• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

that looks great, their also planning on releasing the concept art for the constellation sometime early this week which should hopefully bump up more of the upper level pledges before it ends

Corto

I'm a full grown man and I'm not ashamed to say that that WIP video gave me teary eyes. Space ballet. Beautiful space ballet.

the new update says they are #2 in most money raised towards a crowd funded game after project eternity, but isn't project cars 2nd place with around $3.7 million so far?

Zabojnik

Damn, that's quite the commitment.

I don't think I'll be going that far... but don't mind chipping in some extra for the skins and other crap to help push this over the 4 million mark.

Yeah, well, I figure if this (and Elite: Dangerous) doesn't succeed, it'll take another 10 years before we see another decent space sim. So I'm doing what I can. It was the same with Project Eternity. An old-school CRPG and a space sim, two dreams (of mine) come true!

People should know that you'll be able to upgrade your pledge even after the campaign is over. If you can't afford the tier that gets you a ship right now, you can always pledge 30$ and put that Christmas bonus to good use later on. :D

SparkTR

Yeah, well, I figure if this (and Elite: Dangerous) doesn't succeed, it'll take another 10 years before we see another decent space sim. So I'm doing what I can. It was the same with Project Eternity. An old-school CRPG and a space sim, two dreams (of mine) come true!

X Rebirth is still coming out as well, I really hope that doesn't get overshadowed considering EgoSoft continued making space sims when everybody else left the genre to die.

Hackbert

seems like a daily routine hehe
We’ve reached the $3.4 million unlock: the Goss System! At $3.5 million you’ll earn another system and learn more about the games’ docking mechanics. Let’s get there soon!

Goss System
Ownership: UEE
Planets: 3
Planetary Rotation: Goss I 50 SED, Cassel (Goss II) 244 SED, Goss III 309 SED
Import: Food, Energy supplies
Export: Elements.
Crime Status: Low-Med.
Black Market: Kidnapping, Theft.
UEE Strategic Value: Blue

Description: Generally regarded as one of the most visually stunning systems in the Empire, the Goss System is a binary star system situated in the forefront of a massive emission nebula. Permanent bands of turqouise, gold and deep orange paint the sky from any location in the system.

All three of Goss’ planets are inhabitable. The bulk of the system’s economy comes from tourism, but Gossians pride themselves on being self sufficient. Long-haul traders will find few bargains here, as the system produces little worthy of export and gathers its raw materials internally, mining and harvesting resources from the inner planets as needed.

The main destination is the lush, thriving resort world of Cassel (Goss II.) The surface is largely tropical rain forests dotted with stately pleasure domes constructed to support tourists and dozens of launch arcologies that house the descendants of the original Goss settlers. Goss I is a low-atmosphere world with abundant heavy metals. Scattered pockets of well-paid miners are a reasonable market for luxury goods and black market items, although the systems’ strict export policies prevent shipping raw materials out-system.

The Olympus Pool has dark side, too: the same nebula that delights tourists also acts as an effective curtain for several deep space pirate clans. Pirates are generally careful not to interfere in the tourism on Cassel… but the brilliantly colored sky is believed to hide multiple clan operations facilities and supply chain master points.

WARNING: gravity effects of the binary star have rendered portions of the system untenable to starships not carrying Level 7 shields or above. Consult current gravity maps before attempting transit!

Next, at $3.5 million: “Formerly the most distant UEE colony it grew to notoriety as the first contact point with the Vanduul. The attacks became so frequent that the settlers ultimately abandoned it.”

Wubby

I'm in before the Kickstarter ends but I can't decide between the $125 package that comes with the Hornet dogfighter or the $250 one that comes with the larger Constellation.

Zabojnik

I'm in before the Kickstarter ends but I can't decide between the $125 package that comes with the Hornet dogfighter or the $250 one that comes with the larger Constellation.

I'd say wait for the Stella brochure and then decide. It's coming ... soon.

Christopher Roberts: Sorry to disapoint wont be tomorrow. May be Wed, if not will be Thur. Ryan is trying to get me the minimum stuff I want for the first proper ship reveal / flesh out by Wed. When you see it you’ll understand why its taken a while. Its not a sketch.

epmode

I always had more fun with smaller, faster dogfighters than something like a Wing Commander 2 Broadsword.

Babalu.

wait so these ships that you get for giving them money (constellation, others) are your permanent ships in the game? If you don't throw the money now, you can't buy them during the game or upgrade or something?

Zabojnik

wait so these ships that you get for giving them money (constellation, others) are your permanent ships in the game? If you don't throw the money now, you can't buy them during the game or upgrade or something?

No, you can always buy them in the game later. The only real advantage of pledge ships is that you get free lifetime insurance. Which supposedly won't be a big deal.

eastmen

Banned
I'm trying to figure out what to pledge .

I really wish the $125 pledge levels had a digital only verison that was cheaper. I think i'm going to have to give $60 instead of more. the prices for the ships only are crazy expensive

The hornet is $110 + the 30 minimum base pledge. You get the hornet at the $125 level with a ton of other stuff. IT makes no sense at all .

vazel

Banned
I removed my Strike Suit Zero pledge so I could up my Star Citizen pledge to Mercenary. So conflicted. I needed dat alpha.
I feel guilty retracting my Distance pledge so I can upgrade my Star Citizen pledge to the $60 tier(plus $5 for the electro skin hull enhancement).

Zarx

Kinda feel like upping my pledge, but $30 to $60 is a big jump and more that I am really prepared to put in at this stage. I guess an extra copy would be nice if I had a friend who was interested in the game but hadn't already pledged.

I wish there was something at the $50 mark, just to make me feel better about it. That $4m is so close I can almost smell it.

Also they still haven't linked my pledge yet...

Jonnyram

If this were confirmed for Mac (or Linux), I'd back it, but without that confirmation, I'll just wait until it's made.
Honestly, I'm surprised at the lack of support.

zoku88

If this were confirmed for Mac (or Linux), I'd back it, but without that confirmation, I'll just wait until it's made.
Honestly, I'm surprised at the lack of support.

It's not so surprising considering that it's built on CryEngine 3.

Though, they did have a poll on their site for asking for features and Linux support was 6th place.

Arcoril

Fuck. What am I doing.

S6s5I.png

I removed my Strike Suit Zero pledge so I could up my Star Citizen pledge to Mercenary. So conflicted. I needed dat alpha.

I feel guilty retracting my Distance pledge so I can upgrade my Star Citizen pledge to the $60 tier(plus $5 for the electro skin hull enhancement).

I've pledged to both of them. You guys are making me want to drop them so I can add the money to Star Citizen. Must resist...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Welp, I just dropped $125 on the Colonel tier on Kickstarter. I wanted those physical rewards.

Now the long, cold wait for the alpha build begins...

GrizzNKev

Banned
This is the first video game kickstarter I've ever been interested in. The production quality of the game's self-promotion gives me great confidence. Looking at that $37 tier. We'll see, I'm really low on money. Might cancel my PSASBR preorder for this...

I am a pc gamer at heart and a graphics whore even more so. I love sci-fi, I love flying, and this looks awesome. So tempted.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This is the first video game kickstarter I've ever been interested in. The production quality of the game's self-promotion gives me great confidence. Looking at that $37 tier. We'll see, I'm really low on money. Might cancel my PSASBR preorder for this...

I am a pc gamer at heart and a graphics whore even more so. I love sci-fi, I love flying, and this looks awesome. So tempted.

Sounds like it's right up your alley =P

Zabojnik

Do it. Dooooo it. DOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Xane

Everyone! Aaaachtung!

I implore you all to do your duty as a Citizen and pledge what you can!
Amount doesn't matter, you will still be able to upgrade / pledge more even after the campaign ends until the very release of the game.

For the PC, for the Space-Sim! *salutes*

Babalu.

so are there any pictures or the electro skin hull enhancement or any of the skins? And will these be available ingame if you didn't pledge?

basis

Is there a difference between pledging with Kickstarter or RSI? (I've actually pledged via RSI, and should I switch over to Kickstarter)?

Are the digital add-ons going to be like DLC code?
I've already pledged to be an Early Adopter (comes with an Aurora) but purchased a 300i digital download. I could either use the 300i on my account or give it to a friend right? That's the assumption here, hope it's correct.

vazel

Banned
Is there a difference between pledging with Kickstarter or RSI? (I've actually pledged via RSI, and should I switch over to Kickstarter)?

I've already pledged to be an Early Adopter (comes with an Aurora) but purchased a 300i digital download. I could either use the 300i on my account or give it to a friend right? That's the assumption here, hope it's correct.
Your kickstarter pledge will be merged with your RSI account. The only difference is how they accept payments. RSI instantly charges you. Kickstarter charges you at the end of the fund raising.

Zabojnik

Another difference is that they get all the money you pledge via the RSI site, while Kickstarter takes a cut (something like 5%, I think?) for themselves. Also, if you're more interested in KS specific stretch goals, pledge there. The next one is at 1.5M$. Other then that, it doesn't really matter where you pledge. Yes, the digital add-ons will most likely be DLC codes. I seem to remember Chris or Ben mentioning it somewhere.

3.6M$ star system unlocked!

Ellis System

ellis-740x300.png

Ownership: UEE (corporate)

Planets: 13

Planetary Rotation: Ellis IV (200 SED), Ellis IX (8,922 SED)

Import: Mechanical Goods, Luxury

Export: Fuel

Crime Status: Medium (Gambling)

Black Market: None

UEE Strategic Value: Purple

Description: Ellis is most famously home of the Murray Cup, the jewel in in-system star racing’s triple crown. The Ellis route runs through the densely packed inner worlds, through the twin asteroid belts and stops at one of Ellis VIII’s Lagrange points. A series of thousands of orbital monitoring buoys has been deployed throughout the system to monitor and broadcast race progress. During the off-season, aspiring racers and engine customization fans are allowed to run the track themselves for a small fee.

Ellis IV (Seahorse) is an entirely ordinary green-band planet save for an unusually high gravity for a settled world: over twice Earth standard. As such, Ellisians tend to be stocky and muscular and the planet’s fauna takes on a variety of interesting shapes (the best example being the aptly named flatcats.) Seahorse boasts a shining A+3 colonization rating from UEE Colonization Command.

Ellis IX (Walleye) is a gas giant which has been patterned for use as a refueling world. Large freighters and warships form visually impressive queues to take on much needed fuel, and a service industry has formed for long-haul transport crews making layovers in the system during the lengthy Earth-Pinecone run. Nearby refineries dot the planet’s skyline and cheaply convert the raw fuel for mass export.

Next, at $3.7 million: “Pirate System. Galactic Junkyard. One sun, there for light and a massive garbage disposal. “

More here. A new ship will be added to the game at $3.75M. Keep it up, people!

Top Bottom