• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Is it maybe that the Wall only reflects the last few hours of play? Like it wouldn't show your score on a weeklong GE if it's been too long since you put it up?

JambiBum

Got 51mil and platinum on the Serenity trick it global event. Think it'll hold up?

And Jambi, you play the hardest fucking drops lol.

I love the hard ones. I just go through and find random drops and do both events on them. You don't have to follow me around if you don't want to lol.

Fixed1979

Only got in a couple hours, but I gotta say Fuji is fucked. If you own an Xbox don't be upset that you didn't get this mountain. Nothing put holes randomly scattered around the course, fucking terrible.

The DD's aren't bothering me that much I think I'm either 3/9 or 4/9, they've been pretty simple so far. I am adding all the trick courses that don't have the stupid fucking random holes in them to my favorites list. Shit like Fuji I don't know if I have the patience for.

JambiBum

When you spend credits to enter an event, do you spend them every time you start or can you restart the event as often as you want?

Can you map Rewind to the Select button?

You spend them only when you first enter and if you decide to change equipment. Restarting an event doesn't charge you again.

ShapeGSX

Is there a "you competed in these events" list with bracket results for the online mode?

They pop up winnings, but it is easy to miss, especially if you aren't in the room when it pops up.

Loving the online mode though!

casabolg

Banned
Only got in a couple hours, but I gotta say Fuji is fucked. If you own an Xbox don't be upset that you didn't get this mountain. Nothing put holes randomly scattered around the course, fucking terrible.

How do you even get Fuji?
Heck, I used the online pass and eddie code at the store and when I got the disk in and it says I don't have the online pass.

Dyno

Game is good! Once again I was swayed by reviews from people who I suspected were competent in playing games. Fuck I take those noobs seriously when I should know better by now. The game has some hard bits. You can't just marathon it and move to your next game in a day or two. Lots to learn, lots of fun to be had. Challenge is good.

Some of the crew I was with last night were griping about the new gear but I see them as tools in a toolbox. You can use them or not most of the time. I don't mind learning how to use them in the single player. The runs themselves seem really good, very long, and quite varied.

Finally we got an SSX to play! SSX game nights with friends are the best!

I feel like Im already getting better and making strides in improving my trick game. Races, however, are a different beast entirely. Trying to use turbo wisely, trying not to spend too much time in the air, feel like I just destroyed the level, hit everything smoothly..... and find myself not even in the ballpark of others in my friends list! lol

JaseMath

I don't see it. Very strange.
I'll have to check again when I get home.

Check in the Global Events - it's not a Deadly Descent.

Called in late to work so I could get some SSX time in. Never done that before - the sign of a truly fun game. :D So far, my favorite run is the Himalayas. That first trick run against Griff was completely amazing.

JambiBum

For the people who want a "real" multiplayer, how would you do it? Because as it is now, I race against plenty of people in every event I enter. More than I would with the old multiplayer. Would you have lobbies and have to wait on people to be ready? Now you can jump in an event any time you are ready and race against hundreds, if not thousands, of people. You can see people flying all over the course next to you.

What makes the old way of doing multiplayer any more real than the way it's done now besides nostalgia?

I don't miss the visual style at all. The game is gorgeous, with some really dynamic and breathtaking visuals. And the track layouts? I'll take the snowboarding equivalent of that mountain/crumbling rock chase from Up over fireworks and candy canes any day of the week.

Also, I don't get how tricking off powerplants, cottage roofs, trains, powerlines, and the fuckin' Great Wall Of China isn't whimsical enough for SSX.

For the people who want a "real" multiplayer, how would you do it? Because as it is now, I race against plenty of people in every event I enter. More than I would with the old multiplayer. Would you have lobbies and have to wait on people to be ready? Now you can jump in an event any time you are ready and race against hundreds, if not thousands, of people. You can see people flying all over the course next to you.

What makes the old way of doing multiplayer any more real than the way it's done now besides nostalgia?

People like to shove each other, I guess.

