• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Walshicus

Will there be another method of getting those Jemhadar ships?

Was looking forward for the carrier.

Nope. Well, I mean you can still buy them from the Exchange (under the "rewards" tab, search for "Dread" or "Heavy"), providing people have any they can sell. And there are still millions of Dominion lockboxes in player inventories and banks so it'll take a while for the supply to drop down.

How many Energy Credits do you have? If you can muster up about 60,000,000 you should be able to buy one off the exchange, no problem.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It means that Dominion lockboxes will stop being *generated* by the game. There will still be a huge supply of them on the exchange and in player banks and inventories.

What might be a good idea is to save up unused bank space with cheaply bought lockboxes. Don't pay more than about 2,000 EC for any set of 20. In a few months time as the supply dwindles, the price will go up and you can sell for a lot more money.

This is what I have done, I have like what has to be 100+ Dominion Lockboxes in my bank for when I get round to wanting to open them.

That was pretty neat, should have come out yesterday for some weekend gaming.

Welp that's impossible since I only have 5% of that price and I got that 10 mil EC limit.

You can buy off the EC limit with zen, once you get into the swing of it you find quick ways of getting EC as quickly as possible. But of course you could just not bother and get the non-lockbox ships or save up for keys and hope to get lucky from a box.

JWong

Banned
You can buy off the EC limit with zen, once you get into the swing of it you find quick ways of getting EC as quickly as possible. But of course you could just not bother and get the non-lockbox ships or save up for keys and hope to get lucky from a box.

Yeah I could do that... but Zen is needed elsewhere.

And how would I get EC quickly? Only have 3 mill, and I'm sure those ships will skyrocket in price as they become rarer.

Archon

OK STO-GAF, I've held out for too long. I only play on and off these days but I want to feel like I can help out when I do log in. So can I get a Fleet invite or two?

Stephan@goshou (50 Engineer Fed)
Ka'lash@goshou (50 Tact KDF)

I'll donate to the fleet effort as much as possible.

I've also got a 50 Science Fed (Sandrala@goshou) but not sure how much time I'll ever really dedicate to her compared to my first 2 characters (even though I'm really close to biting on that stupid beautiful Vesta pack).

Probably going to run through the game again with a Romulan Tact because I've got a severe case of alt-itis.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
OK STO-GAF, I've held out for too long. I only play on and off these days but I want to feel like I can help out when I do log in. So can I get a Fleet invite or two?

Stephan@goshou (50 Engineer Fed)
Ka'lash@goshou (50 Tact KDF)

I'll donate to the fleet effort as much as possible.

I've also got a 50 Science Fed (Sandrala@goshou) but not sure how much time I'll ever really dedicate to her compared to my first 2 characters (even though I'm really close to biting on that stupid beautiful Vesta pack).

Probably going to run through the game again with a Romulan Tact because I've got a severe case of alt-itis.

I invited both your Fed Characters to the Fed Fleet, I'm not on the KDF side Fleet so can't get someone to do it there, at least not till LoR and I start a proper Klingon character, lol.

Don't forget to add the GAFleet channel! it should tell you how when you join the fleet, if not right clicking any chat tab should bring up the options and in there a "channels" tab where you can add it.

As someone returning for LoR, are there any benefits in the F2P model for those that originally bought the game at launch?

Referring to the standard retail game only, not digital deluxe / collectors.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Today is the day for Legacy of Romulas!

Well, hopefully if we can get on, and the patches don't take a week to download, and then there is the queue, and the disconnections and servers dying. Has anyone thought about making a gaming side topic for LoR to maybe drum up some attention for old players?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Today is the day for Legacy of Romulas!

Well, hopefully if we can get on, and the patches don't take a week to download, and then there is the queue, and the disconnections and servers dying. Has anyone thought about making a gaming side topic for LoR to maybe drum up some attention for old players?

Yeah, I think we'll hold off a bit. It is amusing to see the amount of apologists on the STO forums though. One was praising Cryptic for having the good will to give him the privilege to play the game for free and absolving them of any incompetence in utterly failing to anticipate the increased server strain and its resultant crashing of the entire game. Then there are the batches of people who adopt the attitude that it's all OK because it happens every time.

JWong

Banned
Lifetime Subscription sale? does anyone even bother when it's F2P? =P

I don't think the upgrade is that much different than the free account.

DarthWoo

Lifetime Subscription sale? does anyone even bother when it's F2P? =P

I don't think the upgrade is that much different than the free account.

I was considering it, but the technical SNAFUs today are making me reconsider. There are some benefits to consider though. Assuming the game doesn't go under, the Zen stipend will pay for the thing in 40 months. You also get tokens for free C-store ships and a bunch of other exclusive things. Also important is that you can feel free to make new characters and not have to resub to ensure that they have their maximum potential inventory/bank slots and such.

DarthWoo

I love the new character screen with two of my girls flashing their panties.

Edit: Holy shit this queue!

Yeah, starting to seem that waiting until at least a day after any large updates is par for the course with Cryptic, but hopefully it will have sorted itself out by tomorrow.

Here is a screenshot of the new character select, although unfortunately the native screenshot utility in the STO client doesn't grab any of the HUD, just the graphics.

JWong

Banned
Yeah, starting to seem that waiting until at least a day after any large updates is par for the course with Cryptic, but hopefully it will have sorted itself out by tomorrow.

Here is a screenshot of the new character select, although unfortunately the native screenshot utility in the STO client doesn't grab any of the HUD, just the graphics.

Lol your dude is so short. Here are my gals:

MYPdNp4.jpg

Baskcm

Ill have to post salur and eplo start up screen later i was up till 2 in the morning trying to get in.

I did manage to create a romulan char is there going to be a fleet for it.

Walshicus

I managed to sneak in a few minutes play yesterday before the crash, but its going to be a while before I get the time to start a Rommie... :(

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I didn't come back quick enough to knock the mouse while logged on to keep me logged on, so I'm 20k+ at the end of the queue, who knows, I might get to play again this week, lol.

I'm coming back after a long layoff. I remember being able to choose traits when creating Alien characters before, but now it seems like I'm stuck with these pre-determined traits based on my career. Am I missing something?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
see you next year then P

From 20k to 1623! Only took an hour and 20 minutes, lol.

I'm coming back after a long layoff. I remember being able to choose traits when creating Alien characters before, but now it seems like I'm stuck with these pre-determined traits based on my career. Am I missing something?

They just got changed around in this update, I honestly have no idea how it works as I haven't looked over it, but IIRC it is suppose to make it so different races are on even terms instead of people only ever making Aliens or say Humans for certain traits.

DarthWoo

You get predetermined traits to start, but get additional trait slots as you level up to choose from new ones.

You're pretty much stuck with the default ones. You will unlock more as you level up. If you happen to get a trait respec, you can use that to repick them all.) There are also so far 4 "special' traits that you unlock with lockbox nonsense. (One unlock per character.) Though, it does at least come with a free trait respec.

JWong

Banned
Crystalline Entity re-fucked.
Gorn foundary cheat is gone.
Klingon Scout Force not working.

How am I going to get my dil!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Me and Sy had some serious issues getting into the Mirror Universe yesterday, got into maybe one in the space of half an hour, and of course at low levels these things can take some time, but it was ridiculous as it would keep throwing you out of it when you had obviously made it into the game.

What was the Gorn foundry cheat?

I was going to ask the same thing, lol, can't say I've heard of it.

JWong

Banned
I forgot who told me, darthwoo maybe?

There was a Gorn foundary mission where you just idle for 20 minutes and get like 600 dil.

It was great for me when I am at work.

Dormant lifer returning to check things out.

Got a 50 Fed Sci,

Started up a Romulan Engineer. Not sure which faction to go with; Klingon for "new content" since I've never done Klingon side, or Federation, which is awesome.

Walshicus

Dormant lifer returning to check things out.

Got a 50 Fed Sci,

Started up a Romulan Engineer. Not sure which faction to go with; Klingon for "new content" since I've never done Klingon side, or Federation, which is awesome.

Klingons have an easier time earning Dilithium.

Are you in the fleet? We have a Fed fleet (GAFleet) and a Klingon sister-fleet (Imperial Raiders) you are more than welcome to join. Post your character@account name if you want in. No obligations, and you get access to a bunch of fleet mission content.

Klingons have an easier time earning Dilithium.

Are you in the fleet? We have a Fed fleet (GAFleet) and a Klingon sister-fleet (Imperial Raiders) you are more than welcome to join. Post your character@account name if you want in. No obligations, and you get access to a bunch of fleet mission content.

Angel@Grandharrier

Sozettaslow

Neo Member
Hey, can I have in GAF Fleet?

My handle is Fortune@SoZettaSlow on Fed but I have characters on other factions.

I would love to find a fleet to contribute to.

DarthWoo

What was the Gorn foundry cheat?

The Gorn foundry mission wasn't a cheat, but just an idle AFK mission where it kept you in an invisible barrier, while two enemy frigate ran a long loop outside, beyond your range. At around the 18 minute mark, the two ships would run into two Typhoons, which would promptly dispatch them and trigger the removal of the barrier and a new NPC to appear which you contacted to end the mission. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well now since they implemented the one reward per hour thing, but I suppose if you still have 15 minutes you need to spend AFK, it's not a bad bit of dilithium for doing nothing. It also spawns 20 ships that you can destroy for loot if you wish.

There was another Foundry cheat that was the real cause of the one mission per hour reward limit. If you remember how Investigate Officer Reports worked long ago, you'll recall how most people just queued up 3 clicky missions and finished it fast. With the cheat, people queued up a few dozen instances of nearly identical foundry missions which ran concurrently. At the end, you'd end up with the dilithium reward for every single instance that had been running. Cryptic was fortunately able to track down accounts that had abused it, and either just removed the dilithium, or banned them outright.

JWong

Banned
The Gorn foundry mission wasn't a cheat, but just an idle AFK mission where it kept you in an invisible barrier, while two enemy frigate ran a long loop outside, beyond your range. At around the 18 minute mark, the two ships would run into two Typhoons, which would promptly dispatch them and trigger the removal of the barrier and a new NPC to appear which you contacted to end the mission. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well now since they implemented the one reward per hour thing, but I suppose if you still have 15 minutes you need to spend AFK, it's not a bad bit of dilithium for doing nothing. It also spawns 20 ships that you can destroy for loot if you wish.

There was another Foundry cheat that was the real cause of the one mission per hour reward limit. If you remember how Investigate Officer Reports worked long ago, you'll recall how most people just queued up 3 clicky missions and finished it fast. With the cheat, people queued up a few dozen instances of nearly identical foundry missions which ran concurrently. At the end, you'd end up with the dilithium reward for every single instance that had been running. Cryptic was fortunately able to track down accounts that had abused it, and either just removed the dilithium, or banned them outright.

Is it still there? I can't find it.

Also, one hour per reward? So we only get reward per hour so I'm just limited to 1 per hour instead of 20 minutes?

Still not bad.

Walshicus

Here's my Romulan and crew:
Maticus.png

Vulcan-brown colour scheme for the ship. Standard Romulan Republic uniform for the crew with the undershirt determining department.

Top Bottom