• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

Chet Rippo said:
You can change the button layout.
Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Still baffling why they would change the default after every SF since the first one has been the same. And then, who uses "A" to shoot? Only RPGs use that button main actions. Strange.

I actually kind of like the default, you can boost while you shoot. However, the N64 one makes it way easier to do lock on bomb shots. Default you have to pull a weird finger stretch move to make that happen, lol.

Emitan

I think both control choices are identical the choices in the original Star Fox on SNES, but I'm too lazy to load up my copy and check.

MisterAnderson said:
I actually kind of like the default, you can boost while you shoot. However, the N64 one makes it way easier to do lock on bomb shots. Default you have to pull a weird finger stretch move to make that happen, lol.

You can release the shoot button and remain locked on...

FyreWulff

Billychu said:
I think both control choices are identical the choices in the original Star Fox on SNES, but I'm too lazy to load up my copy and check.

Yeah, it's something like that. on the 3DS, B and Y become N64 A and B, and Y and A are the functions of C left and C down.

I like how they still use the C Right graphic for incoming transmissions.

HiVision said:
Great to hear everyone is enjoying the 64 remake we made for the 3DS, we put a lot of love and polish into it and in stages such as Zoness or Macbeth you can really see the fruits of our effort.

Thanks to you and your team for making a so great game. Loved the original, but this one is just amazing, all then little details you have put in it.

I hope theres a next star fox and you resurrect some of the ideas that command had (like the multiple ships) and add them to a bigger star fox 64 type game.

sfried

I have an idea for Mr. Cuthbert's team: I wish they could revive Nintendo long forgotten Super Scope franchises like Space Bazooka/Battle Clash and its sequel Metal Combat along with that LazerBlazer mini-games from the Super Scope 6 collection. Seeing how Q-Games does space combat so well, it would only make sense their next project to involve giant robot combat or something like mothership to mothership (and expand on these games concept of shooting+aiming). Seeing how there are fewer and fewer action space sims are out there in the market I hope they could spearhead a revival.
FyreWulff said:
I like how they still use the C Right graphic for incoming transmissions.
Wasn't it C-Up?

Dark Octave said:
Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Still baffling why they would change the default after every SF since the first one has been the same. And then, who uses "A" to shoot? Only RPGs use that button main actions. Strange.
What do you mean? Wasn't "A" the shoot button in the original N64 game? Haven't played the actual N64 version in ages, but wasn't it A=Laser, B=Bomb, and C-buttons for breaking/boosting?

FyreWulff

sfried said:
I have an idea for Mr. Cuthbert's team: I wish they could revive Nintendo long forgotten Super Scope franchises like Space Bazooka/Battle Clash and its sequel Metal Combat along with that LazerBlazer mini-games from the Super Scope 6 collection. Seeing how Q-Games does space combat so well, it would only make sense their next project to involve giant robot combat or something like mothership to mothership (and expand on these games concept of shooting+aiming). Seeing how there are fewer and fewer action space sims are out there in the market I hope they could spearhead a revival.

Wasn't it C-Up?

C Up was viewpoint switch

C Left - Boost

C Down - Brake

C Right - Transmissions

C Up - Switch viewpoints

HiVision

Fernando Rocker said:
HiVision

Can you answer my question about patching, please? Is it technically possible to add extra functionality to 3DS games just like the 360 and PS3?

I can't answer specific questions like that, I have an NDA to preserve :)

Emitan

MisterAnderson said:
What's the difference between "3DS mode" and the "N64 mode"? Is it just difficulty?
Difficulty I think. The only changes I've noticed are Solar not draining your shields if you're high enough and the final boss having about half of it's normal health.

Pyrokai

Mister Wilhelm said:
Played through it for the first time las night.

HOLY SHIT at the slowdown during the water level. I know the N64 level was a little dragass too, but the level just doesn't work at all on 3DS.

The slow down is actually intentional to emulate exactly how the same gameplay experience of the N64.

Billychu said:
Difficulty I think. The only changes I've noticed are Solar not draining your shields if you're high enough and the final boss having about half of it's normal health.

Katt and company also doesnt destroy the missiles in the 6 missile mission (or are much slower) and the game gives you more objects.

