• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Shameless double post.
The Drake Interplanetary Caterpillar is now available for sale again.
827xVGA.png

The response has been pretty much what you would expect.
6LXbCCR.png

Man, that looks awesome.

Really considering getting that or the Constellation... Anyone have any thoughts on getting one over the other?

This game looks positively amazing, and nearly everything I've ever wanted in a space exploration game, ever.

...But I really, really, REALLY hate First Person. >_<

There is third person mode, at least in the hanger. Granted, I don't know if it will be playable like that in the final game, or how that will work with the FPS portions they added with a stretch goal somewhat frequently.

Oh, I know. I read that same news elsewhere. Hoping to make this a reality, I tweeted Gio Corsi from Sony that Star Citizen should be on PS4.

If they announce a PS4 version before the game is even out for a year, CR is going to be shot the next time he steps out of his house. This game was announced as a pure, PC elitist experience from day one, with no compromise of hardware power or controller input.
Frankly, I hope it never comes out on consoles. WoW never did, and they were just fine.

Daedardus

If they announce a PS4 version before the game is even out for a year, CR is going to be shot the next time he steps out of his house. This game was announced as a pure, PC elitist experience from day one, with no compromise of hardware power or controller input.
Frankly, I hope it never comes out on consoles. WoW never did, and they were just fine.

I wouldn't mind a PS4 version. As long as they just outsource it and the PC version doesn't get worse due to it.

sm4Rm3p.gif

Blingee'd

Glorious. Needs more cash though.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Glorious. Needs more cash though.

Fixed:

4vkkEja.gif

The cash was tricky to find. It didn't show on the default 10 tabs but you can add more by searching.

Grabbed with GifCam while editing. The frame rate's way better than the output they give you.

epmode

This game looks positively amazing, and nearly everything I've ever wanted in a space exploration game, ever.

Has there ever been a good third person space sim? Are there any third person space sims at all? I mean, there are things like Rogue Squadron but those barely space sims at all.

Anyway, Star Citizen will probably have a third person camera for your ship as well as your player but you'll miss out on most of the HUD and assists so it's just there for aesthetics.

MrBig

SC's an immersive space sim, not an RPG. Third person is inappropriate. There's a third person mode in the hangar but that will be replaced by a sort of droid that can fly around your craft at some point.

Daedardus

SC's an immersive space sim, not an RPG. Third person is inappropriate. There's a third person mode in the hangar but that will be replaced by a sort of droid that can fly around your craft at some point.

I don't really think third-person is inappropriate. I feel gamepad controls are more intuitive when controlling in third person. As long as they give the freedom of choice I don't care.

MrBig

I don't really think third-person is inappropriate. I feel gamepad controls are more intuitive when controlling in third person. As long as they give the freedom of choice I don't care.

It is really quite innapropriate. Beyond third person not being explainable in-fiction for characters and this game being about you doing whatever (this is the biggest Rift game currently announced) and not about you watching/controlling someone doing whatever, it would destroy balance. Being able to anticipate what another person is capable of doing, because you're aware of exactly what they're able to see (if that is how you want to operate) is quite important. Being able to look around corners without exposing yourself, and cheating the camera system in any number of ways to do things you can't physically do. It would just create a situation where if you don't use it you would be putting yourself in a position that is objectively worse than anyone that is.

As long as I can shoot down the droid that can follow ships I'm fine with that.

I believe CR has talked about having a third person option at social hubs. There it really doesn't matter to me if someone is allowed to use a third person camera because there is no competitive advantage to it, but for the sake of continuity/immersion/whatever other excuse I still wouldn't like it.

Don't forget though that this game supports mods, if you don't like the ruleset of the persistent universe you can create or play on a private server.

Some Nobody

You know, there ARE people who'd like to play the game on PS4. Plus the guy seems really into not sacrificing anything to make it more console-like. It's very possible if he can't make a PS4 version without "gimping" the PC version, he won't.

Which is fine. I'll just have to wait for someone with that same level of vision (which took decades) for consoles. :(

Vlodril

Good patch for the hangar. My workbench is finally visible and there is no clipping any more in the aurora. The animations for the controls are still off but that's because probably there are no individual animations per ship yet.

MrBig

Good patch for the hangar. My workbench is finally visible and there is no clipping any more in the aurora. The animations for the controls are still off but that's because probably there are no individual animations per ship yet.

Indeed, my aurora now has its leather seats :)

Perkel

Banned
I could see Squadron 42 come to PS4, along with a sort of dogfighting multiplayer game. That would be fine by me.

With $20mln which will happen in few days i pretty sure they will port it to PS4 in future.

btw just 450k to 20mln$

I remember when i was saying in 2012 that by the end of 2013 we will see probably first game to get 10mln$ in crowfunding........... and that was crazy thought.

epmode

Eh, ports are perfectly fine so long as they don't affect development of the PC version in any way. That's the real catch, though. Making a space PC-style space sim 100% playable with nothing but a console controller can be tricky and it could lead to the game design being altered to account for the input method.

There's also the question about how well consoles could handle the scale of a game like this, and that's tough to know until we start seeing next-gen game releases.

MrBig

Eh, ports are perfectly fine so long as they don't affect development of the PC version in any way. That's the real catch, though. Making a space PC-style space sim 100% playable with nothing but a console controller can be tricky and it could lead to the game design being altered to account for the input method.

There's also the question about how well consoles could handle the scale of a game like this, and that's tough to know until we start seeing next-gen game releases.

I think it'd be fine if they handled it like minecraft. Hand the game off to a studio that can fully focus on making it work on the console version, and take care of the interface and appropriate inclusion of content for performance. That way the PC version is at no risk of being compromised, innovation can continue, dev time isn't absorbed, etc

Mindlog

With $20mln which will happen in few days i pretty sure they will port it to PS4 in future.

btw just 450k to 20mln$

I remember when i was saying in 2012 that by the end of 2013 we will see probably first game to get 10mln$ in crowfunding........... and that was crazy thought.
That is absurd. I though we'd crack 21M after all the brochures are released and that was being optimistic. Wouldn't be terribly surprised by $23M now. They said $23M is basically the original $21 plus all the associated fees incurred with kickstarter and what have you.

The Caterpillar does look pretty neat though. That modular setup is great.
Large pics: Module Flightdeck

Even the Cutlass has an allure.

FACE

Banned

btw just 450k to 20mln$

PC gamers gave them 20 mill to make a PC game, it'd be bullshit if they announced a console port after getting all that money.

KKRT00

PC gamers gave them 20 mill to make a PC game, it'd be bullshit if they announced a console port after getting all that money.

There should different stretch goal for console versions, so console gamers could have a reason to support this game too and not just benefit from PC community.
I dont see personally Star Citizen on console, they would need keep additional team to work on game all the time and keep up with PC version patches, but i think that Squadron 42 campaign would be good option for PS4/Xbone.

FACE

Banned
There should different stretch goal for console versions, so console gamers could have a reason to support this game too and not just benefit from PC community.
I dont see personally Star Citizen on console, they would need keep additional team to work on game all the time and keep up with PC version patches, but i think that Squadron 42 campaign would be good option for PS4/Xbone.

I'm not a fan of consoles as stretch goals, if your game is going to be multiplatform then say so from day one.

Edit: And let's not forget that part of their pitch was basically 'fuck consoles, this is a PC game".

MrBig

I'm not a fan of consoles as stretch goals, if your game is going to be multiplatform then say so from day one.

While I agree that they shouldn't be using any of this initial funding for any console stuff, there's no reason for them to not use post backing period/launch profit for the set up or contracting of a team to handle a port, on the condition that it's development is complete secondary to the PC version. It'd clearly pay for itself and much more if SC is well received at its initial launch.

FACE

Banned
While I agree that they shouldn't be using any of this initial funding for any console stuff, there's no reason for them to not use post backing period/launch profit for the set up or contracting of a team to handle a port, on the condition that it's development is complete secondary to the PC version. It'd clearly pay for itself and much more if SC is well received at its initial launch.

I'd be okay with that.

Is there a timeframe for the Rift support? And will prices be consistent or will they change soon? Ie will it still be 40 dollars for the full game come december when the dog fighting module launches?

KKRT00

Edit: And let's not forget that part of their pitch was basically 'fuck consoles, this is a PC game".

It was more fuck publishers, which includes Sony and Microsoft and current gen consoles, and their limitations.
I dont mind console port or console specific stretch goal for something like Squadron 42, because at the end of the day all funding from consoles copies would fund future upgrades to Star Citizen :)

FACE

Banned
It was more fuck publishers, which includes Sony and Microfost and current gen consoles, and their limitations.
I dont mind console port or console specific stretch goal for something like Squadron 42, because at the end of the day all funding from consoles copies would fund future upgrades to Star Citizen :)

That too, but their pitch video basically starts with "I'm a space sim and a PC game, fuck yeah!"

epmode

This is weird to me. I can keep my irrational hatred of PC as a gaming platform to a minimum, but apparently people can't do the same for consoles?

There are legitimate concerns about formerly PC-exclusive games being reworked to suit console specs and control methods, and space sims in particular are problematic because of the nature of the genre. I wouldn't go so far as to post michaelscottnooooo.gif since this game is being funded entirely by people who would spot potential "streamlining" in an instant.

But you can't deny that quite a few PC franchises went downhill the instant the developers tried to chase a multiplatform audience.

CTLance

Haha, the meltdowns would be legendary if so much as the impression surfaced that the game was designed with consoles in mind.

I think that year, winter would be called off on account of the blazing heat radiating off all internet-capable devices. The concentrated hate would increase worldwide average temperatures at least as much as humanities combined CO2 emissions over the last century.

Daedardus

Haha, the meltdowns would be legendary if so much as the impression surfaced that the game was designed with consoles in mind.

Redmond, Washington - Chris Roberts strikes major deal with Microsoft Corporation to bring its newest space sim exclusively to Xbox One on consoles.
Star Citizen, the biggest crowdfunded project ever, is set to launch November 2015, exclusively on Xbox One and Windows 9, Microsoft announced. Chris Roberts, the game's founding father : "We always kept close relationships with Microsoft and it was our ultimate dream to bring the game to consoles. I'm glad we're finally able to realize the project. The game will be the best space sim ever, and with the additional funding consoles give us, we can make it even better. Keep looking out for more details soon"

*Star Citizen requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription and permanent internet connection to be able to be played. Additional charges may apply.

Joking, joking :)

Grief.exe

There are legitimate concerns about formerly PC-exclusive games being reworked to suit console specs and control methods, and space sims in particular are problematic because of the nature of the genre. I wouldn't go so far as to post michaelscottnooooo.gif since this game is being funded entirely by people who would spot potential "streamlining" in an instant.

But you can't deny that quite a few PC franchises went downhill the instant the developers tried to chase a multiplatform audience.

This would be my argument.

They would have to conform to lower power standards, controllers with only a few buttons, certification update process, and more.

Releasing the game on consoles would only streamline the game and negatively affect my overall enjoyment.

FACE

Banned

They would have to conform to lower power standards, controllers with only a few buttons, certification update process, and more.

Releasing the game on consoles would only streamline the game and negatively affect my overall enjoyment.

iRRh0mV9T2diU.gif

Abounder

Banned
I'm hyped for this game. Star Citizen, EQ Next, and Titanfall have become my most anticipated titles.

I hope Star Citizen takes off not only for the donors but also so we can see more games like it. For example a Star Wars version of Star Citizen would/could/should be absolutely epic and I don't think people would mind a more Rogue Squadron arcade feel.

How sim is Star Citizen going to be anyway? Are we talking about Project RHO kind of caliber of realism? http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php

I'm a newbie that should really read up but would love to get some answers in the thread, peace

CzarTim

I'm hyped for this game. Star Citizen, EQ Next, and Titanfall have become my most anticipated titles.

I hope Star Citizen takes off not only for the donors but also so we can see more games like it. For example a Star Wars version of Star Citizen would/could/should be absolutely epic and I don't think people would mind a more Rogue Squadron arcade feel.

How sim is Star Citizen going to be anyway? Are we talking about Project RHO kind of caliber of realism? http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php

I'm a newbie that should really read up but would love to get some answers in the thread, peace
Ships will control like fly by wire. So fun > realism.

MrBig

Ships will control like fly by wire. So fun > realism.

Yes the game is targeting fun over realism, but fly by wire is only one method of control. There will be different instrument packages for deeper access into ship systems and more direct control of flight systems, like how you can get cars today with manual or auto transmission, or the f-32 vs more traditional designs.

Daedardus

They already provide full gamepad support. I'm not sure whether the lack of a keyboard would be bothersome outside of chat. Updates also don't have to pass certification anymore.

Daedardus

As a baseline it is technically possible to bring a slightly altered experience to consoles, but I don't think they will go that route before the game is even out. It costs too much resources (money and manpower), that the game will only suffer from it before they have a steady income or a publisher wanting to take over the console version.

But the fact that it would no longer be a PC exclusive shouldn't bother anyone, imho. The PC version would still be one of the best PC games out in the wild, as CIG don't want to make any concessions to the PC version. That's like Diet Coke not doing anything to taste of Classic Coke, as long as they don't go the New Coke route.

poisonelf

Is the flying part of the game simulator-like? I mean, is the keyboard involved for more than "select target"?

Stuff like changing radar modes, transferring power from weapons to shield, targeting specific parts of target, using comms, etc, etc, or is it 'optimized' for a gamepad?

Or do we not know yet?

KKRT00

Is the flying part of the game simulator-like? I mean, is the keyboard involved for more than "select target"?

Stuff like changing radar modes, transferring power from weapons to shield, targeting specific parts of target, using comms, etc, etc, or is it 'optimized' for a gamepad?

Or do we not know yet?

You will be able to just fly with controller, but for advanced stuff You'll need more keys.

Top Bottom