• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

If synchronized online multiplayer in a sequel means split screen, then I am all for it. That's what I'm really missing.

Gonna be sending out a few batches of friend requests to my fellow boarders on PS3 today and maybe into tomorrow. gaf ID = PSN ID; I'm on the list.

I look at Rider.net and I don't see anything wrong with it. Actually, this is probably the best idea for racing mp since online kicked in this industry.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But you are racing them head to head. A race is an event where the winner is whomever finishes the race first. Thus the fastest time wins. The only point that I can really see being made in favor of "real" multiplayer is what Baconsammy brought up. Being able to punch people in the face. Being able to punch people into the depths of the pits of doom would be awesome.

No, a head-to-head race is a race where all participants start at the same time, and the one who crosses the finish line first wins. That's not how it works in SSX. You're competing against other people's times, not directly against them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So what's the big difference between just racing recorded best runs versus racing real players? Pushing, I suppose. That's all that comes to mind. This is a cheaper alternative that allows you to get the multiplayer out of the way and not have to focus on it.

Well when I played split-screen SSX with my friends, sometimes I would win and sometimes they would win. Has nothing to with the pushing/shoving aspect.

casabolg

Banned
I don't understand the arguments against real time, synchronized multiplayer. I like global events as much as anyone but I also like having options.
I think it's nice but seeing the current set up it's not needed at all.
I think global events are good way to save time and money so you can concentrate on better elements and not have a Soul Caliber 4 moment where the game development was basically all focused on the multiplayer.

So what's the big difference between just racing recorded best runs versus racing real players? Pushing, I suppose. That's all that comes to mind. This is a cheaper alternative that allows you to get the multiplayer out of the way and not have to focus on it.

Lot of mixed reception between who likes the gameplay direction in this game and who likes the gameplay direction of Tricky.

Honestly I'm very glad this game very challenging and tense at times. Some things are irritating but it makes you play very defensively and you become a better boarder for it.

I hope they keep the game the way it is and just add more missing elements from it. Not change the overall package.

Are you serious?

You dont get the difference between live racing and racing against ghosts? Theres something very special about actually having a head to head race live on the spot. Going up against someones ghost run is nowhere near the same as overtaking them on the last turn in a live game.

I think theres space for both modes to exist co-operatively. Its fair to say that the current set up negates the matchmaking stuff that takes up time, but I think it was a cop out argument myself. Not that I disagree with it, just that its not a strong enough argument against having traditional multiplayer.

JaseMath

As far as I know the "feel" of each character has been the same throughout the whole series. Only their outfits/character/uber moves have differed.

How would you like it fixed?

Less characters with more focus on individual attributes. For example, Elise would be faster, but as she would use a longer board, would have a more narrow turing radius and wouldn't be as strong a freestyle choice. Whereas Mac would use a smaller board, which would be considerably slower, but he'd be very well suited for tricks. Also character size could play into their individual limitations concerning flipping, spinning and speed. Things like that. Not the palette swaps that are in place now.

casabolg

Banned
Are you serious?

You dont get the difference between live racing and racing against ghosts? Theres something very special about actually having a head to head race live on the spot. Going up against someones ghost run is nowhere near the same as overtaking them on the last turn in a live game.

I think theres space for both modes to exist co-operatively. Its fair to say that the current set up negates the matchmaking stuff that takes up time, but I think it was a cop out argument myself. Not that I disagree with it, just that its not a strong enough argument against having traditional multiplayer.
I disagree if the game is played online but oh well. Opinions.
Maybe some "grudge match" one on one online, global events, and offline splitscreen would be good?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Isn't that what's happening?

No, what's happening is that sometimes you beat their time, and sometimes they beat your time. As bobs99 says, racing live against someone brings a special tension and excitement to the race that you don't get from what is basically a glorified time trial contest.

