• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Division upcoming software lists...

jarrod

Banned
I'm a little iffy on some credits, let me know if anything's wrong or missing....

Division 1 (Yoshinori Kitase)
-Advent Children: Final Fantasy VII (DVD/UMD) ???
-Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII (mobile)
-Dirge of Cerebrus: Final Fantasy VII (PS2)
-Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
-Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA) Jupiter Corp

Division 2 (Akitoshi Kawazu)
-Final Fantasy III (NDS)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (NDS)
-Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (PS2)

Division 3 (Hiromichi Tanaka)
-tba

Division 4 (Yasumi Matsuno)
-Final Fantasy XII (PS2)

Division 5 (Yuusuke Hirata)
-Final Fantasy II (mobile)
-Musashi Samurai Legend (PS2)

Division 6 (Toshirou Tsuchida)
-Front Mission 5 (PS2)
-Front Mission Online (PC/PS2)

Division 7 (Takashi Tokita)
-Egg Monster Hero (NDS)
-Hanjuku Eiyuu 4: 7 Egg Monster Hero Person (PS2)

Division 8 (Kouichi Ishii)
-Seiken Densetsu new work (NDS)

Division 9 (Ari Miyake)
-Dragon Quest VIII: Sky, Sea, Earth & the Cursed Princess (PS2) Level 5
-Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special (PS2) Tam Soft?
-Dragon Quest Monsters new work (NDS) Tose Software?
-Dragon Quest Slime Morimori new work (NDS) Tose Software?

Division 10 (Yousuke Saitou)
-Ambrosia Odyssey (PS2) ???
-Cross Gate: Power Up Kit 3 (PC) Dwango
-Fantasy Earth: The Ring of Dominion (PC) ???
-Fullmetal Alchemist 2: The Evil of the Red Elixer (PS2) Racdym
-Radiata Stories (PS2) tri-Ace

WarPig

Tanaka's division you could credit with continuing maintenance and content updates for Final Fantasy XI, since that's kind of an ongoing project.

DFS.

jarrod

Banned
Releases by platform:

PlayStation 2: 12
Nintendo DS: 6
PC/Windows: 3
Mobile: 2
Game Boy Advance: 1
DVD Video: 1
UMD Movie: 1

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
At least Division 10 is doing some interesting/different suff (not that I'm not excited about some of the FF projects or anything but there certainly are a lot of them...too many of them).

Rahul

Excellent work.

You forgot Front Mission 5, and although Compilation of Final Fantasy VII isn't a game, perhaps it's relevant for the listing.

Vashu

Some games do have my interest though, Front Mission Online, Ambrosia Oddysey, Radiata Stories. The last two are new franchises would could give the PS2 a bigger push. At least, I hope. :p

FFXII got noticed too, but I'm a big Matsuno-fan, and am eager to play his take on the FF-series. After FFT and Vagrant Story, this one should give the man a lot more credit!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What makes you think Tose might be involved in the Dragon Quest NDS games?

jarrod

Banned
Rahul said:
Excellent work.

You forgot Front Mission 5, and although Compilation of Final Fantasy VII isn't a game, perhaps it's relevant for the listing.
Added FM5... what's Compilation of FF7?

Dan said:
What makes you think Tose might be involved in the Dragon Quest NDS games?
Just a hunch given they made DQM1-3 and Slime Morimori. Same reason I listed Tam Soft for Itadaki Street Special (they made ISt 2-3 irrc).

Dagon

Square Enix is also working on at least one PSP game (according to the list that was plastered on the PSP wall at TGS).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
jarrod said:
Just a hunch given they made DQM1-3 and Slime Morimori.
Ah, I actually did not know that. I don't know much about Tose beyond the Stafy titles and a couple other GBA games that have been released in the US.

explodet

Dear Matsuno,

Please finish Final Fantasy XII so you can get started on the next Ogre game.

Yours,
A Fan.

PS: Another Vagrant Story would be okay too

Rahul

jarrod said:
Added FM5... what's Compilation of FF7?
Compilation of FF7 is the collective name they're using for FF7:AC, BC:FF7 and DoC:FF7. Presumably all three will be released in a package together at some point, but considering that we don't know the release date for DoC it's hard to tell when that'll be and what kind of features the big package will entail. There was speculation of it including the original FF7 in some form as well, but that's definitely not confirmed.

jarrod

Banned
Dan said:
Ah, I actually did not know that. I don't know much about Tose beyond the Stafy titles and a couple other GBA games that have been released in the US.
They're actually a pretty substantial developer (with multiple teams in the USA, China and Japan). According to their website, they've made over 80 games actually with partners including Nintendo, Sega, Square Enix, Jaleco, Imagineer, TDK, NEC, Konami, Capcom, Bandai, Atlus, Marvelous, Ascii, Namco, DigiCube, Tomy... they also did the GBC remakes of DQ1-3 btw. Also Sega GT, Virtua Quest, Shrek: Hassle at the Castle and the new Nightmare Before Christmas games among others. Their stuff fluctuates pretty wildly in terms of quality, the DQ GB games and Starfi are really the only high great games of theirs I can think of.

WarPig

ferricide said:
kawazu is a plague, and tsuchida is underutilized. discuss.

Tsuchida seems to just sorta do what he likes to do. Which in his case is fucking titanic Front Mission games that nobody with any kind of job or real life can ever finish.

DFS.

B.K.

I wish they'd let Mitsuda's divison work on a new Ogre Battle or Vagrant Story game after Final Fantasy XII.

jarrod

Banned
B.K. said:
I wish they'd let Mitsuda's divison work on a new Ogre Battle or Vagrant Story game after Final Fantasy XII.
I expect a new Ogre is next in line actually... probably for DS.

Zilch

Banned
I'd think that if Matsuno can head an FF project, he can probably decide what he works on next.

Maybe he doesn't want to do another SRPG, but if he did I'd prefer he make a sequel to FFT.

Rahul

In a Matsuno/Sakaguchi interview earlier this year, Matsuno suggested that he might be interested in taking some of the more "interesting" main characters from FFXII into a spinoff title. Who knows.

jarrod

Banned
Rahul said:
In a Matsuno/Sakaguchi interview earlier this year, Matsuno suggested that he might be interested in taking some of the more "interesting" main characters from FFXII into a spinoff title. Who knows.
At E3 he hinted he was working on a DS title... hence by Ogre speculation (it'd be perfect!).

Zilch

Banned
Well, he did say that he thought Balthier was interesting enough to be a main character in a whole new game, but I think it's more wishful thinking on his part.

explodet

The Next Gen is NOW, with the DS and the PSP!!!!!oneeleven!

Seriously though, Final Fantasy 13 will probably be PS3, if they stick with the trend of 3 new Final Fantasy games a console (1-3 Famicom, 4-6 Super Famicom, 7-9 PS1, 10-12 PS2). So once FFXII is in the can, they can get started with preliminary PS3 work.

neptunes said:
I wonder which one of these divisions will be the first to go into some serious next gen development.

Which team was the FFX/X-2 team? Division 1? Looking at their lineup there does seem to be some slack where conceivably early work on a next-gen game could go. They developed FFX/X-2 concurrently with KH1 so there doesn't seem to be any reason to suspect that KH2 has taken most of the team. A mobile game and GBA game can't be eating too many resources and I don't think DoC, being an action game, would account for the rest. Also not sure how much you could consider SE's CG division as part of the main team.

Seriously though, Final Fantasy 13 will probably be PS3, if they stick with the 3 new Final Fantasy games a console (1-3 Famicom, 4-6 Super Famicom, 7-9 PS1, 10-12 PS2). So once FFXII is in the can, they can get started with prelimiary PS3 work.

FFXII is by a new team though. And Square often have separate teams working on consecutive FFs at the same time. IIRC of recent FFs VII, VIII and X were the same team (X-2 I think was a smaller team pooled from those who worked on X), IX was a different team and I think it's the Chrono Cross team behind XI. IX began development before VIII was finished and I think IX, X and XI were all in development concurrently at some point. Also I'm sure XII was begun before X was finished.

neptunes

Didn't FFX go into pre-production when vagrant story was in development?

All I remember is that FF9 and FF8 were developed at the same time, along with the spirts within.

I still remember teh FF movie buzz around '98/'99, too bad it didn't follow through.

new Ogre Battle (hopefully not Tactics Ogre....kinda burnt out on that style....) would make me very very happy. I would love for it to be a console debut, but if it ends up being on the DS thats fine too. The touch screen could make things interesting (on-the-fly waypoints, and uhhh....i am sure Matsuno can think of something).

explodet

Die Squirrel Die said:
FFXII is by a new team though. And Square often have separate teams working on consecutive FFs at the same time. IIRC of recent FFs VII, VIII and X were the same team (X-2 I think was a smaller team pooled from those who worked on X), IX was a different team and I think it's the Chrono Cross team behind XI. IX began development before VIII was finished and I think IX, X and XI were all in development concurrently at some point. Also I'm sure XII was begun before X was finished.
So it's likely that Squeenix is working on FFXIII right now? That's cool. But I still doubt you'll see it for the PS2.

Gruco

Banned
explodet said:
PS: Another Vagrant Story would be okay too

Dear Matsuno,

No it wouldn't, just make another Tactics Ogre.

Waitaminuute, izzat a new Tri-Ace game!!? Well, that's pretty cool.

Oh it won't be PS2, that's definite. I think there was a bunch of rumours regarding PS3 development posted recently that had FFXIII along with a bunch of other games series having PS3 versions worked on. I pointed out the whole FFIX, X and XI thing to illustrate that they've worked on FFs over two gens at the same time.

Wonder if it'll be the VII/VIII/X team again or if they'll go with someone new again. And I wonder if Matsuno will do FFXIV (or XV if maybe XIV is a sequel to FFXI).

explodet

They've done two Ogre Battle games (March of the Black Queen and Person of Lordly Calibur) and two Tactics Ogre games (Let Us Cling Together and Knight of Lodis) - gotta love those subtitles. And Knight of Lodis was the more recent game, so next in line is another Ogre Battle.

Make it so, Square Enix.
Die Squirrel Die said:
I pointed out the whole FFIX, X and XI thing to illustrate that they've worked on FFs over two gens at the same time.
Yeah, I dunno what I was thinking with that "FFXII in the can" remark.

neptunes

I remember reading that "FF Future" EGM article before the release of FF9

Square had a well crafted plan, with playonline having a important role.

Too bad the whole playonline plan (strategy guides, demos, tips etc...) didn't make it in time for ffX.

Syckx

I'm seeing a disgusting lack of Valkyrie Profile on that list. Wasn't Tri-Ace supposed to work on another VP, or was it just a rumor?

explodet said:
They've done two Ogre Battle games (March of the Black Queen and Person of Lordly Calibur) and two Tactics Ogre games (Let Us Cling Together and Knight of Lodis) - gotta love those subtitles. And Knight of Lodis was the more recent game, so next in line is another Ogre Battle.

actually.....they have done three Ogre Battles.

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (Episode V)
Ogre Battle: Prince of Zenobia (Gaiden)
Ogre Battle: Persons of Lordly Calibur (Episode VI)

In order of releases its gone OB, TO, OB, OB, TO. So there doesn't really seem to be a plan for which goes next, they havent even released the games in episode order (Episode V, then VII, then VI...ignoring the gaidens)....though I agree its time for a Battle game.

and yes...please a new Vagrant Story. Faster menus and/or quick equip buttons for a couple weapons would make the game so much better. Hell, if it was on the DS you could use the touch screen to equip stuff easily.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ferricide said:
kawazu is a plague, and tsuchida is underutilized. discuss.

I didn't know about Kawazu's links to all those games before, and actually those were some of my favorite games throughout the years. Kinda crazy, but it does make it all make a little more sense.

Top Bottom