• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

FACE

Banned
Saturday, I decided to say fuck it. Connected my PC via HDMI to my 70" HDTV and 5.1 Surround sound. Installed PS3 controller drivers.

Gaming has never been this good. Sleeping Dogs with high-res texture and 60fps = AMAZING!

m1C1E.gif

saxman717

Banned
Saturday, I decided to say fuck it. Connected my PC via HDMI to my 70" HDTV and 5.1 Surround sound. Installed PS3 controller drivers.

Gaming has never been this good. Sleeping Dogs with high-res texture and 60fps = AMAZING!

70"? Come on, man, go all out and up that to 110"+ with a 1080p projector! Be careful, though, b/c it has a high disapproval rating among wives......until they see it in action :-D

gatti-man

People seem to be a bit concerned about the cockpit taking so much space on the screen ...

Heknp.jpg

If you think about it, it's a bit ridiculous that we'd still have framed cockpits in the future, considering today planes like the F-22 no longer have any framework whatsoever, just a pure bubble canopy. However, Josh Strike (HUD designer) posted that: "Historically, in Chris’s games, the higher-end / more expensive ships tend to have more open and undivided viewport areas in the cockpit than the basic models. Just sayin’." Makes sense. That enemy fighter concept art they released seems to indicate just that.

enemy-fighter-HUD-concept.jpg

That second cockpit looks AMAZING.

MedIC86

I know people dont have a crystal ball, but how realisticly you think the vision for this game will be? reading some stuff on reddit seems 'to good to be true'.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I know people dont have a crystal ball, but how realisticly you think the vision for this game will be? reading some stuff on reddit seems 'to good to be true'.

I don't think it's all going to drop at one time. Expect the various things to come out kind of piecemeal. It'll eventually get to what their describing, but definitely not at launch.

DTKT

That's something that a lot of Kickstarter and projects have in common. It's not that different from when a studio is pitching a game to a publisher. You tend to shoot for the stars and scale back from there.

vazel

Banned
The game does seem too ambitious but his comment about having a team continuously updating the game gives me hope that his complete vision will be fulfilled eventually.

Zabojnik

What is it that you guys find so impossibly ambitious? It is no doubt a very big and ambitious game and were it to be funded only by Kickstarter / RSI site, that would be a big cause for concern. That is not the case here however. Furthermore, if you look at games like EVE and the X saga ... those are some pretty fucking huge games too.

Dunno, with someone as experienced as Chris Roberts at the helm it seems more than doable. Not all at once, obviously, but doable nonetheless.

PBalfredo

Whelp, this is now the third space combat game I've funded through kickstarter. I think somewhere in the back of my mind is the faint hope that if enough space sims come out, then Lucasarts will make a new X-wing game.

Oh, and because Star Citizen looks awesome.

Grief.exe

Chris just can't catch a break.

Open up pledge website, getting tons of exposure, trending to be the best first day in crowd funding history, pledge site goes down.

Ama on the front page of reddit, getting tons of exposure, reddit goes down.

Zabojnik

He's probably looking on the bright side of things: the internet simply can't handle all the people interested in Star Citizen. :D

Despera

Banned
I wish I didn't know about the game this early. 2014 is so far away :(

The project is very ambitious, but some aspects are still not clear. So much hype regardless.

From what i've seen of this, it looks very good.

Am i expecting too much by wanting first-person versions of EVE online style battles, with each ship crewed by players and not just having the player crew magically teleport onto a gun?

Zabojnik

"Must my ship travel in the direction it is pointing? For example, could I accelerate to a given speed, cut my engines and, as I would be able to in reality, use my RCS to turn my ship to a retrograde attitude and blast my tailing attacker while still traveling in my original trajectory?

“You will have the ability to do this. Its a more advanced maneuver, and it may require an upgrade to your fly by wire system but it is definitely part of the arsenal of tools available to an advanced pilot.”

All I needed to know. Newtonian physics ftw.

FStop7

Banned
I want to donate to Star Citizen's Kickstarter, but that list of features is SO ambitious I'm not sure I believe they can have it ready close to 11/14. I mean that is a hell of a list.

gatti-man

I want to donate to Star Citizen's Kickstarter, but that list of features is SO ambitious I'm not sure I believe they can have it ready close to 11/14. I mean that is a hell of a list.

Did you see the playable alpha footage. He already has a working framework and some assets.

Zaptruder

Banned

The more money they get, the more features they'll be able to include from launch. It's in their long term plan to ultimately get all those features in eventually - the launch money just helps it along; allowing them to hire a larger staff to get the work required done essentially.

Looking at the current funding status, they're getting very close to meeting their funding goals on both the Kickstarter page and in the overall picture. The Kickstarter is at $443,263 (9911c, $44.72 avg), and it should be on track to hit the $500,000 mark tomorrow. The RSI page is close to $1.3 million ($1,298,077; 14457c, $89.79 avg). When the Kickstarter hits its funding goal, its funds will be added to the total displayed on the RSI page, putting their overall position at $1.8 million, a "mere" $200k away from the $2m funding goal.

Looking at the current funding status, they're getting very close to meeting their funding goals on both the Kickstarter page and in the overall picture. The Kickstarter is at $443,263 (9911c, $44.72 avg), and it should be on track to hit the $500,000 mark tomorrow. The RSI page is close to $1.3 million ($1,298,077; 14457c, $89.79 avg). When the Kickstarter hits its funding goal, its funds will be added to the total displayed on the RSI page, putting their overall position at $1.8 million, a "mere" $200k away from the $2m funding goal.

Really? I thought the kick starter and website funds were already pooled together on the pledge counter. Great if not!!

Ledsen

I've never played a space sim in my life but after watching that Kickstarter video my mouse went to the "pledge" button at FTL speeds. Holy goddamn shitcakes on goldplated sandwiches, this sounds and looks like the greatest game ever.

edit: Wait, do they already have additional funding from private investors or not? I'm getting conflicted messages from the video and this thread.

Zabojnik

I've never played a space sim in my life but after watching that Kickstarter video my mouse went to the "pledge" button at FTL speeds. Holy goddamn shitcakes on goldplated sandwiches, this sounds and looks like the greatest game ever.

edit: Wait, do they already have additional funding from private investors or not? I'm getting conflicted messages from the video and this thread.

From yesterday's AMA:

Hey, glad to have you back as a game developer!

I'm curious about the budget, you're looking to raise a few million dollars but promise an amount of depth and complexity (MMO & singleplayer, visuals, etc) that needs at least 20 million (and that's probably not enough by far). Any plans on where to get the other 80-90% for the game? Do you plan on working with a publisher or do you have private funding?

We have private funding (not publisher funding). The crowd funding side helps to determine how ambitious we can be upfront. The overall game wont cost $20M upfront, but probably by the end of the first year of public release we will have spent that much between the original game and the ongoing content that year.

Perkel

Banned

I think 1st teaser trailer is the best

The extended one and pitch video didn't have music like that and this music with combination of gameplay and cutscenes is just godly.

Grief.exe

11k to go for the kick-starter goal. the 2 million goal seems achievable for the next 2 days.

Then once it reaches the 2 million, there will be another flood of media reports on the game, getting more pledges.

At least for me, its sad because I don't think I can afford to contribute to the game. I'm a poor college student and $30 is just too much for me right now.

Its so sad for me too because I've been following this daily and this seems like the perfect project for me to endorse.

ghostmind

Kickstarter goal has been met with 26 days left. Total now is about 1.83 million between the two sites, so we should see the main goal met soon.

Zabojnik

I'm really digging the frequent site updates and info bits, fiction included. Ships info is also on the way, so we're good on that front. They'll reach 2M$+ soon enough, but they really need to do something about the stretch goals if they want to keep the momentum going. They are too generic, vague and waaay too spread out. They should follow Project Eternity's example and add something cool every 300K$ or so. Stuff like "300.000$ more and we will hire Mark Hamill for voice acting!" One million between goals is too much.

ghostmind

I'm really digging the frequent site updates and info bits, fiction included. Ships info is also on the way, so we're good on that front. They'll reach 2M$+ soon enough, but they really need to do something about the stretch goals if they want to keep the momentum going. They are too generic, vague and waaay too spread out. They should follow Project Eternity's example and add something cool every 300K$ or so. Stuff like "300.000$ more and we will hire Mark Hamill for voice acting!" One million between goals is too much.

They should take notes from Project Eternity - clear stretch goals that grow as progress is made and clear breakdowns of what is offered in each tier. They REALLY need to get the concept art/specs out for the various ship types that are in each tier. Should have had that ready from the start.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I haven't pledged yet because I've been so busy with work lately, but I want physical stuff from this game, so that $120 pledge is looking tempting. It's a lot of money, though ...

Zabojnik

They should take notes from Project Eternity - clear stretch goals that grow as progress is made and clear breakdowns of what is offered in each tier. They REALLY need to get the concept art/specs out for the various ship types that are in each tier. Should have had that ready from the start.

Ben Lesnick (community manager) six minutes ago via twitter:

"Hey, we hit our $500,000 goal on Kickstarter! Onward to $3 million! New stretch goals and a ships plan SOON!"

Chris Roberts:

"We have some updates coming VERY soon that you’ve all be waiting for. For everyone in Europe, they will be waiting for you when you wake up!"

Ben Lesnick (community manager) six minutes ago via twitter:

"Hey, we hit our $500,000 goal on Kickstarter! Onward to $3 million! New stretch goals and a ships plan SOON!"

Chris Roberts:

"We have some updates coming VERY soon that you’ve all be waiting for. For everyone in Europe, they will be waiting for you when you wake up!"

Awesome!

Top Bottom