• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek |OT?| (the game)

I'm confused at the review copy stuff too... Could it have been because Bamco is UK based and its not out till the 26th there??
Maybe it's a Namco thing. Haven't they been releasing games with no prior warning on PSN lately? Or is that Konami? I could definitely see it as incompetence rather than embarrassment about the game itself.

A Star Trek game should be about captaining a starship across uncharted galaxies, not a series of dumb shoot-outs.
This Abrams' Star Trek. Shoot outs and bang bang are what you get. Sounds like you should pick a used copy of Star Trek: Legacy or Star Trek: Conquest.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Maybe it's a Namco thing. Haven't they been releasing games with no prior warning on PSN lately? Or is that Konami? I could definitely see it as incompetence rather than embarrassment about the game itself.

It makes me wonder how big the printing was, as my local EB only got four copies for 360 and 2 for Ps3.. Seems strange. Maybe they weren't prepared on the distribution end of things.

RS4-

I only did the first mission and uh...

Not a good impression/start so far. I don't have high hopes anyway.

Karak

So far, it seem competent enough on PC. It's certainly not embarrassing. It's just not...exceptional. The animation is average, the control is usable, but not silky smooth. The textures are probably console assets, but it still looks sharp enough. 60 FPS at 1080p helps.

They should have sent out the review copies and taken their lumps. It would be better than the innuendo you get by not sending them out.

Agreed. I really do think, as another poster said, they just got worried. Because nothing we experienced indicated there was a reason for holding off.

It makes me wonder how big the printing was, as my local EB only got four copies for 360 and 2 for Ps3.. Seems strange. Maybe they weren't prepared on the distribution end of things.
Hmm. Another good point. Our local store had 2 copies TOTAL.

Been playing for about three hours-ish. I like it. Camera goes a bit funky sometimes. The movement feels a bit off/ getting stuck sometimes. I like the variation though!

Nudull

Banned
I'm a sucker for Trek and all, but the majority of impressions doesn't leave me with much faith. Is the plot at least decent enough to stomach?

StevieP

Banned
This Abrams' Star Trek. Shoot outs and bang bang are what you get. Sounds like you should pick a used copy of Star Trek: Legacy or Star Trek: Conquest.
Haha blame it on Abrams. You forget the last decade or 2 of Bermaga as well? I'd much rather watch youth-anized Abrams shiny trek than drek like most of voyager and nemesis. Or the many, many trek games in the past couple decades that were bang bang shoot bang.

Topic aside, thinking about picking this one up for PC. Not a huge fan of bang bang shoot bang, but a sucker for trek. Worth the money r wait for a sale?

Played a little further.
Just incapacitated the Gorn in the shuttle bay
. Impressions are the same. Average, fun overall.
The turbo lifts are brilliant. Never thought about them that way.

Ok if you are a fan, or for $20.

SparkTR

Haha blame it on Abrams. You forget the last decade or 2 of Bermaga as well? I'd much rather watch youth-anized Abrams shiny trek than drek like most of voyager and nemesis. Or the many, many trek games in the past couple decades that were bang bang shoot bang.

Topic aside, thinking about picking this one up for PC. Not a huge fan of bang bang shoot bang, but a sucker for trek. Worth the money r wait for a sale?

It basically is already on sale for PC. I believe you can get it for $37 on GMG.

A Star Trek game should be about captaining a starship across uncharted galaxies, not a series of dumb shoot-outs.

You're looking for this game

Star_Trek_-_Bridge_Commander_Coverart.png

Karak

Been playing for about three hours-ish. I like it. Camera goes a bit funky sometimes. The movement feels a bit off/ getting stuck sometimes. I like the variation though!

I was getting stuck in the when the two co-op to open a door the most. Not anywhere else. But for some reason many times big broad shouldered Spock stopped me from moving for a second hahaha. Played another couple hours now on the PC version.

Played it a bit more and game is still decent. Also I have to give it one thing, Chris Pine really does put in a great performance. One of the few times I've heard a celebrity not just phoning it on a licensed game.

Sephzilla

Played it a bit more and game is still decent. Also I have to give it one thing, Chris Pine really does put in a great performance. One of the few times I've heard a celebrity not just phoning it on a licensed game.

Can anyone else confirm this? I'd be pleasantly surprised to see a celeb actually put effort into a video game role.

Just watched through the hour long giantbomb quicklook. The core of this game is okay. It just needed a bigger budget and more polish. It's pretty funny how many blatantly ripped off mechanics it has.

Just watched the Giant Bomb quick look and i ain't buying this game that's for sure. Looks sloppy and broken.

Sloppy, yes. Broken, no. Its a step above EuroJank, I would say. It's perfectly playable. It just needed more time and money.

$20 is about the sweet spot for this game. Should be there by fall at the latest.

glaurung

Horribly designed crappy movie tie-in game instead of the sharp and nice demo that was shown at an E3 some years back. Disgustingly bad.

The worst part is that the game looks BLURRY AS FUCK.

It's so bad it almost makes me dread the new movie.

Karak

Sloppy, yes. Broken, no. Its a step above EuroJank, I would say. It's perfectly playable. It just needed more time and money.

$20 is about the sweet spot for this game. Should be there by fall at the latest.

Agreed. I don't think its perfect but it has tons of atmosphere and variation. Personally I think it hit me at the right time, with the right kind of game to really enjoy it. Others may feel differently.

20 is the sweet spot for any game:) But I hear you.

D23

sounds like a goood redbox rental, so its kinda like a bad version of uncharted in star trek universe?

as long as it's fancy. I might be in a minority but the jet sequence in BF3 was one of the few times in a game where I went 'woah'.

Is the Enterprise even in the new movie? Haven't seen the newest trailer but the other 2 had like a second of enterprise but explosions and kungfu was more important.

kharma45

as long as it's fancy. I might be in a minority but the jet sequence in BF3 was one of the few times in a game where I went 'woah'.

Is the Enterprise even in the new movie? Haven't seen the newest trailer but the other 2 had like a second of enterprise but explosions and kungfu was more important.

Trailer 3 has a few shots of it yeah.

Karak

It is actually pretty fancy at times and you described what occurs in Star Trek pretty well. Its somewhat the same thing but with some pretty intense moments.

I still cling on to a small hope that someday it'll get a proper sequel as well as an Elite Force 3 being released.

I'd settle for a gog.com re-release of the original. But... Activision. Although I suppose all the blame might not lie with them given how complicated licenses are these days.

I think you mean Star Trek Bridge Commander. Why hasn't there been a sequel?

Don't think it sold very well?

I think the game mechanics and the variation is pretty good. I think the game could have used some more time in the cooker but I think the devs probably had no choice, wanting some sales tied into the release of the upcoming movie.

Morts

I think the game mechanics and the variation is pretty good. I think the game could have used some more time in the cooker but I think the devs probably had no choice, wanting some sales tied into the release of the upcoming movie.

I thought the game actually got an extra year since the movie was pushed back. Or maybe they've just been sitting on it for a year.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Giant Bomb quick look makes it look like a decent Steam sale game.

Certainly seems a little bit more like a traditional Trek adventure (at least in the beginning) than the first movie did.

Still no reviews?

they didn't send out review copies

Top Bottom