• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

I'm trying to like this, but gameplay really lacks dept to it

I'm not even complaining about the lack of meaningful progression

CS, TF2 and other don't really have unlocks nor progression

I'm having a hard time articulating why is this game so bland after a few hours

It all feels so random
The way I see it, the game does too much for you automatically and random (powerups wherever, no actual vehicles, no spawn point selection, little loadout customization) which detracts from the ability to turn the match in the blink of an eye. TF2 has such fine grained balanced gameplay that the matches always play out differently. Boom, a medic with an ubercharge and heavy turn the tide of battle. A spy manages to get behind enemy lines and saps all engineer devices. The gameplay is very layered, and battlefront lacks that. Matches usually play out very alike each time you play it.

It's really hard to convey with words. I basically said the game is too random which results in the game being not random at all. Eurgh.

Once the novelty of the arcade like gameplay (which DICE has implemented really well for the most part) it just starts feeling the same after a while. I actually hope DICE notices that and does something about it. I don't know what.

MBison

I'm loving this. Love every game type though I haven't played droid run cause no one else ever is.

Any word on what the expansions will include? I want morrreeee so bad.

The possibilities are practically limitless. I want more heroes and villains. I'll even take some prequel stuff!! Really!

kriskrosbbk

I'm loving this. Love every game type though I haven't played droid run cause no one else ever is.

The possibilities are practically limitless. I want more heroes and villains. I'll even take some prequel stuff!! Really!

I enjoyed the droid run thing,it is basically domination.

I would even take the Holyday special at this point.

Durden77

Fuck it, I'll probably get the season pass for this.

I can definitely understand the complaints, but it's just way too fun for me. And many of the complaints people have I actually enjoy. I like that this is a shooter that isn't as complex as most. I love the power ups. I love the 200yd hip firing. I love everything about it's gameplay. I've put about 15 hours into it, and I still nearly always have a big dumb smile on my face and yell "YEAH!" at least once a match. It might not be a game I binge on ravagaly, but it is a game I know I'm going to HAVE to play sometimes.

The only complaints that I have are like a lot of others have said, yes the spawns suck, and that a campaign would've been amazing. But I don't trust DICE when it comes to shooter campaigns anyway. Battlefield 4's was absolutely dreadful to the point to where it probably shouldn't have even had it.

Ferr986

Yeah, yesterday Droid run was always half teams for me on PS4. Weird, I like it more than Cargo honestly.

I don't even want to see my KD right now, boy I sucked yesterday as a foot soldier. I'm only doing good with ships right now...

Etnos

Banned
It's really hard to convey with words. I basically said the game is too random which results in the game being not random at all. Eurgh.

I know what you mean

The matches feel all the same because you lack agency to actually make a meaningful impact on the game with skill or decision making

it all happens sort of randomly so every match is kinda the same over and over

MBison

Playing cargo run or hvv with 5 other friends on party chat and using actual strategy and winning is the most fun I've had in a multiplayer shooter in a long time.

Jito

Banned
I can't be the only one getting terrible lag periods on the PS4, went to my friends last night and he was experiencing the exact same thing. Makes the game completely unplayable and it's not our connections, something is fucking up on their end. Pretty disappointing as I'm really enjoying the game.

KingConan

I can't be the only one getting terrible lag periods on the PS4, went to my friends last night and he was experiencing the exact same thing. Makes the game completely unplayable and it's not our connections, something is fucking up on their end. Pretty disappointing as I'm really enjoying the game.

Well, I had some lags too yesterday, but it was far from unplayable. Most of the time it was a smooth experience.

Jito

Banned
Well, I had some lags too yesterday, but it was far from unplayable. Most of the time it was a smooth experience.

Pretty unplayable when I'm stuck running on the spot and using the jetpack doesn't even launch me into the air. But yeh, you say it's not unplayable, I must be wrong then.

I cannot articulate how much I hate the rebel Base map on tatooine in Cargo. I fucking hate every centimeter of it and it's the only map I've ever played in Cargo. Capture the Flag is usually my favourite game mode but I hate it in this game because if that map.

Now you're just moving goal posts. We weren't talking about the OP Falcon, just X-wing vs. A-wing.

Also, the Falcon is only OP if the other team doesn't deliberately ram it with their Slave 1.

I did that twice in a match tonight. Ended up with about 20k points. I felt like such an asshole lol

Sometimes I wish this game had team chat so I can yell at people to help me capture a fucking capture point on Supremacy.

Also I just noticed this now but in Fighter Squadron, when you blow up another ship and you fly through the debris, you can hear the debris rattle against your ship. It's little things such as that which makes me love this game.

airjoca

Yesterday I played with a full party of members from my Battlefield platoon for the first time, we won like 10 games in a row. It makes a world of difference when a team is actually communicating and using strategy.

Jito

Banned
Just played my first few games of Droid Run and had a blast, didn't realise it was basically a domination mode. Really good stuff! No lag at all during those games, maybe it's just in the 40 players matches for me?

This game when it's firing on all cylinders is something magical. Some games I'm just in awe of the insanity that's going on around me

Hoth, Run out of the bunker getting blasted by about 10 different enemies while doing the 5 Ds. Finally jump into the trench and what do we have there, a Snowspeeder.
Take flight instantly take out a fighter followed by around 6 troops right on my first pass.

deoee

Supremacy wuld be way more fun if the people actually knew you have to capture points.
Instead on most of the maps the people just tend to zerg or play WW1. No one flanks or takes the both Heroes with shock spawn to swarm a point :|<

Quick question, wheres the best place to find other gamers to play with who use their mics during gameplay? Because I'm finding that to me no matter the mode, the multiplayer experience is starting to become a little hollow because there isn't anyone to communicate with. Is there a Gaf sign up list (or any other website place) that uses their mics regularly?

KingConan

Pretty unplayable when I'm stuck running on the spot and using the jetpack doesn't even launch me into the air. But yeh, you say it's not unplayable, I must be wrong then.

I didn't say that you were wrong, sounds like your lags are far worse though.

jesu

I've still to try Supremacy and Walker Assault and they're supposed to be the best modes!
I love Blast, so I've just been playing that.
Played Droid Run and did terribly so I'm not playing that again.
I also tried Fighter Squadron and that was pretty good.

Quick question, wheres the best place to find other gamers to play with who use their mics during gameplay? Because I'm finding that to me no matter the mode, the multiplayer experience is starting to become a little hollow because there isn't anyone to communicate with. Is there a Gaf sign up list (or any other website place) that uses their mics regularly?

PS4? If so, look in the OP, we have a Community set up.

ryseing

sullust survival

what the fuck

It's some bullshit.

Ended up rage quitting that mission.

I have a question

The PS1 and PS2 star wars games can't be bought with the 69.99 edition? I want to get those but there is no way?

Only way to get them is the voucher that came with the LE PS4 or buying them separately.

$70 edition is worthless unless you want the better box art.

There is no public game chat just FYI. Only way you can communicate is in party chat (which also serves as this game's party function).

PS4? If so, look in the OP, we have a Community set up.

Yep, PS4 here. How do you search for communities on PS4? I've looked but hadn't seen an option for it.

It's some bullshit.

Only way to get them is the voucher that came with the LE PS4 or buying them separately.

There is no public game chat just FYI. Only way you can communicate is in party chat (which also serves as this game's party function).

I gotcha. Yea that's one of the reasons I made my initial post.

Ghost23

Any tips for split screen survival master difficulty?

Also, is the blast trophy for getting the most kills glitched for anyone else?

wbarreda

I don’t know if it has already been discussed but the spawns in this game are not good. Just had a game where I spawned right in front of the same person 4 times in a row. I don’t know why many games, Halo 5 and BOPS III, have this problem. You would think that developers would put in some time to refine the spawn system.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Any tips for split screen survival master difficulty?

Also, is the blast trophy for getting the most kills glitches for anyone else?

Yup, got the top kills in Blast by 6 tonight and no trophy. Also all night losses in Droid Run have counted as wins and wins have counted as losses. I got the "Win 3 Droid Run Matches" challenge off of three losses. I have also rarely seen server synch problems of this magnitude before.

There's a great game in here somewhere under all the technical problems. After the Star Wars luster wears off, and you really start to dig into the gameplay, there's just worms everywhere under that rock. And I really don't think I'm ever going to win a round of Hero Hunt, which is one of the worst things I've ever played.

Durden77

When a speeder clutches out victory on hoth with 2 nearly full health walkers

1279082592656.jpg

The way I see it, the game does too much for you automatically and random (powerups wherever, no actual vehicles, no spawn point selection, little loadout customization) which detracts from the ability to turn the match in the blink of an eye. TF2 has such fine grained balanced gameplay that the matches always play out differently. Boom, a medic with an ubercharge and heavy turn the tide of battle. A spy manages to get behind enemy lines and saps all engineer devices. The gameplay is very layered, and battlefront lacks that. Matches usually play out very alike each time you play it.

Once the novelty of the arcade like gameplay (which DICE has implemented really well for the most part) it just starts feeling the same after a while. I actually hope DICE notices that and does something about it. I don't know what.

I think defined classes would help a lot. But hell, other things like spawn camping need to be balanced first.

Lack of communication runs it into the ground too. Either your team knows what they are doing the whole match, or they don't, and there's no way to correct the latter.

It's some bullshit.

wow thats huge bs....

So far really enjoying this game!

I'm totally shit on the ground, apparently decent in the air.

Had an epic game where right as the walker was about to fire it's shot and win on tatooine some legend in a fucking speeder harpooned the at-at and took it down. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Soooooo oGooooooood! hhnnnnnnng We barely killed the first walked right at the end and the rear was a full health, I actually said out loud to a my flat my we have lost this by a mile!

Biggest disappointment for me has to be the lack of voice chat and ability to make squads... What...the fuck. I can understand ok fair enough no squads but.... No voice chat? The fuck am I experiencing what year is this shit?

My only other complaint is the lack of customisable shit for your characters. I really hope the 4 expansions add a ton.

fritolay

The worst dam thing about this game, is having to kick my kids off constantly or waiting for my turn.

Seriously. I set up the Xbone and Halo 5 in their own room a week ago, but all they want to do now is play Star Wars, night and day on my system now.

Needless to say we're going to need multiple copies in the near future...

Seriously though, this is my kids first Star Wars game, and they absolutely ador it. I can only imagine if there were somthing like this for me when I was a kid. I grew up on the neon green starwars arcade box at the pizza place, and that still gives me a nostalgia rush thinking about it haha.

Make their console your "home" console in the settings. Then they can play the game at the same time as you play it on your own console. I know this as I have 2 XB1 beside each other and play 1 copy.

So far really enjoying this game!

I'm totally shit on the ground, apparently decent in the air.

Had an epic game where right as the walker was about to fire it's shot and win on tatooine some legend in a fucking speeder harpooned the at-at and took it down. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Soooooo oGooooooood! hhnnnnnnng We barely killed the first walked right at the end and the rear was a full health, I actually said out loud to a my flat my we have lost this by a mile!

Biggest disappointment for me has to be the lack of voice chat and ability to make squads... What...the fuck. I can understand ok fair enough no squads but.... No voice chat? The fuck am I experiencing what year is this shit?

My only other complaint is the lack of customisable shit for your characters. I really hope the 4 expansions add a ton.

Agreed on how ludicrous it is for there to be no voice chat for a multiplayer only game in 2015. Hoping DICE will pull a Bungie and patch in voice chat in game a couple of months after release.

Quonny

I was having fun until I realized how OP the A-Wing is.

Good lord. And the Falcon? Forget about it.

I'm just gonna send it back. I can't be assed to wait until they fix these things.

Klyka

Banned
I don't think I have ever seen a public voice chat in a game being used to actually have a team of strangers coordinate properly like you would with a premade team.
It always devolves into kids and idiots talking and spamming so that every voice chat in a game gets automatically disabled by me.

def sim

Please tell me you can disable the "Killed by" window in the kill screen.

I want to have fun, and not get pissed because it's the same guy killing me over and over again.

I'm pretty sure you can disable pieces of the HUD or all of it.

Edit: Turning off any info in the kill screen might require you to disable all of it.

Can someone explain to me how the party system works?
I'm in a PSN party with my friend but when I go to select him to be a partner on Pick a Partner, it says "No party members currently in the game."

We cant seem to get it working right.

Jito

Banned
Pretty sure I was just in a game of Walker Assault were the Empire had no Walkers but the game just kept going, rebels had like 20 Y-wings built up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom