• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stana Katic leaves Castle, won't return for Season 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaNaranja

I remember I once had this internship and a fellow intern literally spent no less than 3 hours talking to me about this show despite the fact that I told her I had never seen it before. Fuck this show. I have never seen it but that memory haunts me to this day.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
There are ways around that.

640.jpg

Don't remind me.

I don't really know who is to blame, but the lack of professionalism in The Good Wife was staggering. For those less in the know, they nullified Kalinda's character (at the right) so she wouldn't endanger Alicia's (left) popularity and then they went as far as to never, ever star together in the same scene for dozens of episodes before sending Kalinda off with an awful CGI montage. Those two seemingly hated each other's guts.

gdt

Seems like it's just better to end it. This kind of late show stunt never works. It's like Scrubs S9 all over again.

Edit: on the other hand, I get wanting to keep the cast and crew employed for another year at least.

Roo

Don't remind me.

I don't really know who is to blame, but the lack of professionalism in The Good Wife was staggering. For those less in the know, they nullified Kalinda's character (at the right) so she wouldn't endanger Alicia's (left) popularity and then they went as far as to never, ever star together in the same scene for dozens of episodes before sending Kalinda off with an awful CGI montage. Those two seemingly hated each other guts.
I'm currently watching this show (mid season 4) in Netflix and haven't noticed anything in particular about this yet.

Will pay more attention from now on.
It sucks tho because I think Kalinda is one of the best characters in the series.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm currently watching this show (mid season 4) in Netflix and haven't noticed anything in particular about this yet.

It sucks tho because I think Kalinda is one of the best characters in the series.

They won't share a scene for the rest of the series. Just watch, it'll be all phone calls from some time in S4 to the end.

Corpekata

Banned

It's not an issue for a little bit after that. Well, her story in season 4 sucks ass and probably majorly contributed to the way they treated the character over the next few, but it doesn't become glaringly obvious for a little while.

tomtom94

Oh, and for what it's worth: first three seasons are great, season 4 and six are nearly as good, season 5 is a bit rubbish and I've not been that impressed with what I've seen of season 7.

Roo

They won't share a scene for the rest of the series. Just watch, it'll be all phone calls from some time in S4 to the end.

It's not an issue for a little bit after that. Well, her story in season 4 sucks ass and probably majorly contributed to the way they treated the character over the next few, but it doesn't become glaringly obvious for a little while.
Interesting, thanks guys.
I agree her story this season is kind of meh.
The whole husband/drugs side story feels too forced.
Like "in your face" kind of forced. I feel like they did this in a bad attempt to give the character some depth with no real gains to the main story.

Hope Jackie dies soon. Hate that lady lol

Good this might mean the end of the show then Nathan Fillion can workout a bit and get cast as older Nathan Drake in an Uncharted movie.

Gorramit Nathan Drake is literally the perfect role for him, but of course he's probably considered too old.

I always thought Castle would be the type of show where when it was on it's last legs, they'd give it one small final season similar to Fringe or 30 Rock where with the end in sight, they could finish off any loose ends and have a real ending. Suck that they didn't go in that direction, the show deserved better.

sparkzero

I read they shot different endings to season 8 for case the show is cancled. They should cancel the show and pick the happy ending scene.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Without going into spoiler territory, you'll notice that they start sharing less and less scenes until they finally stop being together. It's super jarring, and not just because Kalinda is an amazing character.

KonradLaw

That moment should have happened sooner. Shows like that need to reinvent itself more, not keeping repeating the same story.

We;re living in golden era of procedurals, where the genre is used to create some trylu compelling character drama, social commentary, surprisingly serialized and deep storylines or just play around with storytelling formula. In this reality Castle, which revolved solely around classic chemistry of two leads just can't compete.

jelly

Shame they haven't ended it. It's been poor in recent seasons but I just want to see it end with those characters concluded.

She would be good in other shows.

Patryn

Googling it returns nothing but a bunch of quotes that they have a great friendship.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...F-8#q=nathan fillion stana katic relationship

The actors are professional enough that they would never admit to anything publically, and it's in pretty much every show's best interests to portray the cast as great friends for PR pieces.

But there has been enough behind the scenes gossip, along with reading between the lines when seeing how the actors talk about the show and specifically who they interact with on social media and the like and who they don't, that it was fairly clear that there was some tension between the two.

If nothing else, I'm surprised fans didn't pick up that something was off this season given how the show has absolutely minimized the on-screen interactions between the two characters. I suspect that was a requirement for one or the other (or possibly both) to sign on for this season.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Please kill this show

this. Hell the whole arc since they finally got together was a huge clusterfuck. Why couldnt they just fucking be together? Nope gotta throw in some drma IMEDITLY

Prologue

Wouldn't it be better for Castle to leave too? You can not like your costar, but 9 seasons together? Have some respect. Can't always be about the money. Give the fans a good finale and walk away

Only watched Castle because of Fillion. Normally hate these kinds of shows for being creatively bankrupt but Castle was a lot of fun for a few seasons...

Until it wasnt

Shame that StanaFillion didnt get along... How do you not love Nathan lol

They should have killed it sooner

Shredderi

I used to love this series back in the day. The chemistry between the two characters has always been the main draw. They should just end it.

Corpekata

Banned
Stana Katic will be lucky to get a lead show on a network again, she ain't getting any DC movie roles. That's as delusional as the Nathan Drake fan casting for Fillion these days.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait the second most important character on the show wasn't asked back because of budget reasons? Does the show have a budget of five dollars?

Yes, exactly. But not because of budgets. It's because the two apparently can't stand each other and even if ABC threw money at them (very expensive) neither one wants to work together anymore.

Such a shame as the first three seasons I watched were campy-good.

Yes, exactly. But not because of budgets. It's because the two apparently can't stand each other and even if ABC threw money at them (very expensive) neither one wants to work together anymore.

Such a shame as the first three seasons I watched were campy-good.
Ah I see. Then again season 9 would probably mean their budget has long gone down since a show going that long seems mental. And if the actors had issues then lasting this long might have been a miracle. Hopefully the actress finds other work.

Slayven

lol

the show IS his career
Mean, but true
This was a long time coming but man it must suck to lose one of the protagonists in a series. Sleepy Hollow had the same thing happen too and it will likely kill the show.

Castle was REALLY bending over backwards towards the end to make sure they weren't in the same room with each other. It was that bad.

Whats happening in Sleepy Hollow? I fell off after the first season

Mean, but true

Whats happening in Sleepy Hollow? I fell off after the first season

Major Sleepy Hollow S3 final spoiler as well as S2 spoilers.
Abbie was killed off because the actress wanted out, Headless was supposedly not in S3, Henry, Katrina, the police captain and treasure hunter dude left the show last season

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Major Sleepy Hollow S3 final spoiler as well as S2 spoilers.
Abbie was killed off because the actress wanted out, Headless was supposedly not in S3, Henry, Katrina, the police captain and treasure hunter dude left the show last season

MAN.

I'm almost glad I dropped it after the borefest that became the first half of the second season. It sounds like they straight up gutted the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom