• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Keasar

Doubtful. As it was originally described, planets are simply hubs where you're relatively limited in your actions.

Aaw, but I wanted to walk inside a seedy bar, see the murderer of my last character, sit down, act friendly, offer some drinks and then shotgun blast the jerk before running out to my ship and jump from the system. :(

So I really miss space sims and am looking for any recommendations to hop back into after I finish up with finals.

I'm planning on trying out the TIE Fighter total conversion for X-Wing Alliance, and throwing in updated models from the XWAUpgrade project.

Any other classic games that'll play reasonably in Windows 7 you guys would recommend?

garath

So I really miss space sims and am looking for any recommendations to hop back into after I finish up with finals.

I'm planning on trying out the TIE Fighter total conversion for X-Wing Alliance, and throwing in updated models from the XWAUpgrade project.

Any other classic games that'll play reasonably in Windows 7 you guys would recommend?

It's not a classic game but X3 is probably the best single player space sim I've played. It has a learning curve but is really good. Many many hours can be sunk into that game. Start with Terran Conflict.

It's not a classic game but X3 is probably the best single player space sim I've played. It has a learning curve but is really good. Many many hours can be sunk into that game. Start with Terran Conflict.

Gotcha. I'd heard there were some issues with the AI just trying to ram you. Might be thinking of something else...I'll have to try it out.

Sentenza

It has a far too terrible dogfight system to be considered even a decent space sim, honestly.

garath

It has a far too terrible dogfight system to be considered even a decent space sim, honestly.

Then by that logic you'd call Eve Online a terrible space sim as well. Space sim isn't necessarily defined by the dogfighting (which is passable in X3). It completely depends what you are looking for. Open sandbox type gameplay, small ship management, big ship management, fleet management, trading, dogfighting, on rails story combat game.

Minsc

Gold Member
It sounds like what will set this apart from EVE the most (though perhaps I'm not the best person to say since I've not really played EVE beyond reading peoples' impressions and a few guides), is there'll be a bigger focus on the individual player's ability with their ship. This is a skill based game, no bars to level with experience, no training stats etc. There may not even be player levels in this iirc (outside of rank / kill stats and rep). Being better at dogfighting (through practice) is far more important than the ship you're in. Hopefully there won't be large guilds either, I'd like to see a handful of players (10 or so) able to wreck total havoc all by themselves - or save a situation from disaster.

Perkel

Banned
Space sim != dogfighting.

That's like saying Flight simulator isn't a flight sim.

Either way, you're welcome to your opinion.

Well he has a point. X3 is poor flying space sim but good 4x game from ship perspective. X3 isn't really any better than decade old games like Freespace

If you want a game where you could fly and be awesome X3 is not the game you want. X3 is amazing if you want to build your empire from single ship, make wars, trade, run economy etc.

Fireye

I'm trying to figure out the numbering system for the Citizen Cards (what shows up on the left-hand side). Someone who has received theirs, can you check to see if the number on your card matches the number in the "Recruit your Friends" section of the site?

Can't wait to get mine!

Keasar

Got my card in the mail today too, got sadly some slightly scratched lettering but its still pretty nice looking.
mA8qqwz.jpg
Don't know if I should contact them about it or just let it be.

Minsc

Gold Member
Got my card in the mail today too, got sadly some slightly scratched lettering but its still pretty nice looking.

Don't know if I should contact them about it or just let it be.

They said somewhere that they had a whole bunch of cards sent out with some sort of errors, and they already were aware and were sending replacements. So I'd probably show them the pic and I imagine they'd send you a new one. You may even be on that list of people automatically getting a replacement card, I didn't catch exactly what was wrong with the batch that went out which they're replacing.

Keasar

They said somewhere that they had a whole bunch of cards sent out with some sort of errors, and they already were aware and were sending replacements. So I'd probably show them the pic and I imagine they'd send you a new one. You may even be on that list of people automatically getting a replacement card, I didn't catch exactly what was wrong with the batch that went out which they're replacing.

Checked up the forum, apparently the printers didn't understand most European letters so letters like ü, å, ö, ä got replaced with a '?'.

Don't think scratched cards are automatically replaced, gonna send a email and ask if it is possible to get a new one. It isn't too terrible with this one, it looks aged and worn that way, though still would be nice with a mint one
(and let me wear out that one myself instead :p)

Dead Man

Just got the email with the design phase of the Vanduul Scythe, they had some cool concepts they went through before settling on the final one.

Keasar

Nice, got a email about my Star Citizen card, everyone who have a card with production fault will get a new once they have confirmed everybody getting their cards.

FreeSpace 2.

Onemic

What do they mean by lifetime insurance under the stretch goals? And anyone have any idea when the alpha will be released?

What do they mean by lifetime insurance under the stretch goals? And anyone have any idea when the alpha will be released?

Anyone who backs the project before June 28th will be able to get lifetime insurance (LTI) for any ship they purchase before November 26th. It was initially only offered to backers right at the beginning but was subsequently added as a stretch goal for all if they crossed 9 million in funding.

LTI has become a rather complicated thing and has generated a lot of discussion in the community so they issued a clarification that's worth looking at if you're confused - http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/lifetime-insurance-clarification/

Alpha is scheduled to start at the end of this year but no guarantees, obviously. The hangar app they're building is supposed to launch some time this summer.

The 300i sale is going to start this Friday. Probably going to bump up my pledge to that level depending on the sale.

Dead Man

Anyone who backs the project before June 28th will be able to get lifetime insurance (LTI) for any ship they purchase before November 26th. It was initially only offered to backers right at the beginning but was subsequently added as a stretch goal for all if they crossed 9 million in funding.

LTI has become a rather complicated thing and has generated a lot of discussion in the community so they issued a clarification that's worth looking at if you're confused - http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/lifetime-insurance-clarification/

Alpha is scheduled to start at the end of this year but no guarantees, obviously. The hangar app they're building is supposed to launch some time this summer.

The 300i sale is going to start this Friday. Probably going to bump up my pledge to that level depending on the sale.

Working really ahrd on my willpower to not do that :)

gamma

Another sale? I already pledged for the tier that gets the 300i, what will the sale offer?

Whats up with all the sales anyway? Didn't they get enough money already?

Minsc

Gold Member
Another sale? I already pledged for the tier that gets the 300i, what will the sale offer?

Budget they need is 20-25 million, they've currently raised 10 million and would prefer to raise another 10 without 3rd parties if it is possible (unlikely imo).

Keasar

Budget they need is 20-25 million, they've currently raised 10 million and would prefer to raise another 10 without 3rd parties if it is possible (unlikely imo).
Didn't they already secure financing from some 3rd parties already on top of that 10 million? Pretty sure there were talks about some other investors.

gamma

That's not what they said during the inital kickstarter though. They only asked for what, 2 million? They then even reached most of their stretch goals and now they keep asking for more money.

Sentenza

That's not what they said during the inital kickstarter though. They only asked for what, 2 million? They then even reached most of their stretch goals and now they keep asking for more money.
That's... actually exactly what they said.
They claimed from the start that those 2 millions of original goal weren't going to be enough to fund the game, just a way to prove to private investors that there was a lot of interest around the product.

Of course, given how successful they are, I guess now they are also trying to rely as much as possible on the community and generate as little debt with investors as possible.

Zabojnik

They're building a triple A single/multiplayer space-sim. More money = more people they can hire = more features/content at launch. These kind of sales are (in part) how CIG will be making money once SC goes live. Why not start now? People love spending money on space ships, let them. The rest of us (well, of you, I guess, I'll be probably getting one or two more before launch) can enjoy the unveiling of new ships, feast your eyes on the sale brochures, etc. Everybody wins.

Also, new stretch goals. Motion/performance capture studio at 10M$, sound studio is probably next on the list.

The last time they did an Aurora sale they got a million dollars in a week. Their backers are willing to spend money on more ships to upgrade their pledges, so they do them. There's a guy who has bought 59 ships in the game already!

gamma

They claimed for the start that those 2 millions of original goal weren't going to be enough to fund the game, just a way to prove to private investors that there was a lot of interest around the product.

Of course, given how successful they are, I guess now they are also trying to rely as much as possible on the community and generate as little debt with investors as possible.

They're building a triple A single/multiplayer space-sim. More money = more people they can hire = more features/content at launch. These kind of sales are (in part) how CIG will be making money once SC goes live. Why not start now? People love spending money on space ships, let them. The rest of us (well, of you, I guess, I'll be probably getting one or two more before launch) can enjoy the unveiling of new ships, feast your eyes on the sale brochures, etc. Everybody wins.

Also, new stretch goals. Motion/performance capture studio at 10M$, sound studio is probably next on the list.

The last time they did an Aurora sale they got a million dollars in a week. Their backers are willing to spend money on more ships to upgrade their pledges, so they do them. There's a guy who has bought 59 ships in the game already!

Yeah I know that. I just feels weird if you have backed during the kickstarter. For example they'll probably have improved 300i's at the sale which kinda feels like the regular 300i gets devalued.

Zabojnik

Yeah I know that. I just feels weird if you have backed during the kickstarter. For example they'll probably have improved 300i's at the sale which kinda feels like the regular 300i gets devalued.

Improved as in differently skinned? Well, maybe. And I understand where you're coming from. But I still don't really get why people are so bothered with stuff like this. You back a game on KS (and elsewhere) because you 'desperately' want that game to become a reality. That's the goal all the backers are working towards. The only exclusive thing about buying a ship before launch is the LTI, which you have. So someone who backs SC in a few weeks will (maybe) get a 300i with a different skin. Eh, so what? If you don't want to upgrade your pledge and get that skin yourself, you'll get it by playing the game. It's really not that big of a deal, imo.

If they follow the Aurora sale model, the new 300i will have a different skin and cost 5$ more for existing owners. If you don't want to pay that, you can always upgrade to the newer 300i with ingame credits once the game launches. It'll probably be the cheapest upgrade you can buy and you'll only miss out on LTI for for missile pods or something.

I do get the gist of what you're saying with them asking for more money all the time but none of this is essential at all for your enjoyment of the game so I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Perkel

Banned
They claimed from the start that those 2 millions of original goal weren't going to be enough to fund the game, just a way to prove to private investors that there was a lot of interest around the product.

No it wasn't like that.

They run this kickstarter for money to create game. They also secured other investors money. With kickstarter money they could have their own stake in this program meaning profits wouldn't go only to investors. It was planned at 2mln point with up to 6 mln. with 2mln we would only see Squadron 48 campaign and other multiplayer part of the game would be created after they would release S48.

With 10mln they pretty much are secure in therms of their own share and i do not doubt investors probably payed even more money (since game has terrific reception) to fund their project.

As for final budget we don't know what is whole budget. We can't say it is 20-30 mln because we don't know. They could as well scale their investors money to have bigger stake in their own game. Having 10mln their own money and 5 mln of investor money would be much more profitable for them than 10mln vs 20mln of investor money.

Zabojnik

That's not how Chris Roberts is telling it and at this point there's no reason not to believe him. He stated several times that if they can get fully funded through crowdfunding, he'd rather not ask private investors (which he has had lined up from the start) for money. Which is why he's been keeping them at bay ever since the pledging campaign exploded. In the end they'll probably have to take some money from investors, but it will be substantially less than what Roberts was planning to ask for at the start of this whole thing.

In any case - things are certainly looking up for Star Citizen.

garath

I forget how much I already pledged but it was at least $45 which is more than I pay for any PC gaming these days. I don't see myself spending more money on the game until it's released. I don't like spending a ton of money on unreleased stuff. Once the game is out and the ships are compelling and interesting I could see myself spending more money on it.

Hell, I'm about $250 into League of Legends.

Top Bottom