• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek |OT?| (the game)

Andrew.

Banned
Shinobi is trying to compete with MrOrange for best OT of 2013. Oranges OT for Colonial Marines was just as good I tell you...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
people said it was like mass effect. Does it have dialogue trees and let me chill in the enterprise/normandy?

I never thought about it but this is the perfect license to rip off ME. With no new ME games on the current consoles they could have provided something to scratch that itch. Even if you don't like ME, you have to admit, thats pretty stupid that its strictly a cinematic shootbang.

Karak

PC version or a console copy?

Console.
I should state that its not a huge drop but there is some noticeable hits to the image quality that I saw previously in press material.

I will say it actually looks VERY nice in some sections and just ok in others. Overall atmosphere is 100% right on. Now I am watching my co-reviewer struggle with understanding how to shoot a gun:)

Console.
I should state that its not a huge drop but there is some noticeable hits to the image quality that I saw previously in press material.

I will say it actually looks VERY nice in some sections and just ok in others. Overall atmosphere is 100% right on. Now I am watching my co-reviewer struggle with understanding how to shoot a gun:)

Ah cool, I'll see how the PC version came out. Warframe looks great so hopefully it's a similar result!

Karak

Thanks for posting the review, I'm buying my copy on Thursday or Friday. What was with the set flickering in and out when Kirk and Spock were talking to Surak?

Also, Picard rules. You are wrong.
No problem.
That was artifacting that showed up after recording but not during the game. Very odd. We had to play that scene 3 times and I don't remember it occurring at least.

Chris_C

No problem.
That was artifacting that showed up after recording but not during the game. Very odd. We had to play that scene 3 times and I don't remember it occurring at least.

Good to hear, I was worried that those sorts of glitches might occur frequently throughout the game.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
All those multiple shots from weak "future" versions of standard modern shooters and the space ships just make me think this fictional universe is incredibly weak in fire-power technology.

I actually liked when it was supposed to be like submarine warfare. One well aimed shot can take down a ship, not this many mosquito bites will eventually make the enemy ship give up and be driven away.

I would prefer a one-hit kill disintegrate, and better designed A.I. to compensate.

Oh well, not like I expected anything from the game, but it could still be fun to borrow for a day.

Karak

I actually liked when it was supposed to be like submarine warfare. One well aimed shot can take down a ship, not this many mosquito bites will eventually make the enemy ship give up and be driven away.

Man. I would kill for this feeling to be returned.

Draysoth

Man where the heck are all the reviews? This game looks like a decent summer blockbuster type experience, lots of fun and not too lengthy.

Zen

Banned
Is it me? Am I the pervert? That uh, um, a pretty interest clip they chose to include...

uhhh.png

Karak

Man where the heck are all the reviews? This game looks like a decent summer blockbuster type experience, lots of fun and not too lengthy.

Ya the only one I have seen is mine so far. I actually think they didn't send the game out. Which usually bodes ill for reviews but hot damn I loved it.

Is it me? Am I the pervert?

Boldly_going.png
Wait till you see Spock and Kirk get through a door together:) At times it can look a bit odd.

DaBuddaDa

Review copies were not sent to outlets. Spoiler: that means the game isn't very good.

Not surprising; Digital Extremes seems way more interested in Warframe than this.

Torgo

Review copies were not sent to outlets. Spoiler: that means the game isn't very good.

Not surprising; Digital Extremes seems way more interested in Warframe than this.

Yeah, I was just going to post that lol. Not even the bigger sites got it for review, so that's definitely a red flag. I hope we're wrong though, because I've seen this game probably four times in the past couple fo years, and it always seemed good :-(

Karak

Yeah, I was just going to post that lol. Not even the bigger sites got it for review, so that's definitely a red flag. I hope we're wrong though, because I've seen this game probably four times in the past couple fo years, and it always seemed good :-(

Honestly it really is. Check out my review above. I mean its not a masterpiece but for me its a huge huge surprise. Puzzling with no review copies. But god damn it was a great night playing the game and this comes from someone who didn't like the movie that much nor the actors but damn. Fun times.

Karak

How the hell did you get it so early?

Walmart broke but Target wouldn't. Also a couple small stores broke as well. My best success for getting early has been going to the local games stores and knowing the owners/workers. Also stores many times, if you know a worker, will call you the moment a game comes in without checking the release date. Then there are a couple IRC's where people post what stores broke a date. Its a mini game all by itself.

Edit: I guess it also matters where you live. Smaller mom and pop stores many times don't even know how to really handle street dates.

Karak

I see. I never get that lucky in my small Wisconsin town :-(

Ya I know what you mean. Where I used to live I could never get them early. When I moved I found 2 shops and a Walmart that broke all the time. Walmart surprises me as they have computer dates, but they also push customer service, at least here:)

Hope you're right about it Karak. It's very bizarre they're not sending out copies. Maybe they think it's a A/B grade game and are worried that only AAA reviews cut the mustard now, so they don't want to risk sales on the back of less than stellar reviews.

I really liked the reboot of the film and I got to see Into Darkness early and I will say its better than the
first film!! The game looks decent enough and there's lens flares! ;)

So are all the vehicles on rails to you get to pilot any yourself?

Karak

I really liked the reboot of the film and I got to see Into Darkness early and I will say its better than the

Mostly rails. But as I said in the review, their camera angles, the battle and so forth really make it interesting enough. I mean as I said I would have loved to have a full on bridge commander game but its not that.

What it is is you in the captains chair and a cinematic experience at times.

Hope you're right about it Karak. It's very bizarre they're not sending out copies. Maybe they think it's a A/B grade game and are worried that only AAA reviews cut the mustard now, so they don't want to risk sales on the back of less than stellar reviews.

I agree.
But I stand by my "Buy" rating. Buy means I don't feel like I wasted my money and that the fun versus cost equation came out on the right side.
I would assume they do think its maybe a B grade game. But I will say this. Of the 4 people with me when we played it, none were disappointed and everyone agreed that it was probably the best(by far) movie to game transition in a long time. It was a FUN romp. That's it a great fun romp. Add in the cinematic feel, the real voice actors, the little commendations(things that make you play more like a star fleet officer), no bugs, fun as hell, it was easy to play and aim move around and explore. I mean I don't really see what the issue could be.

I am very interested in what the reviews will say. Because I spent my hard earned cash here. No free games for our review channel. So I have a interest in really identifying what I got out of something, above my own love for games. To come out of this with a big smile on my face and hearing the group say "ooh...oh man that was awesome" makes me feel like it was money well spent.

Edit: Scratch that there was the bug(or issue) with cutscenes where you go through doors together and sometimes Spock decided to show a bit too much love for Kirk and they were hard to separate hahaha

You've seen Into Darkness? Go on then. Use spoiler tags and tell us who Cumberbatch is playing.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
In for $15 through a discovered GS giftcard.

Impulse had it for $40 this week for PC folks. Hoping for a Nu-Trek action romp and nothing more.

Side ask: is this a Steamworks title? Would hate to be tied to yet another digital vendor on my rig.

You've seen Into Darkness? Go on then. Use spoiler tags and tell us who Cumberbatch is playing.

Yes I saw the movie about 80% complete. Some VFX weren't finished but it was GREAT!
I rather not say who Cumberbatch is (respecting bad robot) but I will say the movie has some cool references to past Trek films... It's best to go in and just be surprised. Plus it looks amazing, more adventure overall.

Karak

In for $15 through a discovered GS giftcard.

Impulse had it for $40 this week for PC folks. Hoping for a Nu-Trek action romp and nothing more.

Side ask: is this a Steamworks title? Would hate to be tied to yet another digital vendor on my rig.

Steam has it yes.

kharma45

Yes I saw the movie about 80% complete. Some VFX weren't finished but it was GREAT!
I rather not say who Cumberbatch is (respecting bad robot) but I will say the movie has some cool references to past Trek films... It's best to go in and just be surprised. Plus it looks amazing, more action overall.

Glad to hear good feedback, can't wait to see it.

Jawmuncher

Doesn't look bad. Just not something worth the 60 unless you're a diehard fan. Will probably grab when it hits a steam sale.

A search on dealzon shows that Green Man Gaming has a voucher for -$9.99 for a Steam Code (included some preorder bonus as well). Bringing the game to $40.00

Karak

So you CAN explore the Enterprise in this... Tempting.

Ya somewhat. I mean you can't go everywhere, but some places are open and the bridge is a perfect rendition of the enterprise in the movie. There are some areas you can go into. Most of the people are unresponse(don't talk) but some do and there is casual conversation. I wouldn't consider it a high point. Just a cool little thing to do when allowed.

I wish someone would get the Star Trek license just to put up Bridge Commander and Elite Force.

I'd like a Star Trek game in the style of The Walking Dead with an all new cast.

The Star Trek license, particularly on those old games, is a tangled web of some depth and large amounts of despair.

Top Bottom