• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Hopefully it has an eng dub.

hmmm I don't see any mention of if it has an english dub.

hopefully it gets one like gosick did or I will continue to have not seen it because I just won't care enough to watch it.

edit: posted

I wonder how come they are not releasing the whole thing at once.

ideally because they are dubbing it and want to make a bit more money off it releasing it in parts as well as have more time to finish the dub.

though to be fair selling the series in parts likely leads to better sales.
a lot more people will bite on a $40 first part and then eventually buy the second part to finish their series then a single $80 release. (not saying it will be $40 those are just example numbers)

hmmm I don't see any mention of if it has an english dub.

hopefully it gets one like gosick did or I will continue to have not seen it because I just won't care enough to watch it.

ideally because they are dubbing it and want to make a bit more money off it releasing it in parts as well as have more time to finish the dub.

though to be fair selling the series in parts likely leads to better sales.
a lot more people will bite on a $40 first part and then eventually buy the second part to finish their series then a single $80 release. (not saying it will be $40 those are just example numbers)

Oh awesome it is getting a dub

zulux21

is this what they call astroturfing

If you think I work for funimation... I guess?

mostly it was just me saying I will watch the dub on the site once it gets up there instead of preordering the disks.

I have no attachments to the series as of this time, just have heard good things about it and never got around to watch it.

my japanese series I am slowly working on from my backlog right now is the monogatari series. meanwhile I could always use more good dubbed shows as there aren't a ton that I haven't seen that don't have blocks from my wife.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I save money subbing to Funimation because otherwise I'd just buy the DVDs of One Piece, which at one point were coming out roughly monthly and I couldn't get them any cheaper than 15, usually 21+.

zulux21

Too bad its funimation.
would you have preferred sentai?
as those were about your only choices short of pied pipper making it their next project after they release skip beat.

I save money subbing to Funimation because otherwise I'd just buy the DVDs of One Piece, which at one point were coming out roughly monthly and I couldn't get them any cheaper than 15, usually 21+.

I still buy a lot of the series on funimation.com, but it allows me to wait until they go super cheap.

But Nichijou?

I think I'd be happier with a cheaper sub-only version with the entire series in one package, if the issue is the dub.

Let me rephrase then. Funimation usually releases TV anime initially in sets in one cour each. I suppose there are exceptions, but really, I'm not going to complain about having to buy two thin BD cases instead of one thicker case.

zulux21

But Nichijou?

I think I'd be happier with a cheaper sub-only version with the entire series in one package, if the issue is the dub.

you would be happier with a cheaper full series version but while they did that for nichijou in general they make more money by releasing parts.

funimation is known for dubbing stuff so stuff like nichijou is going to be vary rare and not the norm compared to them picking up stuff to dub.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess at least they aren't just shoving out in SD like Tamayura. Still pissed by that.
Of course, no one would pick up Tamayura since it's so niche that me and you and six other people in the world are interested in it... so I guess we should be happy it got licensed at all? lol

you would be happier with a cheaper full series version but while they did that for nichijou in general they make more money by releasing parts.

funimation is known for dubbing stuff so stuff like nichijou is going to be vary rare and not the norm compared to them picking up stuff to dub.
It makes sense and I don't begrudge them making as much money as they can off the series considering the niche appeal of it.

It makes sense and I don't begrudge them making as much money as they can off the series considering the niche appeal of it.

The reason they're dubbing it and releases it in two parts is presumably because Funimation doesn't consider Hyouka niche within the context of their market, unlike Nichijou.

Quasar

Of course, no one would pick up Tamayura since it's so niche that me and you and six other people in the world are interested in it... so I guess we should be happy it got licensed at all? lol

Still...I meant I refused to buy it. Same thing happened with Chihayafuru. Got released in SD and I said fuck off.

Beyond it being old (and most of the community who had any interest has already watched fansubs), I'm not sure there's anything that makes it more niche than any other KyoAni show.

zulux21

Still...I meant I refused to buy it. Same thing happened with Chihayafuru. Got released in SD and I said fuck off.

Beyond it being old (and most of the community who had any interest has already watched fansubs), I'm not sure there's anything that makes it more niche than any other KyoAni show.

Chihayafuru got a NA release?
I don't recall that o.o;

to be fair I ignore most NA releases that don't have dubs, but i still might have bought Chihayafuru.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I passed on them too. It's too bad because I'd really like to own Tamayura and One Off at some point.

The reason they're dubbing it and releases it in two parts is presumably because Funimation doesn't consider Hyouka niche within the context of their market, unlike Nichijou.
I feel like Hyouka must be more niche than Nichijou, even if both seem to get the same complaints (They're booooooooring). It's just Hyouka has more prestige.

Should I make a thread about funi getting the license for Hyouka? Do people like that show here?

I've always gotten the feeling it's kinda divisive.

zulux21

Yeah, I passed on them too. It's too bad because I'd really like to own Tamayura and One Off at some point.

I feel like Hyouka must be more niche than Nichijou, even if both seem to get the same complaints (They're booooooooring). It's just Hyouka has more prestige.

You are wrong.

yeah... I haven't seen either actually, but nichijou is their weird ass looking comedy thing with super japanese jokes while hyouka looks like a school setting drama with normal looking art. They are very different things just by looks and clips and nichijou looks way out there compared to the pretty normal looking hyouka.

It got a SD release here in Australia.

ah... was it by madmen or someone else? madmen is the only one I have imported from so far, but it was cheap, and easy, and pretty quick so the next decent sale they have I will likely pick up some more stuff.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 11 – The Pack, Part 1
C9ajyI8XsAQifVV.jpg:small

His name is Reginald? What. Shark is so much better.

Im glad theyre finally on a team together, looks like sharkbaitshipping, got its birth here. But anyway beyond that, Shark teaming up with Yuma and actually providing him tips and advice is nice. Shark is really great when hes not being all mean and bullying and such. Im glad Yuma is so dedicated to pursing friendship with him. Its one of my favorite themes, pursuing it even when people are so against it, since well, Shark (or the character) usually has had no friends before so is finding it hard to open up and let someone into their space. Hoping this leads to really big things down the line.Thus far its something the other YGO series have not had before.

Thoraxes

would you have preferred sentai?
as those were about your only choices short of pied pipper making it their next project after they release skip beat.

I would've rather paid AoA prices for a high-bitrate encode than something that won't fully deliver on the visual beauty of the series.

You're basically going to get close to streaming quality on disc, and you know it's going to show up for streaming now.

Quasar

ah... was it by madmen or someone else? madmen is the only one I have imported from so far, but it was cheap, and easy, and pretty quick so the next decent sale they have I will likely pick up some more stuff.

Not Madman. Siren. They do nichey-er releases. Like Monster.

lol I guess? I dunno, I don't follow any anime community outside of this one I suppose. I know Nichijou is probably an easier sell to a non-anime fan than Hyouka.

I'm sorry, but this is also wrong. Nichijou is eccentric experimental cartoon humor; it's only an easy sell to a non-anime fan if that person is a fan of classic Looney Tunes and similar cartoons. Hyouka is a real-world character drama with light mysteries; it's a kind of series that'll feel familiar to anyone who watches contemporary serious live-action TV.

I mean, how do you even explain the title to someone? Do you have to call the show
Icecream
?

You don't need to explain the title. It's a foreign word; you can leave it at that.

zulux21

lol I guess? I dunno, I don't follow any anime community outside of this one I suppose. I know Nichijou is probably an easier sell to a non-anime fan than Hyouka.

I mean, how do you even explain the title to someone? Do you have to call the show
Icecream
?

Right about not watching anime, because it's dead~

why would you be trying to sell either of them to a non anime fan?

Not Madman. Siren. They do nichey-er releases. Like Monster.

I will have to check out how their import practices are.
especially since I can't remember if monster ever got confirmed to an NA release.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sorry, but this is also wrong. Nichijou is eccentric experimental cartoon humor; it's only an easy sell to a non-anime fan if that person is a fan of classic Looney Tunes and similar cartoons. Hyouka is a real-world character drama with light mysteries; it's a kind of series that'll feel familiar to anyone who watches contemporary serious live-action TV.

You don't need to explain the title. It's a foreign word; you can leave it at that.
With Nichijou, you can just spam the deer suplex gif and someone either gets it or doesn't.

You're not going to sell the kids who watch CW shows Riverdale on Hyouka based on the fact that it's about kids in a high school.

But I feel like this is veering into wankery now, so yeah. lol

Articalys

I would've rather paid AoA prices for a high-bitrate encode than something that won't fully deliver on the visual beauty of the series.

You're basically going to get close to streaming quality on disc, and you know it's going to show up for streaming now.
Regrettably, seconding this opinion. Though I know the logistics of the licensing business meant this was the unavoidable outcome.

Quasar

Regrettably, seconding this opinion. Though I know the logistics of the licensing business meant this was the unavoidable outcome.

Yeah. I'd prefer a aniplex release too.

Though at least this means there is a legal stream coming. That's probably what matters most.

Shuddering at the thought of a american Chi-chan though.

Articalys

Honestly the part that annoys me the most is that we'll never know exactly what discussions went down between Funi and Kadokawa that eventually led to this, like if it was being offered standalone for years but got no takers until they finally added it to whatever big license bundle Funi clearly got recently or if the prices were too high or what.

Quasar

Honestly the part that annoys me the most is that we'll never know exactly what discussions went down between Funi and Kadokawa that eventually led to this, like if it was being offered standalone for years but got no takers until they finally added it to whatever big license bundle Funi clearly got recently or if the prices were too high or what.

I really would like to know how it fell through the cracks, unlike even the crappiest of other KyoAni shows.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 11 – The Pack, Part 1
C9ajyI8XsAQifVV.jpg:small

His name is Reginald? What. Shark is so much better.

Im glad theyre finally on a team together, looks like sharkbaitshipping, got its birth here. But anyway beyond that, Shark teaming up with Yuma and actually providing him tips and advice is nice. Shark is really great when hes not being all mean and bullying and such. Im glad Yuma is so dedicated to pursing friendship with him. Its one of my favorite themes, pursuing it even when people are so against it, since well, Shark (or the character) usually has had no friends before so is finding it hard to open up and let someone into their space. Hoping this leads to really big things down the line.Thus far its something the other YGO series have not had before.
Im sorry but there's a point to stop and these guys have clearly passed it. In no universe are either of those hair designs acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom