• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

red731

Imagine level 10 characters with boost/speed boards!
0:13.19 :p

I better not imagine anything. I may even hide all my friends who are better than me to feel some sense of virtual accomplishment :D
People are crazy, the times on races, the scores at trick runs.
I am SSX newbie, but I want to get really better.

I think I will even register at Merqury City. Many things I posted here are from there and there and community seems great and welcoming.

soultron

Banned
I better not imagine anything. I may even hide all my friends who are better than me to feel some sense of virtual accomplishment :D
People are crazy, the times on races, the scores at trick runs.
I am SSX newbie, but I want to get really better.

I think I will even register at Merqury City. Many things I posted here are from there and there and community seems great and welcoming.

Do it! Very friendly and welcoming to people of all skill levels. There are some people on there who don't go for massive scores or zippity-fast race times. Some people just like to chill. :p

Amir0x

Banned
game is pretty fun, not at all a failure to the SSX name seems. I'm a pretty big fan of the series so I'm pleasantly surprised. That exploit is fairly disheartening though.

I'm pretty confident that they'll be able to fix the exploit either by launch or shortly after. In a game that is built around leader boards it is is really important that all the scores/times are valid. Does anybody know if these RiderNet scores will carry over to the final game?

Fixed1979

I'm really curious to see how and how quickly this gets handled. There were bound to be exploits found, it's all about how EA handles them. Sales depend on it...

AndyD

aka andydumi
I hope it gets fixed day one. I am not very good, mid pack type player in SSX, but with something like this and the emphasis on beating your friends to get credits it would be ruined instantly for me.
LLShC.gif

TimmiT

I really like the demo so far. While I wish the visuals were a bit less realistic, I really like the gameplay and it does do the SSX name justice. Pre-ordered it and can't wait until the game arrives next week.

Also, I added myself to the PSN list.

Tawpgun

New challenge.

Who can get the highest trick score on the Race It event and who can get the lowest time in the Trick It event.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've grinded on the race 20 times, and I've gotten my time to something like 2:10.

Was wondering how these Sub 1:50 times were happening...

I managed to get 3.7 million on the Trick It course. Just another 27 million to go, unless someone else has gone further than that 30 million run.

Tawpgun

I've grinded on the race 20 times, and I've gotten my time to something like 2:10.

Was wondering how these Sub 1:50 times were happening...

I managed to get 3.7 million on the Trick It course. Just another 27 million to go, unless someone else has gone further than that 30 million run.
Something around 40 mil+ is the current record. There's also an exploit with the rewind you can use to make it easier. The 40 mil run I saw didn't use it though. Just careful watching of your combo. Making sure you don't repeat tricks. Use the best tricks. Flip. Lots of tricks whenever possible.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Something around 40 mil+ is the current record. There's also an exploit with the rewind you can use to make it easier. The 40 mil run I saw didn't use it though. Just careful watching of your combo. Making sure you don't repeat tricks. Use the best tricks. Flip. Lots of tricks whenever possible.

Wow. Gonna have to try harder, as I was just constantly jumping and tricking relentlessly, and only got 3.7. Going to take awhile to get back into my SSX3 shape.

BTW: Anyone know if there'll be any Half Pipe sections in the full game? Love the ones in the older games.

Polyphony

Man, I really hope there are more well lit snowy mountains with blue skies. I checked the trailers and there seem to be a great variety of conditions (foggy, icy, dark caves, etc) which is great. Personally, I like to ski on the nice sunny days with plenty of powder, makes me happy :p.

Fixed1979

So has EA commented at all on the rewind bug yet? I know Batty was looking into the whole classic control+spin thing as well but I haven't heard anything since...

gate777

Just got around to playing the demo. Solid title; just like I remember ssx to be. I'll definitely be picking it up. Seems like EA is done with the SKATE series and revamping this. Good idea in my opinion.
I've only played with the tricks set to buttons, not the right stick. I assume the latter controls the same way as the skate series?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do we know exactly what "153 drop points" means yet? I''ve understood it like this:

• 153 drops-9 deadly descents (these are special cases) = 144 regular drop points
  • One "Race It" and one "Trick It" drop point on each regular track --> 144/2 drop points = 74 tracks
  • Total number of tracks: 74 regular ones + 9 deadly descents + whatever Mt. Fuji (X) has = 83 + X tracks

Correct?

Tawpgun

You think they'd be able to add completley new mountain ranges and areas as DLC?

Perhaps a DLC pack that features an SSX3/Tricky style actual courses in a huge SSX park.

Or just new mountains in general.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Do we know exactly what "153 drop points" means yet? I''ve understood it like this:

• 153 drops-9 deadly descents (these are special cases) = 144 regular drop points
  • One "Race It" and one "Trick It" drop point on each regular track --> 144/2 drop points = 74 tracks
  • Total number of tracks: 74 regular ones + 9 deadly descents + whatever Mt. Fuji (X) has = 83 + X tracks

Correct?

You can sort of see what they mean in the demo already. The mountains (9 of them) have 3-4 peaks each, and on each peak there are 3-5 runs it seems. So 9*4*4=144 total drop points approximately.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, for anyone in Ottawa, looks like The Source stores are stocking this early. I'm tempted, but I'm also afraid of my poor time management (and over 2000$ on physiotherapy).

Watch me cave and still buy this game. *sigh*

I know EA are generally idiots etc, but why send out a bunch of copies to people they know are huge fans of the game and then tell them they can't speak about it? How ****ing stupid is that? These are exactly the people you want talking up your game 4 days prior to release. EA, you so stoopid.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
When will reviews start coming out? Still embargo'd?

I mean I'm still getting the game and all I just like soaking up media while I'm waiting for Amazon to drop my copy at my door.

JaseMath

Anyone PS3 users using Classic using those trigger attachments for the DS? Wondering how they work with the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You can sort of see what they mean in the demo already. The mountains (9 of them) have 3-4 peaks each, and on each peak there are 3-5 runs it seems. So 9*4*4=144 total drop points approximately.

Yeah, but I'm trying to figure out the number of separate tracks, not drop points (a race and a trick event on the same track does not make that track two tracks).

Shiloa

Anyone else really disappointed by the feeling of the boarding? I feel no resistance, or connection to the snow. It's iceboarding rather than snowboarding.

Anyone PS3 users using Classic using those trigger attachments for the DS? Wondering how they work with the game.

Is there a game where those attachments aren't a good thing? I love mine but I've never played a game with them where I thought it would be better to remove them.

Anyone else really disappointed by the feeling of the boarding? I feel no resistance, or connection to the snow. It's iceboarding rather than snowboarding.

Yep, it's my biggest complaint. I'm snowboarding down a highway instead of down a mountain covered in snow.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
9.0 definitely.

I know basing a score on a demo is very foolish, but if I were to be foolish and score the demo I would give it a 9. I'm docking a point due to the different (more speedy) feel of the controls and the fact that there are a few frame stutters.

JaseMath

If the score were based solely on the demo, then I would give it somewhere in the low eights.

Is there a game where those attachments aren't a good thing? I love mine but I've never played a game with them where I thought it would be better to remove them.
I hate the way the triggers feel - always have - but I especially hate them in this game using classic. I'll pick up a pair.

If the score were based solely on the demo, then I would give it somewhere in the low eights.

I hate the way the triggers feel - always have - but I especially hate them in this game using classic. I'll pick up a pair.

You hate the triggers or the attachments that turn them into actual triggers? Personally I despise the dual shock, but they went and made it worse by making the triggers such that my fingers slip off easily. The trigger attachments were a god-send in that regard.

Mr. Hyde

I had no idea this was out so soon. I've been craving a fun trick racer for so long and this looks great. Downloading the demo and also noticed Toys R Us has this for pre-order at $44.99 and free shipping. I need to jump on that.

Top Bottom