• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I believe that 13 million was for the end of the fiscal year, which is March if I'm not mistaken.

It is. (I think it's March, yeah.)

It still seems pretty high though. It's always struck me as overly optimistic. Of course, I'm sitting here at a laptop spending free time making internet comments; I don't have access to all their data. I trust that there was some rhyme to it, but it feels off to me. 9 million feels much more viable.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

It still seems pretty high though. It's always struck me as overly optimistic. Of course, I'm sitting here at a laptop spending free time making internet comments; I don't have access to all their data. I trust that there was some rhyme to it, but it feels off to me. 9 million feels much more viable.
What do you mean always? They adjusted their forecast 21 days ago, unless you have insider knowledge.

James93

Are you sure? When they did the same thing with Battlefield 4 China Rising it was part of the season pass as well, or have we gotten official confirmation that Jakku is separate from the 4 map packs in the season pass?

Its seem Jakku was a preorder incentive, there is only 2 maps.

I'm confused. Are we saying BF sales will fall far short this month?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jakku is free for everyone.

Makoto

Maybe it's because everyone played Walker Assault Hoth for the beta but it seems like every Walker Assault map other than Hoth is almost cakewalk status for the Rebels?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm confused. Are we saying BF sales will fall far short this month?

Well, I dunno what everyone else is saying. All I'm saying is that I think the game is going to fall short of what a bunch of people on GAF were seemingly anticipating, and that 13 million units sold by the end of the fiscal year strikes me as an optimistic number from EA.

And, while GAF will explode and say it sold badly, it will have in fact done decently. Estimates were through the roof here.

Again, just my prediction.

Special C

Hero Hunt is the only terrible mode in the game. It would actually be ok if it was based on who did the most damage to the hero but its just pure luck on who gets the last hit.

Digby

Neo Member
On my end it feels like I've got a good bead on my opponent and hitting them, but they're taking an excessive amount of shots to drop. And I feel myself surprised and quickly taken down too frequently. I don't see much rubber banding in character motion, it seems to be all on the projectiles or they're doing a good job of hiding it.

Nevertheless 170ms ping is unplayable.

Holy shit you just described my issue. I could not figure out why i was getting ruined, switched games in disgust, do awesome, switch modes, get ruined again.

im gonna run that ping command on the console, thanks for the info!

They're really low relative to the "this game is Star Wars, it's going to be #1 on NPD, we have a new Call of Duty, ladies and gentlemen" mentality that took GAF by storm.

PC is in fact kinda low, though.

Remember too that this is only a snapshot of currently online players, not total. For a PS4 game, especially a DICE game the numbers are great.

Makoto

Plus, PC gamers are of a certain mentality, a game like Battlefront won't be hardcore enough to hold their attention. Its why the peak for BF4 on PC has stayed the same while all other platforms have gone down.

http://bf4stats.com/
I think it's hardcore factor is irrelevant. Arma 3 is hardcore but cannot boast better peak numbers than Battlefront. Plus, the parity between PC and PS4 is only 3,000 players as far as peak goes.

Edit: Battlefield has also always been a mainstay of the PC, it got started on PC so it makes sense that players would stick around on the PC. Battlefront was on both PCs and consoles when it was first released.

Yeah, very true. Especially the last part.

That's good to know. I was arguing with someone earlier over longevity. This game will have legs. If I can still find a full game for Evolve, BF will be fine.

How do you think the bundles sold? I've heard really good things. My cousin works at GameStop as assistant manager. He said the midnight launch was really packed, and both bundles are seeing a lot of movement.

That's good to know. I was arguing with someone earlier over longevity. This game will have legs. If I can still find a full game for Evolve, BF will be fine.

How do you think the bundles sold? I've heard really good things. My cousin works at GameStop as assistant manager. He said the midnight launch was really packed, and both bundles are seeing a lot of movement.

When I went into my BestBuy to pickup my game at 10am on launch day (no midnight release) there were at least 10 of the special PS4s in their preorder closet.

Quonny

Just popped this in for about an hour.

Played the deathmatch once. Was pretty meh.

Played Walker Assault. All it said was to "defend the uplink". It was just us killing them and them killing us over and over. Nothing ever happened. There was no timer, just some icons at the top. Played it for about 20 minutes with literally nothing happening, so I quit. No idea what that mode is about, but it was really boring. At this point I was ready to send it back to Gamefly but thought I'd try the Fighter Squadron mode.

FINALLY, FUN! Man, this mode is awesome. Love the dogfights. I had a match where three of us stuck together like a real formation and just annihilated everything. So much fun. This is the mode I will play, no questions.

It's like Star Fox multiplayer, but in Star Wars. Probably won't hold my interest too long but man, what a blast.

Makoto

It won't be an issue as the game ages but I think this would've been much more fun had the jet pack been the first unlock instead grenades. In fact, I think making the grenades one of the last unlocks would've made things a bit more tolerable. :p

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

I worked the midnight release shift at GameStop, too, actually. The bundles did well. I'll try to remember to dig up the exact number tomorrow.

The midnight in general was pretty good -- we hit our sales expectations. But our expectations were fairly modest. We had half of CoD for Battlefront and that's basically what we saw.

Why are people dumb in Fighter Squadron? Everyone on my team goes for the X-wing just to get shot down easily and yet they keep on spawning in them.

Plus, PC gamers are of a certain mentality, a game like Battlefront won't be hardcore enough to hold their attention. Its why the peak for BF4 on PC has stayed the same while all other platforms have gone down.

http://bf4stats.com/

I'm not sure what point you're driving at? Your kinda saying that console gamers have low attention spans. Which I don't think you meant. BF4 get's a lot of support which keeps its audience engaged. The last BF felt like an expansion pack which is why it's userbase dropped off hard, regardless of platform.

Looks like dice released a map of endor. This should help a few of you.

IMG_2079.jpg

Endor is so damn pretty, probably the first time a game has really looked next gen to me.

But they really need to increase the ticket count to at least 300 in Fighter Squadron, matches are too short.

Why are people dumb in Fighter Squadron? Everyone on my team goes for the X-wing just to get shot down easily and yet they keep on spawning in them.

What's wrong with the X-wing? I always use it and do great. Just had a match an hour ago where I went 9-14-3 using it and I think I unknowingly killed the same guy several times or something because the next match he was using the Millennium Falcon and I'm pretty sure he was seeking me out because after the match ended he had like 6 kills on me and he sent me a message saying, "Not so hot now fkn fggt!" lol.

I worked the midnight release shift at GameStop, too, actually. The bundles did well. I'll try to remember to dig up the exact number tomorrow.

The midnight in general was pretty good -- we hit our sales expectations. But our expectations were fairly modest. We had half of CoD for Battlefront and that's basically what we saw.

Hmmm. Gets me thinking. How did the CoD bundle perform at a higher price? You think PS4'll break a million this month?

Ferrio

Banned

I agree A wing is better, but X-wing is not horrible and has one advantage. CPU units don't spawn in A-wings, so anyone in an A-wing is a player... easy to spot. X-wings can hide in the crowd.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Hmmm. Gets me thinking. How did the CoD bundle perform at a higher price? You think PS4'll break a million this month?

The CoD bundle continues to do great. Black Ops 3 is poised to turn some heads sales-wise; it definitely feels like it's on track to outpace Advanced Warfare by a decent bit.

I do believe PS4 has a real shot at cracking one million, but I'm a pretty conservative armchair analyst so I don't think it goes any higher. 950k-1.1 million is my thought right now.

What's wrong with the X-wing? I always use it and do great. Just had a match an hour ago where I went 9-14-3 using it and I think I unknowingly killed the same guy several times or something because the next match he was using the Millennium Falcon and I'm pretty sure he was seeking me out because after the match ended he had like 6 kills on me and he sent me a message saying, "Not so hot now fkn fggt!" lol.

The X-wing is at a big disadvantage since it's easier to shoot down. For some reason, when you get behind an X-wing, it's over. The A-wing on the other hand has this weird hitbox where your shots doesn't register half the time, plus it's easier to do maneuvers and shake off your opponent. Your opponent gets so frustrated that they move on to easier targets. I know because when I face a good A-wing pilot, it's hard as hell for me to take them down.

I agree A wing is better, but X-wing is not horrible and has one advantage. CPU units don't spawn in A-wings, so anyone in an A-wing is a player... easy to spot. X-wings can hide in the crowd.

Face against a good team of all A-wings and that advantage goes out the window.

MrTexor

I got a question... when playing multiplayer, if you are not in a party, how do you choose a partner? Sometimes it seems like the system just gives me a partner, sometimes I play without one. Is there a way to get one?

Woorloog

Banned
I got a question... when playing multiplayer, if you are not in a party, how do you choose a partner? Sometimes it seems like the system just gives me a partner, sometimes I play without one. Is there a way to get one?

Nope, it is random, tied to whether there are players available or not.
Which is annoying when your partner leaves and the game doesn't give you another...
Really, 3 or 4 man squads would have been better.

Boke1879

Again if anyone is down to party up on PS4 on occasion add me. Boke18. Down to play whatever modes. having lots of fun with this game.

Woorloog

Banned
I hear blasters while listening to music. Some notes or something just sound like blasters to me now. (I use headphones.)

I'm going to need another game, alternate between it and Battlefront. Otherwise i'm getting an overdose of Star Wars.

The X-wing is at a big disadvantage since it's easier to shoot down. For some reason, when you get behind an X-wing, it's over. The A-wing on the other hand has this weird hitbox where your shots doesn't register half the time, plus it's easier to do maneuvers and shake off your opponent. Your opponent gets so frustrated that they move on to easier targets. I know because when I face a good A-wing pilot, it's hard as hell for me to take them down.

Gonna have to give it a try the next time I played, when I first started playing the mode I was using the A-wing because it seemed better, but then I started getting better so I switched to the X-wing and have been doing fine with it, but I'll give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom