• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

Pikmindictator said:
I had the same problem the first time I played that level. The next time I kicked their asses again.

Is there any reward for collecting all the medals in expert mode? I managed to do this on the N64 and that unlocked something rather interesting but also useless. :p But Expert mode is pretty though. One hit against something and you loose a wing. Imagine Katina with all those tiny ships flying around... yeah :(
I'd really like to know this too. I doubt it would have the same reward as the N64 version
Letting you play as the Star Fox members without vehicles and with giant blasters in multiplayer mode
, but I'm curious if that has been replaced by some other reward. Don't really need to know what; just curious if there's something, like maybe replacing the Arwing models in multiplayer mode with Wolfens instead or something.

Peagles

Wow, just got this for my birthday today... All I can say is...

Impressive Star Fox!

It's a very pretty looking game, and so far is buttery smoooooth...

It'll take me awhile to get used to the slide pad, I think my brain is too focused on the control stick being like a joystick where I pull back to go up and push forward to go down, so the slide pad isn't entirely intuitive, but I'll get used to it I think.

The VOs are not as bad as I thought, which is nice!

watershed

Banned
Peagles said:
Wow, just got this for my birthday today... All I can say is...

Impressive Star Fox!

It's a very pretty looking game, and so far is buttery smoooooth...

It'll take me awhile to get used to the slide pad, I think my brain is too focused on the control stick being like a joystick where I pull back to go up and push forward to go down, so the slide pad isn't entirely intuitive, but I'll get used to it I think.

The VOs are not as bad as I thought, which is nice!
You can still invert the slide pad if you want. You can change it any time by pausing the game.

Picked this up from Target 45 minutes before close...just managed to catch the sale.

Playing in N64 mode, managed to score a medal on my first run of Corneria...the game's like muscle memory.

Peagles

artwalknoon said:
You can still invert the slide pad if you want. You can change it any time by pausing the game.

Yeh I have it inverted. I guess what I'm trying to describe more is difficulty with the "flatness" of the slide pad. I don't feel like I'm pulling back on a joystick but rather like I'm sliding a coin around on a flat surface.

FyreWulff

Teknoman said:
Game looks amazing, I just wish the explosions were in slow motion like the 64 version (intentional or not).

Funny thing about that, Perfect Dark XBLA had a part of it's final title update that slowed all the explosions in the game to be in line with how slow they were on the N64 version.

The faster explosions from the game running at locked 60fps made it REALLY hard to actually use explosive weapons.

The N64 has ruined all of our expectations for how an explosion should behave.

eXistor

This game holds up so well. the revamped graphics are very impressive (3d makes shiny surfaces amazing) and the controls are pitch-perfect. It's been so long since I last played Star Fox 64 I actually forgot a lot of stuff like how to get to the secret missions and such, but it's all coming back to me as I play! It's just the kind of game Nintendo does well: fairly short to blast through, but jam-packed with extra and optional stuff and little details that makes it feel like a very complete package. Though I really do wish Nintendo would just make an all-out new Star Fox again.

Also F-Zero.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Bought this game today and just finished the main campaign which took me couple of hours, not sure if it was worth the £34.99 I paid for it but it's a stunning looking game just very short, that said I'm hoping to get a bit of reliability out of it though, I love piano piece of in the end credits (called 'Credits Theme 2' in the sound test), such a beautiful composition.

With regards to the 3D effect I liked it a lot, more so than in OOT but I think the environments in SF64 lend themselves to 3D much more so than those in OOT, the only quibble I had with the 3D was sometimes I found the ship a little too close to the foreground for my liking but other than that is was great.

Wizpig

lowrider007 said:
Bought this game today and just finished the main campaign which took me couple of hours, not sure if it was worth the £34.99 I paid for it but it's a stunning looking game just very short, that said I'm hoping to get a bit of reliability out of it though, I love piano piece of in the end credits (called 'Credits Theme 2' in the sound test), such a beautiful composition.

With regards to the 3D effect I liked it a lot, more so than in OOT but I think the environments in SF64 lend themselves to 3D much more so than those in OOT, the only quibble I had with the 3D was sometimes I found the ship a little too close to the foreground for my liking but other than that is was great.
Doing it wrong, it's like calling After Burner Climax or Street Fighter II "short".

That said, oh how much i hate doing a pretty much perfect run on Hard and then failing at the end.
I fucking hate you, Area 6. i don't give a **** about your new ship, Pigma.

This game is still a masterpiece.
Zoness why u so good.

Tom_Cody

Although I enjoy the 3D revamped visuals, I can't help but yearn for Wii U remake whenever I boot this up. I always want to be playing this on my HD tv instead of my 3DS.

Some genres are just better suited to portable gaming I guess.

Tom_Cody

Tom_Cody said:
Although I enjoy the 3D revamped visuals, I can't help but yearn for Wii U remake whenever I boot this up. I always want to be playing this on my HD tv instead of my 3DS.

I just played Macbeth and Venom last night and I think I need to walk back my comments. The 3D is fantastic in both of those levels. I think it is just less suited to the wide open areas. Macbeth especially was a totally engrossing experience.

Wizpig

You are still right on the point of this being a home-console game: it's where it was born.
I criticized things like God of War on the PSP, now i criticize Paper Mario 3DS and Luigi 2 etc.

But still, I'm happy this came out on the 3DS because the 3D looks very good, and Q-Games made an excellent job as they did on Command.

Also
Nintendo: Why Star Fox 64 3D isn't online
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/30710/nintendo-why-star-fox-64-3d-isnt-online/

CaVaYeRo

Guys, I'm enjoying this one even more than the original!

I was so young I didn't actually realized the combo system :lol

Are you keeping track of records? Just earned Corneria Gold medal with 194 hits after two days of just re-playing that mission! Since Gold medals require a lot more hits now, this is going to be really fun for me :)

Gravijah

I wish they hadn't made Expert Mode so annoying to unlock. The game is too easy and I want more of a challenge without having to replay the levels a billion times. :/

Madao

Peagles said:
Yeh I have it inverted. I guess what I'm trying to describe more is difficulty with the "flatness" of the slide pad. I don't feel like I'm pulling back on a joystick but rather like I'm sliding a coin around on a flat surface.

i know the feeling. for a bit i thought the thing wasn't inverted.

Is it just me or did they ramp up the difficulty of the Star Wolf encounters? I think it took me like 20 minutes last time to get through 'em on the hard Venom path.

Maybe it's just the smaller screen making them harder to spot.

Tom_Cody said:

For fuck's sake can we stop remaking and re-releasing this game and just get a new Star Fox title already?

CaVaYeRo

CaVaYeRo said:
Guys, I'm enjoying this one even more than the original!

I was so young I didn't actually realized the combo system :lol

Are you keeping track of records? Just earned Corneria Gold medal with 194 hits after two days of just re-playing that mission! Since Gold medals require a lot more hits now, this is going to be really fun for me :)

Updated: Corneria - 198 hits (N64 mode)

Nobody up to the challenge?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Billychu said:
3DS or N64 mode? N64 mode seems the same. 3DS mode is a lot easier.
Both? I bested my first play through on the N64 mode without losing a single life and I remember having a hard time when I was a kid.

Lonely1 said:
Both? I bested my first play through on the N64 mode without losing a single life and I remember having a hard time when I was a kid.

I felt the same way. I think I just must have been a sucky player as a kid.

watershed

Banned
This game has turned out to be better than I thought. I find myself playing a few levels here and there just because they are really fun to play. Its become my new pick up and play 3ds game.

I've got al the medals on 3DS, N64 and Expert modes.

You get a new title screen :-\

Still a great game to this day and with enhanced graphics and 3d, even better :)

FyreWulff

TSAGoodness said:
I'm so bad at this, I'm having the hardest time ever hitting all the warp points in Meteos, any tips?

I have the same problem. I can hit those warps in my sleep on the N64 version and only my youngest brother has yet to pull off the warp on the 3DS.

You definitely need to use L/R to turn faster in the 3DS version to hit them.

Boney

Banned
TSAGoodness said:
I'm so bad at this, I'm having the hardest time ever hitting all the warp points in Meteos, any tips?
hold L when going left and R when going right.

They still let you turn faster.

watershed

Banned
TSAGoodness said:
I have the same problem, I haven't been able to hit all the warps yet. But I just popped Star Fox 64 into my N64 the other day and did it first try! I blame the slide pad, or the 3ds as a whole.

FyreWulff

artwalknoon said:
I have the same problem, I haven't been able to hit all the warps yet. But I just popped Star Fox 64 into my N64 the other day and did it first try! I blame the slide pad, or the 3ds as a whole.

I think after a while it will become easier. Starfox 64 came out well after the N64 launch so we were more comfortable with the control setup by the time it launched, and even then it took a few months before I could hit that damn warp reliably.

Tom_Cody

artwalknoon said:
This game has turned out to be better than I thought. I find myself playing a few levels here and there just because they are really fun to play. Its become my new pick up and play 3ds game.
Same with me. I find myself playing a few levels every night before I go to bed. For whatever reason I had never really enjoyed replaying missions during the brief time I spent with the original, yet now I'm really in a score attack groove. It's just so much fun. I'm reminded of my favorite pick up and play games of the past like crazy taxi.

I feel like the circle pad is way too sensitive for this game. Well at least comparing to the N64 analog. Other than that, it's goddamn amazing.

CaVaYeRo

I loved earning the gold medal in Katina. Not as good as my 198 Corneria, but I did 195 in Katina and I think I can improve :p

Tom_Cody

OGlhs.jpg

Se5o8.jpg

o9haI.jpg

4s0oF.jpg

I continue to enjoy this game more each time I play it. Even the throw away enemies are so nicely detailed.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Where are those concept art pieces from? They look awesome.

Completed Normal and Expert with all Medals. Just did one run through on Nintendo 64 mode and secured Medals on the 'hard route'. Fifteen hours playtime. I love this game! <3

Tom_Cody

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/starfox/0/5

I was recently reading the Iwata asks for SF643D and I was struck by this little bit:

Iwata: After you got that call from Miyamoto-san, what was on your mind as you began?

Dylan: The idea was to faithfully recreate the contents of Star Fox 64. I did want to concentrate on improving the graphics, so I made thorough use of normal mapping.

Iwata: Normal mapping is also called dot3 bump mapping. It’s a technology for adding shading to planes so they appear to have irregularities. The technology was not available in the days of the Nintendo 64 system.

Dylan: Correct. If you use normal mapping, it looks much more impressive on the Nintendo 3DS system —because of its stereoscopic 3D—than on any other system.
I think this is definitely true. I think normal mapping, in addition to shading, are the two most pleasing graphical improvements in the 3DS version. Normal mapping is probably the thing I most appreciate about about having the 3D slider turned up, probably even more so than depth.

Is this just common knowledge about the 3DS's graphic capabilities? Do any other 3DS games use normal mapping this well? The only other game I have is Pilot Wings, and Zelda doesn't seem to (from what I've seen).

Chao

TSAGoodness said:
It's really easy. The only important thing you have to do is start moving towards the next ring BEFORE you hit the one you have in front of you. If you are about to go through one in the right, start moving left before you hit it (be careful or you could miss it) and then your ship will be already moving to the left and you will reach the next ring easily.

This game would have had to try pretty hard to fail. I love how faithfully they've recreated the original (the voice actors don't just sound the same, they even deliver their lines with the same infliction), and the extra bits they've added to really make this a 'pick-up and play' experience befitting a portable game definitely work. Score attack ftw!

The only thing I was bemoaning before was the complete absence of the Lylat language, though I was quite pleased to see that they included four other languages. Near as I recall, the original only had voice acting in English or Lylat, with other languages in text only. Now, I was able to wage a sort of crappy Star Fox Olympics on Corneria. In case you're wondering, German Fox edged out English Fox by one hit for the gold medal. Italian Fox was a distant third, while Spanish and French Fox had to settle for fourth and fifth, respectively.

I wish 3DS supported Japanese so I could have listened to the original VAs, but hey, I at least got to hear Italian Fox yell 'Rock 'n' roll, ragazzi!'

CaVaYeRo

Pretty interesting normal maps quotes ;)

CaVaYeRo said:
205 in Corneria! And I think I can get 3-4 hits more :p

I'll try and edit a little video about it ^^

And I could: 210 hits gold medal in Corneria, N64 mode. It can be a bit improved, though :p

Tom_Cody

I just finished getting all the silver medals in score attack mode (N64) and I am now considering moving back to the main game to get those medals in order to unlock expert. Here's my question: going forward, which mode should I put the most effort into for chasing records? Everyone in this thread seems to stick to N64 mode. Are the extra challenges of Expert mode merely distracting?

Basically I am wondering if I should just stick where I am now with score attack on N64 or if I should go through the trouble of unlocking expert in order to plug away there. Which is the truest version (so to speak) of the game

Top Bottom