• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Onemic

I still don't really get what this game is. Is it just a dog fighter? Is it more of a space sim like EVE online or X3? can you leave your ship? What are you limited to? How big is the game world?

Game seemed cool and Chris Taylors creative babies almost always end up great, so I dropped 40 on it.

Nickiepoo

I still don't really get what this game is. Is it just a dog fighter? Is it more of a space sim like EVE online or X3? can you leave your ship? What are you limited to? How big is the game world?

Game seemed cool and Chris Taylors creative babies almost always end up great, so I dropped 40 on it.

Erm....

zam

There is a single player story that is a dog fighting space sim like the Wing Commander games. Then there is also a multiplayer portion that is open world, do what you want kind of game. The multiplayer is still a dog fighting space sim, so it's more direct control than EVE. There also aren't any levels I believe. You "level up" by getting new ships, customising them with different engines, guns, add-ons, etc. It's all based on pilot skill and not what level your character is. Even having a bigger ship doesn't necessarily give you an advantage, since a smaller faster ship could outmaneuver a bigger, slower ship. The multiplayer world let's you do what you want, be a trader, smuggler, pirate, bounty hunter, mercenary, explorer (discover an entirely new system and you get to name it yourself, within reason).

You can leave your ship and go visit bars, trading outposts, pirate dens, etc.

The game world will have 100 star systems to explore at launch.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen-faq/

Repgnar

I've been checking out this game off and on for a little bit now. Friend told me today that he had bought one of the packages a while back so I've started to look into the game a bit more now. From what i've read I should try and pick a package before the 28th so I can get lifetime insurance on the ship right?

The 300i series looks nice. Does the limited time offer on the 350R mean you won't be able to purchase it after this week?

I've been checking out this game off and on for a little bit now. Friend told me today that he had bought one of the packages a while back so I've started to look into the game a bit more now. From what i've read I should try and pick a package before the 28th so I can get lifetime insurance on the ship right?

The 300i series looks nice. Does the limited time offer on the 350R mean you won't be able to purchase it after this week?

Yes, buying a package before the 28th of June will ensure that your current ship and any more you purchase before November 26th will have LTI.

I read on the Star Citizen forums that Chris Roberts said that they would offer one week grace period to buy any of the ships/packages/upgrades in this promotion (meaning it lasts till July 6th). Not 100% sure if that's true or false but you could look into it if you need to.

epmode

Very sneaky of them not to offer the 350r as a direct upgrade to 300i owners :p

When the new site goes live, you'll be able to convert your purchased ships into credit toward other ships/add-ons. You should be able to upgrade from a 300i to a 350r that way.

I read on the Star Citizen forums that Chris Roberts said that they would offer one week grace period to buy any of the ships/packages/upgrades in this promotion (meaning it lasts till July 6th). Not 100% sure if that's true or false but you could look into it if you need to.

It's true. It's in the promotion description.

Zabojnik

Jesus Christ, they're going all out with the ships. Amazing. And I'm taking a day off to follow the livestream. Game of the forever.

Zabojnik

From the Desk of Chairman Roberts

I think you can see why we’re so excited about the 300 Series. The brochure and commercial show exactly why Cloud Imperium puts so much effort into each ship. Months of work to produce a single vehicle may seem extreme, but the results speak for themselves: unparalleled detail that will get you into this game like nothing before.

As always, we are doing these promotions as way to bring new people into the community – the Aurora promotion managed to bring in three times the amount of people to the game that were previously joining and almost 70% of the dollars raised came from new backers which was great! If you are an existing backer please pledge because you want to support the game’s development and our quest to make this the first fully community funded AAA game and not because additional ships are necessary for the experience. You will be able to acquire all of these craft and upgrades in the finished game using in-game credits.

For people on the fence about jumping in and backing Star Citizen, this promotion and next week’s “grace” period (more below) will be your last chance to get Life Time Insurance (LTI) with your ship! Those who want to jump right in to Star Citizen’s roles will enjoy the 300i, which allows them to go farther, faster (and since it’s an ORIGIN design, you’ll do it in style!).

I would also like to provide some details about next week’s livestream and website launch. As you know, we will be switching to the entirely new Roberts Space Industries website on June 28th and are kicking off the long-overdue change with a celebratory livestream. The stream will be broadcast from both Cloud Imperium offices, in Los Angeles and Austin. Like the first livestream, there will be a “main” camera showing both conference rooms interacting plus other cameras located around the office.

The existing Roberts Space Industries website will go down at noon CST on Thursday, June 27th. A 24-hour downtime is necessary for porting over our existing database and making sure it slots into the new site correctly. The site will be replaced by a static site with information during that time, but you will not be able to log into your account or access the forums. At 11 AM CST on Friday, June 28th we will begin a live broadcast of Wingman’s Hangar that will culminate in the launch of the new site. After that, you’ll be able to explore the new page, choose or change your handle and assign your existing credits.

The new site will launch in several phases. Friday will be the base update that replaces the WordPress system currently used for RSI. You will have a genuine e-commerce platform that will allow you to modify your pledges and make many changes to your account that were previously impossible. All data from the current site will be ported over and you will be able to access any Comm-Links and Spectrum Dispatches with a much improved navigation system that includes the ability to actually search for tags! The live chat and forums will also be rebuilt, with existing posts ported to the new forums. There may be a temporary loss of some forum features (like private groups,) but these will be replaced with new game-derived grouping features in the near future. In the coming months, long-awaited additional features like the Galactapedia and the Holo-Viewer will also come online.

To avoid the confusion that came with the previous livestream and promotions, there will be a one-week grace period for all pledges. You will have until Saturday, July 6th to pick up packages with the old prices and features, including LTI through the new site, as well as limited ships and other things offered during the 300i and Livestream promotions. This is necessary to allow Kickstarter backers to attribute their pledge credits and to avoid some of the customer service confusion we have experienced in the past.

The whole team is very excited about the livestream. If you saw the initial stream in November, we’re aiming to have the same level of fun plus plenty more reveals. We have a lot of Star Citizen content to show off and a lot to talk about… and we’re eager to involve the many amazing fans we’ve gained in the past six months! So please, be sure to join us at this time next week. It’s going to be one hell of a show!

I sincerely hope you enjoy the 300i materials released today. Even if you choose not to add a 300 Series spacecraft to your hangar you should enjoy the new materials and have a good idea of just how detailed Star Citizen is going to be! I look forward to interacting with fans everywhere on the livestream—see you there!

Origin Jumpworks 300 Series commercial

Origin Jumpworks 300 Series brochure

300series01.png

300series02.png

300series03.png

300series04.png

300series05.png

So as far as I understand, I can dissolve my current 300i package a week after the website launch and use that + some extra dosh to get the 350r.

The reduction in cargo is fine I suppose, I can use the Aurora LX for mercantile and exploration.

However, the weaker cannon that comes with the 350r (with words like energy efficient), would I be correct to assume that I'll only be able to put weaker weapons in the other two class-hardpoints? I want to use the 350r as a dogfighter (bit of a explorer) I suppose, but I'm wondering if it'll only be "good" at small package-smuggling and racing (whatever thats gonna entail).

Do not feel like putting 100 for the 350r and another 15 for an upgrade to the 325a.

However, the weaker cannon that comes with the 350r (with words like energy efficient), would I be correct to assume that I'll only be able to put weaker weapons in the other two class-hardpoints? I want to use the 350r as a dogfighter (bit of a explorer) I suppose, but I'm wondering if it'll only be "good" at small package-smuggling and racing (whatever thats gonna entail).

It's a safe bet that the 350r will have weaker weapons. It seems to have a very specific purpose (of going fast) and gives up all combat and exploration utility for it. To me it sounds like you should go for the 325. It'll be combat focused and manage a little amount of exploration/cargo carrying without being specialized for these tasks.

Alternatively you could buy both the 315 and 325 upgrade packages and swap between loadouts in your hangar, giving you full combat, exploration and cargo carrying utility. You'd only give up the 350's speed but you'd get an otherwise fully rounded 300 series experience for 40$.

I'm not feeling the 300i and its variants, even though the 300i package is what I currently have. I was thinking about having a Constellation variant and a 300i variant before the game launches, but I'm thinking I'll just upgrade to the Constellation package and not bother with a 300i.

I'm more psyched about the video showing atmospheric flight than anything else.

Me too, although that might not reflect actual gameplay.

So as far as I understand, I can dissolve my current 300i package a week after the website launch and use that + some extra dosh to get the 350r.

The reduction in cargo is fine I suppose, I can use the Aurora LX for mercantile and exploration.

Do not feel like putting 100 for the 350r and another 15 for an upgrade to the 325a.

With the way upgrades have been discussed, you could probably buy a 350r and then use credits to buy a better powerplant so the ship could have enough energy for stronger weapons.

Keasar

Wish it was a Freelancer sale. Still, 300i looks lovely.

How was it again, original backers can up their pledges for the original pledge costs as before for a while longer? I am kinda close to upping mine from a Freelancer to a Constellation.

Echo Six

Neo Member
I'm kinda torn now after seeing the 300i video. Thinking about finally plunking down some money for the game, but I'm bummed that planets are just going to be restricted hubs. I want to be able to barnstorm through canyons on a distant world and dogfight in the upper atmosphere of gas giants. Oh well, maybe in SC2 haha.

