• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Mindlog

That's a really pretty ship.

Right now I figure Aurora is my light mercantile.
Hornet will be my fighter.
M50 will be my racer.
Retaliator might end up in my hanger because past experience always has a bomber shortage.
A capital ship.

That's a decent fleet while still having stuff to earn in-game.

on PS4, make it happend

It's not going to happen. A big part of the funding drive for this game revolved around the fact that it was all about PC gamers, and no doubt many of those people would see it as a betrayal if that were to change. From a technical point of view given that this is running on CryEngine I'm assuming that a next-gen console port wouldn't be too difficult, but again it comes back to the fact that this was crowd funded under a very different pretext.

As someone who played and loved all of the Wing Commander games, Starlancer, etc. but doesn't have a gaming PC and can't really justify it just for this game, I feel your pain.

Zabojnik

i'm pretty sure everything thats been up so far will be purchasable ingame with ingame credits.

except maybe that pirate ship that was limited edition back at the start.

You'll be able to capture & board the Vanduul fighter in the game, so even that's not really exclusive. Which is great.

Good to hear. Except that cash exchange thing, would prefer if they didn't.

People have to realize that you cannot have it both ways. Either there's a monthly subscription to pay, which I would personally prefer but it's apparently a big no-no with a whole fucking lot of people, or you come up with something like the cash exchange thing. A MMO game like this needs a constant influx of money, one way or another. As long as there's a limit and you can still buy everything with in-game currency, that's fine.

My regular old 300i is feeling depressed after seeing this.

Melt it down once the new website goes live, add some more money and get a shiny new 350r. :p

It's not going to happen. A big part of the funding drive for this game revolved around the fact that it was all about PC gamers, and no doubt many of those people would see it as a betrayal if that were to change. From a technical point of view given that this is running on CryEngine I'm assuming that a next-gen console port wouldn't be too difficult, but again it comes back to the fact that this was crowd funded under a very different pretext.

As someone who played and loved all of the Wing Commander games, Starlancer, etc. but doesn't have a gaming PC and can't really justify it just for this game, I feel your pain.

Yeah, I don't see this being ported to next-gen consoles. Or maybe they could port only the single player part, Squadron 42. If nothing else, it would be a great way to promote SC as a whole. Some console-only people might even get tempted to buy a decent gaming PC. :D

Dead Man

People would be stupid if they got angry about that, but then again, people are stupid.

gamma

People would be stupid if they got angry about that, but then again, people are stupid.

Why would they be stupid? As of now they've spent more than 10 million on this game, the devs are supposed to use the money and their time on the PC version.

gamma

So after the full game is released, and everybody has everything they paid for, you think people should feel betrayed if they then worked on a console port?

What people paid for is a PC game that is supposed to get support and new content for years after release. So yes.

If people felt betrayed by a later console port? Yeah, they would be stupid.
People get angry about perceived 'betrayals' all the time (e.g. FF13) and that's when they don't have any real financial investment in the title. In the case of SC people have put up their own money so that the game can be made, and they've done so on the back of certain assurances from Chris and co. Those early trailers pushed the whole "I'm a PC game" thing very strongly.

As a console gamer these days I'm bummed that I won't get to play SC but can appreciate why that will be the case. If they hadn't pushed the whole "PC game" aspect from the start then maybe we would have ended up with a console port eventually... or maybe the game would never have been fully funded. Who knows?

Maybe consoles will one day see Star Citizen 2, or Star Citizen: Spin Off Subtitle, or I did like Zabojnik's suggestion of Squadron 42 going to consoles :)

Dead Man

What people paid for is a PC game that is supposed to get support and new content for years after release. So yes.
If it made no noticable impact, if they used profits from teh sale of the game to finance a future project, you would be angered? The can never use the proceeds from teh sales of the game for anything else?
People get angry about perceived 'betrayals' all the time (e.g. FF13) and that's when they don't have any real financial investment in the title. In the case of SC people have put up their own money so that the game can be made, and they've done so on the back of certain assurances from Chris and co. Those early trailers pushed the whole "I'm a PC game" thing very strongly.

As a console gamer these days I'm bummed that I won't get to play SC but can appreciate why that will be the case. If they hadn't pushed the whole "PC game" aspect from the start then maybe we would have ended up with a console port eventually... or maybe the game would never have been fully funded. Who knows?

Maybe consoles will one day see Star Citizen 2, or Star Citizen: Spin Off Subtitle, or I did like Zabojnik's suggestion of Squadron 42 going to consoles :)

I don't think it will happen, but I also don't think people have any right top be angry if it did. They pledged for a game, they got the game, what the company does with proceeds from sales of the eventual game is up to them. If they used KS funds, or started work before the PC game was finished, I could understand.

gamma

If it made no noticable impact, if they used profits from teh sale of the game to finance a future project, you would be angered? The can never use the proceeds from teh sales of the game for anything else?

I don't think it will happen, but I also don't think people have any right top be angry if it did. They pledged for a game, they got the game, what the company does with proceeds from sales of the eventual game is up to them. If they used KS funds, or started work before the PC game was finished, I could understand.

Of course they can do whatever they want with a future project. But as this game will probably be released at the end of 2014/early 2015 and will get new content and support for some time after that, that's not really what we were talking about.

Dead Man

Of course they can do whatever they want with a future project. But as this game will probably be released at the end of 2014/early 2015 and will get new content and support for some time after that, that's not really what we were talking about.

Okay. It was what I was talking about, but I guess if you want to ignore that, feel free.

Minsc

Gold Member
I do believe the most official stance on the matter is they are open to bringing Star Citizen to next gen consoles.

“The good news is that it’s essentially a PC, so that means PC owners will get much better ports of console games,” he said. “I’m not a PC elitist by any means; if I could be on the PS4, and they were open, and I could do the updating and all the sort of stuff we’re trying to do on Star Citizen, then I would definitely consider putting it on PS4, because it’s essentially a PC with a friendlier operating system.”

So before writing stuff off, remember Diablo 3 is releasing on consoles, so I don't see why Star Citizen can't, especially since it will bring in more money being able to target a larger userbase.

Dead Man

Ignore what, am I supposed to read your mind?

Can you follow a simple conversation? You said it wasn't what you were talking about, I said it was what I was talking about. If you don't know what it is that you are ignoring, you don't even know what your point is any more, other than being outraged at the idea that a game might one day get a port.

I do believe the most official stance on the matter is they are open to bringing Star Citizen to next gen consoles.

So before writing stuff off, remember Diablo 3 is releasing on consoles, so I don't see why Star Citizen can't, especially since it will bring in more money being able to target a larger userbase.

Interesting.

gamma

Can you follow a simple conversation? You said it wasn't what you were talking about, I said it was what I was talking about. If you don't know what it is that you are ignoring, you don't even know what your point is any more, other than being outraged at the idea that a game might one day get a port.

Yes, but what I can't follow is your simple mind. You asked if they could use the revenue from the game on future projects. I replied that they can. What exactly have I ignored?

Dead Man

Yes, but what I can't follow is your simple mind. You asked if they could use the revenue from the game on future projects. I replied that they can. What exactly have I ignored?

LOL, you agree that they can do what they want with future income, and agreed that is what I said, but somehow that is not what was being talked about? Carry on mate.

gamma

LOL, you agree that they can do what they want with future income, and agreed that is what I said, but somehow that is not what was being talked about? Carry on mate.

Yes, there is difference between 'later console port' and projects a few years into the future after the game is released. What the other posters and I were talking about was a console port close to the release of the PC version. Too simple for you?

Dead Man

Yes, there is difference between 'later console port' and projects a few years into the future after the game is released. Too simple for you?

When is a few years after release, if not later? Is there a specific time at which it beomces 'not later'?

Don't try so hard to be clever, it doesn't suit you.

gamma

When is a few years after release, if not later? Is there a specific time at which it beomces 'not later'?

That's the point. It's not very specific. I argued that we weren't talking about a port years after release. You said that that was what you were talking about but at the same time accused me of ignoring it. Since I can't ignore something you just specified I asked what it was I was ignoring which is how this whole nonsense started.

Dead Man

That's the point. It's not very specific. I argued that we weren't talking about a port years after release. You said that that was what you were talking about but at the same time accused me of ignoring it. Since I can't ignore something you just specified I asked what it was I was ignoring which is how this whole nonsense started.

LOL, the nonsense started with you saying people would be justified being pissed off if there was a port.

Can we not just look forward to the game without getting our knickers in a knot over the fact that there may be a port down the line?

Zabojnik

Guys, play nice, please.

They're sending beta testing invites for the new site?? I don't remember them mentioning this!

I remember them mentioning it somewhere, but I forgot where.

"In order to ease the inevitable load on the new site, we will spread out access to register for the new site during its testing phase. What we plan to do is send out email invites to the community in daily batches that are based on your original sign-up date and modified by your pledge level as well as your subscriber status. Roughly, the idea is that the first 3,000 people having signed up back in September AND are backers would be the first batch invited to test the new site. The second 3,000 the next day and so on. Having a higher pledge level or being a subscriber will move you up in priority. For example, if you’re a Vice Admiral, you would get bumped up two slots (think of the level as a + modifier). Being a Centurion subscriber is also a +1 modifier, an Imperator a +2 modifier."

I signed up during the initial campaign and I'm a subscriber. It seems they've been sending out invites for a couple of days. It's not really that big of a deal, you'll see it in a couple of days anyways.

Minsc, would you kindly fix the thread title? STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [Over, ~$11M Funded]

It's virtually guaranteed that they'll hit 11M$ in the next few days. Probably quite a bit more, actually, if there'll be other surprises during the livestream event.

EDIT: Thanks!

Okay so... I'm debating on getting the Digital Colonel or the Rear Admiral for the Constellation. But I'm a bit confused...you guys are talking about buying ships already, how do you do that? Is it only after you've invested in a package?

Edit: In the FAQ regarding Lifetime Insurance it says the following:

"Anyone who pledged for a copy of Star Citizen before November 26, 2012 automatically has lifetime insurance on their pledge ships; this protects the investment you made in the game in perpetuity. Anyone who pledged for a copy on or after November 26th starts with a finite insurance package for their ship. This can be anywhere from 2 months to 12 months depending on the ship and policy type. Lifetime insurance does not exist for modifications or cargo."

But under the package pledges it says that if purchased before June 28th you get Lifetime Insurance?

KKRT00

I signed up during the initial campaign and I'm a subscriber. It seems they've been sending out invites for a couple of days. It's not really that big of a deal, you'll see it in a couple of days anyways.

I've signed and pledged the first day of the campaign, but i'm not really interested in getting to new website as fast as I can :) All i want is alpha, beta and final release, but mostly just final MMO release :)

Edit: In the FAQ regarding Lifetime Insurance it says the following:

"Anyone who pledged for a copy of Star Citizen before November 26, 2012 automatically has lifetime insurance on their pledge ships; this protects the investment you made in the game in perpetuity. Anyone who pledged for a copy on or after November 26th starts with a finite insurance package for their ship. This can be anywhere from 2 months to 12 months depending on the ship and policy type. Lifetime insurance does not exist for modifications or cargo."

But under the package pledges it says that if purchased before June 28th you get Lifetime Insurance?

The FAQ is out of date. The 9 million dollar stretch goal for the project was that everyone who backed before the new site went live would get LTI. That site is going live on the 28th but they are offering one week grace period after that too.

Bottom line - you will get LTI if you back before July 6th.

The FAQ is out of date. The 9 million dollar stretch goal for the project was that everyone who backed before the new site went live would get LTI. That site is going live on the 28th but they are offering one week grace period after that too.

Thanks for that. Also one more quick question; Are these "pledge" ships only offered through these specific packages? For example, could I pledge for the 'Digital Colonel' for $125 which gets me the Hornet, then use cash/credits/whatever to get the Constellation that ends up in total cheaper than the cost of the 'Rear Admiral' package for $275 which gives me the Constellation? I only ask because the only reason I'm interested in the Rear Admiral package is for that ship, the other bonus stuff doesn't really concern me.

Is the Lifetime Insurance applicable to other ships purchased in this time period, or only the pledge ship included in whichever package you buy?

injurai

Banned
The FAQ is out of date (as is the part where it says 28th June). The 9 million dollar stretch goal for the project was that everyone who backed before the new site went live would get LTI. That site is going live on the 28th but they are offering one week grace period after that too.

i'm tempted to pledge, what exactly is LTI though. Can you ships be permanently destroyed and this is a measure to protect your investments in these pledge prizes?

Grief.exe

i'm tempted to pledge, what exactly is LTI though. Can you ships be permanently destroyed and this is a measure to protect your investments in these pledge prizes?

I don't think they can be permanently destroyed, but if they are destroyed it will cost you a significant amount of in-game cash to replace.

If you have insurance, it gets replaced for free. Kind of an incentive for early adopters.

phoenixyz

Afaik it's the same as in Eve. When your ship is destroyed while not insured it's gone for good.

Grief.exe

Phoenix is right, from the Insurance FAQ

What happens if I don’t have insurance?
Your character will have to buy a new ship with any credits he has, or if he doesn’t have enough credits fly missions for a third party (both NPC and player) until he’s earned enough to buy his own ship again.

Looks like you can purchase Insurance in game

What is insurance?
Pilots in Star Citizen can purchase insurance policies for their ships, modifications and cargo. This ensures that your ship will be replaced and/or its modifications and cargo will be subsidized should you be destroyed in a fight or accident. As in real life, insurance policies must be maintained: you must pay a regular fee in galactic credits (the in-game currency) or your policy will lapse and you will not receive a payout or a ship replacement when your ship is destroyed.

Will this Insurance cost a lot?
Like in real-life insurance should be a relatively small part of your regular in game expenses which will also include paying landing fees, trade tariffs (if in a system with lots of infrastructure and law and order), fuel (if you don’t collect it yourself from a gas giant), buying cargo to trade, hiring help, making upgrades to your ship or even buying a whole new ship.

Some of the additional policies like upgrade or cargo insurance will be rated based on risk levels. Risk level 1 being the safest systems and risk level 5 being the most dangerous system that is insurable for cargo or upgrades. Any risk level over 5 is un-insurable. A risk 3 policy for cargo will cover you for all cargo losses in a risk 3 system or below. The higher the risk level of the policy the more it will cost. As with the base insurance this will not be crippling financially but instead be a reasonable running cost that relates to the risk / reward profile of the systems flown.

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen-faq/

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't think they can be permanently destroyed, but if they are destroyed it will cost you a significant amount of in-game cash to replace.

If you have insurance, it gets replaced for free. Kind of an incentive for early adopters.

Is it free? I think the insurance is just a big buffer. You still have to pay a little, isn't that why they have the different class systems to correspond to insurance? Certain systems completely void your insurance, and others carry riskier ratings that induce heavier fees for claiming it?

Edit: Yeah, it's there right above me now, they do make some distinction by grade levels, but sounds more like all-or-nothing. So even with insurance you may very well not be able to use it to claim a new ship.

Grief.exe

Is it free? I think the insurance is just a big buffer. You still have to pay a little, isn't that why they have the different class systems to correspond to insurance? Certain systems completely void your insurance, and others carry riskier ratings that induce heavier fees for claiming it?

Edit: Yeah, it's there right above me now, they do make some distinction by grade levels, but sounds more like all-or-nothing. So even with insurance you may very well not be able to use it to claim a new ship.

If you are in a Risk 4 area with Risk 3 insurance.

Poof.

injurai

Banned
It's per ship too right? So LTI is like max insurance solely for the rewarded ships from pledging. Am I correct in understanding that?

Minsc

Gold Member
It's per ship too right? So LTI is like max insurance solely for the rewarded ships from pledging. Am I correct in understanding that?

Yes, if you have 10 active ships, you need 10 insurance policies, and each one will have a monthly premium if you don't have LTI for them.

If you retire a ship to your space hanger for show only, you probably can drop the insurance.

Zabojnik

Thanks for that. Also one more quick question; Are these "pledge" ships only offered through these specific packages? For example, could I pledge for the 'Digital Colonel' for $125 which gets me the Hornet, then use cash/credits/whatever to get the Constellation that ends up in total cheaper than the cost of the 'Rear Admiral' package for $275 which gives me the Constellation? I only ask because the only reason I'm interested in the Rear Admiral package is for that ship, the other bonus stuff doesn't really concern me.

Yes, you could do that. You can buy ships separately as add-ons. You could even melt down the Hornet for credits, add the difference and buy the Constellation, if you wanted.

Is the Lifetime Insurance applicable to other ships purchased in this time period, or only the pledge ship included in whichever package you buy?

All ships, be it the ones included in the package or those purchased separately, have LTI included.

Yes, you could do that. You can buy ships separately as add-ons. You could even melt down the Hornet for credits, add the difference and buy the Constellation, if you wanted.

All ships, be it the ones included in the package or those purchased separately, have LTI included.

Thanks, I'm assuming that the LTI is only included in ships bought by July 6th? And does anyone know how much cash a Constellation costs? I'm trying to decide between buying the Constellation Package (Rear Admiral - $275) or the Hornet Package (Digital Colonel - $125) along with a separate Constellation ship ($???).

If it's a cheaper bundle to get them both separate I'll go for that.

Zabojnik

Thanks, I'm assuming that the LTI is only included in ships bought by July 6th? And does anyone know how much cash a Constellation costs? I'm trying to decide between buying the Constellation Package (Rear Admiral - $275) or the Hornet Package (Digital Colonel - $125) along with a separate Constellation ship ($???).

If it's a cheaper bundle to get them both separate I'll go for that.

Yes, LTI is for all ships bought by July 6th. I think people are making a bigger deal out of insurance than it really is, but whatever.

If you want the Constellation above all other ships (along with included goodies), get the Rear Admiral package for $275. Buying the Hornet package and a Constellation separately will set you back $350. Here's the full price list for the digital add-ons:

You Got Our Backs (Electro Hull Skin): $5
Exploration Skin: $5
Military Skin: $5
Blackbeard Stealth Skin: $5
False Colors Skin: $5
Aurora (add-on ship): $25
300i (add-on ship): $55
Cutlass Package (add-on ship): $100
Hornet (add-on ship): $110
Freelancer (add-on ship): $110
Constellation (add-on ship): $225
Star Map : $5
Full Star Citizen Soundtrack : $10
42 page book “Squadron 42 Manual” : $10
42 page book “The Making of Star Citizen” : $10
42 page book “Engineering Manual for Modders” : $10
Star Citizen Novella written by Dave Haddock : $15
Pathfinder Package: $75
Arbiter Package: $80
Lightspeed Package: $120
ORIGIN 315p Add-On Ship: $65
ORIGIN 325a Add-On Ship: $70
ORIGIN 350r Add-On Ship: $100
ORIGIN 315p Upgrade: $10
ORIGIN 325a Upgrade: $15

injurai

Banned
are those ships exclusive for those who pledge or is it just a particular variation + LTI?

Because not only is that a lot of money, but the game would be more meaningful if you worked up to these ships yourself.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I got the 350R with the lightspeed package. It says that one is "limited edition".

I think it could be good for skirmishing. A pack of those to run down anything with a good rotation of the front lines for shields, backing up some heavy hitters... it could be quite a thing. Lifetime insurance on that will be handy since smaller ships should die more frequently if they catch a missile, for example.

Plus, you know, R for Rat.

Zabojnik

are those ships exclusive for those who pledge or is it just a particular variation + LTI?

Because not only is that a lot of money, but the game would be more meaningful if you worked up to these ships yourself.

The only exclusive thing about these ships is the LTI. The ships themselves, upgrades, skins ... all can be bought with in-game credits. I'm with you about getting the ships through playing. At the same time I'm happy to see people help finance the game. And, well, not everybody has 20+ hours a week to dedicate to a game like this.

Top Bottom