• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Fireye

Regardless of my thoughts on how badly they botched this, I will be participating through Kickstarter now that it is available.

Now the question, which level to go with? I am thinking the $125 tier so I can get a physical boxed version, but does it also include a digital version?

Where did they say they were adding a box? At this point, all I see is the USB stick w/ the game loaded on it. I sent Cloud Imperium a reminder via kickstarter, asking them about a boxed version. Waiting to hear back.

ghostmind

Where did they say they were adding a box? At this point, all I see is the USB stick w/ the game loaded on it. I sent Cloud Imperium a reminder via kickstarter, asking them about a boxed version. Waiting to hear back.

I'm assuming that a USB copy plus a hardcover book, cd, map, etc would come in a box. As with other things, this project is rather vague.

edit: LOLOLOL at getting on kickstarter now.

Man it is only 5%. Some real cheapskates behind this project if that was the reason.

I think it is closer to 10% because more than kickstarter gets royalties. Don't forget Amazon owns kickstarter so there's another hand in the pot

EDIT: I agree this has been botched though, and I wonder if they lost any momentum/pledges because of it?

Zaptruder

Banned
Anyone that's even remotely interested in the big budget space sim owes it to themselves to throw down for this kickstarter.

If this goes on to be made and to become successful, it'll serve as a turning point for a dormant genre.

If it dies at the crowd funding stage... industry execs will forever reference this as how dead and unbackable the genre is.

If you're holding back because of some website kerfuffles, in spite of the best crowd-funding pitch presentation bar none, then slap yourself in the face, look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself "Seriously?"

epmode

I think it is closer to 10% because more than kickstarter gets royalties. Don't forget Amazon owns kickstarter so there's another hand in the pot

EDIT: I agree this has been botched though, and I wonder if they lost any momentum/pledges because of it?

Amazon gets an additional 5% for a total of 10% in fees. I believe Paypal takes 5% so the main site is still only saving 5%.

gatti-man

Anyone that's even remotely interested in the big budget space sim owes it to themselves to throw down for this kickstarter.

If this goes on to be made and to become successful, it'll serve as a turning point for a dormant genre.

If it dies at the crowd funding stage... industry execs will forever reference this as how dead and unbackable the genre is.

If you're holding back because of some website kerfuffles, in spite of the best crowd-funding pitch presentation bar none, then slap yourself in the face, look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself "Seriously?"

Exactly.

I really dislike it when people seriously try to imply that pledging for this kickstarter or that is some kind of moral imperative for gamers to save or revive a genre. "You owe it to yourself to spend your money on this Kickstarter even if you are not satisfied with the way it is being handled because you must save gaming!"

Zaptruder

Banned
I really dislike it when people seriously try to imply that pledging for this kickstarter or that is some kind of moral imperative for gamers to save or revive a genre. "You owe it to yourself to spend your money on this Kickstarter even if you are not satisfied with the way it is being handled because you must save gaming!"

*shrug*

If this kind of comment can stop you from pledging... it's most probable that you simply didn't give a shit enough the genre or game in the first place.

For the rest, it's a reminder that - actually, this is the first time something like this has come around in a very long time. And that you shouldn't let niggling issues over how they organize funding dissuade you from doing something you would gladly have done otherwise.

epmode

this is the first time something like this has come around in a very long time. And that you shouldn't let niggling issues over how they organize funding dissuade you from doing something you would gladly have done otherwise.

Depending on who is supplying the additional funding, there is a very real danger of the project veering off into another direction based on outside influence. That's the whole point of crowd funding, right? The creators are not beholden to any one organization.

If this was entirely Chris Roberts' money, I'd be OK with it. But who knows, maybe a real publisher wants to get involved and they're hiding behind the crowd sourcing. After all, Obisidian was approached by at least one major publisher for Project Eternity.

I've already backed this project so this is mostly academic. But I'd be more likely to spend more if I knew more about the extra money.

Zaptruder

Banned
Depending on who is supplying the additional funding, there is a very real danger of the project veering off into another direction based on outside influence.

When you say 'very real', you really mean 'very plausible, but without proof whatsoever' don't you?

jett

D-Member
Anecdotally the one thing I've heard is the tax you have to pay on Kickstarter donations is close to 50%. I wonder if by doing their own in house system they were hoping to avoid that big of a penalty.

