• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

BPK

Four questions for all the SSX pros out there:

1. Is it just me or is the controller's rumble in this game incredibly weak? SSX3 had a great rumble, but when I lead a huge jump in this I barely feel a thing. What's going on?????

2. The game seems too easy. On the demo race track I smashed into that gate after one of the tunnels and, whereas in SSX3 I would have been knocked down and lost valuable time, here I barely lose a step. I also find that the game controls loosely with the result that if often feels like the hand of god puts you back on the right track without you doing anything to deserve it.

3. Auto-rails are terrible. Is there a fast way to get off them using classic controls?

4. Is there a difference between standard and classic controls? People on Merq City are suggesting that you can spin and flip faster using standard controls. That would be terrible if true.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Are people seriously defending the lack of real head to head multiplayer? Not saying what they have isn't without merit, but would you like the next Gran Turismo or Forza to not allow people to be able to race head to head with opponents? Leaderboards are fun and all, but nothing can replace actual racing.

Fixed1979

Well you guys want to respawn instantly when you fall off the mountain so I thought less frustration and more fun factor would be a big thing for you all. I'm sure you'd want to wait until a race is over since you already fell down a hole or had to rewind in a big way and now have no chance of catching up for another 6 minutes. No need to be a dick about this stuff, man. I was sharing my opposing opinion. I thought we could have a decent discussion about it all and not end up arguing.

How do you think you know what other people will find less frustrating and more fun? People are saying what they would have more fun being able to do live head to head races and then you're jumping in here saying that "no you guys won't find that fun." Either way I'm done, honestly I couldn't give a shit about racing online, I just found it really surprising that people would argue against additional features that would make other people happy.

I don't think I would have ever gotten through the Darkness Decent if the L2 terrain grind wasn't an option. My whole goal with that track was to grind as much as possible. I basically held L2 the entire time to avoid falling off the side of those thin track segments. What a bitch of a track.

Also I have that "Plastic Smile" song stuck in my head, and I actually kinda like it... is something wrong with me?

And finally, where's the RiderNet iOS app at?

DeFrank

Enough, already. Who fuckin' cares.

Reviewing and judging this game on it's World Tour mode is the equivalent of reviewing an entire game on the merits of it's in-game tutorial.

EDIT: I am not as bitter as this makes me sound. :p

soultron

Banned
I don't think I would have ever gotten through the Darkness Decent if the L2 terrain grind wasn't an option. My whole goal with that track was to grind as much as possible. I basically held L2 the entire time to avoid falling off the side of those thin track segments. What a bitch of a track.

Also I have that "Plastic Smile" song stuck in my head, and I actually kinda like it... is something wrong with me?

If you go slowly on some of the Deadly Descents it really helps. :p

We'll know when it's coming when they announce it, basically.

Solo Act

Are people seriously defending the lack of real head to head multiplayer? Not saying what they have isn't without merit, but would you like the next Gran Turismo or Forza to not allow people to be able to race head to head with opponents? Leaderboards are fun and all, but nothing can replace actual racing.

I agree with you. I fear it will either be paid DLC or they'll put it into the sequel as a major "new" feature. That's always been how EA rolls with their sports games - take out a feature that has been around for as long as anyone can remember, reintorduce it 3 years later as a brand new feature. Remember when Madden introduced television style presentation 4 years ago?

JambiBum

That's a pretty weak way to emulate racing though, I mean its a nice option but its not exactly accurate. It reminds of the days of playground races where the person doing the countdown would run on 3 giving himself a tiny headstart lol!

Ultimately im not sure I can understand a lot of the justification going on in this thread. Sure Ridernet is cool, but are you really saying that you dont care about a mode that usually comes as standard? Why dont you care if you could have had both? It boggles the mind. Its not like its an either/or scenario. Ridernet and live racing could co-exist. So im not sure how the implementation of ridernet somehow negates the need for live multiplayer.

I don't care because RiderNet works pretty damn great as far as the multiplayer side of things goes. Knowing that I am doing better than thousands of other people is more satisfying to me than beating what would probably be at the most 15 other people in a head-to-head race.

I never said that I don't want the h2h aspect. RiderNet just works well enough for me that I'm not missing the lack of h2h. I would love if they could add in a h2h mode, but that would need a completely different system than what we have now. You would need lobbies, and probably matchmaking, for that to work and not just feel like a mode that is tacked on halfheartedly. If we eventually get both then that would be great. Having more options is always better. Right now I'm not missing it though.

Completely unrelated to any of this, but Mass Xtortion, you said that I always do runs on hard drops, wait until you see Invincible lol.

BPK

Hey Soultron, as someone who has clearly put more time in this game than most on here, would you mind addressing my four questions above? It would be much appreciated :)

casabolg

Banned
How do you think you know what other people will find less frustrating and more fun? People are saying what they would have more fun being able to do live head to head races and then you're jumping in here saying that "no you guys won't find that fun." Either way I'm done, honestly I couldn't give a shit about racing online, I just found it really surprising that people would argue against additional features that would make other people happy.

I said from the beginning that it is a nice feature but I don't feel it's needed because of the system that is up now. I don't want to have the devs focus on working online and dealing with lag/latency issues any more than they have to so they can get on with making things fun to put in the game.

I'm not saying "No, you wouldn't find that fun". I'm treating this the same way I treat people who want standard server list team deathmatch arena games in Dark Souls. It could happen but I don't feel it's needed as I feel it is a lot of work to not add anything new to the experience that is already provided. I would like splitscreen though for the sake of two-player couch play, though. I feel these global events dying out would still give longevity to the game seeing the scores stay for the whole event as compared to if there was 200 people online at any given time and it's hard to find a room.

Obviously, you disagree. I disagree with you and we shared points. I'm sorry that made you so mad.

Yeah I've been doing most of the deadly descents very slowly. They're way too difficult otherwise, which is kind of lame. I shouldn't have to baby-step my way through the whole thing. But I don't really care, I just won't play the ones I don't like. The good thing about this game is that there are so many tracks that even if you ignored ALL the ones you even only sorta disliked, there would still be tons of tracks to play.

Lots of people seem to have had a lot of trouble with the Ice descent but I think I got it on my first or second try... I really liked all of Siberia (still need to hit the remaining back country tracks).

Fixed1979

1. Is it just me or is the controller's rumble in this game incredibly weak? SSX3 had a great rumble, but when I lead a huge jump in this I barely feel a thing. What's going on?????

2. The game seems too easy. On the demo race track I smashed into that gate after one of the tunnels and, whereas in SSX3 I would have been knocked down and lost valuable time, here I barely lose a step. I also find that the game controls loosely with the result that if often feels like the hand of god puts you back on the right track without you doing anything to deserve it.

3. Auto-rails are terrible. Is there a fast way to get off them using classic controls?

4. Is there a difference between standard and classic controls? People on Merq City are suggesting that you can spin and flip faster using standard controls. That would be terrible if true.

1. Now that you mentioned it I haven't even noticed any rumble...
2. Agree, it seems to be much more forgiving. Lost of people have complained about that but honestly it doesn't bother me. It's never been that hard to land tricks, and has always been somewhat forgiving.
3. Agree and I don't think so.
4. It was that way in the demo but there were reports it was fixed for the actual game. I switched the the standard controls as I found the classic to not work well for me.

Obviously, you disagree. I disagree with you and we shared points. I'm sorry that made you so mad.

Apology accepted =)

Seriously though I wasn't mad, just surprised and confused, either way I think we can move on.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hmm.. game is stuck on "connecting to ridernet' and won't let me start anyone else. Ps3 btw

Edit: nvm reboot fixed it

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I tried that but then I just kept grinding my way into, you guessed it, a bottomless pit. I'll give it another shot in a couple days.

For getting of a rail quickly with classic controller, just press triangle/Y and left/right and you'll bail right of. I can see why people are complaining about the auto rail stuff, and sometimes it's been in the way for me as well. But it was present in SSX3 as well, so it's not like it's a new feature.

Fixed1979

Sorry what's this?

