• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Daedardus

Information for the Gamescom party has been released. It contained some interesting tidbit however:

To help cover the cost of the event, we’ve created a “Gamescon 2943” trophy you can display in your hangar. Eventually, your trophy case will include everything from hard-won battle wreckage to racing awards… but for now, it will be a great way to show how you’ve been active in the community!

So this actually confirms you will be able to take part in races where you can win trophies. This also means they plan on making your hangar a more personal space. Chris already hinted at it, but this seems like it is confirmed, seeing as you can pay $5 for a trophy to put in there.

MrBig

Speaking of the website design, I feel it is way too cluttered, disorganized, and visually over-designed.

At first glance it does look nice, a derivative of the sci-fi OS aesthetic that TNG spawned, but it goes in a completely different direction than that classic design, instead of cleanly presenting information, with information being the star rather than the elements use to present it, the SC web ui puts art first and obfuscates information. Everything is also of seemingly random size, not of a predictable hierarchy.
For example, a common complaint from new users when they get to the store is that they have no idea what they should be looking at. There's bunch of boxes of different sizes and no direct description of what they represent, they have to click on each one read through the rather vague description and look through the randomly ordered list of contents down at the bottom of the page
And then there's the forum, much of the screen space is wasted with blank space, needless padding that reduces content size and increases page length and again obfuscates content. The scanlines then distract from the actual content of post. This annoyed me enough to make a script to get rid of all of the needless padding and make the post backgrounds a solid grey color with less contrasting text (as well as disabling .gif avatars and all signatures because they're just another distracting annoyance imo, after becoming so accustomed to gaf)

Daedardus

Speaking of the website design, I feel it is way too cluttered, disorganized, and visually over-designed.

At first glance it does look nice, a derivative of the sci-fi OS aesthetic that TNG spawned, but it goes in a completely different direction than that classic design, instead of cleanly presenting information, with information being the star rather than the elements use to present it, the SC web ui puts art first and obfuscates information. Everything is also of seemingly random size, not of a predictable hierarchy.
For example, a common complaint from new users when they get to the store is that they have no idea what they should be looking at. There's bunch of boxes of different sizes and no direct description of what they represent, they have to click on each one read through the rather vague description and look through the randomly ordered list of contents down at the bottom of the page
And then there's the forum, much of the screen space is wasted with blank space, needless padding that reduces content size and increases page length and again obfuscates content. The scanlines then distract from the actual content of post. This annoyed me enough to make a script to get rid of all of the needless padding and make the post backgrounds a solid grey color with less contrasting text (as well as disabling .gif avatars and all signatures because they're just another distracting annoyance imo, after becoming so accustomed to gaf)

I agree. The overall design looks nice. But figuring out what to pledge was very frustrating for me as a new backer. And getting to the brochures and some videos requires visiting the page from the about, and not the actual store page. It's confusing where you can find all the information you want.
Also, a side note: jif avatars aren't allowed anymore, because they were annoying indeed. (although you can still actually, even on gaf, use .apng)

Grief.exe

I agree. The overall design looks nice. But figuring out what to pledge was very frustrating for me as a new backer. And getting to the brochures and some videos requires visiting the page from the about, and not the actual store page. It's confusing where you can find all the information you want.
Also, a side note: jif avatars aren't allowed anymore, because they were annoying indeed. (although you can still actually, even on gaf, use .apng)

I agree, the pledge page is way too convoluted for good design.

They should make it incredibly easy for people to pledge, after all, that is how they make their money.

R83B

Neo Member

I agree, doesn't mean it isn't a slick cluster :p

Daedardus

Another tidbit I found today in the forums' Ask-a-dev:
The max class system for power plants has been replaced entirely. Keep an eye on the site for details on the new system. One thing I can tell you is that the new system allows for a much broader range of power plant technologies than the old max class system did, which is one of the main reasons we're upgrading it.

Could be interesting :)

I agree, doesn't mean it isn't a slick cluster :p

It's slick, but that could be very confusing for new users. They are improving on it, though.
Another thing I hate is that 'Remember me' isn't actually remembering me. When I close my browser it already forgets me. Could be a protection mechanism though.

injurai

Banned
star_citizen__jpeg__by_elprotection-d6e8co3.jpg

CTLance

Hrm. Not sure how I feel about buying a Trophy for my Hangar - especially since I won't attend the meeting they sell it for. I also feel that it kind of impairs the immersion, strangely enough. Plus, it's a Gamescom trophy, what would it even look like?

How 'bout you, Ladies, Gents and Gentiles?

I'm a bit amused that I buy expensive virtual spaceships sight unseen that I can get in the game anyway, but suddenly balk at throwing 5 bucks their way when it comes to a unique trophy nobody will be able to get after a certain event.

The event sounds neat though. Köln isn't that far away, but I have absolutely no time to att-*
We’re sorry, registration for this event is now full. Poll is closed.
Nevermind then.

Mindlog

I'm a bit amused that I buy expensive virtual spaceships sight unseen that I can get in the game anyway, but suddenly balk at throwing 5 bucks their way when it comes to a unique trophy nobody will be able to get after a certain event.
I have no response to that.

My little enterprise is quite modest, but the comic was a motivator to expand the business.
uVMIjMJ.png

Pledged my 40 bucks yesterday. I'll up my pledge later on if I can afford it. This thing is going to melt my PC.
If you'd like I can gift exchange that for you. You would get the base package with LTI plus the skin of your choice.

CTLance

A fleet of Auroras? Just what are you planning!

Let me guess, you plan to conquer a Bengal and convert the ship bay into a giant mass driver. And then you'll use the Auroras as ammo.... right?

Daedardus

I'm not buying a trophy without seeing it first. I also believe having money is not a real feat. I rather fill up that trophy case with rare artifact founds and maybe some racing competition.

I also was planning to go to Gamescom, but won't be able to make it due other things that already popped up. I also think I'd be out of place there, one younger looking guy amongst men already in their 30's and 40's.

CTLance

Dammit, I caved. Must have shiny.
zHTCnZY.gif

Now you make me feel out of place there xD.
Why? Whether you're 15, 25 or 45, you'll be there for a common goal, namely abduct meet Roberts, hear about the game and maybe even win some stuff (so envious!).

It may be a more mature audience, but as long as you don't turn up drunk and pee in the potted plants or sing racy songs during Q&A most people will not care. Just have a nice evening and enjoy yourself.

Also, there will always be a bunch of youngsters. Sometimes they may be only young in spirit, but they will be there.

Make sure you win something and report back.
We shall graciously accept HD recordings and an illustrated 30-page essay on the event, but only because you're a fellow gaffer. ;)

Daedardus

Now you make me feel out of place there xD.

I'm not saying you should feel out of place, it's just that I personally would. But I have that with all types of gaming events/meetups. I can feel unconformtable when in a group full of passionate people, and trust me, Star Citizen fans are surely passionate.

Grief.exe

This thread reminds me a lot of when I'm shopping with my girlfriend.

Just buys everything in sight, never questioning whether you need it or not.

Dakota47

This thread reminds me a lot of when I'm shopping with my girlfriend.

Just buys everything in sight, never questioning whether you need it or not.

Good analogy. I simply bought into the tier that gives me alpha access, and left it at that. I'll get the other ships by playing the game.

Daedardus

So did everyone forget about this game? Granted there hasn't been much new news anyway.

However, they did say they were going to update the site within a week or two (or more?) with more details on how the ships internals work (with a new engine system in place) and there should be a comparison tool for easy selecting. The hangar has been confirmed to be revealed and released around Gamescom, so maybe that's when the site updates too? I also expect them to reveal a new ship or two, along with new models for the ones already available. :)

So did everyone forget about this game? Granted there hasn't been much new news anyway.

However, they did say they were going to update the site within a week or two (or more?) with more details on how the ships internals work (with a new engine system in place) and there should be a comparison tool for easy selecting. The hangar has been confirmed to be revealed and released around Gamescom, so maybe that's when the site updates too? I also expect them to reveal a new ship or two, along with new models for the ones already available. :)

Wait until the pledgers get their Hangar Modules in their emails. This thread will erupt like Vesuvius.

MrBig

Hangar hype will probably die down pretty quickly, remember that pretty much the only functions said to be available when first launched will be staring at your ships. Customization, attachment fitting, multiplayer, etc will be released as each component is ready enough for public testing up and past the dogfighting/planetside modules.

Pretty much. Once the dogfighting alpha comes about, there will be plenty of discussions.

garath

I can't wait for the hanger module. My only fear is it will make me want to buy more ships. Especially if they give you a preview mode for ships to buy.

Grief.exe

I can't wait for the hanger module. My only fear is it will make me want to buy more ships. Especially if they give you a preview mode for ships to buy.

Chris Roberts is a genius.

Honestly, I probably won't even install the hangar module. I'll let all of you guys play dress up and I will check out the screenshots.

garath

Chris Roberts is a genius.

Honestly, I probably won't even install the hangar module. I'll let all of you guys play dress up and I will check out the screenshots.

What better way to sell the ships then to give you access to view them or even walk around them in your hanger. Damn. It's going to suck so much looking at it and not getting to fly it lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I like the Avenger. It looks like a present-day stealth fighter. If money isn't tight by November, CIG may claw another $60 out of me.

Gamescom, around the august 21st.

It sounds like it'll go live the day of the SC backers event, which is Saturday, Aug. 24.

injurai

Banned
Avenger WIP

my god that thing is sexy. I love designs that sort of emulate the Nasa space shuttle design. It's feels a bit more tangible as being a possible realistic progression of design. While the 300 looks like it would be constrained to atmo flight.

Top Bottom