• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

Finally was able to get a handle on the acceleration of the PC flight controls. I am now able to strafe people with confidence. Fun is being had.

My hands are always messed .Hand 1 is different than 2,however when I join a game they are always the same.Anyone else?

Interestingly enough, on PS4 my second hand always resets to blank, however on PC my second hand works just fine.

Funny, my hands keep switching on their own, at times I'll enter a match and have my second hand equipped, other times my first. I've made it a point to check which one is selected before a match begins, I shouldn't have to though.

gnexus

I just got the game for PC last night. I practiced with the tutorials and missions and single player stuff and had zero problems. I've entered multiplayer a few times, and each time, I get a DirectX error and the game crashes, or even hard locks up my PC. I'm running a 5820k, Titan X non overclocked, and 16GB ram. The game runs buttery smooth at around 110-140 frames, but then it just crashes out of nowhere..I've yet to be in a multiplayer match for more than 5 minutes without interruption. I'm on the latest 359.00 drivers, should I roll back?

I just got the game for PC last night. I practiced with the tutorials and missions and single player stuff and had zero problems. I've entered multiplayer a few times, and each time, I get a DirectX error and the game crashes, or even hard locks up my PC. I'm running a 5820k, Titan X non overclocked, and 16GB ram. The game runs buttery smooth at around 110-140 frames, but then it just crashes out of nowhere..I've yet to be in a multiplayer match for more than 5 minutes without interruption. I'm on the latest 359.00 drivers, should I roll back?

Try 358.91, clean reinstall with DDU

Makoto

Wow, the spawns. Played Supremacy on Imperial side and we literally had an AT-ST and several infantry on top of the Rebel spawn point and the Rebels just kept appearing in the same exact spot over and over again and we just pummeled them.

Simo

I'm having way too much fun with this and I haven't even tried out all the modes, battles or survivals yet. 0_O

Small story but I convinced a friend to pick up yesterday, who was going to get it anyway but was preferring to wait lol, and so after he completes the tutorial I take us in to a round of Fighter Squadron. He goes nuts and I'm also streaming it for another friend and while we're playing I switch to the cockpit view and remind my friend playing about how you can switch the view and he thought I was kidding until he did and all of a sudden he's in the cockpit of a X-Wing and losing his shit over the mic in the party. LOL

I wake up this morning and jump online and there he is, still online playing Fighter Squadron still. He invites me to his party and he's all like "ya know I'm not very good this mode and still trying to get the hang of it while getting my ass handed to me but fuck is this awesome! It's like I'm living out my childhood dream!"

Any who, just had a few great games of Blast. Loving the smaller scaled maps because the makes the battles more chaotic with intense firefights.

B-Dex

Walker Assault is really bugged. My team stomped the rebels on sullust and the next round as rebels there were only 2 occasions where one uplink was down for a minute but we only ever got 3-4 y wings. They had a near infinite stream of at-st and boba fett heroes. And even at the third uplink point, where we did manage to have 6 y-wings, after tow cabling the walker with 80ish health we couldn't do enough damage to kill the one that had 40% left. Like some weird balancing mechanic kicked in but just made it unfair. It also seemed the uplink phases were about 2/3 shorter than normal and the imperial team was pretty much spawning on top of us.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, few questions:

What the heck does the radar mean? There is an outer ring that lights up, and an inner. What are these, and what makes them light up?

And what is the deal with the partner system. Sometimes I get a partner, and then they disappear immediately or stay the entire match. Sometimes I get no partner at all. Can I choose a partner somehow?

sam777

What do you want more out of a game? If it's multiplayer and you love SW then get this. If it's the whole package then get black ops.

The BO campaign is garbage (even by non COD standards, so in other words, it's downright awful) Zombies is fantastic, in my opinion, but there seems to be a 50/50 split on who likes it and who doesn't. Multiplayer is great fun, but the maps are kind of uninspired, they're all good, but there aren't any great maps in my opinion. Then, there is nightmares mode, where you replay the campaign fighting zombies instead of regular baddies, but it's pretty mediocre. Visually, weaker than AW, music is alright but it's not amazing either considering it was composed by Jack Wall (mass effect). Sound design is trash.

Battlefront has 2 throwaway single player modes, and Survival which is solo or co-op and it's awesome. 15 rounds, wave based etc. Multiplayer is a blast as you'd expect from a DICE game, graphics are on another level, especially Endor, it's the first time visuals really feel next gen to me. Most of the MP game modes are pretty awesome and surprisingly quite varied. Soundtrack is SW, so it's top notch, sound design is incredible. Can't speak on longevity as I've only had it for a couple days. It's content light, but if you're mostly looking for a MP game, then you should be good.

