• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Looks like they are going to break $1,000,000 today.

Indeed, they broke $1 million today. Now it's at $1,021,419 with 11,364 contributors ($89.88 average).

EDIT: And only 200 spots are left at the first responder level on the RSI site.

EDIT 2: A little after the KS page went up... RSI site: $1,029,085; 11,480 contributors ($89.64 average)

EDIT 3: When the First Responder level sold out... RSI site: $1,060,009; 11,892c ($89.14 average)

Website is down for me again .I wanted to hare a link stating the $1 Mill news, but alas, the site is down again.

Sadmode.

THEY REALLY NEED TO FIX THIS AND USE KICKSTARTER OR SOMETHING

jett

D-Member
edit: LOLOLOL at getting on kickstarter now.

It seems like their plan was to go on their own so they don't have to pay the % fee for Kickstarter to host their fundraiser. But instead of investing on a solid platform designed to meet the requirements of such of a funding process, they used a free wordpress plugin instead, and probably have the site hosted on a cheap server.

This just goes to show that you usually get what you pay for. Kickstarter might take a cut, but you're also paying for stability, peace of mind, and much higher visibility among an audience who are actually interested in funding stuff.

Man it is only 5%. Some real cheapskates behind this project if that was the reason.

Munin

Now the backers will split themselves between the RSI site and the Kickstarter and neither will reach its goal. Great thinking there!

ghostmind

SMH... if they had just done a Kickstarter from the beginning we'd probably already be at the 2 mil goal.

They should just retool the site to be for Paypal doners (which many Kickstarters do anyway), call anyone who donated already a Paypal doner, and focus on the KIckstarter going forward.

ghostmind

Regardless of my thoughts on how badly they botched this, I will be participating through Kickstarter now that it is available.

Now the question, which level to go with? I am thinking the $125 tier so I can get a physical boxed version, but does it also include a digital version?

KKRT00

Oh I totally agree, the beginning just doesn't shine a very positive light on their management skills.

Because, they've used their own site, instead of Kickstarter? Give me a break.

Roberts said in the video that KS contributions will be tied to the RSI accounts, so it's not inconceivable that they could add the KS amount to the total on the RSI site.
I was sarcastic, why would investors care where they've reached the goal and where doesnt, they just need to see potential playerbase and Chris just want funding.

Hackbert

Seeing the layout of the page with the forum, features and the storypages, i think they wanted the whole community + crowdfunding mechanic on their page in their hands.

But yeah, they should have estimated the amount of traffic. weird

edit: LOLOLOL at getting on kickstarter now.

Man it is only 5%. Some real cheapskates behind this project if that was the reason.

Anecdotally the one thing I've heard is the tax you have to pay on Kickstarter donations is close to 50%. I wonder if by doing their own in house system they were hoping to avoid that big of a penalty.

KKRT00

Because their own site barely works and they still went to kickstarter in the end.

There were two backup sites after several hours and i was able to pay them and make an account just fine, so dont know what is the big deal. They've got overloaded and they've fixed it in less then 12h.
Their sites works just fine, the only reason they went to Kickstarter is because people wanted them to do that and were stubborn enough to not pledge on their site.

This is so messy and all over the place. I want it to live up to my imagination I really do =( Maybe it's best to just not think about it and be pleasantly surprised when it comes out.

KKRT00

This is so messy and all over the place.

Why? Because they are doing what people want?
I dont get You people, but its probably the same attitude like 'its not on Steam, i'm not buying it'. Just like people dont care about game, just a system they are delivered.

They've shown more and communicate more in this project than any other team from Kickstarter, but people have doubts, because they wanted to avoid Kickstarter site lol

ghostmind

I dont get You people, but its probably the same attitude like 'its not on Steam, i'm not buying it'. Just like people dont care about game, just a system they are delivered.

I'm not sure why you are being so defensive... do you have a personal stake in this game?

Interfectum

They've shown more and communicate more in this project than any other team from Kickstarter, but people have doubts, because they wanted to avoid Kickstarter site lol

IMO it's just sloppy and shows they lack some forward thinking. They should have seen this coming from a mile away.

KKRT00

I'm not sure why you are being so defensive... do you have a personal stake in this game?

Yes, my life depends on it...

I'm not defensive, i dont like stupidity i see sometimes on this board. People are willing to throw money just because there is famous name and Kickstarter in title even when there isnt single concept art shown, but have doubts when tech demo is shown, presentation on GDC and tons of media interview are made, just because its on other site.
Its mindblowing and sad.

IMO it's just sloppy and shows they lack some forward thinking. They should have seen this coming from a mile away.

No one could expected that they would going for a record with Space Sim game and its not like they havent repaired it fast.

_woLf

I can't fucking buy it from their own website using amazon. It keeps telling my access to my amazon payments account is disabled..? wat

Hackbert

Even though it's quite early, there's almost no buzz about them doing Kickstarter now.

i would almost bet after all, that kickstarter collects more money than the mainpage... if you read some of the comments, it seems like a bunch of "like to pledge" fans hehe

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I can't fucking buy it from their own website using amazon. It keeps telling my access to my amazon payments account is disabled..? wat

Problems like these are why they needed to go with Kickstarter. It has infrastructure that just works.

Mudkips

Banned
They should have:

1: Used Kickstarter to begin with
2: Stuck with their own shit and gotten a decent server
3: Asked Kickstarter to preseed their contribution numbers and moved entirely to Kickstarter (with the website remaining for Paypal or whatever people).

They went with option 17: Shit on Kickstarter for not allowing them to create a cohesive universe of blah blah, then start a Kickstarter anyway, while the original page is still up.

ghostmind

They should have:

3: Asked Kickstarter to preseed their contribution numbers and moved entirely to Kickstarter (with the website remaining for Paypal or whatever people).

They went with option 17: Shit on Kickstarter for not allowing them to create a cohesive universe of blah blah, then start a Kickstarter anyway, while the original page is still up.

Option 3 would have made the most sense, and garnered a lot of instant Kickstarter attention for having 1mil+ in backing. Not sure if Kickstarter allows for preseeds though.

Xane

Hm.. Kickstarter @ 28k as of right now. Growing fast.

They should have:

No, they should've went with Kickerstart AND their own site at the same time.
Us Europeans can't use Kickstarter.

gatti-man

This is so messy and all over the place. I want it to live up to my imagination I really do =( Maybe it's best to just not think about it and be pleasantly surprised when it comes out.

Man the hyperbole in this thread is getting ridiculous.

i would almost bet after all, that kickstarter collects more money than the mainpage... if you read some of the comments, it seems like a bunch of "like to pledge" fans hehe
The kick starter goal is 500k and they already have 1 mill+ on their home page so that isn't likely.

Grief.exe

Can you use Paypal in Kickstarter? Credit cards just aren't as common here.

Only if they offer that option separately, Kickstarter hasn't partnered with Paypal yet.

Wasteland II and Project Eternity offered the option but it wasn't through Kickstarter and they published those numbers separately.

Top Bottom