• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

LTI is only on damage, not theft, right? And does it also apply to the "high-risk" systems i read about? Those that you can't even insure through ingame-currency? If i read it right insurance cost increases with risk level and after level x (5?) you can't even insure it anymore?

LTI works for both damage and theft AFAIK. It only covers the hull though... you will lose any upgrades and cargo if you're not insured.

The tiered insurance system you mention works for cargo and ship modifications. The premium increases as the risk increases and after a point you cannot be insured anymore. If you are running lower tier insurance in a higher tier risk zone and you lose your shit, it's gone.

This is my understanding of the LTI situation anyway.

LTI is only on damage, not theft, right? And does it also apply to the "high-risk" systems i read about? Those that you can't even insure through ingame-currency? If i read it right insurance cost increases with risk level and after level x (5?) you can't even insure it anymore?

They've said it does count with theft--when you've lost yours, you put in a claim for a new one. When it is issued, the stolen ship's unique id will be flagged as illegal (either putting a bounty on it or just meaning it can't be flown in UEE space or something unless the thief can get the id code changed.)

Haven't heard how it will factor in with security-risk systems.

edit: oh, yeah, as spindoctor mentioned--the base hull (and whatever starting modules your pledge came with) will be insured. Anything you add will need to be insured separately.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
LTI works for both damage and theft AFAIK. It only covers the hull though... you will lose any upgrades and cargo if you're not insured.

The tiered insurance system you mention works for cargo and ship modifications. The premium increases as the risk increases and after a point you cannot be insured anymore. If you are running lower tier insurance in a higher tier risk zone and you lose your shit, it's gone.

This is my understanding of the LTI situation anyway.

Ah okay, that makes a ton of sense. Interesting. I hope LTI hull insurance applies to high-risk sectors too, even if I'd lose my cargo/add-ons, I'd hate to lose the entire ship...

All the details and animations on these ships are just ridiculous. It's like everything I could have ever dreamt of for a game like this, in terms of visual interaction and immersion with world.

The new site is really nice, even the 404 page looks cool!

I've got to check in on the site more often, didn't realize I had missed so many updates in the past couple of months.

d0g_bear

I have to say, I don't love those avenger concept art renders, but maybe they'll look better in-engine.

Also, this is one of the best official game websites I've ever used.

Francois424

Neo Member
I have to say, I don't love those avenger concept art renders, but maybe they'll look better in-engine.

The game's creator, Chris Roberts, has a thing about "not sucking" and it's really starting to show. So far I dont regret pledging money to the cause at all.

Grief.exe

They should really have someone playing the game on one of their channels.

I suppose its still too early to show that kind of thing properly.

I am pledging very soon. I've been justifying putting it off since this funding began because I could not afford it, but I just can't put it off any longer.

Zabojnik

Judging from that first reveal video a lot of features will be added, like the 3D viewer for the ships, etc. Looking good.

epmode

They haven't shown pictures yet, right? There's only a question mark on the website...

I've heard that leaked pictures exist but I haven't found them. The notion of a REALLY FAST Origin ship might be enough for me to pledge sight unseen. Worst case scenario, the ship can be melted down on the website for store credit.

Zabojnik

can someone post screens of the Banu?

The design is very much still work in progress. Managed to capture this.

sc5.png

injurai

Banned
I like it, but why does every alien species have to have these chiseled boney structures? Why can't they just have sort of smooth skin... they should focus on creating interesting and unique skeletal structures not just reptilian humanoids.

Zabojnik

I like it, but why does every alien species have to have these chiseled boney structures? Why can't they just have sort of smooth skin... they should focus on creating interesting and unique skeletal structures not just reptilian humanoids.

They have to think about the future Star Citizen movie. They'll save a lot on CG by going with the Star Trek style aliens. :p

injurai

Banned
okay but I want to still see some smooth skins. Or something with fur. Why can't we get bipedal platypus aliens or Bison or something. It's always reptiles.

vazel

Banned
What was it they were talking about the ships getting yearly updates like cars? They spend so much time talking nonsense that I space out and then when a nice tidbit of info comes up I miss it...

injurai

Banned
What was it they were talking about the ships getting yearly updates like cars? They spend so much time talking nonsense that I space out and then when a nice tidbit of info comes up I miss it...

Seems a bit cost excessive. I'd rather brand new ships instead of Avenger model 2014 leasing at $15,000 a month.

They've touched on it before but never gone into detail. Ships will eventually be phased out of production as newer ships are introduced, making older models possible collectibles. Newer ships may have some design differences like different hardpoint configurations or upgrade numbers, but shouldn't be hugely superior to older versions to make them obsolete.

vazel

Banned
Really happy to hear Weisman is still talking to Microsoft over Crimson Skies. Considering that they were able to work out deals for Mechwarrior and Shadowrun this is good news. He also said it was one of his top three fave universes.

Rommel

So... I've now hit the stage where I have concierge service.

added..

M50
Gladiator
Starfarer
Retaliator
Avenger

I'm putting my card on lockdown...

Dead Man

Damn, new site is slick. Well designed, lots of info that is easy to find now, responsive. Very nice.

So... I've now hit the stage where I have concierge service.

added..

M50
Gladiator
Starfarer
Retaliator
Avenger

I'm putting my card on lockdown...

Jesus, very jealous. Don't have the bones for those, tossing up an avenger or 300 though.

Edit: After all that praise for the website, is there no comparison tool to compare pledges? I have too many options!

A second version of the corvette is going up for sale..now. Limited numbers, $1250.

edit: all 140 sold out in 10 minutes.

second edit: some of the checkouts didn't go through, so there's a handful still available

Dead Man

So the ships described as carrier borne, are they jump capable?

A second version of the corvette is going up for sale..now. Limited numbers, $1250.

edit: all 140 sold out in 10 minutes.

second edit: some of the checkouts didn't go through, so there's a handful still available

Damn, LOL

They've said there'll be more. Not sure how many, but that there'd be options for what you can store in the Constellation at least.

Ugh. This game. I keep forcing myself to try to forget about it, it being 2 years away and all, but damn. Too obsessed.

Dead Man

They've said there'll be more. Not sure how many, but that there'd be options for what you can store in the Constellation at least.

Ugh. This game. I keep forcing myself to try to forget about it, it being 2 years away and all, but damn. Too obsessed.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I want some of the ships, but I'm waiting to see what they look like, I think I have succumbed to the 300i though. I'll still wait a few more days, but I have basically admitted to myself I'll be buying it.

Zabojnik

Took a 5 hour sleep break, missed a lot of awesome stuff. Thankfully it's on the site already.

Damn, those Corvettes went like hot cakes. SC's community is insane. :D

zam

Already got the Constellation and the Aurora (with the LX upgrade) and a bunch of skins. May get a Hornet when it goes on sale, or a 300i... or a Freelancer.. Fuck, I need to just hold off until the game comes out and just work my way towards other ships in-game, but on the other hand I really want to give Chris all my money.

Hackbert

wow, great site redesign, too bad i have to work the whole day -.- will miss the stream. keep capturing the info bits.

on another note.. Just imagine the impossible, and think they don't deliver.. their base of fans will run amok....so much money spent

Smiley90

So wait, my original backer package (Digital Scout) doesn't contain alpha&beta access? I'd have to... sign up for the "new" digital scout to get beta and alpha access added? that's odd.

Dead Man

So wait, my original backer package (Digital Scout) doesn't contain alpha&beta access? I'd have to... sign up for the "new" digital scout to get beta and alpha access added? that's odd.

That is odd. You can reclaim your pledge though, maybe you can just swap it over?

Smiley90

That is odd. You can reclaim your pledge though, maybe you can just swap it over?

So weird. I logged out to check.

The original kickstarter pledge was for digital scout, 30 dollars. (including LTI)

Logged in, I see the digital scout (including LTI and alpha&beta access) priced at 35 dollars.

I log out to compare, and I see that for non-original backers, the alpha/beta access digital scout isn't even available, they can only select the 30 dollar digital scout.

So... Basically "Hey you're an early backer, so you have the option to add alpha&beta access for 5 dollars to your pledge"?

Their other non-original backer packages do contain alpha&beta access though, albeit they're slightly more pricey. (e.g. Digital Colonel for me is 110 (so... the price of the Hornet itself, that's included in Digital Colonel anyway), while logged out it shows up at 125)

Top Bottom