• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stana Katic leaves Castle, won't return for Season 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the one hand, weird cause their relationship was central to the series and they were both the protagonists. Not so weird because apparently Fillion and Katic didn't like each other much

http://deadline.com/2016/04/castle-stana-katic-exit-season-9-tamala-jones-out-1201739022/

Caskett no more. I have learned that ABC is planning a ninth season of the venerable crime procedural without one of its two stars, female lead Stana Katic, who plays Detective Kate Beckett to Nathan Fillion’s writer-turned-PI Rick Castle. It is the main part of a major shakeup on the series, which also includes the departure of fellow original cast member Tamala Jones. Fillion has been in negotiations to return to Castle, which I hear is eyeing a shortened, likely 13-episode, ninth season, at a reduced license fee.

I hear the decision for Katic not to return was made by ABC and ABC Studios. Both Fillion and Katic last spring inked one-year contracts, which are up at the end of the current eighth season. While the studio started making overtures to Fillion for a new deal months ago and has been in on- and off- talks with him since the beginning of the year, I hear Katic was never approached to re-up her contract and was not offered an opportunity to continue on the show. Instead, I hear she, as well as Jones, were informed late last week that for budgetary reasons, they won’t be asked to come back for Season 9.

None of the other Castle cast members besides Fillion have been given an indication about their future on the show though sources indicate that Seamus Dever and Jon Huertas would likely return alongside Fillion who is said to be close with them while not getting along so well with Katic.

While the series is called Castle, Beckett’s character has been as prominent on the show, which evolved into a two-lead Moonlighting-style comedic drama. Castle creator Andrew Marlowe had always called the Castle/Beckett relationship central to the concept of the series.

The departure of Katic and Jones is expected to be used to attempt a creative reboot, which is difficult to accomplish so late in the life of a show. Long-running series like Castle are expensive, and with ratings inevitably slipping, implementing cost reductions is not uncommon though those rarely affect the stars of a show. While Castle‘s ratings are down vs. last season, the crime series has been a reliable performer, posting a 1.1 adults 18-49 Live+same rating for the last six airings and getting close to tying its season high of 1.2 last Monday with a 1.14 rating. The show’s DVR gains have been solid, with the April 4 episode growing 55% to a 1.7 L+3 demo rating.

Tamala Jones, who plays Lanie, also won't return.

Still. This is weird.

stana-katic-castle-season-8.jpg

Maddocks

Cross-posting from the Castle thread.

I was always a fighter on that they hate each other news. I was the one who was, has to be BS, their chemistry is way to strong to let me believe they hate each other. But this news just shows me that they are just great professionals that can put their differences aside for the job.

But damn, without Stana it is not going to be the same show and she is without a doubt my favorite part of the show, even though Nathan is charming as fuck and everyone that meets him I hear loves him, but he's my 2nd sometimes 3rd best thing that show does. I'm going to miss Stana and Tamala.

Miker

I keep on hearing about how Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic hate each other, but what's the original source/story behind that?

Walk away Nathan. Do something with your career, you've wasted so much of it on this lousy show.

He is smart to keep a good paying gig as long as it goes.
Fans cast him in everything but Hollywood certainly isn't.

I'd love to see him as an older Hal in the DCCU while Stewart is a really young GL rookie but an Iraq/Afghanistan vet.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how the show works without her, time to end it.

Krakn3Dfx

Maybe his entire family is murdered, he's pushed over the edge, and becomes a 1-man army, bent on destroying evil and corruption.

Because Castle.

Good luck Mal, regardless.

Raxus

This was a long time coming but man it must suck to lose one of the protagonists in a series. Sleepy Hollow had the same thing happen too and it will likely kill the show.

Castle was REALLY bending over backwards towards the end to make sure they weren't in the same room with each other. It was that bad.

kurahador

Oh my god just put this show out of its misery already. This behind the scenes scuffle to the point of affecting storyline in the current season is getting ridiculous.
The 2 main character barely interact or in the same frame together.

Season 7 ending finale was perfect, yet they keep fucking that chicken.

Joni

Continue the show with just Haley, Alexis and Castle, with appearances by mom. Molly and Toks have good chemistry, and they made for the best parts of the current season. The Beckett parts have been consistently terrible, while Lanie simply doesn't have a real role on the show.

How about he stops the procedural police bullshit and sits down to write a novel. A space western mystery drama. We see a transition to the novel's world brought to life with him as the captain of a spaceship named Serenity.

Wait how, those two are the show. The first half of the season after they got together is the absolute best in the series.

It was already weird with Kate being captain and before that castle exiled from the precinct, etc.

After all these years I can honestly say I'm gonna miss it.

EGM92

I've been watching the show from season 1 through to now season 8 over the last couple of weeks. I really enjoyed it up until sometime in season 6. Removing one of the main characters from the show is a really stupid idea it's exactly why I stopped watch the Vampire Diaries after Nina Dobrev left the show. This shit should just end.

And it has become the absolute worst after that. The show didn't survive bringing them together.

Yeah it went through some rough stages. I really enjoy Haley's addition to the team though and giving alexis some screen space outside of teenie drama. Could make for an interesting last season with just the PI business.

I'll still probably watch season 9 but this sounds stupid. Though to be honest, I don't even know why I still watch this show, it peaked way back in like seasons 2 or 3.

riotous

Banned
Is the show any good?

I've enjoyed procedural cop dramas before; Law and Order CI (the Goren and Eames episodes at least) being my favorite.

KissVibes

Banned
Walk away Nathan. Do something with your career, you've wasted so much of it on this lousy show.

Dude was fucking TV POISON. All his shit got canceled all the time. This show was his big break, and it probably has a ton to do with his chemistry with the other cast members. They've killed that now so I'm sure he's going to sink the show soon into the 9th season.

Effect

Really surprised to learn they didn't like each other. I assume that's a more recent thing or was that always the case?

I really like the show. Haven't seen the latest season yet though. Honestly though if they replace Katic with someone else it could still work. Castle's interaction with everyone on the show is what makes it work for me. Yes Beckett is a big part of it but she's not the core of it.

Really surprised to learn they didn't like each other. I assume that's a more recent thing or was that always the case?

I really like the show. Haven't seen the latest season yet though. Honestly though if they replace Katic with someone else it could still work. Castle's interaction with everyone on the show is what makes it work for me. Yes Beckett is a big part of it but she's not the core of it.

IIRC it's been an open secret for years.

riotous

Banned

Googling it returns nothing but a bunch of quotes that they have a great friendship.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...F-8#q=nathan fillion stana katic relationship

mreddie

For anyone that doesn't know the context to this image:
The two actresses in this show hated each other so much that frame shown here is actually a split screen here made of two takes that were filmed in different times

What show was this?

KonradLaw

For anyone that doesn't know the context to this image:
The two actresses in this show hated each other so much that frame shown here is actually a split screen here made of two takes that were filmed in different times

WTF? :D That's hilarious

Kin5290

Is the show any good?

I've enjoyed procedural cop dramas before; Law and Order CI (the Goren and Eames episodes at least) being my favorite.
The first couple of seasons are passably decent, but by season 4 it all goes to shit.

The seasons where Beckett dresses like a cop are the good ones.

xrnzaaas

It's sad to see what has happened to this show. ABC will do anything to keep it going since most of their brand new shows are failing in the ratings. I've been picking up and dropping Castle several times, but I haven't watched a single episode in two years and I'm good with that. No more ABC shows for me, never. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom