• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew |OT| Graduated Star Fleet with a 2.0 GPA

Soi-Fong

pvwc.jpg

NOTICE

• From Reddit From Ubisoft
    UPDATE
    With thanks to our community for working closely with the development team at Red Storm, we have diagnosed the ”Infinite Warp" issue. We have developed a fix that will be released in a patch as soon as we can get it out. In the meantime, we want to let everyone know how best to deal with it until we can get the patch in your hands.
    When this issue occurs it actually affects the state of all players in that current match. To prevent it from continuing to occur, when a session encounters infinite warp, each and every player in that sessions needs to shut down and completely restart their game client. This will have the effect of completely resetting any corrupted data and preventing problems in further missions.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience this causes and we are working hard to get this patch in your hands as soon as the patch approval process allows us.
  • When posting usernames, make sure to post your UPLAY name. The game uses UPlay for being able to play with friends and such.
  • The game DOES SUPPORT crossplay between Rift, Vive and PSVR.
  • The game comes with any Vive purchased after June 1st.

GAME INFORMATION
VR Platforms | Oculus Rift, Vive, PSVR
Controllers Supported | XB1 controller, PS4 Controller, Oculus Touch, PSVR Move Controllers, Vive Wands
Number of Players | 1 - 4 Online Crossplay Between Oculus Rift, Vive and PSVR
Developer | Red Storm Entertainment
Publisher | Ubisoft
Release Date | May 30, 2017
Price: $49.99
Links | Website, Twitter

PC REQUIREMENTS
Processor: Intel® i5-4590, AMD FX 8350 equivalent or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970, AMD Radeon™ R9 290 equivalent or better
Network: Broadband Internet connection

WHAT IS THIS GAME?
Star Trek™: Bridge Crew will immerse you in the Star trek universe thanks to VR. The game puts you and your friends in the heart of the U.S.S. Aegis.
Your mission: explore a largely uncharted sector of space known as The Trench, in hopes of locating a suitable new home world for the decimated Vulcan populace. The Klingon Empire is also active in the region, and their purpose is a threat to the Federation's plans.

Make strategic decisions and coordinate actions with your crew to complete the mission.
In co-op, you can form a crew of four players to serve in the roles of Captain, Helm, Tactical and Engineer. In addition to a dynamic storyline, the game features an ”Ongoing Missions" mode, procedurally generating missions for countless hours of Solo and Co-op adventure.

In Star Trek™: Bridge Crew, you'll need more than just individual skill to overcome the challenges; communication, trust, and close crew coordination are the keys to victory.

FEATURE LIST
  • Designed specifically for VR, serve as an officer with hand tracking with full-body avatars and lip-sync.
  • Operate as a crew to make strategic decisions and coordinate actions as Captain, Helm, Tactical or Engineer.
  • Take command of the unique U.S.S. Aegis, the first ship of her kind.
  • Play on the original bridge of the legendary U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701.
  • Join a shared galactic adventure where communication, trust, and close coordination are the keys to victory.

SCREENSHOTS

TRAILERS

COMMUNITY VIDEOS

STORE LINKS

TIPS FOR ROLES
Source: Tips

Engineering

• Repair crews can be spread across subsystems to repair them. The more crews assigned, the quicker the repair.
  • A repair crew can be left assigned to a subsystem even after it's back at 100 percent. That way crew can start repairing it right away if it gets damaged. This is a good way to mitigate repeated damage to critical subsystems like the Warp Core.
  • Excess power can be routed from one ship subsystem to another, boosting performance. However, you run the risk of overloading the system and blowing power nodes.
  • Engineering is the first person to get data on the helpful and dangerous effects of anomalies in space on the ship. Report the effects immediately to the Captain, as the use of anomalies can mean the difference between success and failure.

Helmsman

• When fighting multiple enemy ships, Helm can select a different enemy than Tactical to mark it with a HUD icon. The additional mark is especially helpful when using the external view, giving the Captain and Engineering better situational awareness.
  • Keep the U.S.S. Aegis' speed at 4,000 or below to minimize the detectable output of her engines (indicated by the green ring around the ship on the map), and help avoid enemy patrols or sensors.
  • Incoming torpedoes can be dodged if the ship is maneuvered vertically, just before impact, at maximum speed. Drag up the speed controls to the left of the control pad and drag the throttle to the right upwards. Also be sure to duck behind space debris to avoid incoming fire.
  • Throw the throttle to reverse while following the turn of an enemy to keep close range foes in your crew's firing arc.

Tactical
  • Use system disruption to temporarily shut down enemy engines while remaining undetected. This technique is especially useful in missions where stealth or evasion are crucial such as the fourth episode of the campaign, and can buy your crew time to maneuver that they otherwise wouldn't have.
  • If under heavy fire, disrupt/bypass an enemy's shields and use phasers to quickly damage their weapons system. This will greatly reduce their damage output.
  • You'll occasionally be tasked with transporting from a hostile ship. Drop the ship's shields with your phasers to allow for quick transport.
  • Ensure that you have a clear shot before firing. Space debris can easily block phasers and torpedoes, wasting energy and weapon reserves.

Captain
  • When playing with a human crew, name the station before giving the role. For example, when you want to tell Engineering to power up the shields, say ”Engineering, full power to shields." This helps make it clear who you're talking to, particularly in stressful situations or when the gamertags of players are similar.
  • The Captain receives objectives and intelligence information from Starfleet, and therefore is heavily relied upon by the crew to give them that information.
  • The science officer will send additional, specialized information to the Captain's local map panel.
  • When playing with one or more AI-controlled crew mates the Captain can give orders to any station, or if need be temporarily jump into a station to perform custom actions.

UPLAY GAF USERNAMES (WILL TRY TO KEEP THIS UPDATED)
Obama-kun
PlanetJumble
XiaNaphryz
Tumle2008
Kyolux
Krakn-3dfx
kofumathew
Makeamazing
MrFrankFontaine
CanoNxFoddeR
MultiverseMob
Xerberum
xT.eZipsis
GearDraxon
Davion77

Krakn3Dfx

Nice, need to dig into this over the weekend, got my copy Friday and played a bit, but mostly just dinking around.

uPlay name: Krakn-3dfx
PSN name: Krakn3dfx

ranmafan

Thanks for making this OT. Looking forward to playing this soon once it finally arrives to me in Japan.

Please feel free to add me to your lists. Both my uplay name and psn name is:

kofumathew

Really looking forward to joining in on the fun!

This is the most fun I've ever had playing playing online with strangers. Can't wait for the day all my real life gaming buddies have VR so we can team up in games like this.

RoyalFool

Banned
Doing the lord's work op.

Had the joy of playing with someone who clearly adores star trek, going full role play as the captain. There is something quite endearing being around 35 year olds finally fulfilling one of their childhood dreams.

Finding replays of the same old campaign missions a bit dull, but the random missions never get old.

Really enjoying it so far, played for about 1.5hrs in.

Game is a lot of fun (shame about the heatwave in the UK stopping me from playing it more)... disappointed there weren't more captain missions (hopefully they'll make some more). Really like the idea with the mission generator, so at least you can continue to have fun out of the game.

Yet to play multiplayer, PSN - Jared_Jupiter.
I think my Uplay name is: Makeamazing

Probably my favourite VR game

Soi-Fong

Really enjoying it so far, played for about 1.5hrs in.

Game is a lot of fun (shame about the heatwave in the UK stopping me from playing it more)... disappointed there weren't more captain missions (hopefully they'll make some more). Really like the idea with the mission generator, so at least you can continue to have fun out of the game.

Yet to play multiplayer, PSN - Jared_Jupiter.

Probably my favourite VR game

We'll need your UPlay name.

Tumle

Have the dev talked about expanding the game yet with more content?
I'd love for the captain to have some more interactions through hails or stuff like that.. make there be a little more decision making, than following the mission points.. other than that I'm loving the game :)

Soi-Fong

Have the dev talked about expanding the game yet with more content?
I'd love for the captain to have some more interactions through hails or stuff like that.. make there be a little more decision making, than following the mission points.. other than that I'm loving the game :)

As a Rift user, I noticed in the store page inside Oculus Home in the Rift, that it had "In-App Purchases" listed. I'm pretty sure they're planning on adding DLC to this judging from that.

As a dev myself on the Rift, I know that "In-App Purchases" doesn't show up unless you have DLC put in already in the Oculus dashboard.

Tumle

As a Rift user, I noticed in the store page inside Oculus Home in the Rift, that it had "In-App Purchases" listed. I'm pretty sure they're planning on adding DLC to this judging from that.

As a dev myself on the Rift, I know that "In-App Purchases" doesn't show up unless you have DLC put in already in the Oculus dashboard.
Oh ok nice :)
Now the question is if it will be free Dlc or only payed..
Hopefully a little of both:)

Tumle

Added everyone, but MakeAmazing and tumle2008, both says they don't exist.
Huh.. I'll have to check again then.. or I'll add you when I get home :)
Edit:
Just checked, and that is my username on Uplay.. maybe it makes a difference if it's a capital T?

An OT, Nice!!

My UPlay name is also MrFrankFontaine.

Plan on jumping on in a little to do tutorials and then again later tonight for some missions.

Kyolux

Huh.. I'll have to check again then.. or I'll add you when I get home :)
Edit:
Just checked, and that is my username on Uplay.. maybe it makes a difference if it's a capital T?

Yup, it's stupidly case-sensitive for a username search. wow.

Makeamazing, not MakeAmazing worked too.

Ok, added everyone in the OP to my Uplay friends list. Going to jump on if anyone is interested in joining up.

Oh and it's very cool what Oculus Home did by making the background space and having the ship fly over head. Great promotion and pretty damn cool.

This game is fast approaching my highest time played for any VR game. Currently at 6 hours across 3 playsessions, and I've actually been enjoying it MORE as I have gotten used to the rhythm of all of the roles.

I originally thought that Tactical and Engineering were not quite as engaging as playing the Helm, but after my last playsession I realized that Engineering is deceptively impactful. Swapping power to phasers from engines/shields just as they come online, and taking out a ship with just one burst makes tactical so much more efficient. There's a lot of cool potential for micro-managing interactions between roles to squeeze every ounce out of the ship.

I do think that they need to either give us some more options for ship customization and/or tools for each station to play with, as I think given enough time piloting the ship efficiently is going to become a relatively solved problem so giving more trade-offs would be great.

The game is so much more fun when you get a group that all have a similar mindset. I have it on Vive, but I've been really close to pulling the trigger on buying a PSVR and double dipping so I can force my GF to play with me.

Just finished playing with two very drunk country sounding guys. Let's just say we were less than successful, but that shit was funny as hell. Ok, I'm done, but this game is awesome.

Soi-Fong

Oh this is another online multiplayer game?
What happened to just single player.

There's single player, but the meat of this game is multiplayer.

Anyway, I just got done playing on the old Enterprise w/ the jelly buttons! So much fun guys! You guys have to try out the old Enterprise! It's just soo nostalgic and just refreshing and real challenging compared to the Aegis.

We gotta get some Gaf games going with the old Enterprise! :D

Ottaro

Is this game playable single player and offline? Is there much to do, is it any fun that way?

Edit: Beaten by a couple minutes. Is it fun though?

ranmafan

There's single player, but the meat of this game is multiplayer.

Anyway, I just got done playing on the old Enterprise w/ the jelly buttons! So much fun guys! You guys have to try out the old Enterprise! It's just soo nostalgic and just refreshing and real challenging compared to the Aegis.

We gotta get some Gaf games going with the old Enterprise! :D

That sounds awesome! While I can't wait to try out the Aegis, it's the original Enterprise that I really can't wait to be able to play in. That will certainly be a dream come true. Now I wish I had chosen faster shipping instead of the slow terrible one I usually use. I really hate iparcel. Worst shipping company ever.

Guppeth

Is this game playable single player and offline? Is there much to do, is it any fun that way?

Edit: Beaten by a couple minutes. Is it fun though?
I've beaten all of the campaign offline and played a couple of missions in the original Enterprise. I'm enjoying it, but it's difficult because you have to do four jobs. The AI crewmembers aren't very capable and the helmsman is just an idiot.

God damn. GOTG for me. I said in the other thread this is like a childhood dream of mine.

The system is setup perfect too and they can easily make new DLC.

Please support this game Ubisoft!!

Once everyone knows what they are doing a 4 man bridge crew can get shit done!

What's the tracking like on the Moves? Heard complaints about them on streams. I will be getting the game either way just want to know what to expect.

What's the tracking like on the Moves? Heard complaints about them on streams. I will be getting the game either way just want to know what to expect.

It can get wonky here and there and if your chair has arms or sides on it. Captain is a pain the ass.

You can lean forward and set camera though.

It works good enough and it will work fine most of the time. At least it has in my experience.

Honestly just have to remember that it is a video-tracking system. If you don't give the camera enough and move out of it's range tracking can bit wonky.This is easily countered by sitting 6 or 7 feet from camera and centering it around the middle of your general action (as in, the center of the maximum range you can move your arms above your heads and below your waistline).

Honestly just have to remember that it is a video-tracking system. If you don't give the camera enough and move out of it's range tracking can bit wonky.This is easily countered by sitting 6 or 7 feet from camera and centering it around the middle of your general action (as in, the center of the maximum range you can move your arms above your heads and below your waistline).
It can get wonky here and there and if your chair has arms or sides on it. Captain is a pain the ass.

You can lean forward and set camera though.

It works good enough and it will work fine most of the time. At least it has in my experience.

Cheers guys, like I said buying it anyway and if it's a problem I'll use the DS4 as streamers say its more then viable.

I wish this had come out at a less busy game playing time for me. I hate to miss the boat and active player base, but I just have enough games right now..

Top Bottom