• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Mindlog

I heard Connie quoted at 60 hours, but it is a later game ship. Going by Freelancer standards there will be plenty of options in-between.
Ok so I'm pretty interested in this game but I have a couple of questions you guys can hopefully answer. All I really see in the thread and at the official websites are posts about buying ships and how much money (some ridiculous amounts for a ship in a game) they cost. If I were to buy the basic 30 dollar package would I be locked out of earning those other ships? The website doesn't do a very good job of explaining how it works, unless I"m just missing it. It kind of seems like to me that unless you want to pay a large chunk of money you will get locked out of a lot of content. I'd love to be wrong about this though.
The best starter option is an original backer Digital Scout. That costs $35, but comes with Alpha/Beta and LTI. What you would do is buy the Digital Scout and a skin (totaling $35) and gift it to one of us. We will gift you a Scout package with Alpha, Beta and LTI in return.
Jcz5hQg.png

Also keep in mind there are really two games here. Squadron 42 is a single player space combat game (included.) Star Citizen is the multiplayer open-world Universe with mods and private servers if we so choose.

Agreed that the 'Discount Hangar' name is kind of dumb, but I'm not worked up about it. Wouldn't mind seeing them change it to Standard, Contract, Privateer Hangar or something like that. Then Again I have no hangar at the moment. Going to melt my Cutlass for a Freelancer package soon. This would be the perfect time for me to gift packages to anyone that needs it. 39k Alpha slots left and I suspect Gamescom will create a run on that final allotment.

garath

What level gets the hanger? I have a 325i I think. Its been awhile since I looked. The wait for this game is hard enough

Daedardus

What level gets the hanger? I have a 325i I think. Its been awhile since I looked. The wait for this game is hard enough

Every ship should get a hangar at some point. Just not all ships have been finalised yet so they aren't eligible for the hangar release coming at the end of the month. The 325a will net you a pretty 'Discount Hangar'. Yup, you paid that much dollars for a Discount Hangar :p

JambiBum

I heard Connie quoted at 60 hours, but it is a later game ship. Going by Freelancer standards there will be plenty of options in-between.

The best starter option is an original backer Digital Scout. That costs $35, but comes with Alpha/Beta and LTI. What you would do is buy the Digital Scout and a skin (totaling $35) and gift it to one of us. We will gift you a Scout package with Alpha, Beta and LTI in return.

Also keep in mind there are really two games here. Squadron 42 is a single player space combat game (included.) Star Citizen is the multiplayer open-world Universe with mods and private servers if we so choose.

Agreed that the 'Discount Hangar' name is kind of dumb, but I'm not worked up about it. Wouldn't mind seeing them change it to Standard, Contract, Privateer Hangar or something like that. Then Again I have no hangar at the moment. Going to melt my Cutlass for a Freelancer package soon. This would be the perfect time for me to gift packages to anyone that needs it. 39k Alpha slots left and I suspect Gamescom will create a run on that final allotment.

I know that there are two games and everything. The initial price point doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's seeing that they have a 300 dollar package that does. Kinda like the whole Marvel Heroes thing. You could spend 200 to get everything or 20 to get one and hope that you got the rest out of luck. As long as you can actually earn everything through in game functions and it doesn't take something like 200 hours then I'm fine with the way it is set up.

I know that there are two games and everything. The initial price point doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's seeing that they have a 300 dollar package that does. Kinda like the whole Marvel Heroes thing. You could spend 200 to get everything or 20 to get one and hope that you got the rest out of luck. As long as you can actually earn everything through in game functions and it doesn't take something like 200 hours then I'm fine with the way it is set up.

It won't be luck based like Marvel Heroes so at least there's that. You have a starter ship and you can plan your progression as you play. And starter ships will be able to perform any role short of absurd things like taking on a capital ship in combat.

MrBig

Yeah ships are roll based, there is no progression mechanic, levels, etc. You can do work in whatever fashion in order to buy a ship to accomplish whatever it is you want to do.

Mindlog

I have heard crazy things about Marvel Heroes. SC has to walk a fine line. They're always stating that it's not p2w, but they've placed themselves in a lot of tight spots. They plan on selling in-game currency for real money with limits placed on how much you can buy. Certain players will no doubt be using multiple accounts to get around that.

It may likely take more than 200 hours for unguilded players to earn everything. There will be a few very rare expensive ships. They've also stated that they hope to introduce incremental upgrades to ships on a yearly(?) basis. Sort of like cars.

As always though private hosted servers are our ace in the hole. I imagine there will be servers with 50 Bengal Carriers slugging it out for no reason. Should be fun.

I'm still fairly certain I would abandon the SC-PU entirely if Allegiance received a port to this new engine.

Dead Man

I have heard crazy things about Marvel Heroes. SC has to walk a fine line. They're always stating that it's not p2w, but they've placed themselves in a lot of tight spots. They plan on selling in-game currency for real money with limits placed on how much you can buy. Certain players will no doubt be using multiple accounts to get around that.

It may likely take more than 200 hours for unguilded players to earn everything. There will be a few very rare expensive ships. They've also stated that they hope to introduce incremental upgrades to ships on a yearly(?) basis. Sort of like cars.

As always though private hosted servers are our ace in the hole. I imagine there will be servers with 50 Bengal Carriers slugging it out for no reason. Should be fun.

I'm still fairly certain I would abandon the SC-PU entirely if Allegiance received a port to this new engine.

Depending on how they do the set up, I'm expecting to spend most of my time on private servers.

MrBig

New interview with some projections for new releases, via r/starcitizen

25:30 - Hornet next commercial right before Gamescon (24 Aug)

25:50 - Another commercial 10 Oct before Citizen Con (If the below is Connie, then will be Freelancer)

25:55 - Week after Gamescon there's another commercial (putting money on it being Connie)

28:25 - Hornet commercial will include variants (not sure if 3)

29:00 - Hangar invites. Sandi wasn't certain, but Chris has said previously would be in 2nd release. Releases are scheduled roughly 9 weeks apart.

--

24 Aug - Hornet Sale
31 Aug/1 Sept - Freelancer Sale
10 Oct - Connie Sale

I'll do some more cleanup on the alpha ot sometime today and post it either tonight or tomorrow btw
t1377363600z4.png

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the M50 will be available for sale again? Gotta go fast.

They've shown almost nothing about the M50 and a bunch of other ships. They will almost certainly be on sale again at some point when the models/variants are ready and details have been finalized.

DrBo42

Got the bounty hunter or whatever version that's called today. Really wanted to get that Rear Admiral ship but fuck that's a lot of cash. Can we buy all the ships with in-game cash when it goes live?

MrBig

Got the bounty hunter or whatever version that's called today. Really wanted to get that Rear Admiral ship but fuck that's a lot of cash. Can we buy all the ships with in-game cash when it goes live?

Yes of course, the packages are mainly for funding SC, not acquiring ships. Acquiring the ships you want to fulfill the rolls you want to experience is part of the journey.

DrBo42

Yes of course, the packages are mainly for funding SC, not acquiring ships. Acquiring the ships you want to fulfill the rolls you want to experience is part of the journey.

Thanks. Nothing can be assumed in this time of micro-transactions and pay to win.

Francois424

Neo Member

Don't qoute me on this, but I think you can upgrade your package to a higher value one at anytime... Unless that was only available to early backers ?
Anyways, if so, just upgrade when you have the ca$h and want to spend it on the game.

DrBo42

Don't qoute me on this, but I think you can upgrade your package to a higher value one at anytime... Unless that was only available to early backers ?
Anyways, if so, just upgrade when you have the ca$h and want to spend it on the game.

Would the prices auto adjust based on how it previously worked or would I have to contact someone to pursue something like that?

MrBig

Would the prices auto adjust based on how it previously worked or would I have to contact someone to pursue something like that?

Go to your the hangar menu on your SC profile and there will be an option to reclaim it for store credit of the same amount as the original purchase price, though iirc you have to wait 24 hours after you originally purchased it.

DrBo42

Go to your the hangar menu on your SC profile and there will be an option to reclaim it for store credit of the same amount as the original purchase price, though iirc you have to wait 24 hours after you originally purchased it.

Ah, I see it. Thanks guys. Can the RSI Constellation launch a player controlled fighter or am I dreaming a bit too big? If I'm not as skilled a dogfighter as a buddy is can I have him come with me and launch from the ship if something goes down?

MrBig

Ah, I see it. Thanks guys. Can the RSI Constellation launch a player controlled fighter or am I dreaming a bit too big? If I'm not as skilled a dogfighter as a buddy is can I have him come with me and launch from the ship if something goes down?

Yes you can have a crew of your friends man all the turrets on all vessels and man any fighter that any ship stores. You can also hire NPC crewman if you need to fill additional slots.

So I just heard about this game from the X Rebirth thread...

Is there a quick FAQ or something for newbies, since the OP doesn't seem to be terribly up-to-date or whatnot.

MrBig

So I just heard about this game from the X Rebirth thread...

Is there a quick FAQ or something for newbies, since the OP doesn't seem to be terribly up-to-date or whatnot.

I clipped off the FAQ portion of the new OP I'll be posting soon for you: http://pastebin.com/M9hDdcVz

I finished fleshing out the FAQ last night and can post it now, but I really don't think it's necessary. Unless other people want it up now I'll wait for gamescom.

I clipped off the FAQ portion of the new OP I'll be posting soon for you: http://pastebin.com/M9hDdcVz

I finished fleshing out the FAQ last night and can post it now, but I really don't think it's necessary. Unless other people want it up now I'll wait for gamescom.

Thanks, that does help. I know that being late means I probably missed out on the early backer/pledge bonuses.

Is there any way to still get them, such as insurance or whatever? And assuming my initial budget is ~100, what's the best kind of package to get?

MrBig

Thanks, that does help. I know that being late means I probably missed out on the early backer/pledge bonuses.

Is there any way to still get them, such as insurance or whatever? And assuming my initial budget is ~100, what's the best kind of package to get?

I'd get the $40 digital mercenary package. It comes with a single person, all-around ship that's good for figuring out what you want to do in the universe and start you out working towards whatever it is you want to achieve. If you want to buy your way into rolls you already assume you'll enjoy you can read the description of all the other ships.

If you really want insurance you can ask someone to buy a package for you, but as described insurance costs will be inconsequential, a very small amount of the in-game currency you get for doing whatever it is you want to do.

Daedardus

I'd get the $40 digital mercenary package. It comes with a single person, all-around ship that's good for figuring out what you want to do in the universe and start you out working towards whatever it is you want to achieve. If you want to buy your way into rolls you already assume you'll enjoy you can read the description of all the other ships.

If you really want insurance you can ask someone to buy a package for you, but as described insurance costs will be inconsequential, a very small amount of the in-game currency you get for doing whatever it is you want to do.

Life-time insurance will hardly matter. A standard package comes with a few months of normal insurance, and that is enough time so you can buy a second ship. You'll always need to buy normal insurance for additional ships you buy.

Francois424

Neo Member
I've seen it, looks like that Type-5 slot on my Starfarer can be used for another turret (same type as the constellation).
I'm loving all that customisation thing, this is going to be so awesome !

Mindlog

The M50 is basically a pair of engines strapped to a cockpit.
wtLWNF2.gif

Can't wait. And still the 350R tempts me. I'm pretty happy that one is no longer available or I'd have both for some reason.

red731

I just wanted to ask....did I miss some good deals I could buy to become Star Citizen?
I would like to spend some money on this, but I don't know if I should wait for some other deals or just buy something now.

What if my ship gets destroyed after, lets say, five months - but I have 4 month insurence? I pay real money to get the ship back?

Thank you for answering these questions - I am on and off regarding info about this game.

Daedardus

I just wanted to ask....did I miss some good deals I could buy to become Star Citizen?
I would like to spend some money on this, but I don't know if I should wait for some other deals or just buy something now.

What if my ship gets destroyed after, lets say, five months - but I have 4 month insurence? I pay real money to get the ship back?

Thank you for answering these questions - I am on and off regarding info about this game.

Wait until next week, you may get a promo.

Also, if you don't have insurance and your ships breaks, it's lost forever. You'll need to fly with your other ships and if you don't have them anymore, you'll have to work your way to the top again. Insurance can be paid for with in-game money, though, and it won't cost a lot.

You should find a trustworthy original backer and ask them to buy the package that you want to get. They will get the lowest prices possible and it's extremely unlikely (read: impossible) that there will be any deals that will beat that price. I'm sure some Gaffer who is an original backer will be willing to help you out.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Everything in the game, including new ships, can be bought with in-game money. As if you're playing the old Wing Commander Privateer.

The ships people are pledging real money for right now are intended to let people start off the game with whatever ship they want instead of starting with the most basic ship and no equipment on it. (Well, and people are pledging really to help get the game made.)

red731

Thanks for the responses, guys.
If there is an original backer that would like to help me buy it, then that would be great.

Thanks again for the info regarding buying the ships.

Top Bottom