But I agree with you 100%. I have plenty of gaming friends and it's already a huge hassle to get the time together to sit down and race together and, this is just personal experience, I usually devote those rare opportunities to something more mission or co-op based. I love that SSX lets me compete against them at my leisure.

I cracked. Bugger it, I know I'm going to get a lot out of it. One of those games like Wipeout HD were it gets bloody hard at times, but you know how you messed up and so you get that great feeling when you accomplish something!

I cracked. Bugger it, I know I'm going to get a lot out of it. One of those games like Wipeout HD were it gets bloody hard at times, but you know how you messed up and so you get that great feeling when you accomplish something!

World Tour is really frustratingly hard though. I'm at the Moby/Kaori/Tane(I think?) unlock point and I'm stuck at all three. I keep trying desperately to beat Moby's first Trick It and the closest I came is 3.2 mil.

For a 3.3 qualify.

:(

I've been taking him out in Explore Mode trying to level him up, see if maybe a new/better board will help.

:(

I don't see it. Very strange.
I'll have to check again when I get home.

With my copy of SSX I had to restart my game 2 or 3 times before everything showed up. The same thing happened with the Refer a Friend option in the demo. Must be something weird with their server, but if you restart your game then Fuji should show up.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK gonna wrap up world tour today. once my roommate gets back from work, we're gonna tackle some multiplayer and you guys are done for.

xbox 360, EST baby gamertag: jon bones

add me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yes, you're playing with a load of people in global events, but you're not racing them directly in a synced-up head-to-head fashion. You're just trying to beat people's already set times, while seeing other people trying to do the same. It's basically Trackmania. And while there's nothing wrong with that (it's a great addition to the series), people also want actual head-to-head races. Nobody is saying such a mode should replace the global events; they are quite different ways of doing multiplayer, and having both would have made the game's multiplayer offerings more complete.

Struct09

I truly appreciate the way multiplayer is integrated into this game as it fits the way I tend to play games. I can see why some would be upset that it's not really set up for simultaneous multiplayer, and hope that if they continue the series they find a way to fit both styles of multiplayer in.

So for them to add into the sequel:
-More Atomika
-Outfit customization (ala SSX3)

Anything else?

-Connected mountains or runs ala SSX3. What's the point of several drop per peak if you can't run them at once ?
- Ski (yes. I said it)
- HD mountain towns
- Revamped HUD
- Wider area to sloppes. This SSX always feels so fucking narrow and linear
- Neons, fireworks, and some tracks with some added value (I mean, with human intervention, not only frozen oil pipes, crahsed planes and power plants... Like actual bordercross high turns, mods, etc...)
-Fun runs, mega jump, ala SSX Tricky tutorial, or Big Air events ala SSX 3 or even other crazy thing (sky diving tutorial is fun, make more, like giant fan in Tokyo Megaplex for permanent levitation and trick learning or something.

Basically just look at SSX Tricky and 3 and go HD, with RiderNet, and perks. Why go away from perfection ?

I'm not saying replace the current system with real multiplayer. I'm saying add real multiplayer, because yes it is a shitload of fun to be running the same exact route as someone else and punching them in the face.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Since we are talking sequels already I think I only have 1 request.

"Create a course mode" that you are able to share online ala LBP. I think it would be incredibly awesome to have a tool box filled with various objects and a terrain editor. Imagine the possibilities.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
-Connected mountains or runs ala SSX3. What's the point of several drop per peak if you can't run them at once ?

- Ski (yes. I said it)

you make some great points but these two would be amazing. especially a skiing character DLC - i'd probably pay up to $10 for him/her.

i've snowboarded a few seasons but my first and true love is skiing. it would be mind blowing to finally have a cool skiing game.

Wanchan

What's the point to add people as friends if you can't even compete with them? Can you see their times etc... ? (i don't have the game yet so i'm asking).

you make some great points but these two would be amazing. especially a skiing character DLC - i'd probably pay up to $10 for him/her.

i've snowboarded a few seasons but my first and true love is skiing. it would be mind blowing to finally have a cool skiing game.

