• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

CaVaYeRo

Tom_Cody said:
I just finished getting all the silver medals in score attack mode (N64) and I am now considering moving back to the main game to get those medals in order to unlock expert. Here's my question: going forward, which mode should I put the most effort into for chasing records? Everyone in this thread seems to stick to N64 mode. Are the extra challenges of Expert mode merely distracting?

Basically I am wondering if I should just stick where I am now with score attack on N64 or if I should go through the trouble of unlocking expert in order to plug away there. Which is the truest version (so to speak) of the game

I completely know what you mean, felt sth like that.

I scored some good gold medals in score attack - N64, then did what you say: completing adventure mode and unlocking Expert.

To be honest, I think there's much more fun to be found if you stick to score attack on N64 for some more time. I believe you enjoy enemy patterns and level design much more if you aren't concerned about being hit and losing a wing.

In N64 Score Attack, some gold medals will still require 5-6 attempts, and if you think about it, I guess it's the way it's meant to be played, it's the truest version, IMHO. And Expert adventure is kind of boring when you just earned every medal and not that difficult for medals, since there are a lot more enemies...

So yeah, N64 adventure or score attack is the truest version.

BTW: Corneria N64 mode gold medal record updated to 212 hits :)

Tom_Cody

CaVaYeRo said:
I completely know what you mean, felt sth like that.

I scored some good gold medals in score attack - N64, then did what you say: completing adventure mode and unlocking Expert.

To be honest, I think there's much more fun to be found if you stick to score attack on N64 for some more time. I believe you enjoy enemy patterns and level design much more if you aren't concerned about being hit and losing a wing.

In N64 Score Attack, some gold medals will still require 5-6 attempts, and if you think about it, I guess it's the way it's meant to be played, it's the truest version, IMHO. And Expert adventure is kind of boring when you just earned every medal and not that difficult for medals, since there are a lot more enemies...

So yeah, N64 adventure or score attack is the truest version.

BTW: Corneria N64 mode gold medal record updated to 212 hits :)
Thanks, you answered my question perfectly. I wasn't sure if my post would make sense to anyone else when I submitted it, so I'm relieved that you understood me.

Since I want to 100% this, I'm going back to clear out 3DS mode before going forward. I have 1 medal left in Campaign mode (Titania) and then I may or may not go for 3DS score attack medals. Basically I decided that I wanted to further familiarize myself with the levels before killing myself going after the N64 golds. Once I'm done with that, assuming I'm not sick of the game yet, I will head into expert.

CaVaYeRo

Great! See you here when you go after those Score Attack gold medals :)

It seems there's almost no interest on that, but it's really rewarding!

Cheska

So I picked this game up as part of the B2G1 deal at TRU last week.

As someone who played very little of the original, and barely remembers much of that bare bones playthrough, I am ecstatic about this game.

First of all, it's very pleasing on the eyes. From the screens and videos I saw, it looked okay, but seeing it first hand is a completely different story.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the gyro controls, I much prefer the analog (which works wonderfully IMO).

I've only done a few missions, and I know it gets harder as you go on, but this is the most fun I've had with a 3DS game yet.

Chao

CaVaYeRo said:

Are you the same CaVaYeRo (or Kabayero) from my twitter timeline?
I am el_fa

CaVaYeRo

Haha nope, no Twitter account yet. But I'll bite soon, that's for sure.

BTW, just made 164 gold medal in Aquas. I thought it was going to be way more difficult, for that world is really uncomfortable for me.

Next up: Sector Y - that sounds hard, too.

Tom_Cody

CaVaYeRo said:

My current totals for N64 mode Score Attack:

Corneria: 157 Siver
Meteo: 280 Silver
Sector Y: 186 Gold
Katina: 169 Silver
Fichina: 66 Gold
Aquas: 150 Silver
Solar: 100 Silver
Sector X: 235 Gold
Zoness: 263 Silver
Titania: 167 Silver
Sector Z: 104 Silver
Macbeth: 186 Gold
Area 6: 304 Silver
Bolse: 194 Gold
Venom 1: 177 Silver
Venom 2: 207 Silver

They did a really good job setting the Gold Medal hit requirements IMO. While I can understand why the original medals totals are what they are, now that there is a dedicated score attack mode the new gold totals make a lot more sense.

I feel like I'm really getting as much out of each of the levels as I can. I continue to enjoy playing these levels so I'm happy that I have a new higher bar to reach. It only took about me 3-4 plays per level to get the silvers and now I still have something to strive for.

Been playing this game more than 20 hours. Is my favourite 3ds game, thanks nintendo/Q games.
Beated 3ds mode and Hard mode with all the medals, now in only need three more medals in n64 to get the second title screen.

Gold score attack medals really kick you in the ass.

Nocturnowl said:
Woah, there was no need to press R twice in this case!

You can also put "Z or R twice" and it also works.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
You can also put "Z or R twice" and it also works.
this one humors me even more.
Trying to get the medal on Aquas halted my medal run through on this version, I just can't do it, the stage feels so much more annoying in this version.

Nocturnowl said:
this one humors me even more.
Trying to get the medal on Aquas halted my medal run through on this version, I just can't do it, the stage feels so much more annoying in this version.

I never had too much problem getting the medal in Aquas in any of the three modes.

Boney

Banned
You know after trying the expanded multiplayer it's a god damn shame there's no online mode, cause it could be pretty fun.

A team based 4 vs 4 dogfights would be amazing.

Yuterald

Just started to check out score attack mode and it's crazy demanding! I got all the medals back in the N64 days both on the normal and expert game, but these medal requirements make you play the game in a COMPLETELY different way. I retried sooooo many times on just Corneria 3DS mode to get my gold medal, and I barely got it with like a score of 192 or something. You clearly have to know enemy spawn/placements and manual charge shots are a essential. I don't remember playing like this back in the day!

I would like to get Gold Medals on everything, but it looks like it's going to be a difficult road. Such a cool mode though, it really makes you appreciate the level design and mechanics on a much deeper level.

CaVaYeRo

Yuterald said:
I would like to get Gold Medals on everything, but it looks like it's going to be a difficult road. Such a cool mode though, it really makes you appreciate the level design and mechanics on a much deeper level.

We just have to spread the word on its awesomeness!

Yuterald

CaVaYeRo said:
We just have to spread the word on its awesomeness!

True that. I only have Gold on Corneria 3DS and N64 mode, but I'm going back through the regular game unlocking all the Shiny Medals first so I can just concentrate on Score Attack. I forgot how much I loved this game. Played through it 4 times this morning and I'm getting the urge for a few more runs, lol!

You REALLY have to memorize enemy spawns and take advantage of manual charge shot spams to get those Golds though. This seems like a really, really demanding task. CaVaYeRo, have you gotten all 48 Gold Medals?

jwhit28

Rumble has always felt like a throw away gimmick to me, but I have to say I really miss it in Starfox 64. The end of boss explosion just isn't the same.

Socreges

Banned
So how do I get the medals? Only through score attack or in the main mode as well? Are medals just determined by how many enemies I kill?

Boney

Banned
So how do I get the medals? Only through score attack or in the main mode as well? Are medals just determined by how many enemies I kill?

you gotta have enough score and not have any team mate die on the mission

try doing charged shots to get the most score possible

they're in the main mode

Unicorn

I finally played this game for the first time last night. I mean, I played the game back when it released on N64, but only in a Target for about 10 minutes.

Holy fuck was this fun. It was like a mix between Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTS (VERY GOOD in my book). But, when I fought Andross, I was just thinking, "This is a troll fight, he'll run away and I'll get another screen with more areas to play through. Then the credits rolled.

LLShC.gif

I was a bit bitter at first, but considering this is meant for replays, it is so polished, and the levels and commentary is so, I don't know the word, condensed.. It really is a case of "no fat to trim."

Each level has its own charm and quirks to make it stand out and make you want to replay and the branching paths based on performance are a really great idea.

I'm a little let down there isn't a leaderboard for you to compare your score attacks with friends and the world, and I feel any game that has that game mode is severely lacking and flat if there is no way to share that information or brag about it. Madworld was the same way.

Also, I feel little incentive to replay the game over and over as there isn't a neat final unlockable
just a title screen change
. Not to say I wouldn't replay levels because they are just so beautifully crafted.

Overall, I'm glad I finally got to play this game, since my only real experience apart from failing at the SNES version as a kid is playing through the DS game once to completion and felt it was pretty average. I don't know if I would recommend it to someone at full price though (I got it through a b2g1f deal) but for someone that has no prior experience with the game and can get it for $20 or so, it is quite the experience.

Socreges

Banned
you gotta have enough score and not have any team mate die on the mission

try doing charged shots to get the most score possible

they're in the main mode
Hmmm, I've been doing it in score attack. I guess the main mode has different medals.

So I made it to
'hard' Venom, where you fight Star Wolf and his crew for the second time. I've got 12 lives since I've done well, but Slippy and Peppy went down in the last mission so they're not around. This means that I've got three of these guys on my ass while the fourth chases Falco. I've died four times now without killing even one of their guys. Am I fucked ? Sucks that if I'd died in the previous mission and started at the checkpoint, I'd have the three of them with me... But because I beat it in one go, I'm severely handicapped.

My dogfighting skills aren't even that bad, but I fully expect to die eight more times and have to start over.

This is a wonderful game! Played it for the first time on 3DS and it's so gooood.

Just got all the medals in story 3DS mode and have all silver and a couple of golden in score attack 3DS mode. Right now I'm just gonna focus on getting all the golden medals in score attack and then I'll move on to the Nintendo 64 mode.

This game takes a lot of time to complete. The people who are complaining about it being too short just aren't experiencing the game as it was intended to. Maybe it's not your type of game, but I'm loving it.

Boney

Banned
This is a wonderful game! Played it for the first time on 3DS and it's so gooood.

Just got all the medals in story 3DS mode and have all silver and a couple of golden in score attack 3DS mode. Right now I'm just gonna focus on getting all the golden medals in score attack and then I'll move on to the Nintendo 64 mode.

This game takes a lot of time to complete. The people who are complaining about it being too short just aren't experiencing the game as it was intended to. Maybe it's not your type of game, but I'm loving it.

that's not something I'd recommend doing...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't find an answer in the OP...
I'm finally (damn my backlog) back on playing Starfox 3DS and LOVING it! Game looks, plays and sounds great and the 3D effect is really good.
Couple of questions tho: how can I play both modes without deleting my save? I mean it let me decide at the start if I wanted to go 3DS mode or N64 mode, but it tells me it'll delete my save if I start a new campaign... what am I missing? Do I have to beat the game first? Will I also be able to choose different paths or I need to redo the campaign each time even if I'm only missing just one stage branch?

Top Bottom