That's not true. Double Fine did a break down of the money they got from Kickstarter and there was no such overhead.

epmode

When you say 'very real', you really mean 'very plausible, but without proof whatsoever' don't you?

Of course. But these unspecified backers aren't just helping with a tiny bit of the goal. They're supplying the vast majority of the funding so their potential influence is significant. It would be nice to have more transparency.

Zaptruder

Banned
Of course. But these unspecified backers aren't just helping with a tiny bit of the goal. They're supplying the vast majority of the funding so their potential influence is significant. It would be nice to have more transparency.

Is there any reason to suspect that they would wildly change the course of the game from what we're been shown, or only a lingering paranoia that they could?

epmode

So I'm paranoid. Nice.

I think it's a reasonable concern for a game that is still a long way away, in spite of what has been shown. You obviously disagree.

*shrug*

If this kind of comment can stop you from pledging... it's most probable that you simply didn't give a shit enough the genre or game in the first place.

Nothing I can do to stop you from making wildly incorrect assumptions I guess.

Is there any reason to suspect that they would wildly change the course of the game from what we're been shown, or only a lingering paranoia that they could?

You mean common sense isn't enough to tell you that an external investor who might take 60-80% of the financial risk on the project would do so with a profit motive? And in the current environment of gaming, does it really need to be explained how that usually doesn't coincide with the gamers' best interests?

Grief.exe

I feel like he briefed the investors on how he wants the game to be done, likely he already has a signed contract hinging on the outcome of the crowd funding.

The fact is, they are already well aware of how he wants the game to turn out and his philosophies, they aren't going to spring in all of a sudden and ask changes after they have already invested capital.

Yup.

You know the reason the site went down?

Massive interest from gamers crashed the site.

Not because of giant egos or mismanagement or whatever you can think of.

People want to pledge on Kickstarter so they added it.

None of this is bad! None of it is some kind of prophecy that the game is doomed to fail. What it is, is a big signal that people want this game.

And if you want it too, get on board!

Pledged my $30.

Zaptruder

Banned
So I'm paranoid. Nice.

I think it's a reasonable concern for a game that is still a long way away, in spite of what has been shown. You obviously disagree.

It's natural to be a little paranoid. I'm simply asking for the justifications behind your feelings.

If it's simply doubt then it's doubt.

gatti-man

You mean common sense isn't enough to tell you that an external investor who might take 60-80% of the financial risk on the project would do so with a profit motive? And in the current environment of gaming, does it really need to be explained how that usually doesn't coincide with the gamers' best interests?

It's Chris Roberts. C-H-R-I-S R-O-B-E-R-T-S. This is like Guns and Roses of gaming getting back together and asking for crowd funding of their next album for me. Who cares if a pub gets involved, the game will still be a space shooter opera style.

If Chris thought it would be a disaster I doubt he would put millions of his own money behind it and he has made great worlds before.

Zaptruder

Banned

So basically any form of money that doesn't come directly from gamers is poisoned? Is that what you're insinuating here?

It doesn't seem to me that these backers are traditional game publishers (otherwise the development and funding would've gone a very different direction entirely) - the doubt although natural is simply unjustified. What else, other than the fact that we don't know who the backers are - do we have reason to suspect that the outcome of the game will vary immensely from Chris Robert's intentions?

Grief.exe

Yeah it's doing about 25k per day now. Though they should have waited till they met their goal to put up the Kickstarter later on.

Looks like they are going to combine the goals so it will be the same.

From the website:

Hi everyone!
Chris Roberts here. We have some pretty big news today.
First we hit $1M this morning! Congratulations and thanks to everyone for achieving this goal. Its amazing what we accomplished in just over seven days.
But that’s not all!
I am serious about listening to the opinion of this community, so when we asked whether you wanted a Kickstarter option on Facebook and had over 1000 affirmative responses we realized that we needed to provide that choice.
I’m a big fan of Kickstarter and have backed quite a few projects on it – including the Oculus Rift – and I think the core gaming community owes them a huge debt of gratitude for providing a mechanism to get games funded in genres that the modern day publishers aren’t interested in anymore.
Not using Kickstarter was never about saving 5%, as in the greater scheme that is a very reasonable fee for the service they provide. It was about making the experience frictionless for the existing 30,000 RSI members at the time of launch. I wanted a seamless experience in the fiction of the Star Citizen world where you could interact on the forums, check out development posts and back the project all from the same site and with the same login details.
But that’s only good if the RSI site can handle both the community features and the strain of thousands of people wanting to pledge. As you already know, we famously failed in that task upon launch. As of today we have got things mostly under control. We are working 24/7 in order to get all the intended functionality up, link back up orders to RSI memberships, provide an upgrade option, improve the community experience by moving to a more full featured forum system and speeding up the performance of the site. But doing all this always creates a risk that the site may go down briefly if one of our upgrades breaks the complicated beast that is a community site intertwined with a crowd funding platform.
The kind folks at Kickstarter have generously offered to help out. Not only are they happy for us to have a Star Citizen campaign but they are fine running in parallel with the crowd funding platform on this site. This is great news, as it allows us to provide all the Space Sim fans out there multiple options to back Star Citizen. Nervous about pledging in a custom solution on a site that has had some hick-ups? Use Kickstarter! If you can’t as you don’t have an Amazon account and don’t want to open one, use the RSI site, where we take Paypal and credit cards. It’s all about user choice and in this adding Kickstarter is a very good thing.
For fun, we’ve created a small Kickstarter pledge for existing backers. It’s called the “Kickstarter” and it’s an Electro Skin Hull Enhancement module. This is an upgrade package that players will be able to buy in game that allows ship owners to switch their hull appearance at a flick of a switch. The idea is that we will make skins available and allow players to make their own (within rules) once the game fully goes live. So for the $5 “Kickstarter” pledge we will add it to your current ship package, along with a custom skin that will tell the world that you backed twice! We added it to Kickstarter to allow fans to show their support in both places without breaking the bank.
Of course if you’ve already backed there is no obligation to do this. We are already eternally grateful to the existing backers for believing in the vision and helping us get half way to our goal after only 7 days!
The Kickstarter number will be combined with the RSI counter when we hit our minimum and stretch goals, so a pledge in either place counts towards our goal of reaching $2mill or more. We will link all Kickstarter pledges to their RSI account in the same way we intend to do with all the members that used the backed up site when our main one was down. We will have to get the data from Kickstarter so be patient as it won’t be instant, but we promise we will link everything up and nothing will get lost!
So if you’ve been holding back because you prefer Kickstarter or if you just want to show your support again please go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen
In addition to offering you more choices, we’re focused on getting back to the business of immersing you in this universe, so we’ve started a new section up called “Spectrum Dispatches” that will be in game fiction – news from what’s happening in the Star Citizen universe along with a couple of serialized story threads. We want to involve you in this universe from day one and not just wait until we release the multiplayer alpha!
Finally we have you heard you loud and clear about the ships. We will be releasing details on the various ships on over the coming days, and you should know that Conceptual Artist superstars Ryan Church and Jim Martin are hard at work visualizing them, which we will share when ready (this won’t be in the next few days though – it takes time to do things right!)
I hope you liked my mega update!
Let’s show the world that Space Sims are back!
Chris Roberts
Source: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/a-letter-from-chris-roberts/

The pitch video described my game of the forever/dream game since the 90s. They had my money instantly. But I'm sorry if I don't think this has been utterly smooth sailing. You overly defensive people need to chill and maybe consider they could have done things better from the get-go. We all want the same thing!

Zaptruder

Banned
On a deeper level, the funding method that they're using is fairly innovative and a GOOD thing for the industry (in that it provides another avenue for getting projects made that otherwise couldn't traditionally be made).

It's ludicrous to think that we should be naturally distrustful of investor + crowd funding... as if the only options for games to be made should be either publisher or crowd funded, with nothing in between.

Realistically, this project couldn't really have been done any other way (combo funding), given the scope is far beyond what is seen in stand alone crowd funding (looking at a AAA scope), but not justifiable to publishers with enough financial muscle to fund it (i.e. it's a niche/dead genre).

Anyway... all this discussion is really beside the original point that I was making...

Which is; if you're not donating *because* of the website uncertainties (that is, if they had launched on kickstarter like you think they should've, then you would have donated) - then set aside your fears, they are unjustified; because we reserve those fears for people that we can't trust will accomplish what they claim... and they're unjustified because you've been shown a pitch video that's more complete than anything else that has been shown on Kickstarter (or through any other crowd funded mechanism).

gatti-man

The pitch video described my game of the forever/dream game since the 90s. They had my money instantly. But I'm sorry if I don't think this has been utterly smooth sailing. You overly defensive people need to chill and maybe consider they could have done things better from the get-go. We all want the same thing!

