• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SRS >>>>>>>>>NFS:U

gtmax

I was gonna return SRS the other day because of the horrid framerate. Since EB wouldn't take it back and since i wasn't about to sell it back to them for half of what i paid, i stuck with it. I figured i might as well play it and good thing i did.

First the worst thing about the game, the framerate sucks when there's more than a couple of cars onscreen. So long as you're leading the race things are okay though. Still, it doesn't render the game completely worthless.

If you ask me they've made a mistake by copying NFS:U with the wet night roads. That shit made for a shitty framerate. The game has a few cities, so far i've seen Miami, LA (where you start), and i forget the other place. You have the option of crusing the streets looking for challenges or you can access a menue and jump directly to the action.

The graphics are very good and when you're just crusing and there's not much traffic, the game looks beautiful. The car models are very competent and you can customize the cars. Engine sounds are great and the biggest thing of all, the physics, are very good.

Like Juiced it aims for more realistic handling and it does it very well. Unlike NFS:U, this game respects a gamer's sense of...common sense. YOu can't just plow into a corner full throttle or bounce off a wall. I'm just learning hwo to master drifting and i gotta get a tighter suspension to my RX-7 because it keeps going on two wheels and flipping sometimes.

There is also a nice Clutch feature that works very well and seems to improve your acceleration over standard, semi-auto trans. And speaking of which, when you get a car you have the option of auto, semi or fully manual.

I can't tell exactly how accurate or big the cities are but there's a lot to explore. In the game you race for cash and respect points. YOu also get to pick up ladies by doing various challenges. ONce you have them they ride along with you, and you get a little video of them bitches strutting their stuff. There's a great selection of chicks though. Kaila Yu, Francine Dee, and a lot of other chicks that are pretty cute. It's a nice addition to break up the game.

The cars could have used a bit more weight to them - particularly when coming down from a jump. The damage is done very nicely, much better than PGR2. Damage affects acceleration, not handling - at least as far as i can tell. There is obvious catch up in play but only when you fall back, not when the PC does. Most races are pretty tight though and it's easy to slamm into a wall and lose a race.

The game seems to have a LOT of gameplay value because everytime i beat a series there's another one opening. All in all i wished EA would've picked up this game so that it could have gotten a Burnout 3-like push. Having played NFS:U, i don't understand why this game didn't sell 3x as much copies.

Eutechnyx did a great job with this one. Had it had a consistent framerate the game would have been outstanding. It's a hard game to come across on ps2, and if the xbox version has a better framerate, pick that one up. Also the box doesn't say if it supports the logitech wheel.

If you like a racing game that has great physics and better customization than GT series, a nice hood view, visible damage and flippable cars...and chicks dancing bad to bad music, but they're cute, check this baby out!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Three words:

Sense of Speed

NFSU shits all over SRS in terms of sense of speed.

Top Bottom