Thoraxes

Bit.Trip did not appear at Target (my friend wanted the 50% and wanted Bit.Trip, I wanted Starfox!) so i've gotten my other friend who wants a copy and we're going to pick up two copies of Starfox 3D tomorrow.

I remember standing in front of my TV, proud of my certificate that the game (Starfox 64) displayed when I beat it for the first time, and I took a picture of me standing next to it! I'm so happy to pick this up soon.

@MUWANdo

Banned
HiVision said:
yes, it's my secret neogaf account.

Whoa, cool! SF643D is gorgeous and just as fun as I remembered, nice work! Pity you didn't follow through with online play, but I'm sure it wasn't your call.

I don't know if you'd be able to help me, but since you're here I've gotta ask... is there any chance of X coming to the 3DS VC outside of Japan? The VC seems like the perfect platform to release some of those old/obscure Japan-only games to a wider audience for the first time, and X seems like an obvious choice for such a release - it's a notable milestone title for many reasons (your first game, Totaka's first game, first "3D" GB game), it's the prequel to X-Scape, and it hasn't been fan-translated like some of the other Japan-only stuff so this would be the only real way most of the world will ever experience it.

Who should we be directing our requests to in order to make this happen? I figure NOJ makes all the decisions about this stuff, but is there someone that we English-speaking people can talk to that might be able to encourage Nintendo to release more Japan-only legacy titles internationally (or at least acknowledge our requests?)

GeekyDad

Kinda disappointed overall. Still a decent game, with some parts still great fun. But on the whole, it hasn't aged well. The visuals are very impressive, though.

I got it yesterday and I'm already kinda bored with it. I can replay certain games over and over (over 70 hours into Mercs 3D), but this just feels so dated to me. Unlike OoT, this one needed more than just a cosmetic facelift.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've put about 10 hours into the game now, just unlocked Expert Mode. I think it's one of the Nintendo 64 titles that has aged well. Solid rail / scrolling shooters don't really age in the same way that other PS/N64 title area titles do, and the graphical updates are really well done.

I do feel badly for the people that were expecting a longer, more varied experience. The game is all about hidden routes, high scores, and medals in the end. Hopefully after people get over the 'only 15 planets' aspect, they can enjoy shooting for medals and score attack.

Bought the game this morning and just got to Venom. I think it's pretty great, I feel like I have to eat some crow for making light of the whining that went on over the Silent Hill collection's new voice actors since I do miss the original Star Fox 64 voices, but other than that, it's still a really fun game.

I'm a little disappointed at how much my SF64 skills have atrophied. I got to Aquarius and died twice this morning (those exploding starfish at the end do a ton of damage), and I just got home from class and Andross is a lot harder than I remember him being. Killing the eyeballs is simple, but as soon as they're gone, he's right on my ass the whole time. I'll get into a good rhythm of hitting him a few times, shooting the main part so he teleports, do a 180 degree turn, and repeat, but if he teleports to either side it's really hard to get at him. Turning sharply ends with me ending up in the tentacles more often than not, and if I do a 180 I usually just fly through since he's so close.

Just picked it up and did the first 3 missions. I've never played Star Fox 64 but I think this would benefit from a bigger 3DS screen. Would make it a bit easier to see in my opinion, but maybe I'm just tired.

I like it, I'll probably finish it over the weekend.

elektrixx

Banned
My only issue with the game is the different sounding, childhood memory altering voices.

Damn the water looks good. Damn the lava looks great.

I beat Andross like five minutes after that last post. It felt like cheating but I just ended up using a few bombs.

I feel really stupid for somehow missing this, but I never realized as a kid that you get more points for killing groups of enemies with the charged laser. It's going to be fun playing through again with that in mind.

I just played through the all-blue path, and I had totally forgotten about the mini-boss on Venom. That Venom is actually much more fun than the Star Wolf fight you get on the hard path. I think as a kid once I found out how to get the real ending I didn't see the point of doing the easy Venom, but it's a decent level.

I've been itching for a good flight game in a long time. The game may seem expensive at $40 for a few hours of play, but the controls are so great and the levels so well designed I know I'm going to be popping this in for a playthrough or two at least once a month. Can't wait to do an all-red run later tonight.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm up to nearly 10 hours, and I just unlocked Expert Mode. I'm expecting around 20 hours before I put the title down for a while. But just like the original on the 64, it'll one of my go-to pick up and play titles when I need to kill time.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bought it yesterday.
I've got to see 3 stores before finding it... never though something like that could happen in freaking Taranto, in Southern Italy.
In fact, I was thinking "Oh well, let's go to buy it wherever I want, since almost no one will buy it here..."... but I was VERY wrong: in 2 of the 3 stores where I went it was sold out :lol
However... VERY addicting.
I've tried both modes, but I haven't tried gyroscopes controles yet...because 3D is so good here and I don't want to ruin it, while in Zelda 3D and gyroscopes were good friends.
And...one last thing.
Dedicated to everyone saying 3DS is just a PSP/Dreamcast/N64/Zeebo.

ZONESS.
DAT WATER.
BEAUTIFUL.

Mpl90 said:
Bought it yesterday.
I've got to see 3 stores before finding it... never though something like that could happen in freaking Taranto, in Southern Italy.
In fact, I was thinking "Oh well, let's go to buy it wherever I want, since almost no one will buy it here..."... but I was VERY wrong: in 2 of the 3 stores where I went it was sold out :lol
However... VERY addicting.
I've tried both modes, but I haven't tried gyroscopes controles yet...because 3D is so good here and I don't want to ruin it, while in Zelda 3D and gyroscopes were good friends.
And...one last thing.
Dedicated to everyone saying 3DS is just a PSP/Dreamcast/N64/Zeebo.

ZONESS.
DAT WATER.
BEAUTIFUL.

Yeah true. No doubt, it's some of the best water (albeit toxic!) effects I've ever seen in a game on any console.

Overall, I'd say it's currently the 2nd best looking game that's out on the 3DS at the mo (Resident Evil Mercenaries is No 1 by quite a bit though)

antonz

Bought it the other day and have to say its the game I remember. Put lots of hours into it on the N64 and I am sure I will on the 3DS.

Thoraxes

isoku said:
Could you tell us why wifi is disabled for this game as well as OoT3D?
I'm not sure why/how people have this problem. It works for me just fine. I made a video too, demonstrating just that for you all. Maybe it's certain 3DS systems with that problem or maybe you have different firmware or something? I'm just baffled why others have this problem. I'm on the latest as of right now, and as you see, it works just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xLUeGJ8sq4

OMG Aero

Thoraxes said:
I'm not sure why/how people have this problem. It works for me just fine. I made a video too, demonstrating just that for you all. Maybe it's certain 3DS systems with that problem or maybe you have different firmware or something? I'm just baffled why others have this problem. I'm on the latest as of right now, and as you see, it works just fine.

But do other people see you online while you are actually playing the game?
Notice how you appear as offline when you first open the friends list and it takes a few seconds for it to say you are online. I think that while you are actually playing the game you are marked as offline in the friends list until you either quit the game or pause the game with the home menu. That's the problem people are talking about.

Thoraxes

OMG Aero said:
But do other people see you online while you are actually playing the game?
Notice how you appear as offline when you first open the friends list and it takes a few seconds for it to say you are online. I think that while you are actually playing the game you are marked as offline in the friends list until you either quit the game or pause the game with the home menu. That's the problem people are talking about.
I asked my friend and he said he could see me fine. I thought the problem was refering to that one post the guy made about wi-fi not turning on at all while playing the game, which for some people it was not.

FyreWulff

Thoraxes said:

Reporting the same here. Wifi works fine while Starfox is being played and suspended.

B.K.

I'm stuck on Venom fighting
Star Wolf.
Falco and Sippy are broken down, so it's just Fox and Peppy. I've tried five or six times and can't beat the level. I don't remember it being this though in the 64 version.

qq more

Thoraxes said:

Just gave it another try. It works now but to be online, I think you actually have to suspend the game for a minute or so, then you'll stay online while playing the game.

It is very weird.

B.K. said:
I'm stuck on Venom fighting
Star Wolf.
Falco and Sippy are broken down, so it's just Fox and Peppy. I've tried five or six times and can't beat the level. I don't remember it being this though in the 64 version.

I had the same problem the first time I played that level. The next time I kicked their asses again.

Is there any reward for collecting all the medals in expert mode? I managed to do this on the N64 and that unlocked something rather interesting but also useless. :p But Expert mode is pretty though. One hit against something and you loose a wing. Imagine Katina with all those tiny ships flying around... yeah :(

Top Bottom