• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

poisonelf

You will be able to just fly with controller, but for advanced stuff You'll need more keys.

Thanks.

I did read the OP and the FAQ in the OP, (I didn't follow all the links though), and there are no details on this issue.
The answers to questions like "what's gameplay like" and "what's combat like?" are very general and just say you'll get to fight many people and NPC pirates.

Is there a more specific FAQ or article on how the ships are controlled? Or aren't such details available yet?

For the record I ask because I hope it's as simulator-y and keyboard needing as possible.

Daedardus

Thanks.

I did read the OP and the FAQ in the OP, (I didn't follow all the links though), and there are no details on this issue.
The answers to questions like "what's gameplay like" and "what's combat like?" are very general and just say you'll get to fight many people and NPC pirates.

Is there a more specific FAQ or article on how the ships are controlled? Or aren't such details available yet?

For the record I ask because I hope it's as simulator-y and keyboard needing as possible.

Nobody really knows. The flying part still has to be implemented and nobody was able to fly a ship aside from cheating in Cryengine and fly them like helicopters. All we know is from a year old demo by Chris Roberts who used a rather small ship.

Zabojnik

Stuff like changing radar modes, transferring power from weapons to shield, targeting specific parts of target, using comms, etc, etc, or is it 'optimized' for a gamepad?

Or do we not know yet?

We do. Not the fine details, but you'll be able to do everything you mentioned and more, like "overclocking" ship systems, as well as disable (or "hack") the fly-by-wire system, which will allow you to perform all sorts of advanced flying manouvers.

Think Tie Fighter and the space sims of old, but with a lot more variety.

poisonelf

We do. Not the fine details, but you'll be able to do everything you mentioned and more, like "overclocking" ship systems, as well as disable (or "hack") the fly-by-wire system, which will allow you to perform all sorts of advanced flying manouvers.

Think Tie Fighter and the space sims of old, but with a lot more variety.

I'm starting to seriously love this game... I must follow it more.

Thanks for the info!

MrBig

Thanks.

I'd love to include the answers to these kind of questions, but really even CIG only has promises and ideas at the moment. What we're seeing now is development milestones, and they're just starting on fleshing out the flight mechanics for the dogfighting module in december. Gameplay won't be largely expanded on until mid/late 2014

poisonelf

I'd love to include the answers to these kind of questions, but really even CIG only has promises and ideas at the moment. What we're seeing now is development milestones, and they're just starting on fleshing out the flight mechanics for the dogfighting module in december. Gameplay won't be largely expanded on until mid/late 2014

It's an awesome and most informative OP anyway :)

Zabojnik's reply more than addressed what I was wondering anyhow, it's certainly on my list now.

Zabojnik

It's an awesome and most informative OP anyway :)

Zabojnik's reply more than addressed what I was wondering anyhow, it's certainly on my list now.

MrBig's right by the way, the design is a long, long way from being finalized, but that's the gist of it. They answer a lot of questions like yours (often deliberately vaguely, as it is indeed all WIP) on Wingman's Hangar, CIG's weekly show about everything Star Citizen, during the initial Forum Feedback segment. Check it out sometimes.

Wingman's Hangar

MrBig

Yeah, they post a thread on the forums every week for questions to be answered on Wingmans hangar, or a lot of devs have their own threads in which they (or at least most of them) actively answer questions if you have a question about very specific stuff. I'd suggest reading through any of the designer's threads to see their responses to questions that have already been posed.

Zabojnik

This guy took the P-52 snub fighter plus some other assets buried in the hangar module and imported them into Unity. Add space and Oculus Rift and ... Pretty damn cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LcCT0vP38Y

Heh, even got a reply from Chris on the forums.

Chris Roberts said:
Brilliant!

Flight movement looks really fluid as well! Be interested to hear how you are modeling it...

Great stuff Hlao...

Best community? Best community.

Mindlog

I wonder if Vinny reads this thread. He brought up some points on the Podcast about how people are still confused when they're ready to buy-in. As always all questions will be answered here. If you need help getting a package with LTI just let us know.

9oPr5kS.png

Steam Machine

epmode

$20,000,000

4vkkEja.gif

New thread maybe? I dunno!

When RSI launched, I didn't suspect for a second that they'd reach even a quarter of this. I figured they'd maybe come close to Double Fine Adventure and the genre would hopefully have a decent bump after release... But this is out of control.

Hell, I fully expected this game to be some low budget, free to play garbage.

MrBig

There's a poll at the end of the new article about where they should focus some of their refinements for the hangars next, btw
New thread maybe? I dunno!

When the new brochures etc arrive separate thread may be in order (or a title amendment), but hitting $20m is just business as usual for them

Zabojnik

So are they gonna do stretch goals all the way until release now? That would be...weird

Chris Roberts said:
There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce. Typically the stretch goals fall into two categories;

The first are goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn’t create content because of budgetary constraints. The first person combat on select planets is a great example of this type of goal. We already have FPS combat as part of the game in ship boarding, and we already have most of this already functional thanks to CryEngine, as we essentially have Crysis3 functionality out of the box. But creating all the environments and assets to fill them is a huge task, so we were planning on not doing any planetside combat initially, simply because of its cost, with the idea that we would slowly roll it out once the game is live. But with the additional funds we can now afford to create some of this content earlier rather than later.

The facial capture system is an example of the second type, where we identify technology and equipment that will make the game better and allow us to be more nimble and economically efficient in continually creating content for the ongoing universe that we are aiming to support. The motion capture system and sound studio were goals that feel into this category.

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state. Also remember that this is not like a typical retail boxed product — there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game.

At this point they're more "announcements" than stretch goals, which makes sense.

epmode

So are they gonna do stretch goals all the way until release now? That would be...weird

From the post:

There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce. Typically the stretch goals fall into two categories;

The first are goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn’t create content because of budgetary constraints. The first person combat on select planets is a great example of this type of goal. We already have FPS combat as part of the game in ship boarding, and we already have most of this already functional thanks to CryEngine, as we essentially have Crysis3 functionality out of the box. But creating all the environments and assets to fill them is a huge task, so we were planning on not doing any planetside combat initially, simply because of its cost, with the idea that we would slowly roll it out once the game is live. But with the additional funds we can now afford to create some of this content earlier rather than later.

The facial capture system is an example of the second type, where we identify technology and equipment that will make the game better and allow us to be more nimble and economically efficient in continually creating content for the ongoing universe that we are aiming to support. The motion capture system and sound studio were goals that feel into this category.

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state. Also remember that this is not like a typical retail boxed product — there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game.

edit: <3<3<3

In other news, I hope everyone picked "bathroom" in the poll.

MrBig

It's just a way of engaging with the community, informing them of what they're doing with the money people are giving them. A publisher funding a game certainly wouldn't want to just have their money taken and then suddenly have a game a few years later that they know nothing about or had no input on

Vlodril

Excellent. Everyone is voting for the firing range :) Should give some functionality in the hangars. Windows would be nice too.

CTLance

To be completely honest, a firing range is such an utterly mundane addition, it never even entered my field of vision.

I was torn between a Lounge and the Buggy stuff. I should have voted Buggy, but flipped a coin and went for Lounges. Mistake. Oh well.

I'd have liked a Zero G training room for EVA and such.

MrBig

Firing range would be quite important with the perspective of testing weapon design, making it at least feel and operate well if not balanced. All the other stuff seemed like just art expansions that don't need to be at the forefront of the focus, since they're clearly proven that they've got that down.

Blizzard

Banned
I also went for the firing range. As long as it gets added to like the $75 hangar and I don't have to pay something additional to use it. =P

taoofjord

Anyone have any recommendations for a middle to high-end throttle and joystick? I'm really excited for this and the other awesome looking space and flight sim games coming out (and combing them with an oculus rift!)

derFeef

Anyone have any recommendations for a middle to high-end throttle and joystick? I'm really excited for this and the other awesome looking space and flight sim games coming out (and combing them with an oculus rift!)

I can vouch for the quality of Saitek joysticks, I don't know how their driver support is nowadays though. Look for Saitek X52 or higher :)

MrBig

Most of the current ships appear to use dual sticks, so I'd wait to see what CIG recommends for the dogfighting module.

Zabojnik

Saitek X52 Pro seems to be a favourite in the middle to high-end bracket.

CTLance

Or, in so many words, why The Roberts deserves every penny I threw in His direction.

Seriously though, this was always a point of heated arguments, and finally, FINALLY, we get an answer - and it seems like this answer will suit most, if not all backers. Awesome stuff.

Top Bottom