• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

Played through it for the first time las night.

HOLY SHIT at the slowdown during the water level. I know the N64 level was a little dragass too, but the level just doesn't work at all on 3DS.

HiVision

There's no slowdown due to hardware limitations - we simple matched it to the N64 version. You're underwater so everything is designed to be slower moving.

Chao

HiVision said:
There's no slowdown due to hardware limitations - we simple matched it to the N64 version. You're underwater so everything is designed to be slower moving.
Yeah, I never had a problem with that. You are supposed to move slow underwater. One of my favorite levels btw.

Diortem7

HiVision said:
This is one of the bosses I created in the original SNES starfox - to show off the oh-so-advanced technology of "texture scrolling" (the slots). Textures were very "new" for home consoles back then so we tried a lot to showcase even such basic features as this.

Great to hear everyone is enjoying the 64 remake we made for the 3DS, we put a lot of love and polish into it and in stages such as Zoness or Macbeth you can really see the fruits of our effort.
You guys really did a fantastic job. I couldn't be anymore pleased. I hope you consider reusing the engine for a sequel. I think Star Fox is a perfect fit for handhelds and 3D. I'd love to have more Star Fox on the 3DS.

Emitan

dwu8991 said:
They are supporting online this gen with Mario Kart. I think it was a decision very early on not to include online multi player and instead focused on putting out a good product.
If you look at Street Fighter or Dead or Alive, they've clearly made short cuts just to include online play. Like sub 30 fps, lag, static background.
SSFIV runs at 60 FPS. You need to turn the 3D off.

sfried

walking fiend said:
not in online, I believe
I had a couple of plays where it was 60fps. You just got to have the lucky ones that have the 3D disabled via option menu screen.

Star Fox bot multiplayer is pretty fun too.

HiVision

Can you answer my question about patching, please? Is it technically possible to add extra functionality to 3DS games just like the 360 and PS3?

Are there minigames included, or anything that puts a fun spin on replaying the SP levels (like upgraded weapons or graphics filters)?

Basically is this going to be a 3 hour game with "replay value" consisting of basically just time trials? I am considering buying this but don't have any friends to local multiplay with.

The Lamonster said:
Are there minigames included, or anything that puts a fun spin on replaying the SP levels (like upgraded weapons or graphics filters)?

Basically is this going to be a 3 hour game with "replay value" consisting of basically just time trials? I am considering buying this but don't have any friends to local multiplay with.
You can play multiplayer against bots if you don't have any friends to play with. There are three modes to that: survival (be the last one alive), point battle (be the first person to get a certain number of kills), and time battle (Like point battle, but timed instead of going for a certain number of kills), which all share the same four map choices. The bots have adjustable difficulty settings and you can also do stuff like toggle the new items for it on and off.

Beyond that though, this mostly is a score-attack game. The replay value, once you've played through the game at least three times to have visited every planet (and even then, there's still stuff like hidden warps and the like you can find and take to unlock other possible routes), mostly comes from getting the highest score in each planet possible. Getting a medal (obtained by getting a designated number of kills, without letting any of your teammates die) on every planet will unlock an Expert mode, for more difficulty (and gives Fox a pair of sunglasses).

If it's anything like the original, doing stuff like that will also unlock some tidibts in the multiplayer mode, but I haven't completed getting the medals yet, so I can't confirm if that's still the case, nor have I really heard about that from anyone else (based on what the menu looks like to start with though, it looks unlikely, which is kind of disappointing to me, as messing around with them was one of my favorite things about the original multiplayer).

Randum

Neo Member
I just finished this game last night, and looks like it was about an hour and 45min. A lot shorter than I anticipated, but the game was a lot of fun. I just really enjoy the game.

I'll be playing through the normal 64 version and attempting the medals.

The online play lacking is a bit disappointing,but I'll give the bot battles a chance.

Definitely one of the best title's I've played on the 3ds so far.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fernando Rocker said:
HiVision

Can you answer my question about patching, please? Is it technically possible to add extra functionality to 3DS games just like the 360 and PS3?

It's technically possible, it's just Nintendo policy that would stand in the way. Although they claim they're 'open to things like DLC, they just don't release content like that themselves'.

So is it really the same voice cast as the original? Most of them sound the same except for Peppy and Andross. Where did it say that it was the same people?

Medalion

Banned
I think there are some spots where they straight up pulled the stuff from the original game, in particular Pepper and the intro narrator (not the trainer guy)

Emitan

Half the characters were done by one guy, so it probably wasn't very hard. The Soldier and either the Sniper or the Engineer from TF2 make up the majority of the cast.

FyreWulff

Medalion said:
I think there are some spots where they straight up pulled the stuff from the original game, in particular Pepper and the intro narrator (not the trainer guy)

I thought the Narrator was re-used, but his timing is different in a couple of places. It's probably the voice actor's natural voice.

ShironRedshift said:
You can play multiplayer against bots if you don't have any friends to play with. There are three modes to that: survival (be the last one alive), point battle (be the first person to get a certain number of kills), and time battle (Like point battle, but timed instead of going for a certain number of kills), which all share the same four map choices. The bots have adjustable difficulty settings and you can also do stuff like toggle the new items for it on and off.

Beyond that though, this mostly is a score-attack game. The replay value, once you've played through the game at least three times to have visited every planet (and even then, there's still stuff like hidden warps and the like you can find and take to unlock other possible routes), mostly comes from getting the highest score in each planet possible. Getting a medal (obtained by getting a designated number of kills, without letting any of your teammates die) on every planet will unlock an Expert mode, for more difficulty (and gives Fox a pair of sunglasses).

If it's anything like the original, doing stuff like that will also unlock some tidibts in the multiplayer mode, but I haven't completed getting the medals yet, so I can't confirm if that's still the case, nor have I really heard about that from anyone else (based on what the menu looks like to start with though, it looks unlikely, which is kind of disappointing to me, as messing around with them was one of my favorite things about the original multiplayer).
Great post! Thanks. So is this game like Rogue Squadron?

GeekyDad

dwu8991 said:
They are supporting online this gen with Mario Kart. I think it was a decision very early on not to include online multi player and instead focused on putting out a good product.
If you look at Street Fighter or Dead or Alive, they've clearly made short cuts just to include online play. Like sub 30 fps, lag, static background.

You can't have both?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oni Link 666 said:
You can if you want the game later. >_>
It's already a remake of a 14-year old game. Yeah, I'd trade an extra three or four months wait for online in a second.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oni Link 666 said:
Well I'm glad people like you didn't get their way. SF multiplayer still sucks and I'm glad I didn't have to wait longer for them to get it online.

If it ended up like Brawl and Mario Kart, matches will be filled with hackers that can one shot you while using speed hacks.

qq more

EvilMario said:
If it ended up like Brawl and Mario Kart, matches will be filled with hackers that can one shot you while using speed hacks.
You can't hack Brawl's online like that. You'd go out of sync with the other players.

I read on another forum that Q-Games designed the multiplayer mode with online play in mind, but that it was vetoed by EAD on the grounds that not enough people played SF Command online. No idea if this is true.

HiVision said:
Thanks.. I'm hoping more people will play X-Scape (or 3d Space Tank as it is called in Europe) after they have enjoyed StarFox. (it runs fine on the 3DS)
X-Scape is an even more personal game for me than StarFox as the original GameBoy X was the first commercial game I ever made, and it's the seed that got me interested in Japan because of Nintendo's involvement.

You mean to fuckin' tell me you're Dylan Cuthbert?

...holy crap.

Is HiVision Dylan Cuthbert?

*haha, twin posts. Even if he's not, he helped create some of my favorite games of all time. The original Star Fox blew my fucking mind as a kid and opened my eyes up to what polys could do.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmm... the 3DS Browser's "Recommended Bookmarks" now includes a link to a 3DS formatted SF643D site...

FyreWulff

EvilMario said:

You'd have to actually have an online population before people could give enough of a crap to mod it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
robut said:
Is HiVision Dylan Cuthbert?
Aren't there two people he could be... or am I getting my history wrong here?

(...purchased the DSiWare X game at the launch of 3DS eShop ...)

The perfect Dark said:
*Watched Gamespot-Review

Quote: "You can play through this game in less than one hour"

*Laughed and cancelled order

Sry but 45 € for one hour? (one playthrough)

Never, Nintendo, never!
I must say that I'm not someone who enjoys replaying the same missions again and again.

Says the person with the Starfox-related avatar...what the hell?

qq more

HiVision said:
This is one of the bosses I created in the original SNES starfox - to show off the oh-so-advanced technology of "texture scrolling" (the slots). Textures were very "new" for home consoles back then so we tried a lot to showcase even such basic features as this.

Great to hear everyone is enjoying the 64 remake we made for the 3DS, we put a lot of love and polish into it and in stages such as Zoness or Macbeth you can really see the fruits of our effort.
I don't have the game yet but I want to say thank you for creating this remake. I've always wanted to play Star Fox 64 on the go, and it looks really great! I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Seriously loving this so far, just like back on the N64. I do miss the old voices, not that I have any issue with the new ones, I just like the original ones.

I'm also really happy that the medals are so hard to get (at least for me). Gone through the game about 3 times now on 3DS mode and I've only gotten 2-3 of them. They're just a matter of getting enough Hits, right?

d0c_zaius

HiVision said:

The port is amazing. I think you guys did a great job, and its the one game I show people that are interested in what 3D can do for old games.

Emitan

Rodney McKay said:
Seriously loving this so far, just like back on the N64. I do miss the old voices, not that I have any issue with the new ones, I just like the original ones.

I'm also really happy that the medals are so hard to get (at least for me). Gone through the game about 3 times now on 3DS mode and I've only gotten 2-3 of them. They're just a matter of getting enough Hits, right?
You need a certain number of hits per stage and all your wingmates need to be alive.

sfried

HiVision said:
That explains why I was always getting killed in Aqas in 3DS mode: The killer starfish were approaching me faster than I expected.

AbsoluteZero said:
Says the person with the Starfox-related avatar...what the hell?
That was before I decided to give it a try ^^
Really like this game so far so I think I have to apologize ;)

Played through it two times now on 3DS mode.
Only discovered one alternative route ...and I have no idea how to find the other routes...:/

Koren

HiVision said:
Thanks.. I'm hoping more people will play X-Scape (or 3d Space Tank as it is called in Europe) after they have enjoyed StarFox. (it runs fine on the 3DS)
X-Scape is an even more personal game for me than StarFox as the original GameBoy X was the first commercial game I ever made, and it's the seed that got me interested in Japan because of Nintendo's involvement.
Will do...

And I take the chance to thank all of you for the port. It's truly great...

It's too bad that DS is less confortable than a N64 pad, but you can't beat portable SF64.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
sfried said:
That explains why I was always getting killed in Aqas in 3DS mode: The killer starfish were approaching me faster than I expected.

I've played for about seven hours now. No deaths for me. In fact, I find it very difficult to die in StarFox 64, but I have played the original a bit back in the day..

Of course, Expert Mode is still waiting to be unlocked. Almost there though..

EvilMario said:
I've played for about seven hours now. No deaths for me. In fact, I find it very difficult to die in StarFox 64, but I have played the original a bit back in the day..

Of course, Expert Mode is still waiting to be unlocked. Almost there though..

How is this unlocked again? Earn a medal on every level?

mm2V9.png

Controls are so fucked up...wtf.

Top Bottom