• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

UltraMav

I skipped WC 3-4... didn't have the proper hardware at the time and when I got it I forgot about the game. There was no internet to remind me about it!

Oh man, you really need to find yourself some copies. Actually, *I* need to do another run-through of the series. It's been a few years but I used to do annual playthroughs of all of the mainline games. Anybody know if the Kilrathi Saga runs on Windows 7?

I don't remember Wing Commander being a complicated space sim. Seems like a perfect console game, shame it wasn't made, we would get Wing Commander AND Star Citizen. I'd take both.
I had Wing Commander 3 for my 3DO back in the day along with a CH Flightstick Pro and it ran perfectly. One of my most memorable experiences with that console.

Ignoring the crazy Wing Commander/space sims, whats the general consensus best value for money tier? Pledged $30 at the beginning of the campaign, but will chip in more because of how ambitious the project is

I'm thinking of going for a $60 package with an additional $10 physical copy of the map.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Okay, THIS is fucking awesome:

Amazing.

That is awesome. I remember that message. It was so unexpectedly polite.

Oh man, you really need to find yourself some copies. Actually, *I* need to do another run-through of the series. It's been a few years but I used to do annual playthroughs of all of the mainline games. Anybody know if the Kilrathi Saga runs on Windows 7?

Try Good Old Games' website.

Zabojnik

Holy shit, Chris' movie company had the rights for the Cowboy Bebop movie ... they tried to pitch it to studios and no one was interested.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Zaptruder

Banned
Hey, if you guys catch interesting tid-bits about the games, repost them here.

Just heard Chris talking about AI NPCs on multiplayer ships (like the Constellation) - yes, that's the way he'll probably go to make it work. So when friends come and play, they just possess one of your NPCs and provide you with better interaction and performance than AIs will be capable of.

But then they'll have to figure out the subsystems that allow for it, including hiring/firing and differing skill levels.

vazel

Banned
Hey, if you guys catch interesting tid-bits about the games, repost them here.

Just heard Chris talking about AI NPCs on multiplayer ships (like the Constellation) - yes, that's the way he'll probably go to make it work. So when friends come and play, they just possess one of your NPCs and provide you with better interaction and performance than AIs will be capable of.

But then they'll have to figure out the subsystems that allow for it, including hiring/firing and differing skill levels.
Ha! I remember when STO came out I was disappointed the game didn't have a crewed starship system and everyone in the thread told me how a system like that would be impossible to do and really boring and blah blah.

Use your imagination and Chris Roberts will make it come true!

Zaptruder

Banned
They're talking about how they're so sure they'll make money with it been a free to play.

Basically, Roberts is giving the standard spiel about a variety of players, some will spend and some won't, be as long as they attract a large enough crowd, everyone will benefit.

Which is all good and well, but IMO, they should also combine it with the Valve method of making money...

Which is allow the user base to make content (which they're doing) and allow them to charge what they want - in dollars and credits. Take a cut of the dollar value.

So every instance of the ship sold might cost $4 million credits + $4 USD...

And although dollars will scale linearly to the credits ($1 = 500k credits), it's up to the ship designer/seller to determine the ratio cost of the ship (i.e. all credits, only dollars, or a 20/80 split, etc).

That way, the userbase has the freedom to make money from their work as befits their business strategy, and RSI gets an additional revenue stream to support their works.

Xane

EwBhQ.png

Zaptruder

Banned
Holy shit.

This is going to be the best game ever, isn't it?

It's pretty damn sweet.

But to be fair, it looks like an somewhat more detailed Freelancer style space to planet transition.

i.e. You're not going to fly from space onto planet surface via the game engine, but you will be able to walk around a limited docking area like you can walk around a ship interior.

Which tbh is A-OK with me - the focus of development should largely be about space and the ships.

I wonder if each planet will be a unique space unto itself... hopefully we get at least some degree of unique variety on each planet.

Say... maybe 10-20 platform configurations, interchangeable with backgrounds (areas you can't access but can see), with doodads and shop signage that can dropped and added.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It's pretty damn sweet.

But to be fair, it looks like an somewhat more detailed Freelancer style space to planet transition.

i.e. You're not going to fly from space onto planet surface via the game engine, but you will be able to walk around a limited docking area like you can walk around a ship interior.

Which tbh is A-OK with me - the focus of development should largely be about space and the ships.

I wonder if each planet will be a unique space unto itself... hopefully we get at least some degree of unique variety on each planet.

Say... maybe 10-20 platform configurations, interchangeable with backgrounds (areas you can't access but can see), with doodads and shop signage that can dropped and added.

Yeah, I totally understand and expect all of those scope limitations. I'm just a huge graphics whore and the style and setting appeal to me more than most other things.

derFeef

I am not that impressed by the footage. While it looks quite good technically, it could use some better "art" if you guys know what I mean, it looks too dry and lifeless, but I guess it's just test footage.

Zabojnik

So every instance of the ship sold might cost $4 million credits + $4 USD...

And although dollars will scale linearly to the credits ($1 = 500k credits), it's up to the ship designer/seller to determine the ratio cost of the ship (i.e. all credits, only dollars, or a 20/80 split, etc).

That way, the userbase has the freedom to make money from their work as befits their business strategy, and RSI gets an additional revenue stream to support their works.

... Chris' thoughts exactly! He basically just said the same thing answering a user content related question.

SparkTR

I like what I see. Regardless of how successful this is I can see this being a new platform for space fans to converge and create awesome content for, kind of like an ultra advanced Freespace 2.

Zabojnik

Pledged another 125$. Alright, time to hit the sack for a few hours. I count on you guys to post any interesting info bits that may come up during the broadcast! :)

Later!

Zaptruder

Banned
At this rate, we might actually make it to $6 million, which is goddamn absurd! ABSURD!

9.5 hours left, 30k per 30 minutes... will get us over the line.

Hackbert

30 minutes before i have to leave.. 8k to go for five and a halve million bucks.
If i could mod properly, Cowboy Bebop universe would be my first choice

edit : aaand they are there.. ee ya in 8 hours. will be exciting to see where it stopped

Top Bottom