We can agree to disagree there too.
Ha!

soultron

Banned

The rumble feedback is a bit weak, you're right. Regular interactions contrast wildly with the bail rumble, which is much stronger, I feel.

The first demo track, JT2, is also one of the first runs in the game. It's very easy, you're right. :p

You'll be bailing a bunch later in the game, if you're anything like me. The developers have said, "it's challenging in different areas," and I think that's true. Some of the course designs (the back country runs that aren't in World Tour, for instance) are punishing if you're not completely focused and in the zone or if you're not properly geared for the run.

The game does have a slight avoidance assist when you let of the stick, if that's what you're mentioning. This means that if you're about to run into something, if you steer enough out of the way and let go of the stick, the game will give you a little bit of help if you didn't quite make it. You still need to do work in positioning yourself properly or the help won't be enough to guide you completely out of danger.

As far as the looseness in controls go, everyone reports that when they first start playing. As you spend more time with it, the game will control much more naturally.

You can press the grind button in combination with a direction on the left stick to get off of rails, yes. It'll become second nature to disengage from a rail if you get pulled on but don't actually want to be on it. IIRC, the Classic control grind button was triangle/Y, so try that! (It's unfortunate that the tool tips don't change to reflect using Classic controls.)

That was a bug in the demo that was already fixed in the final version of the code. The developers addressed the community directly in saying they had that problem, but they fixed it in final after they branched code to make the demo. So, basically, the demo didn't have the fix applied to it. It's fixed in the final game, so don't worry! :p

Hope this helps, BPK!

bradigor

1. Is a tad weaker for me, but not noticed really until you meantioned it.

2. On many of the runs there are lots of places that will ruin your run. It is rather challenging later on.

3. LT while riding them will let you get off them. (even the red rails)

4. I prefer the RS trick control, but the spins and the like seem the same across both.

Hung out with my brother earlier today and he has the PS3 version with Mt Fuji. It's clear why that's the DLC/extra content. Horrible. I like the Japanese architecture I guess, but the tracks themselves were more annoying than they were fun. Whoever on the SSX dev team that thought open chasms all throughout runs was a good idea needs a kick in the face. It's not fun. Huge cliffs on the borders of tracks to me is fun. Hidden gaps and holes in a track, not fun.

Fixed1979

Hung out with my brother earlier today and he has the PS3 version with Mt Fuji. It's clear why that's the DLC/extra content. Horrible. I like the Japanese architecture I guess, but the tracks themselves were more annoying than they were fun. Whoever on the SSX dev team that thought open chasms all throughout runs was a good idea needs a kick in the face. It's not fun. Huge cliffs on the borders of tracks to me is fun. Hidden gaps and holes in a track, not fun.

The level design and architecture really stands out compared to the rest of the mountains, but you're right. It's ruined by hidden/blind death pits.

soultron

Banned
Yeah I've been doing most of the deadly descents very slowly. They're way too difficult otherwise, which is kind of lame. I shouldn't have to baby-step my way through the whole thing. But I don't really care, I just won't play the ones I don't like. The good thing about this game is that there are so many tracks that even if you ignored ALL the ones you even only sorta disliked, there would still be tons of tracks to play.

Lots of people seem to have had a lot of trouble with the Ice descent but I think I got it on my first or second try... I really liked all of Siberia (still need to hit the remaining back country tracks).

I've noticed that the DDs are very polarizing, yeah. Several reviews have been mentioning them as their least favourite bits, whereas others really seem to be enjoying them.

I found them to be pretty easy, which is why I think I enjoyed them so much. They definitely do feel like boss battles, that's for sure.

The back country tracks are unreal. I can understand why the devs didn't put them into WT (mainly because you need to be high level for most of them) but I wish they were. I feel that people are going to sour themselves on the game if they limit themselves to WT and don't go where the best meat of the game is: Explore and Global Events.

soultron

Banned

Was your brother levelled well enough for them?

I feel that some people just won't enjoy some of the runs with pits in them, but I also feel that if you're geared properly (high enough gear level) for them -- so as not to be just barely missing pits -- then these kind of runs can be more fun than frustrating.

