• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Mindlog

Those WIP sold some Avengers.
Which puts us at 15m.
Which means that the new push at the end of this month will have us over 16m.

@_@

garath

It's so weird that this thread is in community. When the hanger module is released should start a new thread.

On another note it sounds like they are going to try to release multiple modules. Wonder what is next..

It's so weird that this thread is in community. When the hanger module is released should start a new thread.

On another note it sounds like they are going to try to release multiple modules. Wonder what is next..

Dogfighting alpha is the next scheduled module. I would imagine that the hangar module will be updated in the mean time to add the missing ships as and when they get fully modeled.

Anyone know if the hangar module will be available for those who ordered the most basic Aurora package without alpha/beta access?

I'm pretty sure GAF policy now states that long, unending threads (like this one will be since it'll last 2 years) are to be placed in community.

MrBig

I'll be posting the alpha thread two weeks before hangar release, OTs like this get moved to community after one month and continue on for however long while major news gets posted in new threads on gaming side for wider discussion

AxeMan

So they just hit 15 million and released the 17 million stretch goals

Ship upgrade package for every pledger containing an engine modifier.
Additional flyable ship class: battlecruiser

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Additional flyable ship class: battlecruiser

The reaction from Idris owners should be interesting. Sucks for anyone who overpaid for one from a scalper, thinking that it was going to be the best.

Grief.exe

I'm pretty sure GAF policy now states that long, unending threads (like this one will be since it'll last 2 years) are to be placed in community.

I'll be posting the alpha thread two weeks before hangar release, OTs like this get moved to community after one month and continue on for however long while major news gets posted in new threads on gaming side for wider discussion

I PM'd Stump about it, who is kind of the go-to mod for PC gaming, and he echoed the same thoughts.

When hangar comes out, the OT will go in gaming. New OT when dog fighting comes out.

Daedardus

What's the point of these additional ship classes stretchgoals? We still need those 23 million anyway. If we don't make it Chris just has to take investor money for the rest of the amount. I'm sure they can do those ships with that money, too.

Rommel

What's the point of these additional ship classes stretchgoals? We still need those 23 million anyway. If we don't make it Chris just has to take investor money for the rest of the amount. I'm sure they can do those ships with that money, too.

I think its ok, they need to avoid the scope creep which stung DoubleFine

Dead Man

I'm pretty sure these are all things that were going to be done anyway, they are just announced as stretch goals rather than all at once to keep people interested (paying) :)

Rommel

I can upgrade from scout to 300 and pay the difference? If I bought on the original kick starter would my LTI upgrade as well?

You just reclaim the package for credit and purchase the one you want with cash and credit. You will keep your LTI with the new ship

Mindlog

HfvLqWw.png

Soon.

MrBig

I feel like feature creep is going to seriously hurt this game.

Don't forget that they were always targeting a ~$20m budget and the stretch goals are features needed by the game and are being surfaced as hardly anything more than a carrot on a stick to give people something to work towards.

Grief.exe

It seems to me like they have only been adding new ships as incentives.

They already have that pipeline set up, so it is not difficult for the artists to just make ships now.

I'm sure they need something to do anyways as the programmers are focusing on getting the hangar and dog fighting modules out, leaving no room for the artists to work on new content.

Minsc

Gold Member

Being part-MMO, feature creep is inherent in its nature actually, intentional. The game will be evolving for years and years to come. They have a grasp on what it will launch with and won't... if you watch a few Wingman Hanger's you'll see they field plenty of questions of "can we do this in the game" and as often as not they say we'd love to, but not at launch.

Daedardus

Being part-MMO, feature creep is inherent in its nature actually, intentional. The game will be evolving for years and years to come. They have a grasp on what it will launch with and won't... if you watch a few Wingman Hanger's you'll see they field plenty of questions of "can we do this in the game" and as often as not they say we'd love to, but not at launch.

I have a feeling that people will be complaining no matter how much stuff the final game has. There could be lots of initial backlash from backers and that would do the game no good and actually could endanger the continuous development.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It seems to me like they have only been adding new ships as incentives.

They already have that pipeline set up, so it is not difficult for the artists to just make ships now.

I'm sure they need something to do anyways as the programmers are focusing on getting the hangar and dog fighting modules out, leaving no room for the artists to work on new content.

The artists have plenty to do. There are, like, 10 pledge ships that aren't complete and won't be in there when the hangar module launches.

Rumblings make it sound like they're working on the Avenger and Stafarer right now. Although I'm not sure why they've jumped on making the Avenger so quickly when the Cutlass has been languishing since its one piece of concept art was released.

Mindlog

The Cutlass comes with a special hangar. They need to finish that first and the hangar pipeline is full right now.

Secret pirate asteroid base.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The Cutlass comes with a special hangar. They need to finish that first and the hangar pipeline is full right now.

Secret pirate asteroid base.

Yeah, I caught that on Wingman's Hangar, but I think that's a bit of a crappy excuse for not showing anything on the Cutlass in more than half a year. If the ship is done, why not show it off in an update or two? And why not let people sit it in a regular hangar until the pirate hangar is ready? Can it not exist without sitting in a pirate hangar? I think not.

Their lack of transparency often frustrates me.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If you go into MY RSI on the website and then check your hangar, you can now see what KIND of hangar you get!

Apparently my Freelancer package gets me a Business Hangar to start with. While my add-on purchase of the 325A "only" gets me a Discount Hangar...

Daedardus

If you go into MY RSI on the website and then check your hangar, you can now see what KIND of hangar you get!

Apparently my Freelancer package gets me a Business Hangar to start with. While my add-on purchase of the 325A "only" gets me a Discount Hangar...

Yeah my 315p gives me a discount hanger. Couldn't they have chosen a better name, like basic hangar? I kinda feel cheap now :(

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Discount hangar, aka "The Bargain Bin"

I'm stuck with one too for now because it looks like the Starfarer isn't ready for the hangar module.

They definitely could have picked a more appealing name, lol.

Grief.exe

The artists have plenty to do. There are, like, 10 pledge ships that aren't complete and won't be in there when the hangar module launches.

Rumblings make it sound like they're working on the Avenger and Stafarer right now. Although I'm not sure why they've jumped on making the Avenger so quickly when the Cutlass has been languishing since its one piece of concept art was released.

Read what I posted again, you are agreeing with me.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, Discount Hangar is a terrible name for it. Makes people who chose to give money in exchange for nothing but promises up front feel bad.

Read what I posted again, you are agreeing with me.

Well I'm saying that they don't need to think up more ships to make because they already have so many to do.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to post here that if anyone wants lifetime insurance on ships. I can buy them and gift them with my account. Probably some other GAFfers on here offering the same service so just add my name to the list of people with lifetime insurance options.

Mylene

The reaction from Idris owners should be interesting. Sucks for anyone who overpaid for one from a scalper, thinking that it was going to be the best.

very little reaction from idris owners actually, if anything it would be positive as most are chomping at the bit to buy a battlecruiser or destroyer. Thing is, they said the the Idris is the largest capital ship that players can pledge for and the only capital ship that can land on planets. Remember, every ship in this game plays a role and has their own merits. There is no "bigger ship = win" in this game. It's more of a system of perfect imbalance.

They did mention they were still thinking about making the destroyer a pledge ship, but they highly doubt it and very slim chance. as for the battlecruiser, that ship will be only obtainable in game through credits, probably will be many months down the road after persistent universe release until one of the dominant guilds pools enough money to build one. The largest ships in the game such as the bengal carriers will always be in the persistent universe so a guild has to keep it manned 24/7.

JambiBum

Ok so I'm pretty interested in this game but I have a couple of questions you guys can hopefully answer. All I really see in the thread and at the official websites are posts about buying ships and how much money (some ridiculous amounts for a ship in a game) they cost. If I were to buy the basic 30 dollar package would I be locked out of earning those other ships? The website doesn't do a very good job of explaining how it works, unless I"m just missing it. It kind of seems like to me that unless you want to pay a large chunk of money you will get locked out of a lot of content. I'd love to be wrong about this though.

Grief.exe

Ok so I'm pretty interested in this game but I have a couple of questions you guys can hopefully answer. All I really see in the thread and at the official websites are posts about buying ships and how much money (some ridiculous amounts for a ship in a game) they cost. If I were to buy the basic 30 dollar package would I be locked out of earning those other ships? The website doesn't do a very good job of explaining how it works, unless I"m just missing it. It kind of seems like to me that unless you want to pay a large chunk of money you will get locked out of a lot of content. I'd love to be wrong about this though.

Every ship for sale right now can be bought in game with credits.

JambiBum

Every ship for sale right now can be bought in game with credits.

Is this one of those situations like in other games where you have to grind forever to get the required credits to buy a ship though? I understand needing it to take some work in order to make the backers feel like their money was well spent, but it also shouldn't take 50 hours just to afford a better ship.

Grief.exe

Is this one of those situations like in other games where you have to grind forever to get the required credits to buy a ship though? I understand needing it to take some work in order to make the backers feel like their money was well spent, but it also shouldn't take 50 hours just to afford a better ship.

Nothing close to that.

This isn't a F2P game after launch, you just play the economy and you can earn nice ships fairly quickly.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nothing close to that.

This isn't a F2P game after launch, you just play the economy and you can earn nice ships fairly quickly.

Well it's still a pseudo-MMO (maybe even real MMO), so I don't think you'll be getting a $200 constellation in 10 missions or anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see it to a good 30+ hours to earn the credits for one and outfit it with engines/thrusters/weapons/etc. :)

Grief.exe

Well it's still a pseudo-MMO (maybe even real MMO), so I don't think you'll be getting a $200 constellation in 10 missions or anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see it to a good 30+ hours to earn the credits for one and outfit it with engines/thrusters/weapons/etc. :)

Well, yes, but that is one of the largest ships in the game.

I was just referring to a general case.

I believe that is exactly what Chris said, 20-30 hours for a Constellation.

Top Bottom