Sure. It could have been smoother but saying its a disaster and all the other hyperbole is just irresponsible.

sp3000

People should remember that this is the most ambitious kickstarter project yet. They are not making a 2D game here like Obsidian. This is going to be a cutting edge Cryengine 3 game that is going to compete graphically with all the AAA games. That's why the amount is higher for this game than most others.

This is a first time we are seeing a Kickstarter project that is also a graphical heavy hitter. I think they should be commended for that instead of simply sticking with what is easy and making some UE3 garbage.

Grief.exe

Over 100,000 in just a few short hours on kick starter.

Amazing.

Wish they had just started there initially. Hind sight is 20/20 but they should have seen those server issues coming.

Twinduct

They finally have it on Kick starter. Should have launched with both options :/
But none the less, so glad it reached 1 Million!

Looks like they've sold out of the First Responder level at the RSI site, so if you want to get in at the $30 level, you'll need to go through Kickstarter (Scout if you want the Citizen's Card physical item, or Digital Scout if you don't want the physical item).

SparkTR

I'm glad to see things are getting straightened out, they had the most promising crowd-sourcing start yet (live presentation hosted by Gamespot, front page of Reddit etc) but damn they squandered all the press. I expect it to get around 2.5 million all up, but they could have easily beaten Project Eternity had they planned better.

Yeah it's doing about 25k per day now. Though they should have waited till they met their goal to put up the Kickstarter later on.

It's going up by way more than 25k each day. It's currently at 1,070,000 and it hasn't even been 24hrs since it hit 1,000,000. The day before it went up 80k.

I'm glad to see things are getting straightened out, they had the most promising crowd-sourcing start yet (live presentation hosted by Gamespot, front page of Reddit etc) but damn they squandered all the press. I expect it to get around 2.5 million all up, but they could have easily beaten Project Eternity had they planned better.

I find it funny that substantively the game deserves that money (imo), but does not achieve it due to issues of image and logistical crap. Just shows you how much success hinges on things which have nothing to do with content really.

Mother of god. I finally got around to watching the video. Couldn't click the backer button fast enough. I have dreamed of a space sim game like this as well. I really hope this game succeeds. Hype thrusters go.

Grief.exe

I find it funny that substantively the game deserves that money (imo), but does not achieve it due to issues of image and logistical crap. Just shows you how much success hinges on things which have nothing to do with content really.

True. Some of the complaints people are making are just not very rational.

I could accept some, like I don't believe in his investors, or his project is too ambitious, etc. We can argue about these, but they are justifiable.

Some people are not pledging because they don't like the color of the space ship, or they don't understand the difference between the $30-$40 tiers...

Fireye

I'm assuming that a USB copy plus a hardcover book, cd, map, etc would come in a box. As with other things, this project is rather vague.

Do not assume that. I received a response from them via kickstarter:
We're looking at boxes now. I am REALLY hoping they work out... a game this big NEEDS a box...

Boxes are still in the works, so I'm holding out for the mean time.

Fireye

Of course they are still in the works, game won't go gold for over two years...

There are plenty of games that have yet to ship, that list or have listed physical copies with boxes. I'm not saying "SHOW ME THE FINAL BOX DESIGN OR I WON'T PLEDGE!", I'm saying "I'd like a reward tier that offers a Physical Box. Please make it so!"

And they're receptive to that. So I'm holding out on giving Cloud Imperium money until I know what reward tiers will have a Physical Box, or if they aren't going to do a box.

Corto

I'm surprised and glad they went the kickstarter route in the end. Their reasons to not do so at the beginning were sound. They wanted all the monies raised to go to the game and not to a middle man company. Their infrastructure was not up to shape though, and so I'm glad they did that reevaluation and decided to make an additional KS campaign to alleviate their direct campaign a bit more. They were a bit naive though to think that they could handle this internally or it was just a case of trying to bite more than you can chew. I'm sure they will add any extra stretch goal rewards they put on Kickstarter to people that made the pledge through their site. That should be a given and hope they don't do anymore misteps from now on.

Grief.exe

There are plenty of games that have yet to ship, that list or have listed physical copies with boxes. I'm not saying "SHOW ME THE FINAL BOX DESIGN OR I WON'T PLEDGE!", I'm saying "I'd like a reward tier that offers a Physical Box. Please make it so!"