For me, the World Tour is just a way to introduce the game's various mechanics. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's also a good way to get all of your characters close to level 5. You still need to put in the work to get to the upper levels where you get two mod slots, two gear slots, and the suits with the perks (longer TRICKY, for example) attached to them.

Tokubetsu

I've noticed that the DDs are very polarizing, yeah. Several reviews have been mentioning them as their least favourite bits, whereas others really seem to be enjoying them.

I found them to be pretty easy, which is why I think I enjoyed them so much. They definitely do feel like boss battles, that's for sure.

The back country tracks are unreal. I can understand why the devs didn't put them into WT (mainly because you need to be high level for most of them) but I wish they were. I feel that people are going to sour themselves on the game if they limit themselves to WT and don't go where the best meat of the game is: Explore and Global Events.

I said it while everyone was asleep but pretty much all the DD's are totally manageable until you hit New Zealand where the difficulty spikes a bit. NZ and Death Zone are only rough because they throw all that shit at you at once and you basically have to be perfect to pull out wins. The other DDs though are totally easy/fine as long as you know what you're dealing with, which you do since they tell you/telegraph it.

Since I haven't gotten to any of the non-WT backcountry tracks, can you answer this for me: On all the WT Backcountry tracks you also have to 'survive' them with special gear. Is that the case for ALL of the backcountry tracks? I hope not, because if that's the case I basically won't be playing ANY of them in the Himalayas (HATED the O2 tank), or in Africa (unless I get a way better headlamp), probably New Zealand as well (haven't done them yet in WT so I'm not sure).

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Falling off the side of a mountain is a terrible terrible design decision. Its really ruining an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Hell, sometimes its not even off the side of the mountain but right in the fucking middle. Rewind is fine and all bit by the time I realize I fell I would end IP rewinding way to long so I just restart. Sooo frustrating

soultron

Banned
I said it while everyone was asleep but pretty much all the DD's are totally manageable until you hit New Zealand where the difficulty spikes a bit. NZ and Death Zone are only rough because they throw all that shit at you at once and you basically have to be perfect to pull out wins. The other DDs though are totally easy/fine as long as you know what you're dealing with, which you do since they tell you/telegraph it.

I agree. I definitely feel that some DDs are better executed than others, however. I think the spike in difficulty with New Zealand came from the fact that it's not really based on usage of the gear (pulse goggles, IIRC), rather, it's the track design that provides most of the challenge. And it's a legitimately tough track.

As for DZ, I fucking love DZ. It's the last challenge in World Tour (For those who don't know. DON'T WATCH VIDEO OF IT!) and although it took me maybe 15 tries to beat it properly in WT, I felt so badass when I finally got it. It's some of that old school challenge I feel is missing in games today. I felt when I messed up, it was my fault; the same logic applied when I beat it -- I had a perfect run. I feel like DZ is almost an epilogue of sorts...
the reward for sitting through the mock-credit sequence you're given.
When you think about it, if you find DZ (or any of the DDs) to be too challenging you can always back out of WT to level your characters in Explore or GE and then come back to them. You'd have access to higher level gear, which might make things easier. Maybe the developers should've pointed that out in the tool tips?

JaseMath

because the whole doing a backflip before deploying it is really throwing me off :<

could be I'm just getting used to it though.

I wasn't backflipping into everything - I just found it difficult to control properly. You get used to it, but it's never natural unless you just jump and deploy right into the wingsuit. Out of a trick it's a total bitch.

Kinda off topic but, how good was SSX On Tour? I'm very tempted to DL from PSN.
My favorite SSX; it's awesome. It's faster than 3 and I personally liked the Monster Trick additions. It's the perfect "bridge game" between 3 and the new one.

Curufinwe

I've only done the first two and I thought the tree one was pretty annoying, but the wingsuit one was awesome, even though it took me a long time pull off a no-rewind run that I was happy with.

soultron

Banned
Since I haven't gotten to any of the non-WT backcountry tracks, can you answer this for me: On all the WT Backcountry tracks you also have to 'survive' them with special gear. Is that the case for ALL of the backcountry tracks? I hope not, because if that's the case I basically won't be playing ANY of them in the Himalayas (HATED the O2 tank), or in Africa (unless I get a way better headlamp), probably New Zealand as well (haven't done them yet in WT so I'm not sure).

I wasn't a big fan of the O2 tank either, to be honest. It was one of my least favourite DDs. Want to know why? Because the gear button is right above the boost button. I felt that you're constantly hammering the boost button in that track and the gear button. It just felt awkward. Cool idea, but I think if the controls were laid out differently it would've been more enjoyable. Maybe it would feel better playing with Classic controls?

The backcountry tracks aren't all Survive It challenges, no. They're definitely some of the more challenging tracks in the game though. Remember the Giant Bomb QL where Connor did the gnarly ridge run? That was one of them.

because the whole doing a backflip before deploying it is really throwing me off :<

could be I'm just getting used to it though.

If you're doing pre-winding and deploying the wingsuit in the middle of a flip, it's going to be hard to control. Try to charge your jump at the very last second. Also, try to leave kickers at the highest point. If they're bowl shaped, for instance, ride up the left or right sides where it's higher and going to give you more air.

Also, remember that the controls are inverted. :p Up on the stick is actually going to dip you downwards!

sonicmj1

The thing with Moby's first Trick It in World Tour (it's been haunting me all day) is I've had a lot of trouble staying on a good line. I'll manage to get on that first rail on the right side and then not be able to capitalize on it and end up stumbling into that lower tunnel. Or I'll go down the middle and end up in a hole.

Any DETAILED tips specific to this character and race (or just general stuff about holding a LINE not just a combo) would be really appreciated.

Man, I thought I was just fucking that up last night because I'd been playing for three hours straight and had lost all coordination in my fingers. But I couldn't keep anything resembling a good line going down a lot of that course.

Tips would be great!

Kinda off topic but, how good was SSX On Tour? I'm very tempted to DL from PSN.

Don't. Ski is fun. That's all the game as.

Level design is flat. Tricky system is just... beyond absurd. It's idiotic, unrewarding, a total contradiction with everything SSX has done or promote as an over the top game. Frame rate is catastrophic, killing the smoothing pleasure of slopes.

Sure, there's a couple of nice descents (giant pine three races, all jump from rides to rides slopes...) and you can, ala SSX 3, do severals descents after the other all along the mountain as one mega ride of 20 minutes. But not more than a couple of crazy ass jumps, broken challenges (batshit insane ones that had never been playtested) and, most of all : no more crazy tricks.

soultron

Banned
I've only done the first two and I thought the tree one was pretty annoying, but the wingsuit one was awesome, even though it took me a long time pull off a no-rewind run that I was happy with.

I thought Trees was extremely easy, especially since it's the first one.

Gravity in Patagonia was definitely one of my favourites. I felt the snow that blows off the top of the kickers makes you jump blind, in a way that forces you to decide to deploy the wingsuit at the last second once the snow clears and you see where you're heading.

No rewind runs, eh? You do get bonuses for that at the end of runs, IIRC. :p

Shame. The reviews I read seemed to suggest it was just like SSX3.

It's not really as good as SSX3, in my opinion. One of the most charming thing about SSX3 for most of us, I'd say, is the open world (open mountain, sorry) concept and the feeling of the mountain being alive thanks to DJ Atomika's on-going radio commentary. On Tour didn't have either of those things.

It had a cool hand-drawn high school doodle art style though, which was neat.

Man, I thought I was just fucking that up last night because I'd been playing for three hours straight and had lost all coordination in my fingers. But I couldn't keep anything resembling a good line going down a lot of that course.

Tips would be great!

Somebody help us please!!!

1. I didn't recall much, if any rumble, come to think of it.

2. In particular I just don't like that fact that it's nearly impossible to bail, like at all.

3. Auto-rails are terrible, agreed.

4. I preferred the classic controls, just because I'm so used to spinning on the d-pad.

Top Bottom