• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek |OT?| (the game)

FoneBone

From Jeff Gerstmann's Vine:

ibizClegPKsnuj.gif

Someone is masturbating to this. Probably several someones.

Karak

Best of both worlds? Though really, I'm guessing that's his early way of saying the game has issues.

Actually thats pretty much the 1 thing that every person who has got it talks about. The game doesn't have many bugs at all, very few it seems. The Spock/Kirk love angle is something you do get a couple times. Especially when you have to help one another through a door haahahah. But then again his shtick has always been to sort of create those kinds of things :)

Karak

The game is decent so far. Nothing spectacular, but it's a fun ride especially if you like the IP.

When you get done can you post on my youtube channel what you thought? I would be very interested to see what you got out of it.
Star Trek: The Videogame. Review

Though only a few peeps(normal players) posted on metecritic so far I am happy to see them scoring it high. Now for some real reviews...where are they?!?

Took this home from work to try out tonight, knew it would likely be shite but I thought I'd give it a go anyway. We had Dead Island Riptide in today as well but the first was so awful I didn't even bother with that.

Xander51

When you get done can you post on my youtube channel what you thought? I would be very interested to see what you got out of it.
Star Trek: The Videogame. Review

Though only a few peeps(normal players) posted on metecritic so far I am happy to see them scoring it high. Now for some real reviews...where are they?!?

Real reviews are missing because the game wasn't sent out to the press, so those reviewing the game had to buy it today.

Karak

Real reviews are missing because the game wasn't sent out to the press, so those reviewing the game had to buy it today.

..Sorry I know. I was teasing a bit on that due to the past conversations about no games being sent to reviewers:)

kuppy

I watched some gameplay on Twitch, it does seem to be pretty decent.

A comparision to Mass Effect makes me realize what a great Star Trek it could be, I would for sure love a more RPG based attempt.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
hmm. Could be, but I take everything Jeff says these days with a massive grain of salt.

Reason? I don't really follow him or any of the GB personalities anymore, so I don't know of any recent comments/reviews/etc. I have different tastes than he does, 5/5 Syndicate rofl, but I recognize that he was at least consistent with his preference for the shallow, high production AAA titles that hold your hand.

*I don't think such games are 'inferior' nor are their fans, I just don't personally enjoy them as much as other people seem too.
** I usually pick up those titles at the ~10-5 range. With that consideration, the games are an okay ~5 hour romp.

Reason? I don't really follow him or any of the GB personalities anymore, so I don't know of any recent comments/reviews/etc. I have different tastes than he does, 5/5 Syndicate rofl, but I recognize that he was at least consistent with his preference for the shallow, high production AAA titles that hold your hand.

*I don't think such games are 'inferior' nor are their fans, I just don't personally enjoy them as much as other people seem too.
** I usually pick up those titles at the ~10-5 range. With that consideration, the games are an okay ~5 hour romp.

People currently seem to be angry about this at the moment...

Edh0kyZ.png

Soon as I finish work, and dinner, I should be able to check the game out on PC. Took advantage of the $10 off coupon from Green Man Gaming. You'll still get the pre-order bonuses as well.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Game is super buggy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfMgdc0BRqc

I mean, I really don't care when I play a game and there's a floating corpse or two, or a little clipping in combat, but set animations and bad ai pathfinding for a co-op/ai experience is nto good. Also, restarting checkpoints = barftacular. Some cool ideas though.

jackdoe

Played about two hours of the game on the PC. The gameplay itself has been okay. Not terrible, but not great. There are also some questionable design choices, like why is there a jump button? However, it is oozing that Star Trek atmosphere which makes me forgive many of its faults. It also helps that Chris Pine generally doesn't phone in his lines and while Zachary Quinto does, it's Spock so it makes no difference.

One key thing though. If you play this game, I hope you love the new Star Trek theme. There are a ton of variations of it and I only got through the first two hours..

Game is super buggy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfMgdc0BRqc

I mean, I really don't care when I play a game and there's a floating corpse or two, or a little clipping in combat, but set animations and bad ai pathfinding for a co-op/ai experience is nto good. Also, restarting checkpoints = barftacular. Some cool ideas though.
The funny thing is that the AI pathfinding for the PC version is actually not as buggy as the console footage appears to be. In fact, I only had one instance so far of really crazy AI movement.