(Again, I think Explore and Global Events are great modes, I just think there should also be traditional head-to-head races.)

casabolg

Banned
Less characters with more focus on individual attributes. For example, Elise would be faster, but as she would use a longer board, would have a more narrow turing radius and wouldn't be as strong a freestyle choice. Whereas Mac would use a smaller board, which would be considerably slower, but he'd be very well suited for tricks. Also character size could play into their individual limitations concerning flipping, spinning and speed. Things like that. Not the palette swaps that are in place now.

So basically, what they have now but more strategic and defined.

So basically, what they have now but more strategic and defined.

I dont really see how thats strategic at all. If anything it takes away from the in game strategy. Personally im quite glad the different characters dont have drastic gameplay differences. That would really make the global ranking stuff more a rock, papers, scissors game of choosing the right character rather than putting down on the track.

No, what's happening is that sometimes you beat their time, and sometimes they beat your time. As bobs99 says, racing live against someone brings a special tension and excitement to the race that you don't get from what is basically a glorified time trial contest.

(Again, I think Explore and Global Events are great modes, I just think there should also be traditional head-to-head races.)

In that there's no "Finish". Yeah, I hear you.

That sucks if you're into that, for sure.

casabolg

Banned
I dont really see how thats strategic at all. If anything it takes away from the in game strategy. Personally im quite glad the different characters dont have drastic gameplay differences. That would really make the global ranking stuff more a rock, papers, scissors game of choosing the right character rather than putting down on the track.

I agree. I'm just talking to the guy who wants that. I'm sure concerning the Deadly Descents you'd have some strategy in who you choose but nevertheless I agree with you here.

JaseMath

So...having to decide the best character to use on a particular run - the one that is going to net you the highest score - isn't strategy, but making them all equal is?

I'm not talking about gimping characters, but attribute differences that would make a big difference in given situations.

JambiBum

No, a head-to-head race is a race where all participants start at the same time, and the one who crosses the finish line first wins. That's not how it works in SSX. You're competing against other people's times, not directly against them.

Competing against other people's times is competing directly against them. Although we are really just talking about semantics now. If you want to start at the same time as your friends then you can pretty easily. Soultron and I did it launch night with a group of people.

Let me make myself a little more clear, I'm not arguing against live multiplayer. I would like to have the option just as much as anyone else. I just don't agree with the people saying that this isn't "real" multiplayer when it clearly is. What they did with RiderNet is great. Hopefully if we get another game they can incorporate head-to-head racing along with what we have now.

So having to decide the best character to use on a particular run - the one that is going to net you the highest score - isn't strategy, but making them all equal is?

I'm not talking about gimping characters, but attribute differences that would make a big difference in given situations.

Wait do they disappear as you level up? Right now, for example, that Russian gal is a great Racer (+15 speed), Eddie is a great "Trickster" (+15). Are these not significant differences? They felt different to play at least.

casabolg

Banned
But you're not actually competing directly against that person. You just happen to be trying to beat that person's best time. Can you really not see the difference?

When you race or do tricks, especially in large environments like this, you don't interact with one another so you wouldn't really have that "special" feeling unless, say, you do it splitscreen (something they really need to add). Otherwise it's exactly the same as racing a ghost in some global event except, since it's their best time, you get challenging competition and get to see a ghost who seems to know what they're doing. And all this on your own time and while still meeting random people online.

So...having to decide the best character to use on a particular run - the one that is going to net you the highest score - isn't strategy, but making them all equal is?

No that's not what I said.

Having them all equal is no more strategic than having them not be equal. It is less 'damaging' to the actual gameplay though. I mean ultimately it would turn into a contest of who could max stats before the race even began. Thats not fun.

Actually, yes.
It's either "circle goes in circle hole" shallow strategy or focusing on similar characters so the strategy comes from how you do on the slopes.

This. I would prefer the strategy to come from the gameplay itself. Not some menu meta game that involves knowing which character has better stats for different mountains. Thats the weakest kind of strategy if you ask me.

If you want to start at the same time as your friends then you can pretty easily. Soultron and I did it launch night with a group of people.
Do you mind explaining the best way to do this? I was looking through the options last night but couldn't find a good solution.

When you race or do tricks, especially in large environments like this, you don't interact with one another so you wouldn't really have that "special" feeling unless, say, you do it splitscreen (something they really need to add). Otherwise it's exactly the same as racing a ghost in some global event except, since it's their best time, you get challenging competition and get to see a ghost who seems to know what they're doing. And all this on your own time and while still meeting random people online.

No, unless a GE limited you to only one try, it's not the same.

I don't miss it, like I said, but he's 100% right.

casabolg

Banned

Actually, yes.
It's either "circle goes in circle hole" shallow strategy or focusing on similar characters so the strategy comes from how you do on the slopes and your characters are simply your avatars.

Fixed1979

Competing against other people's times is competing directly against them. Although we are really just talking about semantics now. If you want to start at the same time as your friends then you can pretty easily. Soultron and I did it launch night with a group of people.

Let me make myself a little more clear, I'm not arguing against live multiplayer. I would like to have the option just as much as anyone else. I just don't agree with the people saying that this isn't "real" multiplayer when it clearly is. What they did with RiderNet is great. Hopefully if we get another game they can incorporate head-to-head racing along with what we have now.

What they did with RiderNet is great. But if people really can't see the difference between trying to beat someones best time and having a head to head race where only that run counts and your actions can directly effect your opponent then...well I don't even know.

Wow you really are that dense!

JaseMath

No that's not what I said.

Having them all equal is no more strategic than having them not be equal. It is less 'damaging' to the actual gameplay though.

I don't think I understand you completely, but whatever, it's cool. I just feel like if SSX is going to take this whole Level Up, RPG-esque approach to character development in the future, it should be refined.

Maybe in the future, all characters could start out the same, but as you level up, you could choose which attributes your wanted to boost as you went along. That way you could tailor a rider to your particular riding style. But unlike SSX3, you'd only have a certain number of points to work with along the way, so you wouldn't break even with all the other riders in the end.

Exactly this, compare times and scores. The game will give you updates based on what you're friends are doing and allow you to go right to that event to try to beat them.

Perhaps we should take this idea up with F1, just send one car at a time out there set the fastest time and then hand out the world championship.

Isn't that kind of how Nascar decides pole position?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yeah. Again: I think what is there is great! None of those modes should be removed. But with live head-to-head races, it would have been an even better game. The same goes for split-screen multiplayer.

It's not a question of "why did they do it this way?", it's a question of "why didn't they also do it this way?". Trying to justify the lack of one online mode by pointing out the advantages of another doesn't really work for me. It's kind of like that hilarious damage control attempt where the Modnation Racers Vita guy tried (and failed) to explain away the lack of online multiplayer in that game (although that was much worse, of course).

Like I said, the main difference is pushing.
Otherwise you don't interact. It's just the feeling of it happening right there and now.

You're discounting the "One Chance" part, again. If you run the world record for a marathon, you don't retroactively win all the marathons ever.

It's different, it's its own kind of satisfaction, but it is not winning a race.

JambiBum

Do you mind explaining the best way to do this? I was looking through the options last night but couldn't find a good solution.

We had everyone in party chat so it made it easy, but all we did was have someone make a custom event and then have everyone load into it at the same time. That way you get everyone dropping out of the chopper at the same time so you can see everyone at once. We had 8 people going and it was pretty fun. Once you are a couple of runs into an event the timing won't be as close but you can definitely still see people throughout the course.

Is the Eddie DLC worth it?

I can buy it off someone for $4.

EA thought so little of Eddie that they ripped him out of the game and limited the number of people that have access to him.

About the real racing, I will say the nice thing about the current way is that you don't get that lag-induced stutter of other racers sort of jerking to-and-fro when the connection isnt that great. But from purely a psychological perspective, racing a ghost is nothing at all like knowing you're racing someone else at exactly the same time on the same exact track. There's more pressure when you know you can't simply hit restart and try again if you dont start the race perfectly.

Can you set an event that only allows a single run per player and where times are hidden until everyone is done? That's getting close to having head-to-head, though the lack of interaction still bums me out a little.

We had everyone in party chat so it made it easy, but all we did was have someone make a custom event and then have everyone load into it at the same time. That way you get everyone dropping out of the chopper at the same time so you can see everyone at once. We had 8 people going and it was pretty fun. Once you are a couple of runs into an event the timing won't be as close but you can definitely still see people throughout the course.
Cool. Thanks for the explanation. I'll give that a shot tonight.

Fixed1979

Isn't that kind of how Nascar decides pole position?

Yup, it's also how Izod determines pole position and I'm sure a bunch of other circuits. But that's what the system is now, do a bunch of laps and try to get the best time. People are asking for the race not the qualifying session.
I knew it was a bad analogy when I hit submit, I don't think I can save it

That's a pretty weak way to emulate racing though, I mean its a nice option but its not exactly accurate. It reminds of the days of playground races where the person doing the countdown would run on 3 giving himself a tiny headstart lol!

Ultimately im not sure I can understand a lot of the justification going on in this thread. Sure Ridernet is cool, but are you really saying that you dont care about a mode that usually comes as standard? Why dont you care if you could have had both? It boggles the mind. Its not like its an either/or scenario. Ridernet and live racing could co-exist. So im not sure how the implementation of ridernet somehow negates the need for live multiplayer.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Like I said, the main difference is pushing.
Otherwise you don't interact. It's just the feeling of it happening right there and now.

Yeah, and that feeling is a pretty big thing. Knowing that you're racing live against someone, that he will react in real-time to what you do and vice versa, and that you have to reach the finish line before him to win this one-time race (as opposed to it just being one of many attempts to beat his time, where you can keep improving and perfecting your run over and over) - it's just different.

Too bad there are exactly zero ways to voice chat in the PS3 version...

casabolg

Banned
Well, I mean. Semantically, factually, head-to-head racing means four people have one chance to make it to the end first.

That's not really an opinion.

If you failed, you failed. You can always redo a head to head splitscreen game. Otherwise this just saves the frustration. In global events there is usually a timer (Like the /v/ game that was running for just an hour last night) to give a feeling of immediacy as well.

The thrill of a race live is the chance that something could happen in the middle of it. Best time ghosts just make it a more skillful endeavor and relieve the frustration.

I think the devs would need all this to make everyone happy:
-Global Events
-1-on-1 friend matches
-Offline splitscreen

Fixed1979

If you failed, you failed. You can always redo a head to head splitscreen game. Otherwise this just saves the frustration. In global events there is usually a timer (Like the /v/ game that was running for just an hour last night) to give a feeling of immediacy as well.

The thrill of a race live is the chance that something could happen in the middle of it. Best time ghosts just make it a more skillful endeavor and relieve the frustration.

I think the devs would need all this to make everyone happy:
-Global Events
-1-on-1 friend matches
-Offline splitscreen

So we should be thanking the devs for making the game less frustrating? Thanks for pointing that out, I thought I wanted to race head to head but now I know better. I can only assume that you're trolling on purpose now.

iFootball

My PS3 copy is here !!!... it's going to be an awesome, long SSX night... looking forward to matching my PSN-GAF contacts best times!!

I'm on EST timezone, PSN: NullPointer

casabolg

Banned
So we should be thanking the devs for making the game less frustrating?
Well you guys want to respawn instantly when you fall off the mountain so I thought less frustration and more fun factor would be a big thing for you all. I'm sure you'd want to wait until a race is over since you already fell down a hole or had to rewind in a big way and now have no chance of catching up for another 6 minutes. No need to be a dick about this stuff, man. I was sharing my opposing opinion. I thought we could have a decent discussion about it all and not end up arguing.

The thing with Moby's first Trick It in World Tour (it's been haunting me all day) is I've had a lot of trouble staying on a good line. I'll manage to get on that first rail on the right side and then not be able to capitalize on it and end up stumbling into that lower tunnel. Or I'll go down the middle and end up in a hole.

Any DETAILED tips specific to this character and race (or just general stuff about holding a LINE not just a combo) would be really appreciated.

Top Bottom