Try SSX On Tour. It's a very bad SSX games, but an amazing skiing game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What's the point to add people as friends if you can't even compete with them? Can you see their times etc... ? (i don't have the game yet so i'm asking).

You can see their ghosts, compete in challenges, and collect their Geotags. It's asynchronous (except in global events where you can see them in real time but you aren't competing in the traditional sense). As long as you know that going in its a lot of fun.

JambiBum

Yes, you're playing with a load of people in global events, but you're not racing them directly in a synced-up head-to-head fashion. You're just trying to beat people's already set times, while seeing other people trying to do the same. It's basically Trackmania. And while there's nothing wrong with that (it's a great addition to the series), people also want actual head-to-head races. Nobody is saying such a mode should replace the global events; they are quite different ways of doing multiplayer, and having both would have made the game's multiplayer offerings more complete.

But you are racing them head to head. A race is an event where the winner is whomever finishes the race first. Thus the fastest time wins. The only point that I can really see being made in favor of "real" multiplayer is what Baconsammy brought up. Being able to punch people in the face. Being able to punch people into the depths of the pits of doom would be awesome.

Fixed1979

Exactly this, compare times and scores. The game will give you updates based on what you're friends are doing and allow you to go right to that event to try to beat them.

But you are racing them head to head. A race is an event where the winner is whomever finishes the race first. Thus the fastest time wins. The only point that I can really see being made in favor of "real" multiplayer is what Baconsammy brought up. Being able to punch people in the face. Being able to punch people into the depths of the pits of doom would be awesome.

Perhaps we should take this idea up with F1, just send one car at a time out there set the fastest time and then hand out the world championship.

JaseMath

Since we're talking about sequels, my personal issues with the game...

- You don't feel like you're actually boarding. You just sort of easily slice through all terrains the same. It doesn't help that all characters feel exactly the same.
- The fact that you can "die" by falling into ravines or careening off the side of a mountain. This is such a stupid idea and so wrong for SSX.
- The wingsuit. Get rid of it. I'll even buy DLC to get rid of it.
- Outfits are essentially palette swaps. This isn't a huge deal, but I feel like this kid of robs the characters of their individuality.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't understand the arguments against real time, synchronized multiplayer. I like global events as much as anyone but I also like having options.

casabolg

Banned
So what's the big difference between just racing recorded best runs versus racing real players? Pushing, I suppose. That's all that comes to mind. This is a cheaper alternative that allows you to get the multiplayer out of the way and not have to focus on it.

Lot of mixed reception between who likes the gameplay direction in this game and who likes the gameplay direction of Tricky.

Honestly I'm very glad this game very challenging and tense at times. Some things are irritating but it makes you play very defensively and you become a better boarder for it.

I hope they keep the game the way it is and just add more missing elements from it. Not change the overall package.

Fixed1979

Since we're talking about sequels, my personal issues with the game...

- You don't feel like you're actually boarding. You just sort of easily slice through all terrains the same. It doesn't help that all characters feel exactly the same.
- The fact that you can "die" by falling into ravines or careening off the side of a mountain. This is such a stupid idea and so wrong for SSX.
- The wingsuit. Get rid of it. I'll even buy DLC to get rid of it.
- Outfits are essentially palette swaps. This isn't a huge deal, but I feel like this kid of robs the characters of their individuality.

The only thing on here that's really bothering me is the bolded. I knew it was going to be in the game, but it's so fucking stupid. Why would they think this was a could design idea. We kept being told that the game was designed by fans of SSX, I have a really hard time believing that actual fans of the series would think this was a good decision.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yes, the people on your friends list are who you compete against in Explore mode, and they (and their friends, and their friends, etc., if you so choose) are also the people who can join the global events you create (and you can join theirs).

I don't understand the arguments against real time, synchronized multiplayer. I like global events as much as anyone but I also like having options.

I'm not against it. I'm not arguing against it. I'm just explaining why I don't give a shit about it. Anyone is welcome to miss it and want it and need it.

Top Bottom