• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Nokterian

19 million dollars! This game. So glad i am a part of it!

carlton-dancing-on-graham-norton.gif

CTLance

19 Million Amerikan Dollurs? Already?

More Moneys for the Moneythrone! Spaceships for the Spaceshiplord!
D934aEH.gif

Amazing how all this capital just shows up from somewhere among the populace. THIS COULD HAVE BEEN YOU, PUBLISHERS!
penny arcade summary said:
Also, make sure you pick an Original Backer who charges reasonable fees.
That's kinda where I draw the line. I do not feel comfortable with people outright charging for doing a friend or vaguely affiliated internet person a favour out of the goodness of their hearts. I mean, I'm sure there are thankful latecomers and the occasional ship skin or maybe even ship changes hands after or during a successful LTI transmogification. It's just that I'm really uneasy with the concept of people turning that into a business and charging fees. Oh well.

MrBig

Letter from the Chairman: $19 Million!

We are also excited to reveal the $21 million stretch goal, a major gameplay feature we have been hoping to include with Star Citizen and the culmination of several recent stretch goal unlocks!

Salvage Mechanic: Salvage isn’t an aside: it’s a career, with its own mechanic, story tie-ins and universe-shaping endgames. Search the galaxy for a host of valuable and interesting secrets using both the flight and FPS components. Discover the secrets of the ancient Hadesians, locate valuable components and cargo… or go down in history the first to make contact an entirely new alien race!

CR talks a bit about what continued funding entails and put up a poll on future stretch goals/funding display

I'm very happy with the direction they're going with the female characters. While there should of course be customization, I for some reason read an abysmal thread on the RSI forums today about wanting them to look like the firefall female characters and started dreading what direction they would take.

Keasar

Wait, space salvaging? Explore derelict ships and other things for valuable goods? On the fringes of the known space? Maybe in a not so very legal way?

bushwhacked086.jpg

Its all coming together.

Zabojnik

I'm so stoked for EVA. Any kind of EVA. Minor repairs to your ships, boarding, salvaging, whatever. It adds a whole new dimension to the game.

CTLance

Salvaging is exactly what I got my Freelancer for. Maybe the Cutlass as well if the going gets rough.

So glad the women are actually covered in armour and not just wearing space bikinis.

What's with those pods on the pic with the white suit? Are those mini missiles? Can't be. Extra sensor pods? Sample containers? Snack repositories? I mean, if I scoured through depressing desolated scenery I would need some picker-uppers to keep me motivated.

Vlodril

I'm so stoked for EVA. Any kind of EVA. Minor repairs to your ships, boarding, salvaging, whatever. It adds a whole new dimension to the game.

Yes. I got Dead space 3 for free after the sim city fiasco and the parts where you were just floating through space were awesome. I would love to see it in Star citizen too(this game is never getting made btw :p).

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
$19,000,000!!!

Eat crow EA, Activision and all those other big publisher that have to rely on DLC and microtransactions.

...RSI isn't charging absurd real world dollars for ships?

...they don't have a credit system?

You must be following a different game.

This looks like it could be great, but don't pretend it's something it's not.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't quite get this. This is a crowdfund, not all-the-money-goes-into-managers-pockets-so-they-can-buy-sports-cars.

I don't quite get your point, crowdfunding is a source of income.. it has no bearing on how they actually spend that money.

What's with those pods on the pic with the white suit? Are those mini missiles? Can't be. Extra sensor pods? Sample containers? Snack repositories? I mean, if I scoured through depressing desolated scenery I would need some picker-uppers to keep me motivated.

You talking about the ones on the back of the suit? Look like some sort of thrusters for moving around to me.

What's that? Crystal meth? xD

Yep that good blue stuff, bought with your money!

Daedardus

I don't quite get your point, crowdfunding is a source of income.. it has no bearing on how they actually spend that money.

Yes, but spending more money for this game just means a better final game. The complete base game won't be plagued much by unbalanced microtransaction. People give money because they thrust CIG and not because their fun gets locked away and they need to bail it out.

So Citizens I need some advice. I want to join this party. I'm not very much interested in crowdfunding or kickstarting but I consider this more of a preorder as I'm planning on getting this anyway. By "preodering" this I might get some really nice bonusses to get me started. I have a budget of 50 euro (normal retail cost of a PC game over here). I was looking at the different pledge packages and it seems like the Digital Bounty Hunter is the one to get for about 50 euros. Is there anything else I need to keep in mind while pledging. I read something about life time insurance, this pledge package contains only 4 months.

Extra info: my preferred role is exploration and some light mercantile, don't know if the ship I get with the pledge packaged is very suitable if it's more oriented towards combat.

So Citizens I need some advice. I want to join this party. I'm not very much interested in crowdfunding or kickstarting but I consider this more of a preorder as I'm planning on getting this anyway. By "preodering" this I might get some really nice bonusses to get me started. I have a budget of 50 euro (normal retail cost of a PC game over here). I was looking at the different pledge packages and it seems like the Digital Bounty Hunter is the one to get for about 50 euros. Is there anything else I need to keep in mind while pledging. I read something about life time insurance, this pledge package contains only 4 months.

Extra info: my preferred role is exploration and some light mercantile, don't know if the ship I get with the pledge packaged is very suitable if it's more oriented towards combat.

You should try to get an original backer to buy you the Digital Bounty Hunter package. It'll cost $10 less and you will get Lifetime Insurance as well. Some kind folks in this thread (or the SC thread in the community section) have been helping others out with this so you can ask there.

Since you're looking for an exploration/mercantile ship, the best option is probably the 315p (in the Pathfinder package). However if I were you I'd get the basic 300i in the Digital Bounty Hunter package and then just upgrade the ship with the 315p parts with ingame currency once the game launches.

In all this, the most important thing is that you shouldn't feel pressured to spend more money than you are comfortable with. Every ship and every upgrade you see in the store can be obtained by just playing the game. You are spending money to support the development of the game, not to buy bigger and better ships.

In all this, the most important thing is that you shouldn't feel pressured to spend more money than you are comfortable with. Every ship and every upgrade you see in the store can be obtained by just playing the game. You are spending money to support the development of the game, not to buy bigger and better ships.
This is the biggest thing that gets lost on most people.

This is the biggest thing that gets lost on most people.
I consider the stuff I receive by getting on the bandwagon early as a bonus. I know I can eventually get all the stuff I want just by playing. It's nice to start off with a few advantages though. Like I said I consider it as sort of a pre order.

Anyway thanks for your advice.

Mindlog

I consider the stuff I receive by getting on the bandwagon early as a bonus. I know I can eventually get all the stuff I want just by playing. It's nice to start off with a few advantages though. Like I said I consider it as sort of a pre order.

Anyway thanks for your advice.
I can help you with that. Here's what you do:
Find the price of the package you want. Now in Euros.
Buy enough giftable items (ships and skins) that add up to that amount.
When you have it all PM me and I'll trade it for the package you want with LTI.

If you wait 24H between buying the items and starting the trade it's a bit easier for me. Doing it that way means I can melt them without melting my own package.

Thank you for the offer Mindlog but I have already found someone willing to help me out. Now getting that hangar module to run well is a different thing altogether. Of course is not optimized yet but it seems a 560ti is beginning to show it's age.

Daedardus

Thank you for the offer Mindlog but I have already found someone willing to help me out. Now getting that hangar module to run well is a different thing altogether. Of course is not optimized yet but it seems a 560ti is beginning to show it's age.

A 560ti should be fine, if you play on low that is. Even the best graphics card have some problems due to performance glitches and whatnot. It will get fixed over time :)

Mindlog

Congrats.

I have to upgrade my rig as well, but I am waiting until the Oculus Rift and EVE Valkyrie arrive. In the meantime... more ships!

Mindlog

Shameless double post.
The Drake Interplanetary Caterpillar is now available for sale again.
827xVGA.png

The response has been pretty much what you would expect.
6LXbCCR.png

Munin

Do none of you actually want to earn the ships ingame instead of having it all available from the start? I'm not complaining since that behavior funds the game, but personally I just have the basic minimum package for the full game and don't understand why I would want to buy it all and lose my sense of progression in the game.

MrBig

Do none of you actually want to earn the ships ingame instead of having it all available from the start? I'm not complaining since that behavior funds the game, but personally I just have the basic minimum package for the full game and don't understand why I would want to buy it all and lose my sense of progression in the game.

Getting ships and such isn't really what this game is about to some people. There is no progression system in this game. Just like with cars, you buy the one that does what you want it do, but there are some people that collect many of them just because. It's the things you do with them, the journey, that is important, and if what you want to do is spend your time earning ships for something then you're free to do that.

MrBig

I thought the approach was actually to just have a handful ships and variations, but these would be extremely detailed. No?

There will be revisions to ships over time, like how cars manufacturers release revised models, as well new ships and shipmakers. Currently there are about 20 ships.

CTLance

The horror. Upon receiving that RSS update with the Caterpillar re-emergence I went "Meh" and "This isn't a specialized Starfarer or Freelancer model".

This can't be happening. I am not tempted. Me.

I think I need to lie down.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I finally installed the CryEngine 3 SDK. The forest sample map looks pretty nice, but even in windowed mode, it has some nasty slowdown and stutter on a 4+ GHz quad core and GTX 770. I hate to think what huge scale scenes may be like with Star Citizen, unless they can use the emptiness of space to optimize things. :p

It looks like I have to create a developer account to launch the editor, but maybe I can play around with the ship model once I do that. I think someone mentioned there is a lot of forum information on how to do it.

DTKT

Well, I finally installed the CryEngine 3 SDK. The forest sample map looks pretty nice, but even in windowed mode, it has some nasty slowdown and stutter on a 4+ GHz quad core and GTX 770. I hate to think what huge scale scenes may be like with Star Citizen, unless they can use the emptiness of space to optimize things. :p

It looks like I have to create a developer account to launch the editor, but maybe I can play around with the ship model once I do that. I think someone mentioned there is a lot of forum information on how to do it.

Trees are the deadliest thing when dealing with game performance. There are no trees in space!

Blizzard

Banned
Trees are the deadliest thing when dealing with game performance. There are no trees in space!
Deforestation never felt so good! (although the Star Citizen basic hangar is also crazy hard on my graphics card, but I suspect polycount might be part of that).

I wonder if they'll be running out of ideas for funding goals soon since every goal just gets obliterated. The $20,000,000, though, will make the game even more expansive. For those that don't know, it introduces FPS combat!

After that, for $21,000,000 is:
Salvage Mechanic: Salvage isn’t an aside: it’s a career, with its own mechanic, story tie-ins and universe-shaping endgames. Search the galaxy for a host of valuable and interesting secrets using both the flight and FPS components. Discover the secrets of the ancient Hadesians, locate valuable components and cargo… or go down in history the first to make contact an entirely new alien race!

According to the patch they added some limited interactivity for the switches and stuff in our ships. Maybe we can finally see where we will be taking our space dumps in hiding behind that door in the connie.

I wonder if they'll be running out of ideas for funding goals soon since every goal just gets obliterated. The $20,000,000, though, will make the game even more expansive. For those that don't know, it introduces FPS combat!

there already is FPS combat in the game, their just adding it planet side in that stretch goal

Blizzard

Banned
Oddly enough the CE3 SDK also has the weird half-second-ish jump delay the hangar demo has.

Is it because of some Crysis suit charge jump power? If you tap jump and release it really quick in the SDK the jump seems a bit more responsive.

According to the patch they added some limited interactivity for the switches and stuff in our ships. Maybe we can finally see where we will be taking our space dumps in hiding behind that door in the connie.

there already is FPS combat in the game, their just adding it planet side in that stretch goal

Incredible, nonetheless. This is a dream game. Unfortunately, my only real hope to play this anytime soon is if they release it for PS4, as my PC will struggle mightily with this game.

epmode

Practically every goal since the initial campaign ended is stuff that was already in the game's design and was discussed at length months ago. The few new things are typically minor extensions of existing mechanics. As others have mentioned, the FPS mode was announced way back at the beginning.

SPACE TOILET IS STILL LOCKED AAUGH

It's the Kahn, BTW.

edit: Wait wait wait, toilet, shower, bunks and table are operational. omfg

Some Nobody

This game looks positively amazing, and nearly everything I've ever wanted in a space exploration game, ever.

...But I really, really, REALLY hate First Person. >_<

Top Bottom