Harlock

I know how the movie is good and bad at same time. Lacks the charism from the original serie. And this game seems like other U$60 game in a U$30 world.

Karak

Great review! ( especially that last part ) I'm glad to see some love for the game. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I really look forward to getting my copy.

Thanks. Post what you think.

Played about two hours of the game on the PC. The gameplay itself has been okay. Not terrible, but not great. There are also some questionable design choices, like why is there a jump button? However, it is oozing that Star Trek atmosphere which makes me forgive many of its faults. It also helps that Chris Pine generally doesn't phone in his lines and while Zachary Quinto does, it's Spock so it makes no difference.

One key thing though. If you play this game, I hope you love the new Star Trek theme. There are a ton of variations of it and I only got through the first two hours..

The funny thing is that the AI pathfinding for the PC version is actually not as buggy as the console footage appears to be. In fact, I only had one instance so far of really crazy AI movement.

In the 360 version I did have 2 issues with pathfinding.
HOLY SHIT at that video. There wasn't a single thing in my entire game like that. Man what the hell.

Karak

Enjoyed the review, but I completely disagree about Star Trek. That movie is great, I've seen it multiple times now.

Anyway, how come you didn't show footage of later levels in the game?

I try to make the reviews as spoiler free as possible. The parts I try to cover are major parts or sections, ship battle, movement, fighting, puzzles, and the first main characters you may meet but nothing more. Its something I try to keep down in reviews especially if particular sections are really cool, unique, or somewhat of a plot point. So I chose what I could. Especially in this game the enviroments are very cool and I do the reviews how I would personally like which is more information and various thoughts than showing major locations shown in the review video. I may talk about them but due to the games being visual I try to keep it mostly out. Not sure thats going to stay that way. Hope that makes sense. When I can though I do. It just depends on the game really.

Harlock

I try to make the reviews as spoiler free as possible. The parts I try to cover are major parts or sections, ship battle, movement, fighting, puzzles, and the first main characters you may meet but nothing more. Its something I try to keep down in reviews especially if particular sections are really cool, unique, or somewhat of a plot point. So I chose what I could. Especially in this game the enviroments are very cool and I do the reviews how I would personally like which is more information and various thoughts than showing major locations shown in the review video. I may talk about them but due to the games being visual I try to keep it mostly out. Not sure thats going to stay that way. Hope that makes sense. When I can though I do. It just depends on the game really.

The ship battles are good? There is a mode where you do only ship battles?

Seems to come up in some TPS reviews that there is no jump button so they probably chucked it in there just in case.

Karak

How are the visuals for the PC version? Seemed to be the major thing going from the game at E3, although the steam screenshots don't seem impressive as that presentation did.

My video review for the console version starts with the title screen which you can see at Angry Centaur on youtube.

Here is the same area on the PC version(ignore jitteryness I am using my software recorder for this shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzqEG9rTyjg&feature=youtu.be

The reason I chose that is simply due to the lighting and overall structure. What does it show? Of course higher resolution and a somewhat higher resolution on mapping/textures but all in all, I personally still think the console version looked pretty good and the PC version will look GREAT.

However the PC version takes no big additional steps to look great. I can't find higher modeling or anything like that.

So far, it seem competent enough on PC. It's certainly not embarrassing. It's just not...exceptional. The animation is average, the control is usable, but not silky smooth. The textures are probably console assets, but it still looks sharp enough. 60 FPS at 1080p helps.

They should have sent out the review copies and taken their lumps. It would be better than the innuendo you get by not sending them out.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So far, it seem competent enough on PC. It's certainly not embarrassing. It's just not...exceptional. The animation is average, the control is usable, but not silky smooth. The textures are probably console assets, but it still looks sharp enough. 60 FPS at 1080p helps.

They should have sent out the review copies and taken their lumps. It would be better than the innuendo you get by not sending them out.

I'm confused at the review copy stuff too... Could it have been because Bamco is UK based and its not out till the 26th there??

Top Bottom