• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

FACE

Banned
Had their website not crashed and burned on the first day they probably would've collection 1mil+ by now.

Twinduct

ooo I promised myself not to back stuff on kickstarter this month ...... but technically backing this is not kickstarting it .. I mean it's not even on kickstarter .... First responder :(

Grief.exe

ooo I promised myself not to back stuff on kickstarter this month ...... but technically backing this is not kickstarting it .. I mean it's not even on kickstarter .... First responder :(

Or you could just wait until November and contribute, that would satisfy your requirements as well.

epmode

Yeah, I'm a little torn over this one. I desperately want the game described in the pitch video but a few things are off:

My big concern is the source of the remaining funds. The earliest news was that Chris Roberts would be financing the game on his own with the crowd sourcing to back it up. Has that ever been accurate? I don't want to get involved if this is only to gague interest for a real publisher since they should be funding the entire game instead of leeching money from those willing to pay more than MSRP.

Did anyone really believe that this project would rake in $5M as the stretch goals imply? In 30 days? And the vague goal descriptions have me worried about what the game will be if only the bare minimum is reached.

And WTF @ no Kickstarter. This custom site is as stable as a house of cards. I'd bet anything that this project would have made more on Kickstarter even with that 5% cut. The other strange thing is how the custom site accepts Paypal which means that funds are being collected before the 30 days are even up.

Grief.exe

Yeah, I'm a little torn over this one. I desperately want the game described in the pitch video but a few things are off:

My big concern is the source of the remaining funds. The earliest news was that Chris Roberts would be financing the game on his own with the crowd sourcing to back it up. Has that ever been accurate? I don't want to get involved if this is only to gague interest for a real publisher since they should be funding the entire game instead of leeching money from those willing to pay more than MSRP.

I think he is financing the game on his own up to this point, with possibly some slight contribution from investors.

He said that the crowd funding was to prove to investors that the market was there, and they will kicking in significantly more money depending on how large the market is.

I think he describes most of this in the video on the front page of the site, its buried somewhere in there.

Did anyone really believe that this project would rake in $5M as the stretch goals imply? In 30 days? And the vague goal descriptions have me worried about what the game will be if only the bare minimum is reached.

This should answer this question, the stretch goals are more for showing what will be out on release. Should have clarified them more.

I actually found an unofficial FAQ on the Star Citizen forums where they assembled all of the forum posts and facebook comments of the Star Citizen team in one place.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.c...ation-of-answers-from-the-devs-on-the-forums/

I can't find the quote now and I don't have time to read through thoroughly.

One post detailed that everything they promised would be released with the game, but the time it gets released depends on how much they raise initially. So if they get 4 million dollars from crowd funding, they will have a full featured game at launch. If they are only able to raise 2 million, than some of the features will have to come out after the game is released.

And WTF @ no Kickstarter. This custom site is as stable as a house of cards. I'd bet anything that this project would have made more on Kickstarter even with that 5% cut. The other strange thing is how the custom site accepts Paypal which means that funds are being collected before the 30 days are even up.

Here are the general theories about kickstarter. You can request to have your money refunded in full if it fails to meet its goals.

Kick starter doesn't work if you are outside the us. His company might be based somewhere else.

You don't get 100% of the proceeds from kick starter, they take a cut.

His business model is kind of strange. He wants this money to show investors that there is demand. Then they pour in more money. Not sure how that works with kick starter, especially since they updated the TOS.

Could be other reasons as well.

Keasar

So yeah, with the recent release of Netflix in Sweden I just my first contact with Star Trek: First Contact (hurr!). Now I wanna get out into space too! Gonna have to reinstall Freespace 2 or Freelancer or anything where I fly stuff in space while waiting (for two years) for this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So yeah, with the recent release of Netflix in Sweden I just my first contact with Star Trek: First Contact (hurr!). Now I wanna get out into space too! Gonna have to reinstall Freespace 2 or Freelancer or anything where I fly stuff in space while waiting (for two years) for this.
If you're into Trek, you should find a copy of Bridge Commander instead. lol

(It's too bad all those Star Trek games are pretty much lost to time and will probably never see the light of day again).

Sentenza

iqWkFT5tn1L2F.png

This is why I haven't contributed. He seems to be saying "Look at all these features! ...Which we hope to do if we get big investors on board after crowdfunding."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So can someone explain what "Citizens cards" are and what the difference is between the 30, 35, and 40 dollar tiers?

This is why I haven't contributed. He seems to be saying "Look at all these features! ...Which we hope to do if we get big investors on board after crowdfunding."
Heh, that Takedown FPS shooter thing is going after the same model. As did Ryan Payton with his iOS game. These things are like pre-pre-orders to show investors that there is interest in the game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The biggest problem is that if you pay and the game doesn't hit the funding goal, you don't get your money back without going through some kind of refund process.

This is why I haven't kicked in despite *really* wanting this to succeed.

Grief.exe

So can someone explain what "Citizens cards" are and what the difference is between the 30, 35, and 40 dollar tiers?

The $30, $35, and $40 tiers are all the same.

The only difference is that the $30 and $35 tiers have limits, meant for early adopters. So if you pledge early, you can get in for $5 or $10 cheaper.

The $30 tier seems to have about 1400 spots left and the $35 tier seems to have about 4400 spots left.

So basically, it looks like about 1000 people are idiots...Or they just like paying more for the same product. To be fair, its not well explained and it might not have been explained at all on the backup site.

Interesting, looks like the opening of the main site's accounts system has enabled quite a few people to get in at the first responder level (and probably the other lower levels), making the average contribution fall to $92.70. Keeping at that average, they'll need at least 21,575 people to make the $2 million mark.

This game looks awesome but at the same time really ambitious. Is he going to have the funding for all this?!?

EDIT: I put 30 in with the refund option to Amazon.

I've never been so excited for a game. I'll throw down like 100 in November, but for now I just put down ten. Spent a lot this month.

Grief.exe

Just went over $800,000

I was looking at some data for other crowd funding projects, and the graphs kind of worry me. The first 3 days are usually when you get the highest jump in pledges, and he basically lost all three of them because the site was down.

He had the first hours, but after that the site imploded. He said that they were on track to become the highest crowd funded project ever, but lost that when they went down. If you believe that data, than it is not too much of a stretch to believe that if he used Kickstarter, he would be above 1.6 million dollars at this point.

Something might be a little lagged since the ticker is showing 8600 backers and I just added up about 9500 backers summing the individual pledge amounts. Missing 1000 backers from you ticker could be a lot of money when they are averaging about $100 a pop.

NSNDb.png

HsGaT.png

Hackbert

argh i am out of money to spent for this month ... if my paycheck for next month arrives before the deadline, i am in as early adopter. 810k in 6 days .. is that fast? seems to slow down (imo).

KKRT00

Now we are talking....fucking yes!

I wonder why he went with CryEngine 3 instead of Unreal, lighting maybe?

Better streaming tech, all lighting is real-time, better handling of occlussions, better lod handling, tessellation with good performance, better multicore support.
Of course i'm talking about UE 3.95 here.

Perkel

Banned
About an hour ago, the Roberts Space Industries Facebook page asked its followers to weigh in on putting "Star Citizen" on Kickstarter.

Chris Roberts' mind may be changing on the issue.

It has 308 likes as of right now.

Hell yeah finaly he realized that creating fundriser alone is hard stuff. Not only his site was down for first most critical days but also it's hard to see new updates on their site.

He should lunch kickstarter and tie it with their own site. And give it a goal like 2 000 000 with 800 being already pledged. And he should errase counter on his site because it is stupid.

Munin

Man this whole thing has become a mess. If he had used the original media hype for a Kickstarter straight away, he'd be closing in on 2 million now, if not more.

Now he's got 800k locked into his own system and is still considering a Kickstarter. Then what happens to the existing backers? Besides the PR boost from using Kickstarter *at this point* will be marginal.

Most of all though it gives the impression he doesn't even know what he's doing. If he can't even build a site to handle the traffic that wants to give him money, who would believe he can pull off the perhaps most ambitious game of all time without it all ending in catastrophic disappointment?

Perkel

Banned
Man this whole thing has become a mess. If he had used the original media hype for a Kickstarter straight away, he'd be closing in on 2 million now, if not more.

Now he's got 800k locked into his own system and is still considering a Kickstarter. Then what happens to the existing backers? Besides the PR boost from using Kickstarter *at this point* will be marginal.

Most of all though it gives the impression he doesn't even know what he's doing. If he can't even build a site to handle the traffic that wants to give him money, who would believe he can pull off the perhaps most ambitious game of all time without it all ending in catastrophic disappointment?

He knows what he is doing. He wanted to get full 2mln not 70% of that sum.
Problem is that his site was down on most critical days.

As of kickstarter He may announce 1 mln goal to correspond with 2 mln goal on his site. And cash would be together. Meaning he can achieve 1mln on his site and 1 mln in kickstarter then goal would be achieved.

Better streaming tech, all lighting is real-time, better handling of occlussions, better lod handling, tessellation with good performance, better multicore support.
Of course i'm talking about UE 3.95 here.

Dont troll.- It is bad for your health

duckroll

Hell yeah finaly he realized that creating fundriser alone is hard stuff. Not only his site was down for first most critical days but also it's hard to see new updates on their site.

He should lunch kickstarter and tie it with their own site. And give it a goal like 2 000 000 with 800 being already pledged. And he should errase counter on his site because it is stupid.

I dunno if Kickstarter will be happy with approving a project like that. Seems kinda half-assed, confusing, and questionable.

In fact, I've been horribly confused by this project for a while. Initially I thought it was a brand new game which was already in development from a publisher. Then it turns out that it's.... a crowd sourced game like all the other Kickstarter games... except it's not on Kickstarter, and instead uses a Wordpress crowd source widget. Now I'm reading that the site totally crashed when it launched (lol!), and checking up on the site itself, the reward seem confusing (why are there multiple reward tiers which all basically offer the exact same thing?), there are huge stretch goals when the initial goal isn't even remotely close to being reached, and the entire user interface just seems like a mess on the page.

I'm... not sure about this...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

He knows what he is doing. He wanted to get full 2mln not 70% of that sum.
Problem is that his site was down on most critical days.

As of kickstarter He may announce 1 mln goal to correspond with 2 mln goal on his site. And cash would be together. Meaning he can achieve 1mln on his site and 1 mln in kickstarter then goal would be achieved.

Yeah, he can just split the overall goal between both sites: $1.5 million on Kickstarter and $1.5 million on his own site.

It may be correct, though, that he's already lost too much momentum at this point and he'll never get enough backing, which is a sad thought. =/

duckroll

Does anyone know who the actual developers for the game are? Chris Roberts and....? Is this a new studio of his? Any veterans on the team? Have they made anything so far?

Zabojnik

I dunno if Kickstarter will be happy with approving a project like that. Seems kinda half-assed, confusing, and questionable.

In fact, I've been horribly confused by this project for a while. Initially I thought it was a brand new game which was already in development from a publisher. Then it turns out that it's.... a crowd sourced game like all the other Kickstarter games... except it's not on Kickstarter, and instead uses a Wordpress crowd source widget. Now I'm reading that the site totally crashed when it launched (lol!), and checking up on the site itself, the reward seem confusing (why are there multiple reward tiers which all basically offer the exact same thing?), there are huge stretch goals when the initial goal isn't even remotely close to being reached, and the entire user interface just seems like a mess on the page.

While I agree with some of the above, the same could be said about a lot of Kickstarter projects, even ambitious / very popular ones. As I see it, it's the nature of this relatively new crowdfunding idea, where the kinks / details are being worked out as time goes by. Frankly, I don't find Star Citizen's fundraising campaign to be really all that confusing. To start with, Chris came out with a pretty impressive presentation, detailing, well, the details and actually showing assets from the game. Which, again, is more than what we usually get at the very beginning (or even months later) with a lot of other projects of the same kind. Also, the rewards seem pretty well thought-out and explained to me? What's confusing you?

With that said, the initial site crash hurt them bad, really bad. They should get on Kickstarter and think of a way to restart this whole thing. Star Citizen has to happen!

Digoman

This was supposed to complete my three dream crowdsourcing projects, along with Doublefine's and Obsidian's, but I still don't feel confident pledging money at this point. The launch was a mess, the stretch goals way to high, and I have questions about what happens if they don't reach primary goal, or even if they do, since the $2m is just part of the budget.

As for their decision not go with Kickstarter, well, it just shows more bad planning on their part, since in the end it probably cost them a lot more with the sites crashes than that 5% fee.

With that said, the initial site crash hurt them bad, really bad. They should get on Kickstarter and think of a way to restart this whole thing. Star Citizen has to happen!

I don't know how they would make a successful relaunch, but it would be great if it happen. From the videos they already have a lot more to show off then the majority of the projects over there, so it would easily hit $2m to $3m.

Munin

I originally thought that another reason they didn't use Kickstarter was that their rules don't allow the crowdfunding goal to be part of larger investment efforts, i.e. the question is, if Roberts' nebulous investors suddenly decide they don't want to be part of it, what happens to the money raised via crowdsourcing? Is the game still getting made in that case?

Pooya

Does anyone know who the actual developers for the game are? Chris Roberts and....? Is this a new studio of his? Any veterans on the team? Have they made anything so far?

Cloud Imperium Games Corporation, this is their first project.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-melt-your-pc-with-new-space-sim-star-citizen

Roberts, who has been out of the public eye for the best part of a decade, founded developer Cloud Imperium Games Corporation in April 2011. He has alongside a small team worked on the creation of art assets, story elements and an extensive prototype of Star Citizen, a persistent online universe due out at some point in 2014.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/about-cloud-imperium/

Founded in 2011, little is known about Cloud Imperium Games Corporation, save that it is dedicated to high end gaming and anything involving spaceships.

linkedin only returns two results, lol. hard to say who else is there. one of them is Roberts the other is not related. there isn't anything on the studio else where.
http://www.linkedin.com/search?sear...Cloud+Imperium&sortCriteria=R&keepFacets=true

duckroll

Cloud Imperium Games Corporation, this is their first project.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-melt-your-pc-with-new-space-sim-star-citizen

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/about-cloud-imperium/

linkedin only returns two results, lol. hard to say who else is there. one of them is Roberts the other is not related. there isn't anything on the studio else where.
http://www.linkedin.com/search?sear...Cloud+Imperium&sortCriteria=R&keepFacets=true

Cool, thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for.

Grief.exe

Idk how you are confuses. Most is explained in the video, the rest is explained in the tiers itself.

The reason there are 3 tiers with the same benefits is because the $30 and $35 tiers are for early adopters and are limited in number. Project Eternity has the same set up. I explained it earlier on this page as well.

duckroll

Idk how you are confuses. Most is explained in the video, the rest is explained in the tiers itself.

The reason there are 3 tiers with the same benefits is because the $30 and $35 tiers are for early adopters and are limited in number. Project Eternity has the same set up. I explained it earlier on this page as well.

What's the difference between 30 and 35 then?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I really want a modern Wing Commander, but the funding drive seems like it was organized by simpletons.

And, I watch The Ultimate Fighter, so I know a simpleton when I see one.

Grief.exe

If you just read them it will tell you, or go higher up on this page I already wrote a detailed explanation.

The $30, $35, and $40 tiers are all the same.

The only difference is that the $30 and $35 tiers have limits, meant for early adopters. So if you pledge early, you can get in for $5 or $10 cheaper.

The $30 tier seems to have about 1400 spots left and the $35 tier seems to have about 4400 spots left.

So basically, it looks like about 1000 people are idiots...Or they just like paying more for the same product. To be fair, its not well explained and it might not have been explained at all on the backup site.

There are a limited amount of spots for the $30 tier, once that fills up there are a limited amount of spots for the $35 tier. After that, the regular price is $40.

All three tiers are the exact same product, the cheaper ones are an incentive for early adopters.

duckroll

If you just read them it will tell you, or go higher up on this page I already wrote a detailed explanation.

There are a limited amount of spots for the $30 tier, once that fills up there are a limited amount of spots for the $35 tier. After that, the regular price is $40.

All three tiers are the exact same product, the cheaper ones are an incentive for early adopters.

And if you read what you're explaining, you'll realize how silly and over-complicated it is. You only need one limited tier for that. Having more than one is just excessive.

That applies to a lot of the site design in general. It's cluttered, and visually confusing. This is not a criticism on the game pitch or anything, but just an observation of how much info overload there is on the site without communicating clear and important points to a potential contributor. When there is so much random information all over the page, it's hard to tell what are the actual important points they want to emphasize. It just looks like a mess.

androvsky

One's 5 dollars less than the other. I've seen Kickstarters do this, where there's a special low price tier for getting certain rewards, but there's a limited number. In theory, early adopters all buy in at the $30 mark, then people who come later are stuck with the $35 one, like a pre-order discount, with lots more pre-. In practice, fans get confused and pay for the more expensive one with the assumption it's better than the cheaper entry.

In general though, I've got all sorts of bad vibes from this project. When I first heard about the game it sounded like he had full funding already, but his investors wanted to play a fake Kickstarter game to "gauge interest".

I'm surprised there's a wildly ambitious space game being promised without anyone referencing Battlecruiser 3000.

Top Bottom