Dead Man

I'm kinda torn now after seeing the 300i video. Thinking about finally plunking down some money for the game, but I'm bummed that planets are just going to be restricted hubs. I want to be able to barnstorm through canyons on a distant world and dogfight in the upper atmosphere of gas giants. Oh well, maybe in SC2 haha.

If you could do that, I think I would drop money on a 300, as it is I think I'm happy with my Aurora, exploring and freight runs seems like it will be more my style than combat and courier runs or races.

Well this game took me for another 170 lol

325a and 350r in my hanger now =)

o_O

Wish it was a Freelancer sale. Still, 300i looks lovely.

How was it again, original backers can up their pledges for the original pledge costs as before for a while longer? I am kinda close to upping mine from a Freelancer to a Constellation.

Until November. A Constellation sale like this one is coming up soon. They might end up doing one for the Freelancer.

Me too.

Lime

Sorry if this has already been answered, but how much freedom does the campaign offer in terms of pilot creation? Is there a default character or will you be able to customize skin color, origin, gender and stuff like that? The 300i trailer made me think of this aspect of the game.

Zabojnik

Sorry if this has already been answered, but how much freedom does the campaign offer in terms of pilot creation? Is there a default character or will you be able to customize skin color, origin, gender and stuff like that? The 300i trailer made me think of this aspect of the game.

You'll be able to customize all that from the get-go and I'm sure they'll keep adding different outfits, suits, hats, etc. in the months and years following the release. You'll be able to play the single player campaign (Squadron 42) as a male or a female, but I would imagine that you'll be limited to what the military gives you in terms of cloathing. Once you're done with that part of the game though ... You can go around wearing a Vanduul mask for all they care. :p

Mindlog

Unlike the Aurora, this time we’ve decided to make all the 300 variants shown in the brochure available for sale all at once!
You fuckers. So many ships. To splurge, or to earn in-game:that is the question.

The commercial is fantastic. This game started by scratching that itch and is moving into a full-on deep tissue massage.

calder

Omg, I was always interested in SC, but a freaking ad for a new ship has me frothing. That looks so, so sweet.

I love futuristic tech designs, especially ships like this. I randomly have an illustration from an artist named Tim Cameron saved on my desktop, his concept stuff is amazing.

tim_cameronzfpz5.jpg

Hackbert

you know that is not a serious suggestion XD. It runs CryEngine 3. So look into that, and you will be fine. Given that open space should be gentler on the Spec hunger.

My PC weeps, just thinking about star citizen.

phoenixyz

Anybody else also got their shirt? I must say that I was a little disappointed at the print quality. But at least I didn't have to pay extra customs.

Keasar

Just to see that I didn't misunderstand anything, all variants of these ships like the 325a and 350r will all be available in the game for in-game credits as usual? Maybe one ship here is exclusive with a skin, but not the specifications.

gamma

Just to see that I didn't misunderstand anything, all variants of these ships like the 325a and 350r will all be available in the game for in-game credits as usual? Maybe one ship here is exclusive with a skin, but not the specifications.

Correct.

Babalu.

i'm pretty sure everything thats been up so far will be purchasable ingame with ingame credits.

except maybe that pirate ship that was limited edition back at the start.

Grief.exe

SC's modding community is coming up with some interesting stuff as well.

attachment.php

Stribog_B_023_small.jpg

That wouldn't work, right?

I only see the thruster in back and possibly a thruster in front.

You need other thrusters all over the ship in order to adjust your vector.

And if it ever went in atmosphere it would drop like a rock because of its lack of wings.

phoenixyz

i'm pretty sure everything thats been up so far will be purchasable ingame with ingame credits.except maybe that pirate ship that was limited edition back at the start.
In the GameStar Interview with Chris Roberts from E3 he said that everything (including cosmetic items) will only be purchaseable with ingame credits. He explicitly mentioned that there is not supposed to be a second real-money-currency. And (purposedly somewhat like Eve) you will only be able to purchase a limited amount of credits with real money. That's of course still "subject to change". But it's the plan currently.

Keasar

Good to hear. Except that cash exchange thing, would prefer if they didn't.

Also, decided to watch Firefly (again of again) and I came upon myself hoping that there will be perhaps some not so pristine ships to fly too, like the Serenity
(no offense meant to one of the most gorgeous ships ever made)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm in with the 350R promotion. Same user name, Raticus79.

"Mash up of Freelancer, Privateer and Wing Commander"

I grew up on those things!

"Will it support Oculus Rift? Yes."

I will also acquire this thing!

Top Bottom