And they're receptive to that. So I'm holding out on giving Cloud Imperium money until I know what reward tiers will have a Physical Box, or if they aren't going to do a box.

I see what you are saying now.

They should recognize that some people do value this stuff. I didn't realize that they didn't have a physical box.

I'm surprised and glad they went the kickstarter route in the end. Their reasons to not do so at the beginning were sound. They wanted all the monies raised to go to the game and not to a middle man company. Their infrastructure was not up to shape though, and so I'm glad they did that reevaluation and decided to make an additional KS campaign to alleviate their direct campaign a bit more. They were a bit naive though to think that they could handle this internally or it was just a case of trying to bite more than you can chew. I'm sure they will add any extra stretch goal rewards they put on Kickstarter to people that made the pledge through their site. That should be a given and hope they don't do anymore misteps from now on.

I just wish they had gone with Kickstarter in the beginning. They lost a lot of day 1 crucial momentum when the site went down. They are at about 200,000 on Kickstarter already with just about 30 hours in.

Found an interesting post on the forums about the hud.

Hi all,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m the designer/coder for the Star Citizen HUD and additional 2D elements. While a good deal of my work wasn’t integrated in time for the live demo, that was largely because what we’ve been doing has pushed the limits of Scaleform and CryENGINE – and is radically different from the standard game HUD formula that’s prevailed for the last decade. Taking inspiration from previous Chris Roberts ship controls, nothing in our work is similar to the templates you’ve seen in more recent games; it’s been engineered from the ground up to deliver an unparalleled degree of control and detail to the pilot. Chris is an inspiring guy to work for, and I’m honored to have been picked for the job. We aren’t cutting any corners. All the elements of the HUD systems we’ve developed are based on procedural algorithms and can be customized to different ships and styles to a huge degree of depth and flexibility, keeping the scope of the universe in mind. My task is to pack as much useful information as possible into tight, clear displays, to give pilots those crucial visual cues that can mean the difference between life and death in a dogfight. The HUD will be your friend, and learning to read it reflexively will shave crucial milliseconds off your reaction time. Sometimes it feels more like I’m developing an avionics package for the military than for a game!
For my qualifications, I have 15 years in Flash/Flex development, including dozens of casual games and a custom gaming platform for a Bitcoin site I operate. I’m very much a DIY, self-employed developer, and this is my first team effort in over ten years. But this is a game I’m dying to play, and I couldn’t say no… I’ve been a fan of Chris’s work since I was a kid playing Wing Commander, and it’s a dream job for me to work with the team he’s assembled.
There are lots of reasons to pledge to this project, but one of the best (in my view) is that the authenticity of the flying/fighting experience is going to be unparalleled. I can confirm that all the pieces are in place to ensure that it will be – and as for the avionics, I think this HUD will be the gold standard in “AAA” games for the next decade or longer.
I hope to hear your feedback as we go along, and thank you all for showing your support and helping to building this awesome game!

It sounds like from what he is describing that the hud will be in those little drop down screens to the left and right side of the cockpit, but wasn't ready for the reveal. Skip forward to about 30 seconds in the youtube video.

I’m looking forward to showing off the design, and I’ll see if we can’t get a sneak peek in here pretty soon! You can catch a tiny bit of it in the “Immersion” video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVua4SsaGqU&feature=relmfu which shows some of the earliest integrations of marks, radar and ship displays when you climb into the cockpit. Although this is just the tip of the iceberg, you’ll notice the screen displays there look quite a bit different from anything in the other videos. What you’re seeing (for HUD-skeptics) are functional components with a lot of data layers and controls built in, but they aren’t engaged yet in that video.

Mea culpa, by the way. I was trying to do something that hadn’t been done before, which was part of the reason we missed our integration target, which is most of the reason why the targeting reticles and gun pips weren’t in for the live demo (which is why Chris missed the enemy ship — and why some people seem to doubt the HUD exists). But I promise the end result is well worth it; you’ve never seen this stuff in a HUD before, because we had to rewrite parts of the CryENGINE/Scaleform integration code and roll a whole bunch of new graphics methods just to make it work.

I’ll shut up now before I say too much, and leave it to Chris to make the big announcements

source: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forums/topic/hello-from-one-of-the-devs/
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVua4SsaGqU&feature=relmfu which

Top Bottom