• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would a non-spherical star even work? Doesn't gravity force matter above a certain mass into a sphere?

They're still spheroid, I think, just streched out, it's called gravity darkening and causes a pole or both poles to be brighter than the middle. On a normal star brightness is the same anywhere across the visible disc.

If wormholes exist, FTL communication from the perspective of the universe outside the wormhole can be achieved.

Open a wormhole between points A and B 1 LY apart and send a radio burst through it from A to B. If the radio burst takes less than one year to pass through the wormhole from A to B, from a practical engineering viewpoint FTL has occurred. Has it really occurred? Not really, but it certainly appears that way as the burst has gone 1 LY in less than 1 year's time.

It's like entropic forces - it's not exactly what is happening, but it may as well be if you are trying to build something. Hydrophilic and hydrophobic are great tools for looking at the world, but they are not exactly accurate.

Wormholes are also theoretically possible, therefore this sort of FTL is theoretically possible as well.

This still isn't FTL travel, though. You aren't going faster than light. You're just reaching a destination before light by reducing your path from A to B. A wormhole bends physical space through a higher dimension, so your distance is reduced.

If we're invoking fantasy, why don't they just use the fairy express?

First off, it's sci-fi, not fantasy.

Second, we're talking fringe science, which is stuff that's theoretically possible to do, we just can't currently for one reason or another (tech, energy, understanding, whatever)

If life on another planet started even just 100 years before life on ours did, they would be at a huge technological advantage over us. I think it's super short sighted and more than a little condescending to imply that something like a Dyson Swarm or even worm holes are some kind of impossible things that can't, don't, or won't ever exist, especially if we're talking about a civilization with a head start on ours. As many have pointed out already, humanity could start building a Dyson Swarm right now today with our current level of tech, There's no reason to act like it's some kind of silly fantastical dream.

This still isn't FTL travel, though. You aren't going faster than light. You're just reaching a destination before light by reducing your path from A to B. A wormhole bends physical space through a higher dimension, so your distance is reduced.

If I have a problem of getting a signal 1 LY away in less than 1 year, then if I solve that I have overcome the impossibility of FTL travel. Sure, I warped space so that through the wormhole the signal only travels a millimeter or something (not my field), but I still got the signal 1 LY away in a fraction of the time.

FTL, but not FTL, but may as well be FTL. Science has a lot of those, as I mentioned with hydroponic and hydrophilic forces.

Crispy75

Yes, you could see people (drones?) working on it, as they were 1480 years ago.

In theory (ok guys I'm really gonna push it here), if we could create a big enough wormhole, and had access to a big enough telescope that we could get through that wormhole, we could go 2016 light years away, observe the earth from there and potentially see Jesus himself.

I'm not even sure a type-2 civ would be able to do this, but in theory... it's possible.

We can kind of do this today. When we see a supernova happen, we only ever see the after-effects. We can't watch every star in the sky in real-time, so someone will notice a brightened star and we point all the telescopes at it and get to watch the "boring" bit of the explosion. There only one existing recording of the actual instant of a supernova, and that was a fluke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_2008D

BUT, the light from that detonation goes in all directions, as well as towards us. So if we watch the space around the star, we can see that light interact with interstellar gas/dust, which gives us a little insight into the event that we missed because we weren't looking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_echo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_echo

If I have a problem of getting a signal 1 LY away in less than 1 year, then if I solve that I have overcome the impossibility of FTL travel. Sure, I warped space so that through the wormhole the signal only travels a millimeter or something (not my field), but I still got the signal 1 LY away in a fraction of the time.

FTL, but not FTL, but may as well be FTL. Science has a lot of those, as I mentioned with hydroponic and hydrophilic forces.

I'll have to disagree there, then. It's just bad science to say something travelled faster than light when it really doesn't. It's not even an adequate approximation.

It doesn't appear like FTL in any reference frame. From the observer's frame, they would detect a signal skipping a portion of space entirely, not moving faster than light.

I'll have to disagree there, then. It's just bad science to say something travelled faster than light when it really doesn't. It's not even an adequate approximation.

It doesn't appear like FTL in any reference frame. From the observer's frame, they would detect a signal skipping a portion of space entirely, not moving faster than light.

But it will get to it's destination "FTL".

And I'm looking at it as a problem (v > c) and tool to solve it. Do I understand that the actual v < c? Yes, but I still sent something 1 LY away in less than a year. That's really all I care about. That limit, as a practical matter of why non-seed ship or drone space travel would be impossible, means nothing.

And I see the skip differently. c is a fundamental limit on the propagation of information. To the observer, that skip is very important because it means that information has effectively skipped "backwards" towards them such that they got it before they would have otherwise through artifice.

RangerBAD

This is an odd reaction because if nothing else this latest news at least shows the most logical outcome for what is happening is out the window.

Doesn't mean aliens but it also means we really have no fucking clue what's going on with this star.

Maybe its even something crazier than a Class 2 civilization and its a monstrously gigantic alien organism that floats through space eating stars!

VwfRYp.gif

Bring it on, giant space bugs!

Not sure I followed this line of thought. Could you elaborate on this?

Suppose you had a pond with three colinear points A, B, and C. Point A lies between B and C, 10 M from each. On the line between A and B are the inlet and outlet of a wormhole, with the inlet 1 m from A and the outlet 1 m from B.

If you drop a rock at A at t=0 s a wave will form and propagate outwards at, say, 1 m/s. That wave should reach B and C at the same time (t=10 s), but because of the wormhole the wave reaches B at t=2 s. Thus you are seeing the effect expected at t=10 s at t=2 s. The effect of the wave reaching B at t=10 sec has effectively jumped backwards in time to t=2 s.

Suppose you had a pond with three colinear points A, B, and C. Point A lies between B and C, 10 M from each. On the line between A and B are the inlet and outlet of a wormhole, with the inlet 1 m from A and the outlet 1 m from B.

If you drop a rock at A at t=0 s a wave will form and propagate outwards at, say, 1 m/s. That wave should reach B and C at the same time (t=10 s), but because of the wormhole the wave reaches B at t=2 s. Thus you are seeing the effect expected at t=10 s at t=2 s. The effect of the wave reaching B at t=10 sec has effectively jumped backwards in time to t=2 s.

Hmmmmm, I don't see why you would can that "backwards in time" because the wave got there when it did. If an observer was stationed at B, they would simply observe the wave reaching B before they would have expected it. The logical conclusion, if the observer couldn't watch the wave approach B at all, would be that the wave travelled much faster than anticipated.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So here is the thing I don't get, if we think of Dyson Spheres.

Imagine Earth is like a pea, and sun is like a basketball. The pea is 30m away from the basketball. Now imagine you were to draw lines from the basketball to every direction. And infinitesimally tiny fraction of those lines hit the pea. In other words, a tiny, tiny fraction of sun's energy even reaches earth.

Mankind's total energy need in our current state of development is 18 TW. The total amount of solar energy reaching earth is 174,000 TW. So even if we could capture all of the tiny fraction of solar energy hitting one planet, we'd have 10,000 times more juice than we do currently. What could we do that we can't do now if we had ten thousand times the available energy at our disposal? It's hard to think of anything that would require that much power.

Now, up the game from there to all of sun's output, a total of 3.8 x 10^26 W, or 380,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 W. That's about a trillion times more that wll the sunlight earth receives in total, and about a quadrillion times more than all of mankind uses currently. What would a civilization do with that amount of energy?

Branduil

Imagine Earth is like a pea, and sun is like a basketball. The pea is a football field away from the basketball. Now imagine you were to draw lines from the basketball to every direction. And infinitesimally tiny fraction of those lines hit the pea. In other words, a tiny, tiny fraction of suns energy even reaches earth.

Mankind's total energy need in our current state of development is 18 TW. The total amount of solar energy reaching earth is 174,000 TW. So even if we could capture all of the tiny fraction of solar energy hitting one planet, we'd have 10,000 times more juice than we do currently. What could we do that we can't do now if we had ten thousand times the available energy at our disposal? It's hard to think of anything that would require that much power.

Now, up the game from there to all of sun's output, a total of 3.8 x 10^26 W, or 380,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 W. That's about a trillion times more that wll the sunlight earth receives in total, and about a quadrillion times more than all of mankind uses currently. What would a civilization do with that amount of energy?

Make cell phone batteries that last longer than 5 hours.

So if it is intelligent aliens, ask yourselves these questions.

How old are they? Why did they evolve intelligence? What did they evolve from?

Its said that humans evolved intelligence to hunt. Over time, we got better and better at it. Maybe these guys evolved intelligence to escape acid rain, or to kill each other, or to catch the only food source, which is air borne. It could be anything. Intelligence evolves for a reason. What did they evolve from? They almost certainly evolved from bacteria in a body of water, that eventually walked on land. But what happened after that? This could have happened billions of years before life got a foothold on earth, making them very old.

Imagine Earth is like a pea, and sun is like a basketball. The pea is 30m away from the basketball. Now imagine you were to draw lines from the basketball to every direction. And infinitesimally tiny fraction of those lines hit the pea. In other words, a tiny, tiny fraction of sun's energy even reaches earth.

Destroy 5 other planets.

There's a mum joke involving vibrators here somewhere.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

Fueling station for the galaxy's warships?

SkyOdin

What would a civilization do with that amount of energy?
Well, they could be supporting a much, much more populous civilization than ours. The energy could be used for tasks such as rearranging the orbits of planets. Certainly a big possibility is using the energy to send ships out at near-light speeds, a task that demands this scale pf energy.

This is an odd reaction because if nothing else this latest news at least shows the most logical outcome for what is happening is out the window.

Doesn't mean aliens but it also means we really have no fucking clue what's going on with this star.

Maybe its even something crazier than a Class 2 civilization and its a monstrously gigantic alien organism that floats through space eating stars!

What do you think black holes are?

Power a Dyson Sphere

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

Now, up the game from there to all of sun's output, a total of 3.8 x 10^26 W, or
380,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 W. That's about a trillion times more that wll the sunlight earth receives in total, and about a quadrillion times more than all of mankind uses currently. What would a civilization do with that amount of energy?

That's easy:

sega-tower-of-power.jpg

gutshot

weird stuff. wonder if there could be some kind of systematic error that could cause a perceived century long dimming.

I guess we'll know for sure once the paper gets a more thorough review, but the author is quite convinced it is not a measurement error. He measured it both by computer and by eye and came up with the same result. And apparently he is very well respected in the field for doing these types of analyses.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Probably a stupid question, but (how) do we know the obstruction isn't light years away from the star and just happens to be blocking our line of sight?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Even if the light patterns that the star is exhibiting is not a result of alien activity, the fact that we have a chance to discover something new makes me really excited.

The conclusion that it was just some comet debris around the star was a bummer, but this recent revelation got me excited again :)

Ms.Galaxy

tumblr_nk8n4okrSj1ti2g4no1_400.gif

New article
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ain-weird-alien-megastructure-star-after-all/

This star got even weirder in the past few days. This is unprecedented.

All we know is, mathematically, the object behaves like a triangle.

What about those alien megastructures? Schafer is unconvinced. “The alien-megastructure idea runs wrong with my new observations,” he says, as he thinks even advanced aliens wouldn’t be able to build something capable of covering a fifth of a star in just a century.

Thoughts like this are just baffling to me. You don't think aliens you know nothing about, including if they even exist, have technology capable of that? Based on what?

Wellscha

SETI should transmit classic cartoons to that star ( like Tom & Jerry or TMNT). If that's not possible, then radio transmit NPR or Jazz.

Electron entanglement is FTL, and we are slowly learning how to send information through it.

Edit: Missed the travel part. Can't send people through an electron as far as I know.

3phemeral

Electron entanglement is FTL, and we are slowly learning how to send information through it.

Edit: Missed the travel part. Can't send people through an electron as far as I know.

Entanglement also stops once the state of one entangled particle is affected, collapsing the wave function and disentangling them.

Skinpop

for example: send probes to every system in the galaxy . Terraforming. Possibly transmute energy into matter if that is even possible. power supercomputers.

J-Rod

You can't send information through entanglement, though. You have no idea what the result will be until you observe it, and observation breaks the entanglement. Those two things together make it impossible to send usable information. I suspect this isn't from a lack of knowledge and is more likely just how the universe is, because it allows for the weirdness of quantum physics and Einstein's principles to both be correct which holds up with what we see in reality.

You could use entanglement to create undefeatable encryption though. Have person A and B hold some entangled particles. Each particle has two possible outcomes that we interpret as a 1 or 0 bit. Person A observes his, collapsing his and person B's into one state or the other. As person A observes each random bit, he then notes if it is the correct bit he wishes to send or the opposite. He can then communicate that note of information to person B through classical means. If the note is intercepted, it is just a string of random bits that can't be deciphered, but put it together with person B's observation (which by itself is also just a random string of bits) and you have the message.

Mine Bitcoin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom