• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

I think it was supposed to be ambiguous in Japanese it was obvious in english though. It's probably not a big from like the few episodes i watched and what i heard Probably wrong

I could see that. Dubs seem to lose the ambiguity of characters like that in dubs. P4 comes to mind.

bomblord1

Banned
Some Standouts to for me from the first 1-2 episodes

f8bac4fcf8949589f21e144770e32e3f1491269318_full.jpg

Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor

This so far is probably the most standout random title of the season. I can't really say what convinced me to check this out but so far it has been great. The teacher is absolutely hilarious and follows a recent trend of lazy/good for nothing protags (ex Kazuma from Konosuba). It's a comedy first and foremost so far but also manages to work in some great moments of the main character being an unconvential badass or an almighty janitor which is a trope I've recently fell in love with (Think Chivalry of a Failed Knight, or irregular at the magic high). I have high hopes for this one and my instincts are usually spot on.

155252b00f16e484cb2d6e4ea01812cd1491715540_full.jpg

Tsugomomo

This one seems to be firmly in the ecchi genre with some light Shonen battle elements. The first 2 episodes piqued my interest enough that I decided to go check out a bit of the manga to see where exactly it was going and so far it seems to be an incredibly faithful adaptation. The characters and story telling remind me a lot of Negima and the Shonen elements seem to ramp up as the story goes on. I'm really looking forward to see where this goes.

6fd1a6719108981ae2d04125f0768b3d1491614015_full.jpg

Eromanga Sensei

I read this was by the creators of Oreimo which honestly doesn't mean a lot to me since I never watched that but I believe that means they have a good track record? So far I'm mainly watching this to see where it's going. I can't say it's caught my attention as much as the others but it at least holds a bit of promise.

fe604ed8734e831ceeb0e827c45815971492038534_full.jpg

WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?

Apparently the light novel associated with this has been going to head to head with Re:Zero in Japan and let me just say I love Re:Zero. I've only seen the first episode so far and the setup seems a bit fast but I can't really complain about much so far. This is probably the most up in the air as I honestly don't know what to expect. Based on the first episode it seems to be a romance/possible harem style show with a focus on characters and action. There's a LOT of mystery right now as the show starts in media res no real setup we just start off in the middle of town and go through a long sequence where 2 characters walk together with music. There are hints the main character may a badass with a pacifist streak. Really excited to see where this goes.

BluWacky

Some first episodes...

SukaSuka 1

The Scarborough Fair montage sequence is by far the best thing about this episode, and actually feels like it came from something else entirely; otherwise this falls into what feels like fairly traditional light novel patterns; wondrous male protagonist surrounded by doting women, brightly coloured fantasy etc. etc., with little to visually or narratively recommend it. The montage isn't even that good, but with its jump cuts and visual humour (plus the very end dialogue sequence on top of the tower, which actually seemed far more interesting than anything else in the episode) it at least does something a bit different; it's also a lovely arrangement of the song.

While I understand why they shove the apocalyptic fight sequence into the beginning of the episode - because otherwise there's no action - it rather spoils what should be the "big moment", which is the ending reveal that the cute girls are living weapons. Instead, that's completely underplayed by the direction, animation and acting; surely that's what the stinger would be in print? Instead, we get that ridiculously over-exaggerated zoom in on Troll Girl's lips when she says "I won't eat you yet" in case the audience doesn't get it from the dialogue...

It's not bad, but I'm not sure what overall makes this particularly interesting to many people.

Tsuki ga Kirei 1

This show is kind of adorable, and that's about the best way I can think of to describe it. It's the kind of show that can only exist nowadays because even most Japanese people are watching anime streamed, I believe; it's just a very sweet little story about middle schoolers slowly falling in love, with honest-to-god vaguely real personalities (if slightly cloying).

I would definitely consider watching more of this.

Fukumenkei Noise 1

Shoujo romance love triangle stuff you and I have no doubt seen a million times before. This at least distinguishes itself by having a relatively exciting, well directed climax at a school music festival, but I'm not sure whether that really overrides the slightly clockwork feel of the rest of the story; I am probably just a bit over-cynical and jaded but the fact that both the pretty boys are long lost childhood friends, both have exciting links to music etc. just seems a bit too much like contrivance.

Kado 0

Can't remember if I posted about this; I haven't even watched any of the "proper" episodes of it yet and I'm slightly hooked. A whole episode of bureaucratic scientific admin was fine, but somehow the ending just completely grabbed me - even with the now traditionally slightly offputting CG. Must get around to watching more.

Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul - 1

THE ANIME SAVIOR OF 2014 IS NOW BACK TO SAVE SOME MORE ANIME IN 2017. AND BOY DID IT SAVE ANIME.

Serious: I actually think the plot is more interesting this time around. But I am not sure what they're gonna do for 24 episodes.

brawly

Hunter X Hunter | 50

This show has been awesome since the Phantom Troupe showed up. The animation in the fights is way above most other Shounen.

KraytarJ

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1
I guess I shouldn't be surprised but that was shaft af. A lot of similar cinematography, composition, and VAs to monogatari. Things started to get weird at the end there, and I've heard things aren't quite what they seem but it was an interesting start.

Qurupeke

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but that was shaft af. A lot of similar cinematography, composition, and VAs to monogatari. Things started to get weird at the end there, and I've heard things aren't quite what they seem but it was an interesting start.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Oooooooh! A first-time Madoka watcher!

Haven't had one of those in a while! :)

Build Fighters Episode 15
download.png

*Pre episode 15*

Man, Fellini is so lame.

*post 15*

Fellini is actually the coolest.

You have just witnessed the best mecha anime episode in the last four years.

There has not been a better fight in a mecha anime since Build Fighters episode 15. There just hasn't.

(Rest of Build Fighters S1 is still great af tho)

Cornbread78

Keep watching, hurry up, lol.

Oooooooh! A first-time Madoka watcher!

Haven't had one of those in a while! :)

You have just witnessed the best mecha anime episode in the last four years.

There has not been a better fight in a mecha anime since Build Fighters episode 15. There just hasn't.

(Rest of Build Fighters S1 is still great af tho)

The Bloodhounds episode with the GM Sniper K9 is pretty damn good, too. The type of action is very different than Fellini's, but they managed to make a jobber episode into one of the best of the season

Dude, you are burning through shows like I did a couple years ago, lol.

I've been trying to play catch up on a bunch of shows I missed out on lol. I always go through waves of stuff I want to watch. Like last fall I was in this big Gundam craze and before that it was binging all the Marvel shows on Netflix lol

Watch the first season, avoid the second like it's fucking Tuberculosis

That seems to be the reoccuring theme with RomCom anime; The first season is solid and the second is crap. lol

tumblr_n78kuqsnth1s5f9ado1_500.gif

Dude, you are burning through shows like I did a couple years ago, lol.

"A few years ago."

Dude, you still burn through things like there's no tomorrow.

Oh boy!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I will forever hate Future Diary for cutting short the ending making a gif I had prepared in advance that references said proper ending a complete waste.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Seven Mortal Sins Episode 1:

Okay, apparently somebody looked at Valkyrie Drive and decided what that series needed was a spoonful of misappropriated Christian mythos added to the mix.

KraytarJ

Madoka Magica 2
Mami seems cool, she's got that elegance factor along with the ability to seemingly summon guns from any article of clothing which is neat. Kyubey seems real sus tho.

Quasar

Seven Mortal Sins Episode 1:

Okay, apparently somebody looked at Valkyrie Drive and decided what that series needed was a spoonful of misappropriated Christian mythos added to the mix.

So its yuri then?

I kind of expected it to be more like Queens Blade.

Bahamut Virgin Soul - 02

I quite liked this episode. Lots of nice character animation! Now will that fall apart within the next 3 of 5 episodes?

Quasar

Saekano 2.02 - Interesting to see into the past of the Eriri and Utaha relationship. Yeah it's all jealousy, still interesting to see though.

Tsukigakirei 2 - Another nice episode. Really enjoying this. A big old sports carnival episode.

Grimoire of Zero 1 - I had put this off as I thought it was connected to Familiar if Zero, which I've at best seen 1-2 episodes long ago. Gave it a try because Jacob on the ANN podcast pimped it.

Liked it quite a bit. Like the main characters even after just one episode.

Have to say I have more shows I'm liking this season than I can manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom