some way.

Yeah the manga still has another story arc they didn't adapt, although I hope they improve it significantly. It truly becomes a harem and any answers to the greater world building questions are shunted to the side in favor of that focus. I'm cautiously optimistic as the anime had been tightening up the manga's story quite a bit through both S1 and especially S2.

Ascheroth

Yeah the manga still has another story arc they didn't adapt, although I hope they improve it significantly. It truly becomes a harem and any answers to the greater world building questions are shunted to the side in favor of that focus. I'm cautiously optimistic as the anime had been tightening up the manga's story quite a bit through both S1 and especially S2.
Yeah Sidonias last chapters were really rushed. Like Nihei got tired and just wanted to get it over with.

Yeah Sidonias last chapters were really rushed. Like Nihei got tired and just wanted to get it over with.

I really got that sense too, yeah. Was terribly disappointed with where the manga ultimately ended. I've been dying for the anime to, hopefully, fix things and offer up a way better conclusion.

Outlaw Star - Completed: So watching this series has been a long time coming. I remember watching a few episodes of it when it originally broadcasted on Toonami. Of course, I was 11 at the time and at that point unless an anime had characters with superpowers, I had a really short attention span for it.

With that said, I don't think Outlaw Star has aged quite as well as the likes of Cowboy Bebop or Trigun, two series it tends to get compared to a lot because of it's aesthetic. I found majority of the cast to be pretty flat and the action sequences felt pretty limited.

I do think the second half of the series did improve on the first half. The better episodes of the series all came from this half IMHO (The Seven Emerge, Cats and Girls and Spaceships, and Gravity Jailbreak).

So it was pretty solid series, I just don't have the nostalgia for it to overlook it's shortcomings.

I would dispute the description of the automated in-betweens as "practically perfect".

Yeah it's certainly impressive that it could manage to animate so much on so little, but there's tons of flaws, much easier to see once you reach the colored portion of the video (which is already kinda shit quality). So I wondered if perhaps it would lessen the load for in-betweeners? The software could animate the easy stuff, and in-betweeners could fill in for the frames where the software just wasn't up to the task, perhaps lightening the load on schedules that are already buckling in the effort to try and meet deadlines?

I don't remember the last time a show looked as bad as the last 6 or 7 minutes of this week's Berserk episode. The words visual gibberish are too kind.

Also, this season has mostly, at least in terms of important story moments, been a one to one adaptation. For some reason, the latest episode changes that and just complete omits the Moonlight Child.

I don't remember the last time a show looked as bad as the last 6 or 7 minutes of this week's Berserk episode. The words visual gibberish are too kind.

Also, this season has mostly, at least in terms of important story moments, been a one to one adaptation. For some reason, the latest episode changes that and just complete omits the Moonlight Child.

What are you watching? Berserk doesn't have an anime that goes past the Golden Age Arc. I don't understand your posts at all.

I have trauma teams standing by for when you finish the season.

JulianImp

Slayers 3

Somehow I find the name Shabranigdo for the Dark Lore a bizarrely amusing one.

I remember really liking Slayers back when I was a kid, and honestly wouldn't want to rewatch it and end up disappointed compared to how I percieved it back then... Do you think it'd be a good idea?

I bet it'll take me a while to get used to the original voiceovers at the very least, since I still associate the characters with their dubbed latin voices in my mind.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kado is good again

znNSyE8.png

gi9zeHh.png

Vt55Uav.png

Yeah it's certainly impressive that it could manage to animate so much on so little, but there's tons of flaws, much easier to see once you reach the colored portion of the video (which is already kinda shit quality). So I wondered if perhaps it would lessen the load for in-betweeners? The software could animate the easy stuff, and in-betweeners could fill in for the frames where the software just wasn't up to the task, perhaps lightening the load on schedules that are already buckling in the effort to try and meet deadlines?

I think I'd rather have stills than the lifeless fluidity of the automated in-betweens seen there. At any rate, I don't think AI software is a good solution for the industry's woes at this point.

I remember really liking Slayers back when I was a kid, and honestly wouldn't want to rewatch it and end up disappointed compared to how I percieved it back then... Do you think it'd be a good idea?

I bet it'll take me a while to get used to the original voiceovers at the very least, since I still associate the characters with their dubbed latin voices in my mind.

Depends how much you value the show in your mind. It's not exceptional, but it's a fairly pleasant fantasy adventure which thankfully doesn't take itself too seriously.

Aki-at

Virgin Soul - 11

Series is definitely picking up, the infiltration and escape were both really well drawn but I sort of hated how the girls just have to do it all over again for the next part.

Not sure why Charice doesn't just threaten to kill Jeanne D'Arc if the angels attack, would definitely put off her son from participating in the war unless he has ulterior motive.

Little Witch Academia - 23

For how great the twist was and throwning the series on it's head, this episode breaks it by making the chief perpetrator completely innocent. A series that wants to have the cake and eat it, very disappointing.

Heysoos

Sword Oratoria 10

All this is doing is making me want Bell and his adventures back. I'm tired of this Lefiya side show, she's terrible. At least this episode had more Ais than Lefiya.

Stardust Crusaders 23

The pacing is a bit sluggish, especially belaboring the point with Sucy, but there was some slick storyboarding on display, especially when it came to transitions. My favorite moments were

a stream of water creating a split-screen division, and

the camera panning directly back from Sucy's penthouse window into the sea with the crashed submarine, cleverly bridging the physical gap that exists between New York and the Red Sea while at the same time emphasizing Sucy's powerlessness to do anything to help her husband and the others.

Narag

Tiger Mask W 27

Even the nurse is getting a character arc now. King Tiger fight was great and a good change of pace from the usual and it's really nice to see Naoto recognizing what he's doing is divergent from what he actually wanted to do and the lengths he'll now go to see things through after spending the middle third of the series growing soft.

As usual with this stuff, for relatively simple animations the cleanup and correcting of the generated in-betweens would probably take as much time as drawing them by hand anyways and for complex animations it's probably an utter mess to begin with.

Even with deep learning neural networks I question if we're getting programs good enough that can deliver anywhere near on par with good animators.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
As usual with this stuff, for relatively simple animations the cleanup and correcting of the generated in-betweens would probably take as much time as drawing them by hand anyways and for complex animations it's probably an utter mess to begin with.

Even with deep learning neural networks I question if we're getting programs good enough that can deliver anywhere near on par with good animators.
they really don't do anything beyond basic shape tweening, and even with "deep learning" it's not like the technique has really developed to any significant extent. nice to write an article on or try to get funding for i guess....but zero practical application for the long term foreseeable future.

blurr

My Hero Academia 25

Oh what a great episode, packs in a lot without feeling too little or too much.

I'm really liking how all these stories are going off, the drama simmered down a lot but individual stories are showing good development.

Jintor

mha25

the writing and overall direction is still good but as soon as the actual fighting was over the BG and animation dropped to s1-tier garbage again, it's particularly noticeable during todoroki's trip to the hospital, the backgrounds are awful looking and the bg character animation is dunce. whatever though gotta cut corners here to get that hype deku v todokori animation so i can deal with that

zulux21

I mean to be fair it's not like that looked any worse than early dragon ball super inbetween stuff as is :p

and with shows like berserk existing it's not like all japanese animation is done to a very high quality so even if it gets to the point where it regularly does "not a terrible job" that could easily be enough for some companies.

Line_HTX

アニメ「進撃の巨人」公式アカウント‏ @anime_shingeki 8m8 minutes ago

「TVアニメ『進撃の巨人』Season 3」2018年スタートが決定いたしました!!
引き続き、TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」の応援よろしくお願いします!!続報をお楽しみに!! #shingeki

DChsgtOVwAAXND5.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 12:

I am glad that Torodoki didn't magically get over all of his issues in one fight and actually needs to begin the healing process in order to reach his full potential. Though it does lead to the final fight being rather anemic and this is the great flaw in this arc, all of the really important fights came in at the beginning save the final here so we are left with quite the amount of white space.

Jarmel

Banned

DChsgtOVwAAXND5.jpg

Well damn.

Jarmel

Banned
I guess I have to eat crow on that. I have no clue what Wit's internal production scheduling is going to look like. One thing is for sure, the Magus team is almost completely separate from the Kabeneri/Shingeki team. The only thing I can think of is that they hope to knock out Kabaneri quick and move back to Shingeki for Fall. Since it looks like the upcoming season for Shingeki might be two cours, I can't imagine they can afford to spend a lot of time on Kabaneri.

phaze

DChsgtOVwAAXND5.jpg

Too bad it's only downhill from here.

Nozaki-kun 04-06
Their duel marriage was fated.

Seo and Wakamatsu is still certified gold buton the other hand, the editor parts were much more hit&miss and could drag on. Maybe cause I'm not very big on Nozaki himself and those parts require heavy lifting from him.

Well, time ago I said if they turned out quickly the third season of AoT it was ok to only do a 12 episode season, and here we are now.

Well done WIT.
Next season has less action, so I hope they won't be cheap and fill it with stills.

Tuck

DChsgtOVwAAXND5.jpg

Sweet!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Attack on Titan Season 2, Episode 12:

Not as strong an ending as season one but it served its purpose well enough as new hints are dropped while cards are still being held back. Also, I will grant them that they almost got me to care about Mikasa and Eren as a couple by having them have an actual touching moment filled with real emotions.

_Ryo_

DChsgtOVwAAXND5.jpg

Have yet to finish the first season. Is seasons 2 animation less of a slideshow fest than the firsts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom