• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Zabojnik

I think it's ridiculous that TrackIR is a Kickstarter stretch goal. It'll be laughable if KS fails to meet 1.75mil despite the combined campaign being highly successful. It should be a combined goal.

Eh, come on, we all know these kind of stretch goals are there just to entice people to pledge. It's not like there won't be TrackIR support if we don't reach 1.75M$ on KS. Chris has already been talking to the TrackIR / Oculus guys and stated several times that both are a given.

Zabojnik

Their website exploded... again.

Goddamn Elite Dangerous fans with their DOS attacks! Take your procedurally generated universe and shove it up your black hole!
I pledged to both. <3

Site is up again. 3.924.000$ already, holy shit!

I messaged them asking for some more details about the making of book (specifically page length). Here's what I got for anyone interested.

"Hello! We just listed them as 42-page because of our name. :) We don't really know how long they'll end up being, that's just sort of our planned minimum. The Making of book should be cool, it'll follow the game starting with this campaign showing the behind the scenes stuff all the way to release, with all the concept art and such in full color. It's being done by the guy behind the Wing Commander Arena "Star Soldier" manual, if you're familiar with that booklet!"

ghostmind

I messaged them asking for some more details about the making of book (specifically page length). Here's what I got for anyone interested.

"Hello! We just listed them as 42-page because of our name. :) We don't really know how long they'll end up being, that's just sort of our planned minimum. The Making of book should be cool, it'll follow the game starting with this campaign showing the behind the scenes stuff all the way to release, with all the concept art and such in full color. It's being done by the guy behind the Wing Commander Arena "Star Soldier" manual, if you're familiar with that booklet!"

I'm thinking of getting all 3 HC books, as each should bring something different.

Keasar

Or you could, you know, enjoy working your way to the Constellation in-game ...

New update, we get to choose how the Freelancer is going to look.

Wait, so the Kickstarter ships wont be exclusive to backers? They will just be non-destroyable so the backers can get them back whenever they are destroyed?

epmode

Wait, so the Kickstarter ships wont be exclusive to backers? They will just be non-destroyable so the backers can get them back whenever they are destroyed?

None of the ships are exclusive to Kickstarter or RSI backers.

The ship(s) you get with your pledge on either site is exactly the same as the one you can purchase in-game with one exception: Free lifetime insurance.

If a ship obtained through the Kickstarter or RSI site is destroyed, you'll get a free replacement minus all cargo in the hold and any modifications and extra components. Ships purchased in-game will have to be insured (for a reportedly small fee) or risk losing it forever.

Keasar

None of the ships are exclusive to Kickstarter or RSI backers.

The ship(s) you get with your pledge on either site is exactly the same as the one you can purchase in-game with one exception: Free lifetime insurance.

If a ship obtained through the Kickstarter or RSI site is destroyed, you'll get a free replacement minus all cargo in the hold and any modifications and extra components. Ships purchased in-game will have to be insured (for a reportedly small fee) or risk losing it forever.

Well that just saved me a 220 dollars then. Though still considering going 125 for the sake of the awesome game.

Hana-Bi

I'm wanted to upgrade my 300i on KS also, do I just add $65 on top of my 60 to get the Lancer packages or do I need to add the entire amount for another ship?

Don't know how it exactly works on KS since I upgraded on RSI, but I think you should have the option to see your pledge and from there the option to upgrade your pledge. And then you just have to pay $65 more (you have to chose a $125 tier, but $60 will be subtracted during the upgrade process).

Llyranor

Okay, so combined 4.5 mill = all the Kickstarter stretch goals unlocked. That means extra ships and trackIR/multiple monitor support. This needs to happen.

delta25

Banned
This looks great and all, but the BSG nerd in me really want's a full fledged BSG game.

It blows my mind at how badly NBC Universal has squandered what could have been a potentially amazing video game franchise.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Impressive they have surpassed Eternity even after their launch debacle. But this funding period has been a bit longer than other kickstarters so its kinda not fair.

epmode

Impressive they have surpassed Eternity even after their launch debacle. But this funding period has been a bit longer than other kickstarters so its kinda not fair.

Eh, the max project length at Kickstarter is a lot longer than the value Obsidian chose. I don't think it's very relevant here.

ezekial45

Banned
So is the combat and exploration entirely in your space ship? I'd like to see some on foot exploration. Like being able to land on planets and asteroids to find resources and content?

Is there something like that?

FGMPR

Banned
Reading about this game reminds me of reading about Battlecruiser 3000AD in previews in PC mags back in the 90's. At the time, I thought it was going to be my dream game. We all know how that went lol.

I really hope Roberts (and his team) can pull all these elements together because this is an almighty task he has set himself.

Midou

Let's actually play a few of the games before we go that far

Yeah, I'm a bit cautiously optimistic in general. That said, many of these projects are a dream come true, one that seems like it would have died without kickstarter. Pretty much 90% of the adventure games I loved when I was younger are coming back in some way or another, and that is crazy on it's own.

Beaner

Upgraded my $30 backing to $265 on KS. I've always liked walking around in vehicles that someone could fly around at the same time (loved BF1942 mods for this) and the Constellation seems like it could fit this thing I've been missing, and it'll be nice to be able to play with it how I want to with the lifetime insurance. I should stop buying things though!

Zabojnik

So is the combat and exploration entirely in your space ship? I'd like to see some on foot exploration. Like being able to land on planets and asteroids to find resources and content?

Is there something like that?

You'll be able to walk around in your space ship (provided it has more than just a cockpit, obviously), bars, bases, trading centers and such on planets ... that's about it. Atmosferic flying / planet exploration is something Roberts is very interested in, but that's a feature for another day. Or year, I should say. It would mean a whole new game. We're not getting it on launch. Understandably, I might add.

Flambe

So tempted to upgrade from my $60 to $125 or $250 (mostly for the ship upgrades)..

But to justify it when buying a new car and house.. lol ahh

Zabojnik

You'd think Star Citizen would get more love on GAF ... guess not. Well, the others (and us!) are apparently more than making up for it. :)

Top Bottom