COD definitely has a lot more content. So I say it depends on what you prefer and what exactly you're looking for. Just don't go in expecting a lot of content from SW and don't go into COD expecting the game to be as good as previous black ops titles, because sadly, it's nowhere near as good.

Thanks. I will get this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's a glorious game on a projector.

sFxxGFwl.png

Going to hop online in a few minutes for the first time. Been going through the training missions since Wednesday. Any tips so far on the mp? Seems like a long range weapon + jetpack is the best fit for me so far.

Well, looks like the jig is up with Fighter Squadron. Now when I win as Rebels, half the people back out because they don't want to be on the receiving end of A-wings & Falcon.

I won't play anymore until DICE addresses these balance issues.

Woorloog

Banned
You can shoot down the y wings before they hit the walkers?

You can, a single Ion Torpedo kills 'em. But you gotta be in the front line really, to have time to lock-on before the Y-Wing shoots. After it shoots, it becomes immune to attacks (i think).

B-Dex

You can, a single Ion Torpedo kills 'em. But you gotta be in the front line really, to have time to lock-on before the Y-Wing shoots. After it shoots, it becomes immune to attacks (i think).

Can confirm. I've shot one down with an Ion torpedo. You have to know where it is flying in from though or you're not gonna have enough time. I think it's impossible on Endor though.

mileS

I know a lot of people ignore the offline missions but I highly suggest you try hero battles (you pick any hero unit and fight the AI. Best done with no AI squad members) Just messing around with Luke for bit was a blast. So mobile and fun. I was getting used to his lock on, which I'm sure will help me in the online battles. I just wish you got more of a visual que that you are locked on. Sometimes its hard to tell.

bombshell

I shot it down with Ion Torpedo just after the Y-Wing shot and got the trophy for shooting it down, so it's not immune immediately after shooting. I don't know if it's immune later in its flight.

Woorloog

Banned
I shot it down with Ion Torpedo just after the Y-Wing shot and got the trophy for shooting it down, so it's not immune immediately after shooting. I don't know if it's immune later in its flight.

Ah, then it becomes immune soon after firing, when it boosts away. At least i couldn't shoot it down with a fighter at that point, and i'm pretty sure i couldn't lock an Ion Torpedo anymore either.

I assume destroying a Y-wing even after it shoots is still a good thing... frankly the Y-wing attack mechanics are a mystery to me.

bombshell

Ah, then it becomes immune soon after firing, when it boosts away. At least i couldn't shoot it down with a fighter at that point, and i'm pretty sure i couldn't lock an Ion Torpedo anymore either.

I assume destroying a Y-wing even after it shoots is still a good thing... frankly the Y-wing attack mechanics are a mystery to me.

I'm not sure, but I would think it doesn't do anything to help your team unless you shoot it down before it shoots.

Ok, few questions:

What the heck does the radar mean? There is an outer ring that lights up, and an inner. What are these, and what makes them light up?

And what is the deal with the partner system. Sometimes I get a partner, and then they disappear immediately or stay the entire match. Sometimes I get no partner at all. Can I choose a partner somehow?

Outer ring points you in the direction of the most recent enemy shooting/explosion - indicating they are are a good distance away.

The inner pie slice ring let's you know that you are close to an enemy, either they are running around or shooting - the direction it's coming from is pointed to by the pie slice.

The middle circle let's you know they are right next to you or directly above/below you, in a tree or a hole or a level below you.

JB1981

Really need to play with a squad that has good situational awareness because of the poor spawn system and the ease with which you can get flanked or shot in the back. Is there a PS4 gaf group?

autoduelist

So I played the beta of this for a bit, and found it likeable.

However... I'm currently fully addicted to TLOUR mp and it's survivor mode -- one life per round. That speaks to my Counterstrike roots.

However, I also used to love and adore Battlefield 2 on PS3, and I know this has ties to the Battlefield franchise.

I played Hardline briefly and it didn't stick.

So... anyone think it's worth getting this? Does Battlefield 4 still have a community or did it shift to this? I wouldn't mind giving BF4 a shot now that it's cheaper. Or should I just stick with TLOUR since I know and love it? Or should i break the bank and just jump to Battlefront [my fear being it's too simplistic, at least based on my beta play].

However... I'm currently fully addicted to TLOUR mp and it's survivor mode -- one life per round. That speaks to my Counterstrike roots.

However, I also used to love and adore Battlefield 2 on PS3, and I know this has ties to the Battlefield franchise.

So... anyone think it's worth getting this? Does Battlefield 4 still have a community or did it shift to this? I wouldn't mind giving BF4 a shot now that it's cheaper. Or should I just stick with TLOUR since I know and love it? Or should i break the bank and just jump to Battlefront [my fear being it's too simplistic, at least based on my beta play].

I don't really think this game scratches the sandbox Battlefield itch, honestly. BF4 still has a community--I played a few hours last night.

I recommend EA Access. You get BF4 AND Hardline with that, plus a 10 hour trial of Battlefront.

Is there anything that shows the actual button controls? I have no idea how to change views. I chose 3rd person as default but have no idea how to change it.

heringer

How is DICE's track record for fixing and tweaking stuff?

I'm having fun with the game, but it really needs some tweaking and rebalancing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is there anything that shows the actual button controls? I have no idea how to change views. I chose 3rd person as default but have no idea how to change it.

In the settings under controls, one of the menus has start with a view, or something. I am not home or I would snap a pic.

Hold down on the D pad

And this during a match. But you can also set a default in the options menu.

How is DICE's track record for fixing and tweaking stuff?

I'm having fun with the game, but it really needs some tweaking and rebalancing.

From the past, they seemed pretty responsive and supportive to things like this. As far as I seen anyway.

autoduelist

I don't really think this game scratches the sandbox Battlefield itch, honestly. BF4 still has a community--I played a few hours last night.

I recommend EA Access. You get BF4 AND Hardline with that, plus a 10 hour trial of Battlefront.

PS4 here (thought TLOUR gave that away, but I should have specified). I can get BF4 fairly cheap, though. Battlefront would be full price... but I have a feeling BF4 is more to my overall liking, unless there is hidden depth in Battlefront I didn't see during the demo [which is quite possible].

Bastables

Today: uninstalled. After the first honeymoon day, I've ejected the disk twice in a fit of aggravation. The actual gunfights are driving me nuts (besides the grenade spamming, the randomness of maps flooded with powerup pickups, sniping & homing rocket gun, the borderline aimbot strength of the aim assists.)

/r
Homecoming rocket gun warns you when you'real being locked and give a directional warning when it' coming towards you. You can also pick a smoke grenade grade that negates it if you have run across open areas with no dead ground.

Game looks beautiful, controls perfectly, sounds amazing. Best recreation of Star Wars I've seen in a game. Was giddy the first day of playing, couldn't love it more. Gotten to level 20 so far, gold star in all the trials.

Today: uninstalled. After the first honeymoon day, I've ejected the disk twice in a fit of aggravation. The actual gunfights are driving me nuts (besides the grenade spamming, the randomness of maps flooded with powerup pickups, sniping & homing rocket gun, the borderline aimbot strength of the aim assists.)

There's something wonky with the connections, lag comp maybe. In one game I'll be doing fine, head-to-head outcomes look and feel as expected. The next, I'm losing every match-up, even when it appears I've gotten a clear drop on my opponent pumping 5 explosive rounds into them at fairly short range...and they look at me and I'm dead. I die, then I hear their 2 shots that killed me after I'm dead. And dying in the same aggravating ways as I did with CoD - slipping around a corner to avoid shots, then die a moment later after I'm clearly behind cover. I'd feel a little better if I could select my server region and see my ping, if it's a connection issue, but there are no such options.

I haven't been so frustrated with gameplay since I quit playing Call of Duty. Actually, the games feel and play very similar, imo. I recall seeing a video like this Star Wars CoD mod on YouTube years ago. Tbh, DICE's SW:B is closer to this CoD4 mod, than the original SW:BF games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGwEuBkBBso

I would keep Battlefront, if it had big bot matches, like the originals. I'd love to be able to select a map, gametype, number of friendly & enemy bots. But all this BF has are skirmishes, with no way to modify them except for difficulty level.
Really, it's these big bot matches that have kept me and my kids playing SW:BF2 on PC and Xbox for years. They still play it, as a matter of fact.

Maybe in a year, with double the content and hopefully adding some kind of big bot battles to the GotY Premium version, I'll pick it up again. For now, I'm gonna be one of "those" guys who's trading it in. Seeing it on my shelf will just be disappointing, and I can use the $30 PawnStop will give me towards Rainbow Six in 10 days.

/r

This is exactly how I feel.

DirtyLarry

Few questions. They are bolded for ease of reading.

If you use 500 Credits to skip on Objective, do you get the credits and XP for that skipped objective or do you just lose them?
I just do not see me getting the Shock Blaster objective anytime in the near future.

Also checked out Heroes mode for the first time today, was a lot of fun, but I definitely suck with certain Heroes. Luke in particular, I just do not get what makes him powerful? Any tips for playing Luke would be welcome.

TIA,
DL

arimanius

This plays nothing like battlefield. I didn't play the beta and thought that it would. I'm pretty disappointed in it since I went into it with those expectations. If you found the beta likeable then you may enjoy it. I enjoy it for short bursts but battlefield games I used to be able to play all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom