• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
I know how we would have to travel the stars if the speed of light is a hard limit. Aren't there, theoretically, computers/communication devices that are instantaneous.

Maybe we use those and then we have "transporters" set up when we finally reach a place. Except, they don't actually transport you, they just kill you and an exact duplicate is made at the place you want to go.

I think you're referring to quantum entanglement? Everyone seems convinced that you can't use it to send data but, mmystifyingly, it does seem that two particles can interact with each other faster than light can travel between them. Last time I looked into it, anyway.

I think you're referring to quantum entanglement? Everyone seems convinced that you can't use it to send data but, mmystifyingly, it does seem that two particles can interact with each other faster than light can travel between them. Last time I looked into it, anyway.

IIRC, they've successfully transferred tiny pieces of data.

I've just caught up with Crash Course Astronomy on youtube... I'm loving all the space talk recently <3

I honestly can't imagine it being anything more than the comet theory though, even with it's miniscule chance of occuring, surely when they're looking thousands of lightyears around, they're going to see it eventually.

btrboyev

There's only like 100 million stars in the Milky Way, I mean the alien invasion force would surely zero in on our tiny ass planet which has no evidence of a spacefaring civilization and no natural resources to speak of instead of attacking one of the other 100 million possible star systems.

Humans have quite the collective ego to believe they are even important enough to get exterminated. We're so primitive that we still have nation states, projectile weapons, and can't even travel to the edge of our Solar System in one lifetime. If there are aliens out there they probably couldn't possibly give less of a fuck about us.

Unless the twist is that they created us. cue the jpeg.

Not sure if posted yet but Bad Astronomer (Phil Plait) did a great article on it too. http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astr...ge_dips_in_brightness_are_a_bit_baffling.html

Thank you for the article, it was very informative.

Just what in the world
sorry universe
, could reduce that massive suns light by 22%? That is mind blowing.

We don't know that. You have to consider that that civilization is very close to us in a galactic scale, so it wouldn't be surprising if we are the first sentient life they find even if the galaxy is indeed full of life elsewhere.

Yeah I get your point.

In that case they likely could be interested in contacting us if we were the first species they meet.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I know how we would have to travel the stars if the speed of light is a hard limit. Aren't there, theoretically, computers/communication devices that are instantaneous.

Maybe we use those and then we have "transporters" set up when we finally reach a place. Except, they don't actually transport you, they just kill you and an exact duplicate is made at the place you want to go.

Nope, same problem, no FTL communication. Quantum entanglement can't actually be used to express any information

So, hypothetically, let say it's investigated more and turns out to be looking more and more like an alien civilization. Would it be possible to spend X billion dollars on a space telescope capable of actually viewing something orbiting a star ~1500LY away?

Whatever it is, it has sparked my imagination. What a time to be alive, eh? I am certain that it isn't aliens, but it could be something else that is still very, very cool for us to find.

I am 100% certain that life similar to ours exists somewhere, but keep in mind that 1400 light-years is relatively close. A technologically advanced civilization could be millions of light-years away.

King_Moc

Banned
Acordantly with the article, an object with a diameter half of the star disc! Mindblowing &#128562;.

What. How can this not be a planet? I assume they've seen no gravitational effect from a would be planet on the star? I don't see how there can be that many comets...

What. How can this not be a planet? I assume they've seen no gravitational effect from a would be planet on the star? I don't see how there can be that many comets...

Jupiter size planets only dim the light by ~1%. This object is dimming the light by 22%. This is not a planet.

Not complete solid, as they stated that there are dips and highs within the dips. May be a comet cloud. Or, of course, a miried of collecting mirrors forming a Dyson belt/sphere.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Would be really cool
and scary
if they can ever confirm its an alien structure.

Would be the beginning of a type 2 civilisation, trying to make a dyson sphere or something. They could already have it finished since we see the light 1400 years ago.

You wouldnt want to mess with them :eek:

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Jupiter size planets only dim the light by ~1%. This object is dimming the light by 22%. This is not a planet.

Comet cloud seems ridiculous as well. Wouldn't gravity cause the comets to come together and become a star if they're all so massive?

I'm getting more excited about this. The scientists won't outright say it because of conservatism, but this seems artificial.

We already do this with fiber optics. The problem is sending the data through a space.

Scientists have been able to quantum entangle a photon through space about 25 miles apart which is the current record. This is only one photon. We are a long way from developing quantum internet. But it's looking promising.

raphier

Banned
So, hypothetically, let say it's investigated more and turns out to be looking more and more like an alien civilization. Would it be possible to spend X billion dollars on a space telescope capable of actually viewing something orbiting a star ~1500LY away?

you'd be looking at 1500-4500y. old light. Whatever happened in there happened a long time ago.

