• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek |OT?| (the game)

I think the game mechanics and the variation is pretty good. I think the game could have used some more time in the cooker but I think the devs probably had no choice, wanting some sales tied into the release of the upcoming movie.

Agree, it does an all right job of alternating between the patterns it has. If those patterns had more production, it might be a passable game. If that doesn't dissuade someone, it might already be. Bit undercooked for me.

Midou

Finished watching the first 3 seasons of the original star trek (unrelated to the 2009 movie being out :p) and I'm on the animated series now, I wanted to jump onto this if it was passable, but maybe if they add original kirk and spock models and if it was like $5 on sale.

watched the QL, funny enough this is kinda what everyone wanted out of the ground portions of star trek online lol.

(well besides it being removed completely)

got this from red box yesterday and played a few hours last night, an hour of replaying a level tonight (despite it "saving" it didn't really save my progress) only to have spock and/or an elevator glitch on me. it's going back tomorrow.

Karak

Star Trek Angry Rant - Broken Co-op & Glitches
Joe claims that co-op on PC is broken. Others have posted the same on Steam forums, and another person, outed as a dev, posted early in the thread: "Works fine for me. Game uses Steam servers."

Buyer beware, at least for PC.

Ya sadly I can confirm the PC doesn't work. None of our group could get it to work. 360 of course is fine. Joe was incorrect as he was reading the 360 review list on meta(which includes my first review on Meta!) as the PC list and so some of his anger is a bit misplaced

RPGCrazied

This looks like another walking dead: survival instinct type game. Wish we could get another adventure game like Judgment Rites or 25th Anniversary. Good shit.

Dueck

Banned
got this from red box yesterday and played a few hours last night, an hour of replaying a level tonight (despite it "saving" it didn't really save my progress) only to have spock and/or an elevator glitch on me. it's going back tomorrow.

Was it the one to the side of that Vulcan control room? You have to press the panel to activate it. If you're not standing directly in front, no prompt appears. I had Spock standing in the way, and didn't even realize this until I moved him out of the elevator.

Harlock

http://www.destructoid.com/star-trek-on-pc-is-broken-as-f-ck--252426.phtml

Most insultingly of all, the game's official PR channels have decided to try and diminish the problems of those affected, claiming "only a fraction" of users have experienced problems. When that "fraction" seems to include anybody attempting to review the thing and loads of customers, I don't think we're dealing with a tiny handful.

Even if it were the case, having a "tiny fraction" of users unable to play the game's only real draw is fucking shameful, and absolutely nothing to boast about. It especially doesn't help when a developer for the game, Kenneth Lindenbaum, is posting on the Steam forums that it works fine for him and there isn't a problem.

Kenneth Lindenbaum
Senior Producer, Star Trek The Video Game
1ce7577.jpg

Morts

This looks like another walking dead: survival instinct type game. Wish we could get another adventure game like Judgment Rites or 25th Anniversary. Good shit.

Judgement Rites was good, but my favorite was A Final Unity. Let's get a remake of that.

I wouldn't really call this game good but I'm enjoying it as a piece of Star Trek "stuff." Having the full cast doing voices is a big plus.

I hope we'll get a game with the same quality and presentation level as Elite Force one day.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is my Steam install borked, it no longer is in yellow and saying pre-load complete, it looks like any other installed game in the list, but it's still just a preload if I click/right click to see if it will run.

Karak

Is my Steam install borked, it no longer is in yellow and saying pre-load complete, it looks like any other installed game in the list, but it's still just a preload if I click/right click to see if it will run.

Ya that's borked. I would say you may have to redownload. Same thing happens to me once in awhile.
Or verify cache and see if its fixable that way.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ya that's borked. I would say you may have to redownload. Same thing happens to me once in awhile.
Or verify cache and see if its fixable that way.
Can't verify when you only have the preload options under right click.

Seems fixed, maybe it was still working the files in the background!

Game is a stuttery, twitchy, janky, unpolished and 100% uninspired mess of an alpha. I didn't think it would be this bad, but it is. Deleted.

louiedog

Star Trek Angry Rant - Broken Co-op & Glitches
Joe claims that co-op on PC is broken. Others have posted the same on Steam forums, and another person, outed as a dev, posted early in the thread: "Works fine for me. Game uses Steam servers."

Buyer beware, at least for PC.

That's not too surprising after the glowing and obviously fake metacritic user reviews the morning of release. I guess people who follow this kind of thing are the ones likely to dig into online info and not buy it anyway so building trust is unimportant.

beatnik11

Neo Member
My train of thought after watching the QL

It looks like it has some issues but it seems servicable enough > This game looks rather lazy and those textures are awful > Oh boy this game is a total broken mess, avoid at all costs

Sad really, Star Trek needs a good game

Karak

That's not too surprising after the glowing and obviously fake metacritic user reviews the morning of release. I guess people who follow this kind of thing are the ones likely to dig into online info and not buy it anyway so building trust is unimportant.

Actually I was one of those reviews:) And I am not fake ha. But I did actually enjoy the game a good deal. Far from perfect but I don't feel ripped off or anything.

Epcott

I thought maybe I was too harsh on this game for not having ever played it. But wow at those reviews. I'm still torn, I love Trek and co-op, but the claims of bugs is making me nervous.

Karak

I've only played on co-op but apparently the single player ai for the partner character is pretty bad.

Makes me want to replay it. Because aside from a couple weird issues where they went the long way around things it was ultimately fine. It wasn't perfect or like Bioshock lets say but it served a purpose and so forth. I am sort of a charge ahead do my own thing kind of player though.

Chris_C

Man, all these awful reviews are depressing. I'm going to be part of the problem for purchasing this game at full price, but I'd really like to play a new Star Trek game... like right now.

I almost picked this up as the Mrs is a huge star trek fan i thought it'd be fun to play together, and given the game had a long enough development time and the early trailer didn't look too terrible. Whew am i glad i waited on reviews. I would have been happy with a mediocre experience, but it seems far worse.

stupid_dad

Neo Member
Playing some couch coop on ps3 here finish first chapter,save game
Come back to play hour later press continue game and it won't let player 2 join game

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Is this game considered ST canon? I read somewhere that Abrams was involved with it.

Top Bottom