• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix asks fans for Nintendo DS project

Volt

Lost Weekend said:
Because only two of those are ports, and the argument that the other guy was making was that there are more ports on the GBA than new games, which is not true.

Two ? I could see the argument for one (Zero Mission), but what would be the second ?

And yes, I was just reacting against the statement that there are more ports than original games. Sure, Nintendo sticks to familiar franchises, we've been over that fact many many times already. But that's not what I was argueing against. :)

The Nintendo press kit also had a Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles DS game listed. So it looks like there will be significant amounts of Square support, even if not anywhere near the degree of support that PSP gets.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Volt said:
Two ? I could see the argument for one (Zero Mission), but what would be the second ?

I was thinking Shining Soul 2, but I could be wrong. I don't know my GBA as well as some others here.

Volt

Lost Weekend said:
I was thinking Shining Soul 2, but I could be wrong. I don't know my GBA as well as some others here.

Nah, the Shining Soul games are originals. Shining Force is a remake of a Genesis classic though (and an excellent one to boot !).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ugh, how hard must Nintendo try to get people to actually innovate a little?

Volt

Dice said:
Ugh, how hard must Nintendo try to get people to actually innovate a little?

Don't you agree we could say the same thing about Sony/PSP ? (based on what we've seen so far of course, and believe me I'm no Nintendo apolegist :))

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
PSP is made for classic game design, everything about Nintendo DS demands innovation. Overall I would want people to make new and innovative products on any platform, but rehashes on DS are just that much more ridiculous.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A Seiken Densetsu with wireless capabilities would be a great idea... unfortunately, Legend of Mana and Sword of Mana, were both pretty weak (although they both have some of the nicest graphics EVER).

But I'd love to see that FF3j remake they promised. It's a shame that Americans still haven't gotten a formal release of what I think is the 2nd best FF.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
No offence to jarrod but his lists include a lot of speculation. SquareEnix hasn't commited to making games for PSP.

madara

Hmm...hard question. As long as they plan keep them 2D, I guess any of them. But if going redo one and give them 64 graphics, ouch.

Zilch

Banned
Whatever they decide to port (CT, FFVI or SD3 would be my top 3), I hope they include wireless multiplay support in some form.

Mashing

In all honesty, SE is just waiting to see how the PSP sells in Japan. Shortly thereafter they will start development on titles (at first quick ports) and then some original properties.

ge-man

Mashing said:
In all honesty, SE is just waiting to see how the PSP sells in Japan. Shortly thereafter they will start development on titles (at first quick ports) and then some original properties.

That's what I expect.

Nintendo is the handheld leader right now, Square isn't going blindly follow Sony on a bet. I don't care how successful Sony is in consoles--Nintendo has owned this area of gaming for a good 15 years.

Razoric

Banned
Chrono Trigger with extended story, new characters and more endings... i would by 20 Nintendo DS if they did that.

jarrod

Banned
cybamerc said:
No offence to jarrod but his lists include a lot of speculation. SquareEnix hasn't commited to making games for PSP.
Well, there's conflicting reports concerning Square Enix on PSP. Square Enix officials say they're still unsure about game support while SCEI sticks their name on every developer list they can and insist at least one title is coming... I'm really not sure exactly what's going on. :/

As for the list of games themselves, what's with all the SNES stuff? Wouldn't PlayStation games be better suited to DS' capabilities? Unless they mean total remakes (something like Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu 2 perhaps), none of these games should be on DS, they should be on GBA.

Outside FF3 & Front Mission Square can go fuck themselves. I'd be much happier with Dragon Quest 4-6, Terranigma and Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre/OB64 on GBA or DS.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
jarrod said:
Well, there's conflicting reports concerning Square Enix on PSP. Square Enix officials say they're still unsure about game support while SCEI sticks their name on every developer list they can and insist at least one title is coming... I'm really not sure exactly what's going on. :/

As for the list of games themselves, what's with all the SNES stuff? Wouldn't PlayStation games be better suited to DS' capabilities? Unless they mean total remakes (something like Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu 2 perhaps), none of these games should be on DS, they should be on GBA.

Outside FF3 & Front Mission Square can go fuck themselves. I'd be much happier with Dragon Quest 4-6, Terranigma and Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre/OB64 on GBA or DS.

Star Ocean 1 on DS... fuck yeah. Such a fantastic game, no US release...

heidern

jarrod said:

Well, maybe some smart accountant up at Square Enix HQ realised that what with the DS media cards being cheaper than GBA carts they could see more profit on games released on the DS than on the GBA. Not only that, but Square games on GBA have done well, but not as good as they perhaps would have if they supported the system from the word go and built up a fanbase. Something that won't be repeated with the DS.

Interesting that it mentions basically SNES games. With the 3D capabilities of the DS and the much increased cart space, some of their PS1 games would probably work well (minus the FMV).

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I want this....

ff6401.jpg

ff6400.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
I haven't seen those shots in years. That would be the shizzy. Actually, now I cant wait to see Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the NDS.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
jarrod:

> while SCEI sticks their name on every developer list they can and insist at least one
> title is coming

Advent Children.

> As for the list of games themselves, what's with all the SNES stuff?

SquareEnix has a golden opportunity to influence the DS launch. Yes, GBA has marketshare. But DS has cheap media. For 3. parties DS is definitely more attractive. They're gonna port these things anyway so they might as well do some on NDS.

> Wouldn't PlayStation games be better suited to DS' capabilities?

Just because the system does 3d doesn't mean all games have to be in 3d. Nintendo has said the focus is on 2d. There's also the issue of storage capacity.

JJConrad said:
I want this....

ff6401.jpg

ff6400.jpg

even though those aren't really n64 shots, or have anything to do wtih Nintendo like so many believe, the really interesting thing about that demo (IIRC) was that in order to cast spells you would have to "draw" different shapes like stars and shit on the screen using a mouse. Wonder what system that lends itself well to...

cybamerc said:
Just because the system does 3d doesn't mean all games have to be in 3d. Nintendo has said the focus is on 2d. There's also the issue of storage capacity.
Well, not all PS1 games are heavily 3D. Heck, most of Square's 3D games only used 3D characters on 2D backgrounds. Storage capacity doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as with GBA or N64 in the past. Considering current DS carts are supposed to hold about 100 megabytes, and looking at the size of my PS1 Square games, I'm pretty confident Final Fantasy Tactics, Legend of Mana, and Vagrant Story at least would make the transition well.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Did Nintendo say the focus was on 2D? I don't recall that, though it could have slipped by without me noticing.

It would be a very strange comment though, what with all the 3D games Nintendo showed.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I wouldn't mind seeing FF3, 4, 5 and 6 as well as Chrono Trigger on DS - those titles would sell the DS by the truckload. I'm not too certain about the sound quality of the DS, but FF6 and CT both need a system that can pump out their tunes really fine, something the GBA cannot achieve.

As for Final Fantasy I - II Advance, I'm about 10 hrs into FF1 and 2 hrs into FF2 and can safely say that Square have done a decent job with it. Although I have played the Wonderswan Color versions of these, I was never stupid enough to buy the PS1 version.. so I can't really compare it to that.

Square not butchering the music on the GBA's low sound capability - +1

Square not taking short-cuts with the graphics - +1

GDGF

Soothsayer
Is Advent Children listed there? Because if it isn't, there is your title (movie). Just going by what Square/Enix themselves have recently said, which is they have no PSP plans beyond Advent Children at this time.

neptunes

Lost Weekend said:
Is Advent Children listed there? Because if it isn't, there is your title (movie). Just going by what Square/Enix themselves have recently said, which is they have no PSP plans beyond Advent Children at this time.

no, I'm sure they would have listed it otherwise.

and why is this so suprising, It's almost definate that Square-Enix will support both.

GDGF

Soothsayer
neptunes said:
no, I'm sure they would have listed it otherwise.

and why is this so suprising, It's almost definate that Square-Enix will support both.

Maybe, maybe not. As of right now it's a no for PSP, though. Not all things are a definite when it comes to Square. If they were, I would be playing FF 7 on my N64 right now.

Square tends to go for the sure thing, and in the handheld wars, the smart money is on Nintendo. Square has even stated themselves that they don't know what the heck Sony is doing with the PSP. They certainly don't consider it a sure thing.

Mareg

The one game I want from SquareEnix to be ported on the gba is Treasur of the Rudras.
This is the last RPG from square on the SNES and is one of their best work, period.

If you want a try, there is a translation somewere on the net.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mareg said:
The one game I want from SquareEnix to be ported on the gba is Treasur of the Rudras.
This is the last RPG from square on the SNES and is one of their best work, period.

If you want a try, there is a translation somewere on the net.

Was that the pre rendered looking one that allowed you to have a monkey in your party? If so, I remember that one. I always thought it looked cool.

Whatever they do for the DS, it will hopefully be a cheap port. I don't want them spending any actual effort on a portable system. Even if you can touch the screen. Now there's a gimmick that couldn't possibly get old.

Neutron Night said:
Whatever they do for the DS, it will hopefully be a cheap port. I don't want them spending any actual effort on a portable system. Even if you can touch the screen. Now there's a gimmick that couldn't possibly get old.

*chuckles*

Why do you feel that creating dedicated software is a problem? We're talking about Square here, witht he development costs of the PSP and DS they really don't have any problem at all with resources for consoles. Or is it you just want to see the handheld industry phase out? There goes Nintendo.

or how about they make totally new content?

or a sequel/prequel/sidestory...

anything but a port...

And you want this for the DS instead of the PS3/Revolution/Xbox2 because....

Oh yeah, the touch screen. The touch screen conquers all. Who needs anything else when you can TOUCH the damn SCREEN. You're moving your finger or stylus or whatever across the screen, instead of the stick or d-pad or whatever. First we landed on the moon, now THIS. Thank you Nintendo for saving us from this hell of overpowered systems with way too many buttons and an overabundance of production values. My head hurts.

Top Bottom