Would be really cool
and scary
if they can ever confirm its an alien structure.

Would be the beginning of a type 2 civilisation, trying to make a dyson sphere or something. They could already have it finished since we see the light 1400 years ago.

You wouldnt want to mess with them :eek:

Reading this thread many gaffers want to mess with them for procreation purposes lol.

Acordantly with the article, an object with a diameter half of the star disc! Mindblowing &#128562;.

Yeah really crazy! I wish we had a documentary on this phenomena ready to be watched right now. I'm not sold on comets as a reason either.

The article above conveys that there is no change to infrared light associated with dust near a sun. Plus the comets would nee to be an absurd size to dim the sunlight that much :/

Comet cloud seems ridiculous as well. Wouldn't gravity cause the comets to come together and become a star if they're all so massive?

I'm getting more excited about this. The scientists won't outright say it because of conservatism, but this seems artificial.

Comet cloud is certainly unlikely. However, an alien civilization is far more unlikely.

It's definitely exciting. Fun to think about how the world would react. Would it bring us closer together, or push us apart? Would it become a goal for humanity to strive towards? Would we see them as potential enemies or potential friends? Interesting time to be alive.

Not that massive. Any comet cloud would be less massive than any alien construction anyway.

They are talking about an Oort cloud like that was disturbed by a passing star and felt towards the star. Of course such thing should not be stable, comets would start to melt / fall towards the star. They are saying that we are seeing this exactly moment in time, which would be extremely luckly.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
If these aliens were able to pass the great filter, there may be hope for us yet. We could at least give them a heads up that their dimness is showing.

The James Webb telescope, it's 3 years away from launching.

2559cc53f2ab30617293aedba5197803.jpg

The Technomancer

We already do this with fiber optics. The problem is sending the data through a space.

Scientists have been able to quantum entangle a photon through space about 25 miles apart which is the current record. This is only one photon. We are a long way from developing quantum internet. But it's looking promising.

And used it to send information? Last I checked that was still theoretically impossible; sure you can entangle two particles but you can't manipulate that to transmit any data.

Timeaisis

Must be something huge to cause a 22% reduction in starlight.

Hopefully it's aliens. Maybe it's just something massive, which would still be awesome. I think it's in scientist's best interest to look into this, aliens or not. It's something we've never seen before, whatever it is, and it's worth investigating.

Yamauchi

Banned
What I love about this -- and I know I'm not being original in stating this -- is that this story, regardless of the actual cause of dimming, puts a lot of things into perspecective. Finding evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence would have a much smaller impact on humanity than I had ever assumed. In this case, we'd have to wait 3,000 years for a roundtrip communication (or contact, assuming the aliens decide to visit after getting our message). Maybe humans could visit in 1700 years if we could develop near-SOL travel in ~200 years. It would do nothing to change the Enlightened world's understanding of the universe other than to provide further evidence for various scientific theories already widely accepted relating to the origins of life. It would certainly be a nice boon for space funding in major countries, but beyond that ... I just don't see much.

Not that massive. Any comet cloud would be less massive than any alien construction anyway.

They are talking about an Oort cloud like that was disturbed by a passing star and felt towards the star. Of course such thing should not be stable, comets would start to melt / fall towards the star. They are saying that we are seeing this exactly moment in time, which would be extremely luckly.

How long would that mass of comets last? Is it transient enough that we should be able to observe it shrinking over the next few years?

The Technomancer

Ah, I get why it's confusing, but this isn't actually about transmitting information at faster than light speeds. You still need to send the data encoded by the photons at sublight speeds through a fiber optic cable, its just using some quirks of entanglement for encryption. I think this line in particular is badly worded
Quantum entanglement could allow users to send data through a network and know immediately whether that data had made it to its destination without being intercepted or altered

Ah, I get why it's confusing, but this isn't actually about transmitting information at faster than light speeds. You still need to send the data encoded by the photons at sublight speeds through a fiber optic cable, its just using some quirks of entanglement for encryption. I think this line in particular is badly worded

Hmm.., I see.

I do believe we will find a clever way in the future to use QE to transmit data, be it a decade, or a century, or a millennium from now. Then again I am overly optimistic in these manners.

What I love about this -- and I know I'm not being original in stating this -- is that this story, regardless of the actual cause of dimming, puts a lot of things into perspecective. Finding evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence would have a much smaller impact on humanity than I had ever assumed. In this case, we'd have to wait 3,000 years for a roundtrip communication (or contact, assuming the aliens decide to visit after getting our message). Maybe humans could visit in 1700 years if we could develop near-SOL travel in ~200 years. It would do nothing to change the Enlightened world's understanding of the universe other than to provide further evidence for various scientific theories already widely accepted relating to the origins of life. It would certainly be a nice boon for space funding in major countries, but beyond that ... I just don't see much.

So being able to look up a specific star and have certain knowledge that there is a hyper advanced civilization living in that system does nothing for you?

Tachyon Super Luminosity is the theoretically fastest known travel in the universe.

The slowest these particles could move is the speed of light. But they could, theoretically, reach the same distance, in one year, 2.43 milliseconds FASTER than the speed of light. These particles can move faster as they LOSE energy, through self-propulsion. Energy shoots out one way, which pushes the particle faster the other way.

Harness that type of propulsion, and you can move faster than the speed of light. Easier said than done, of course.

Then, learn how to capture unspent particles in-flight, and you can go anywhere you want in the known universe with virtually unlimited fuel, so long as you swung by a star or black hole every so often to grab more tachyon particles.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I think you're missing the point. The effect it has on 21st century human society is going to look like this:

1. Religious organizations will have to look at dogma and recontextualize it. This will not be trivial. Some will deal and adapt better than others.
2. Like exoplanet tech, our xenoscope tech will explode exponentially. We'll find MORE.
3. We'll have to consider the genuinely terrifying security implications.
4. We'll be forced to unthink our anthropomorphic views: "Why would an intelligent species attack us?" Is a completely stupid question. You don't have to go to space to ask "Does a Spider feel love?"

Nilaul

Ooo this is an interesting question; how big would it have to be?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
How does that work? I can never quite wrap my head around this part.

If for example we've got two communication devices, both are at a distance of 10 light years away from each other. Com device A would see com device B as it was 10 years ago. But if com A sends a message at FTL speeds to com B it should arrive before com A can observe it. Com B can send a message back before com A can observe that the message has arrived, however com A did send the message. Just because com A can't oberserve the message arriving for another 10 years how does this mean that it's automatically time travel?

The answer to your question is that although from A and B's point of view there has been no causality violation (or time travel) there exists an inertial frame of reference C in which there has been. Special Relativity explains exactly how to find such a frame of reference C, and from C's point of view B will have replied before receiving A's message. Even worse, one could find an inertial frame of reference in which A received the reply before sending the message.

Without going into the details of how to find this frame of reference, it's important to note that since all inertial frames of reference are considered equivalent according to relativity, C's observation of a causality violation would be no less legitimate than A's or B's observation of no causality violation.

If you're interested in understanding this issue better, you can read more about relativity of simultaneity here.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I think you're missing the point. The effect it has on 21st century human society is going to look like this:

1. Religious organizations will have to look at dogma and recontextualize it. This will not be trivial. Some will deal and adapt better than others.
2. Like exoplanet tech, our xenoscope tech will explode exponentially. We'll find MORE.
3. We'll have to consider the genuinely terrifying security implications.
4. We'll be forced to unthink our anthropomorphic views: "Why would an intelligent species attack us?" Is a completely stupid question. You don't have to go to space to ask "Does a Spider feel love?"

Exactly. Kepler was looking at a tiny quadrant of space. We need to be checking out our neighborhood ASAP.

I disagree, finding a lifeform more advanced than we are would be a huge wake up call. We are competitive by nature. If we see that someone else can build something like a Dyson ring we're going to want to match or exceed them. Our entire philosophy on life and what it means to be human would change.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Has anyone come up with concept art/visualization to help put into perspective how big the star is and the potential structure orbiting it?

How long would that mass of comets last? Is it transient enough that we should be able to observe it shrinking over the next few years?

Not a clue, it is beyond my limit knowledge. Would like to know too, it should be on the paper. Shame that we are not observing that star anymore.

The answer to your question is that although from A and B's point of view there has been no causality violation (or time travel) there exists an inertial frame of reference C in which there has been. Special Relativity explains exactly how to find such a frame of reference C, and from C's point of view B will have replied before receiving A's message. Even worse, one could find an inertial frame of reference in which A received the reply before sending the message.

Without going into the details of how to find this frame of reference, it's important to note that since all inertial frames of reference are considered equivalent according to relativity, C's observation of a causality violation would be no less legitimate than A's or B's observation of no causality violation.

If you're interested in understanding this issue better, you can read more about relativity of simultaneity here.

I read a lot of science in my spare time as hobby, but reading Einstein's papers on relativity have always been difficult for me to fully grasp. The man was brilliant. I even had a dream once where he tried explaining it to me, hahaha. In the dream I didn't understand it any better, I was just thinking "god damn Einstein."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom