• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durden77

The in between match stuff is excellent. Some of the best I've ever seen in an online shooter. You're in a new match before you know it, without losing any options. So smooth.

DirtyLarry

You know I just realized something tonight that I totally forgot about as I have been enjoying myself so damn much...
I actually did not expect to play this game the night of the 17th.
I fully prepared myself for the reality that the servers would be an absolute mess.
However it does appear that overall an EA/DICE Game launched and the servers actually worked for the majority of players on Day 1.
Credit where credit is due.
Hats off for getting it right this time around.

Wow, some of you really nailed down the experience in the past few pages. Literally overnight the game has turned into Jump Packs to extremely fortified or hard-to-hit areas, homing missiles, and spawn camping.

I was playing Supremacy on Hoth and all three of these were flagrant. At one point there was an AT-ST and 5+ Imperials just picking off the Rebels as they all continued to spawn in the same spot. I tried not to get frustrated by it.

Then I went into Blast, somehow thinking it would be slightly better. Nope, it was less of the spawn camping and more of the other two.

I'm certain this will be addressed in due time, but for right now it is totally lame.

Tubie

Yooooo, the single player content in this game is actually really good. I recently found myself trying to complete all the challenges.

Also, If you're new to FPS multiplayer games then the single player content in Battlefront will actually prepare you for multiplayer way better than a traditional CoD or Battlefield campaign will ever do for those games.

anothertech

The worst dam thing about this game, is having to kick my kids off constantly or waiting for my turn.

Seriously. I set up the Xbone and Halo 5 in their own room a week ago, but all they want to do now is play Star Wars, night and day on my system now.

Needless to say we're going to need multiple copies in the near future...

Seriously though, this is my kids first Star Wars game, and they absolutely ador it. I can only imagine if there were somthing like this for me when I was a kid. I grew up on the neon green starwars arcade box at the pizza place, and that still gives me a nostalgia rush thinking about it haha.

Tubie

Are there any third party stats sites like BF4Stats?

No.

They didn't add Battlefront to their Battlelog ecosystem. It was the main and only way a site like BF stats got all their info from.

I imagine EA realized Battlelog can actually hurt them after all the Hardline numbers started to come out.

Game is awesome but I really hate the party system in this game. Not to mention you have to really be paying attention to see somebody starting a game and to join since it doesnt make much of any sound.

Delio

Face against a good team of all A-wings and that advantage goes out the window.

Why I always spawn in as a A-wing Just want to stand out in the crowd. it's the one ship aside from the hero ships that I do really impressive with. I'd call myself a really good pilot but only when I have a A-wing lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No.

They didn't add Battlefront to their Battlelog ecosystem. It was the main and only way a site like BF stats got all their info from.

I imagine EA realized Battlelog can actually hurt them after all the Hardline numbers started to come out.

Or maybe it is an IP/Licensing conflict of having a game reliant to an outside web program, versus having it build into the game itself. Maybe Disney did not want so much "EA control".

Ecto311

Is ea access a good way to try this out or is there some stuff missing in that version. I understand that the only limit is the 10 hours.

MrDaravon

My biggest takeaways from several hours of play is that Hero Hunt is absolute hot trash, and that the spawn issues are really bad on some of the maps in Supremacy. Jundland Wastes in particular stands out to me, if the Rebel side captures the sandcrawler/neutral capture point at the beginning the imperials can get spawn camped so incredibly easy and hard. Had multiple matches tonight on both sides of that, a remotely competent team can 100% lock down the spawns on the Imperial side worse than anything I saw in the beta on Hoth. It's actually outrageous.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is ea access a good way to try this out or is there some stuff missing in that version. I understand that the only limit is the 10 hours.

It is the full version.

That, or Battlelog was simply awful.

Having to actually be playing and logged into a server with a game currently in progress simply to access your menu to change settings was beyond awful.

I looked at Battelog, like masked DRM.

WillyFive

Or maybe it is an IP/Licensing conflict of having a game reliant to an outside web program, versus having it build into the game itself. Maybe Disney did not want so much "EA control".

That, or Battlelog was simply awful.

Having to actually be playing and logged into a server with a game currently in progress simply to access your menu to change settings was beyond awful.

Pastry

Banned
Am I the only one that thinks Fighter Squadron really sucks? THe A-Wing and heroes are overpowered and just make it a snooze fest.

Wow, some of you really nailed down the experience in the past few pages. Literally overnight the game has turned into Jump Packs to extremely fortified or hard-to-hit areas, homing missiles, and spawn camping.

I was playing Supremacy on Hoth and all three of these were flagrant. At one point there was an AT-ST and 5+ Imperials just picking off the Rebels as they all continued to spawn in the same spot. I tried not to get frustrated by it.

Then I went into Blast, somehow thinking it would be slightly better. Nope, it was less of the spawn camping and more of the other two.

I'm certain this will be addressed in due time, but for right now it is totally lame.

The spawn camping and homing missile spam is really apparent in Supremacy on Hoth. As Rebels, you stand out like a sore thumb and trying to traverse the map is difficult when all you see is 'enemy tracking' every few seconds.

Why I always spawn in as a A-wing Just want to stand out in the crowd. it's the one ship aside from the hero ships that I do really impressive with. I'd call myself a really good pilot but only when I have a A-wing lol.

Same here. I only do well as Imperials if an enemy player(s) uses the X-wing. The worst I've done as an Imperial is 1/14/5 facing a team of all A-wings. My one kill came from using the Slave 1 to kamikaze the Falcon.

Durden77

I just became Vader for the first time, defended an indoor uplink station against around 25 troops. And then the doors opened once more and revealed not troops, but Luke. We had an epic clash, and by the hair of my chin, I killed my son.

Fuck it, this is the greatest game of all time. Even though it's not and that's ok. But it is.

Pastry

Banned
Just played a game of supremacy where Boba Fett was like 50-2. He jet packed to the top of the map and just sniped he whole game. They really botched balancing this game.

Now you're just moving goal posts. We weren't talking about the OP Falcon, just X-wing vs. A-wing.

Also, the Falcon is only OP if the other team doesn't deliberately ram it with their Slave 1.

Pretty if the Falcon finds Slave I first, it can just turn on its shield and ram without consequence.

Just played as the Empire on Endor Walker Assault and we managed to win, it was super close and stressful. They never got more than 3 Y-Wings for each section. The walker had maybe 5 health when we won.

I continue to be really surprised by how much fun I am having with this game. The unlocks/drip feed/carrot-on-a-stick stuff is frustrating and kind of bad, the gaps between things and the variety of those items is not very good. But between Heroes vs. Villains, Walker Assault, Supremacy, the visuals, the sound, the general chaos, the pretty solid shooting, it's a really nice, laid back experience to end the day off with and I'm glad to have it. The game fills a nice multiplayer void in my life. Halo is my go to but I like to do well in it when I play it and it takes a bit of work to play and fight and do well in that game and with Battlefront it's nice to have a multiplayer game where I don't need to think to much. Just sit back and have some good, casual fun.

Am I the only one that thinks Fighter Squadron really sucks? THe A-Wing and heroes are overpowered and just make it a snooze fest.

Yeah they need to tone down the Hero health so that the only way it survives is if your team is constantly killing guys on your ass. Right now you can tank so much damage it is incredible. A-Wings just have broken hitboxes, that better be fixed in the next patch. 99% of my matches now on Rebel have me only having 0-1 deaths. If I get anymore it is mostly to an AI X-Wing suiciding into me.

They also need to raise the score to 300 at the very least. The better people are getting the faster the game is ending(which sucks). Most games now for me last between 3 and 4 minutes.

Etnos

Banned
I'm trying to like this, but gameplay really lacks dept to it

I'm not even complaining about the lack of meaningful progression

CS, TF2 and other don't really have unlocks nor progression

I'm having a hard time articulating why is this game so bland after a few hours

It all feels so random

I'm trying to like this, but gameplay really lacks dept to it

I'm not even complaining about the lack of meaningful progression

CS, TF2 and other don't really have unlocks nor progression

I'm having a hard time articulating why is this game so bland after a few hours

It all feels so random

I agree. I don't hate the game but I don't love it. I merely like it. For the time being.

Being pwned in this makes a nice change from being pwned in Blops 3 and Halo 5.
I really only see me playing this for a week or so (which I'm fine with). One thing, I found trying out the different modes really does shake things up a bit.

Battles on Sullust has a different map not available in the main modes. It's another Imperial Hangar except this time there are two AT-ATs sitting inside with scaffolding all the way up.

Dr Prob

Banned
Few gripes:

- Hope they do something with the air spawns in Walker Assault & Supremacy. Once a team takes out the enemy air at the start of a match all they have to do is camp the area where the new fighters will pop up. Not great.

I know people here seem to really like the vehicle pickups (and I honestly don't know what the alternative is due to the lack of a deployment screen) but I wonder how often people end up in the air simply because they happened to end up next to a ship pickup as opposed to actually wanting to be up there/having a game plan.

- On the subject of spawns: They're terrible. Plus, unless you're partied up, half the time you won't be assigned a partner for whatever reason, meaning you spend more time back at those shitty spawns. For those who play Battlefield, it's like playing Rush without a squad and having to start back at the deployment every time you die, only there are enemies waiting for you too. Happened to have a vehicle turret and decided to push up a bit on Sullust in order to lay it down/soften up the AT-ST on its way to the objective. Noticed a teammate milling around up there and wondered what he was doing until I saw him slaughter a whole bunch of freshly spawned enemies. Not great.

- Fuck the Homing Shot. Yesterday I was joking around about it; today I'm serious. Got a little tired of just playing the same small selection of maps in the "big" modes and decided to try some Blast. What fun, it's just people camping on top of the Sandcrawler with the Homing Shot, meaning you spend most of the match navigating around their locks as opposed to actually playing deathmatch. Not great!

- Boba Fett is a cheap asshole. Even when you're using him it's hard not to go, "this guy is a cheap asshole!"

ramuh

Played it all tonight. Had a fun tie with it. Although playing it gave me flashbacks..... I want another KOTOR.... :(

Spawns are horrible and easily camped, the weapons and unlocks are crazy unbalanced, the game will split up parties across teams and then persist in keeping them split, and there aren't enough maps and the season pass is crazy expensive and I'm loving every fucking second of this oh my fucking god how did they do this.

Man can you imagine a jedi knight game with graphics like this? too bad Kyle Katarn don't exist anymore.....

Btw when does battle of Jakku Coming out? kind of getting tired of playing the same 4 maps.

I know it's been said before, but man, they really need to tone down Boba Fett and quick. I had a game where I got over a 60 kill streak with him. He's so powerful it almost feels boring after awhile. Maybe have Boba on a timer or something?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played for five hours straight tonight. Can't remember the last time I've done that with a competitive MP game since Halo 2 LAN parties in high school. Game is just so fun to play.

I can't guys. I can't. Playing Heroes vs Villians is killing me inside. Nobody sticks together and we continously lose. At one point I was the emporer and followed Darth and we hid, then all the sudden Luke came up so it was a perfect ambush. All the sudden I look back and Darth ran off... Wtf?! Why?! This is your job!! I hate everyone.

By God finally managed to win a round as the empire on Endor Walker Assault. The match was only like 12v12 for the first two sections though and the teams were insanely unbalanced but I can finally say I got through all the bullshit and disadvantage.

Pulse cannon/homing shot need to be limited to a set number of uses per match. Has to be the least skillful weapon I've ever seen in a MP game.
I know it's been said before, but man, they really need to tone down Boba Fett and quick. I had a game where I got over a 60 kill streak with him. He's so powerful it almost feels boring after awhile. Maybe have Boba on a timer or something?
I think you're just good with him because he's the most incompetent hero when I'm in games.

Laputa_94

I was apart of a miracle known as winning walker assault on Endor as the imperials. So satisfying after loosing at it so many times.

Ferrio

Banned
Think I might of threw a round of HvV. I was Emp, and instead of attacking Luke I just watched him and Vader go at it. I didn't think it would be right to intervene. Then Luke ran like a bitch, and I was pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom